St. Mary's Gaels Blue Ribbon Preview

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

St. Mary's Gaels Blue Ribbon Preview

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

On December 27 @ 10pm ET, Rhody will face the St. Mary's Gaels, a team that has averaged over 26 wins the past 5 seasons, including NCAA Tournament appearances in 2008, 2010, and 2012. They lost in the round of 64 both in 2008 and 2012, but advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2010. Over this span their worst RPI was 53 and they averaged 41, including #30 in both 2012 and 2010.

Many Rhody fans are not very familiar with this program, so fortunately ESPN has made their Blue Ribbon season preview available to everyone:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... mary-gaels
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: St. Mary's Gaels Blue Ribbon Preview

Unread post by Blue Man »

Returning 4 from that team? Wow. That's even tougher than I thought. Kudos to this coaching staff for putting a schedule like this together.

It'll be nice to see what kind of teams we play moving forward. Plus it advertises how little importance our past staff put on this aspect. There's a reason teams like Mich State can win 18 games and go to the tournament, while we would win in the 20's and be out. SOS.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Randy Bennett is an outstanding coach and should get a big time job soon if he wants it
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I didn't read the preview; but aren’t they under investigation for recruiting violations? Often when a team comes out nowhere they seem to find some violations.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

they haven't really come out of no where, they are in the same conference as Gonzaga (WAC) and have been steadily rising. I have no idea if they are under investigation however
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If I understand the investigation correctly, it is surrounding the recruitment of the Australian players that gave them the sudden success they started having a few years back.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

fair enough
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They have had that Australian pipeline for quite awhile. I hope they didnt cheat as I like that coach and program
0 x