RI Independent: Dan Hurley eager to transform Rhody

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RI Independent: Dan Hurley eager to transform Rhody

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan Hurley eager to transform Rhody into a Winner

Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:28 pm | Updated: 12:33 pm, Thu Oct 18, 2012.

By Bill Koch, Staff Writer

Dan Hurley wants nothing to do with the team picture.

It’s Media Day at Keaney Gymnasium in Kingston, an opportunity to interact with the University of Rhode Island men’s basketball staff and players. A blue background is set up along the sidelines for individual headshots, and the 2012-13 Rams are joking with one another about who looks best in a jacket and tie. A row of folding chairs is set up at midcourt for the traditional group shot, with guards sitting in the front row and frontcourt players standing behind them. The coaching staff is noticeably absent, looking on with some amusement as the players attempt to organize themselves.

“Team picture? I don’t do that,” Hurley said to the photographer on hand. “The last time I took a team picture, we lost seven games.”

That one season is the type that makes coaches as driven and intense as Hurley restless throughout the summer. It represented a third of his losses in nine years with a Saint Benedict’s Preparatory School program he built into a national power.

Read more at...

http://www.independentri.com/sports/art ... 375bb.html
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: RI Independent: Dan Hurley eager to transform Rhody

Unread post by adam914 »

Great article. Ok seriously...can this season just start already!!!!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm already a Biruta fan, and not just because he's Lithuanian!
“I know what I’m getting myself into,” said Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta, who played for Hurley in high school at Saint Benedict’s and will be forced to sit out this season per NCAA rules. “I know in the long run it’s going to pay off. I’m not sitting out with any random coach – I’m sitting out with Coach Hurley. That extra year with Coach Hurley and the coaching staff is going to be great.”
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I know we're not supposed to quote, but I found this hilarious:
Senior forward Ryan Brooks, a Mays Landing native, became the example for that particular lesson when he opted for a fall away jumper on the baseline instead of going strong to the rim in a 1-on-1 drill.
“You make Jersey look bad!” Hurley yelled from across the court, one of the more spectacular outbursts of the morning. Brooks’ shot selection was deemed reason enough to run yet another set of crosscourt sprints.
Let's hope Brooks can turn it around. If Big O's not eligible, he's gonna see plenty of minutes out of necessity.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

hahaha, I loved that line. Not only does Hurley seem like a great coach, but a great guy as well.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL