Kellogg extended at UMass for between 665-800k per year

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Kellogg extended at UMass for between 665-800k per year

Unread post by RF1 »

Extension of three years added to contract which will run through the 2016-17 season.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... -extension
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Kellogg extended at UMass for between 665-800k per year

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I hope UMass makes the NCAA Tournament this year (and it's not wiped from the records later). In all seriousness, we need as many teams in the A10 to demonstrate that they are contenders for NCAA bids on a somewhat regular basis. For too long, it has been just a few teams that could be expected to make the Dance.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

More detail from the Daily Hampshire Gazette:

Link:
http://www.gazettenet.com/blogs/umasssp ... basketball

Salary Compensation Details:
Base Salary $250,000 per year
Speaking Appearances, television, & radio $415,000 per year

The other compensation total can reach as high as $550,000 if he reaches certain goals (even if the total incentives value of the goals below plus the $415,000 adds up to more, his added compensation is capped at $550,000). Kellogg receives:
* $75,000 for making NCAA Tournament
* $25,000 for a final ranking of 60 or better in the Ratings Percentage Index (which compares all Division I teams based on on-court success and schedule strength)
* $25,000 for strength of schedule ranked in top 75
* $25,000 for 20 Division I wins
* $20,000 if home attendance averages over 5,500 fans per game.
* 20,000 for reaching the NIT
* $20,000 top four conference finish
* $20,000 for team academic progress rate score of over 940
* $20,000 for a graduation retention rate of 80 percent of higher

Kellogg has additional incentives not subject to the $550,000 cap of $25,000 per round of the NCAA Tournament UMass reaches and $5,000 per round of the NIT, figures that are the same as in his previous contract.

If Kellogg leaves his position before his contract is complete he would now have to pay UMass $500,000 an increase of $200,000.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote:
* $25,000 for strength of schedule ranked in top 75

I guess that was never in Baron's contract.

Also, how are there this many details on Kellogg's contract, but not Hurleys or Barons?

I'm just curious to know the details
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If I was UMass I would have held off on an extension until after this year. Kellogg has turned the program around but I'm not sure he has what it takes to elevate the program to consistent NCAA tourney contender.

Kellogg and UMass had a very good season last year but I would have liked to see UMass accomplish a little bit more before opening their checkbook.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

umass has an early game with the Friars. It will be interesting to see if they can keep their momentum from last year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

neil wrote:umass has an early game with the Friars. It will be interesting to see if they can keep their momentum from last year.

UMass really needs to beat PC so it gets good compettion in the later rounds of that tournament. The UMass OOC schedule is really weak. I don't think Kellogg will be getting 25k this year for that clause. As a matter of fact, UMass has had some pretty bad OOC schedules under Kellogg ever since he got there. Their home OOC schedules are especially ugly.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What!!! No incentive for team GPA? Muskrat should write an Op-ed.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the move but I think they should have waited til after the year also
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

The poor UMass OOC schedule has also hurt them at the gate especially given their obviously fair weather fan base. For example, last year they had four OOC games and two A-10 games with under 3000 in attendance. This response for a 25 win team. Contrasting 7-24 URI which had two sub 3000 crowds, the only two in the 10 year history of the Ryan Center for regular season games. That Baron was in problem with the URI fan base is seen in URI's own attendance woes over the last three seasons, two of which were 20+ win years.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Kellogg takes his team to the dance and only makes the same as Baron, he should beside himself. Or the UMAss administration pointed to the URI administration that hired Baron and noted that no of them still have their jobs.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Issac wrote:The poor UMass OOC schedule has also hurt them at the gate especially given their obviously fair weather fan base. For example, last year they had four OOC games and two A-10 games with under 3000 in attendance. This response for a 25 win team. Contrasting 7-24 URI which had two sub 3000 crowds, the only two in the 10 year history of the Ryan Center for regular season games. That Baron was in problem with the URI fan base is seen in URI's own attendance woes over the last three seasons, two of which were 20+ win years.
I man - those are the tickets sold, not the gate, correct?

I certainly agree about UMASS fans. If and when URI gets back to the point of LEGITIMATE accomplishments and victories, you'll see the RC sold out in a hurry.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes. Announced are tickets distributed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

That's kind of like the fake Red Sox sellout streak tha has continued. They count tickets distributed as opposed to who shows up and actually pays for their seats.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

The number of no-shows is mostly among full season ticket holders and averages about 150 -200 per game depending on the opponent, current team performance, and weather. Last year the average was somewhat higher. No shows among mini package seat holders and single game ticket holders is very low for obvious reasons. I assume the same holds true for UMass games.
0 x