First USA Today Coaches Poll is Out!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

First USA Today Coaches Poll is Out!

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody is NOT receiving any votes... surprise.

But seriously, no A10 teams in Top 25, but we have 4 teams receiving votes, including the first two (#26 and #27) who missed the cut with SLU and VCU, respectively.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... l/1638933/
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: First USA Today Coaches Poll is Out!

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:Rhody is NOT receiving any votes... surprise.

But seriously, no A10 teams in Top 25, but we have 4 teams receiving votes, including the first two (#26 and #27) who missed the cut with SLU and VCU, respectively.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... l/1638933/

Only 5 mid-majors in the top-25. I'll set the over/under on mid-majors in the top-25 at the end of the season at 5.5.

You guys going over or under?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

over if you count A10 as mid-major (which we clearly aren't)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Well, non-BCS conferences lets say.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

I'll go over.

There were 7 non-BCS schools in the final AP poll last year.
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbask ... sonid=2012

4 in the final AP poll from 2011.
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbask ... sonid=2011

7 in the final AP poll from 2010.
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbask ... sonid=2010

So, the average for the last 3 years is 6.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Definitely over. Pre-season polls rely on school names, not how good of a team they are. Does anyone have the stats on how many teams are in the top 25 preseason vs at the end?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Indiana preseason # 1, Crean has come a long way there since he took over
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am actually more excited by Ohio state at #5.

That is probably the highest ranked team we have played since st joes with delonte and jameer.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote:I am actually more excited by Ohio state at #5.

That is probably the highest ranked team we have played since st joes with delonte and jameer.
Hopefully now we'll have a different result (against any ranked team).

But it would have been a Hollywood script if Steve Mello, the walk on from Portsmouth, drained the game winning 3 to shock the undefeated number 1 team in the country.

That was so close. Typical of the Rhody dark ages.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steve mello was from bristol, not portsmouth.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote:steve mello was from bristol, not portsmouth.
I'm a west bay guy. My geographic knowledge doesn't extend over bridges :-D
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
bigappleram wrote:steve mello was from bristol, not portsmouth.
I'm a west bay guy. My geographic knowledge doesn't extend over bridges :-D

Steve played for Mount Hope High School, was first team All State, averaged 30 ppg his senior year in HS.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Blue Man wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I am actually more excited by Ohio state at #5.

Hopefully now we'll have a different result (against any ranked team).

But it would have been a Hollywood script if Steve Mello, the walk on from Portsmouth, drained the game winning 3 to shock the undefeated number 1 team in the country.

That was so close. Typical of the Rhody dark ages.
That is still one of the top 3 URI games I have ever been at(fall 99 enrollment). that, along with the USC game, are the only two times I really remember the RC rocking all night. there were other loud moments, but people showed up (well I did ) 2 hours early for the game, and we managed to double the number of people squeezed into my section somehow. chants back and forth with the hawks corner of the gym. hopefully the days of a never sitting always yelling rhody crowd will be back soon.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

urirx wrote:That is still one of the top 3 URI games I have ever been at(fall 99 enrollment). that, along with the USC game, are the only two times I really remember the RC rocking all night. there were other loud moments, but people showed up (well I did ) 2 hours early for the game, and we managed to double the number of people squeezed into my section somehow. chants back and forth with the hawks corner of the gym. hopefully the days of a never sitting always yelling rhody crowd will be back soon.
Hell yeah! I remember getting into Sec 104 at 10:10am for the noon tipoff for that St. Joes game. Dick Vitale came out and we all started changing "Hall of Fame, Hall of Fame!" (he was on the ballot that year) and he was delighted. Came over and spoke with us for a few minutes.

It hopefully won't be too long before we have ESPN's top announcing crew in Kingston again!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
urirx wrote:That is still one of the top 3 URI games I have ever been at(fall 99 enrollment). that, along with the USC game, are the only two times I really remember the RC rocking all night. there were other loud moments, but people showed up (well I did ) 2 hours early for the game, and we managed to double the number of people squeezed into my section somehow. chants back and forth with the hawks corner of the gym. hopefully the days of a never sitting always yelling rhody crowd will be back soon.
Hell yeah! I remember getting into Sec 104 at 10:10am for the noon tipoff for that St. Joes game. Dick Vitale came out and we all started changing "Hall of Fame, Hall of Fame!" (he was on the ballot that year) and he was delighted. Came over and spoke with us for a few minutes.

It hopefully won't be too long before we have ESPN's top announcing crew in Kingston again!
Vitale is very friendly. I went to a Red Sox at Tampa Bay game in May and sat a few rows behind Vitale's. He came in an inning or two into the game and managed to shake everybody's hand around him. He seemed to be a nice, down-to-earth guy.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

ATPTourFan wrote:

I remember my exact seats for that game...104, D, 1-4...I didn't make it for the Vitale stuff.

I did talk to Bob Ryan for a few minutes after. He looked like he would have rather been anywhere else on earth than the Ryan Center at the end of the game.

I also remember some end of the bench guy from St Joe's dropping to his knees right in front of us after talking shit all game...he stood up and grabbed Nelson over the shoulders and Jameer completely blew him off.

This was also the day I saw how completely insane Delonte West was.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

we let delonte kill us that afternoon. He was standing at the three arch and just was nasty. I had my normal ticket for 104 B seat 21 . I always stood though in the second row, right next to the visiting team behind the bench seating.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i was up in the 300s and at the end of the game i was standing with a bunch of people to rush the court if we had won
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

one inbounds pass away from winning that game, ugh!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

jmck wrote:one inbounds pass away from winning that game, ugh!
Ugh! Thanks for reminding me of that. OMG was that awful!!
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Remember Hellenga fouled out because no one stepped up and fouled Jones when the ball was inbounded.

So Dustin fouled West because Jones dumped it off...I think Dawan blew the fouling assignment.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just stop!! This hurts sooo bad to relive each moment like this.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

the in bound pass we couldn't figure out why they called it out of bounce at first.. because it was passed in, then passed back to the inbounder prior to establishing in bounce... ugh
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I remember Delonte was on total fire that day. I bet the fans at the RC will rush the court soon during the DH era
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Let's hope that it isn't an OT win over Fordham! It has been so long for Rhody fans that many can't differentiate excellence from mediocrity. Increasingly, when players and media called their fans knowledgeable when there are not positive results, the fans are a flock of sheep (ie pink hats).

I hope Rhody fans in this new era become the most critical in college basketball. I don't mean critical in a nasty way - just calling it like it is. If the the talent is there, then recognize it; if it isn't, then admit it. If the the effort shows, then applaud; if there is poor energy, then boo. Don't give me the "they are only college kids" crap. Make the RC a place where great things are expected of the URI basketball team, and it will happen. When positive re-enforcement is given for mediocre performance, don't expect improvement. When excellence is recognized, it will be repeated and improved upon.

The days until the season begins are getting longer and longer.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rhody72 wrote:Let's hope that it isn't an OT win over Fordham! It has been so long for Rhody fans that many can't differentiate excellence from mediocrity. Increasingly, when players and media called their fans knowledgeable when there are not positive results, the fans are a flock of sheep (ie pink hats).

I hope Rhody fans in this new era become the most critical in college basketball. I don't mean critical in a nasty way - just calling it like it is. If the the talent is there, then recognize it; if it isn't, then admit it. If the the effort shows, then applaud; if there is poor energy, then boo. Don't give me the "they are only college kids" crap. Make the RC a place where great things are expected of the URI basketball team, and it will happen. When positive re-enforcement is given for mediocre performance, don't expect improvement. When excellence is recognized, it will be repeated and improved upon.

The days until the season begins are getting longer and longer.
All kidding aside, that,s a load of crap. Also, I won't be booing anyone on my team unless they do something to disgrace their teamates or the school.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I have never in all my decades of watching URI basketball, booed a Ram player.
Refs and coaches are paid to do a job, and are fair targets.
We don't boo our kids at URI.
Leave your criticism of players on this message board.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

yeah 72, when have you ever heard the crowd at URI reenforce bad play by cheering? And booing our squad is the height of non-cool.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There will not be a lot of boos during the Hurley era
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I expect that this year's team is going to get more cheers than any team we've had in a long time. Rod's right. We don't boo our players at URI.
This year's team is going to be special. It's not easy going into a season knowing you don't have the guns to compete with competition. They're going to give it everything they've got. They deserve all the cheering and praise the fans can give. This also goes a long way with future recruits. It shows that effort is appreciated and rewarded in Kingston.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's also to be in an underdog position for a young team. Chances to make almost any win a "surprise" and turn some heads. There will be a handful of surprises this season, looking at the opportunities on the schedule.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Good point Law about Ohio State. They play Marquette in Charleston, S.C. (neutral site) for their opening game. Looking for an OSU win, to keep their top ten ranking when they arrive in New England.
0 x