Questions for Jimmy Baron?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Questions for Jimmy Baron?

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

OK folks, certainly this is a more delicate interview, but Jimmy Baron has agreed to answer some questions from Russia. I didn't want to leave him out due to the coaching change and any feelings some may have toward his father or brother or mother or whomever.

Most would agree Jimmy was a very good player and role model here, and I thought it was a classy move for him to agree to answer questions.

So give me your questions for consideration!

(also, anyone with contacts, even facebook or twitter accounts, of some former Ram players, please share and I'll attempt to have them on)

And for those who missed last year's Coach Penders interview, it's now up on my site:
http://rhodeislandrams.com/?page_id=234 ... ow-that-is
Last edited by RhodeIslandRams 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Questions for Jimmy Baron?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think you'd have to spend some time on some of his best performances, and what it felt to have that kind of shooting touch on the big stage. I'm thinking Syracuse at the Carrier Dome and Duke at Cameron Indoor, but I know he may remember other performances where he felt unstoppable.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

his game at Duke was ridiculous
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

twisted3829 wrote:his game at Duke was ridiculous
One of the best shooting performances I've ever seen. Jimmy single-handedly took the air out of Cameron Indoor, multiple times. That's no easy feat.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'd be interested in what it's like playing in Europe .... level of competition, how the game is played, etc. His eventual goals would be interesting, too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Anyone asking Lamar Odom questions?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Can we ask Billy any questions?
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would like to ask Jimmy who were the five toughest defenders he played against while at URI.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ryan Rowdy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ryan Rowdy »

Could you ask him how he ever came up with his trick shot where he shoots from the seats just below the suites, over the vent system, and into the hoop?

0 x
What Would Jon Clark Do?
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Rod,

I've written to Lamar, not sure the request will reach him. I'll be working on getting tons of former players all year, hopefully will land a few good ones..
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Good to hear. One of the former greats, Denny McGovern lives here in RI.
Denny was a 20ppg who was an outside shooter, who shot 53.3%, with no 3 point line!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'd ask him if he ever felt any friction from his teammates, given his status as the coach's son. Did it cause him personally to work harder in practice? Speaking of that, what is / was his practice routine? And finally, what's his professional life like? I love pretty much any story about the European / Asian basketball leagues - Paul Shirley had some great ones in his book, and I read a good book over the summer on the burgeoning yet still Mickey Mouse Chinese Basketball League.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Would appreciate if you told him 'thanks' for his effort and his class at URI and 'congrats and good luck' on his pro career on behalf of Rhody fans (at least this Rhody fan). Its important to me that he knows that his career and all that he accomplished personally at URI aren't diminished by how things ended with his father. I think, as fans, we have to make the distinction between Jimmy and Jim Sr. and not confuse our feeling for each of them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Would appreciate if you told him 'thanks' for his effort and his class at URI and 'congrats and good luck' on his pro career on behalf of Rhody fans (at least this Rhody fan). Its important to me that he knows that his career and all that he accomplished personally at URI aren't diminished by how things ended with his father. I think, as fans, we have to make the distinction between Jimmy and Jim Sr. and not confuse our feeling for each of them.
ABSOLUTELY!!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'd like to find out who he most enjoyed playing alongside during his four years at Rhody.

Also, if there was any player before he arrived at URI that he really looked up to and received advice from while he was younger and hanging around the gym.

Just watched this video again today to remember how awesome he is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdQGPZ6U1s
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I join TruePoint and ATP in wishing that you convey to Jimmy how much we appreciated him...he became one of my favorite Rams of all time and I will always hold him in high esteem.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

True Point and others, I told him twice already (and will send YOUR thoughts as well).

Can't be easy being in the situation he was in, and even though I'm not close to the program, it seemed to ME that he did work harder to keep a good attitude and strong work ethic. I specifically invited him to the group we interview so that he knows he will always be one of our favorite Rams regardless of the 'drama'.

I'm not a Baron boy, and was really rooting for the Hurley hire. But Jimmy was a fun guy to watch play.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Okay, I'm wondering if he has any idea how many shots he has taken in his lifetime, 1/2 mil, 1 mil...200 shots a day for 20 yrs, which is totally possible, is 1.46 mil...
Also I echo tp, atp and others sentiments about Jimmy and this may be the homer in me, but I have to believe he is one of the best pure shooters in the world, I mean the guy shoots from 25 feet like he's under the hoop.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Without a doubt he's one of the best pure shooters in the world. I am legitimately shocked an NBA team hasn't sniffed interest.

He has a shot you can't teach. Plenty of guards don't play D. Not many guards shoot like that.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man I love watching that video. Still get goosebumps during the Duke highlights every time...
0 x
Rhody D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody D »

My ears started ringing while watching that video. Reminded me of how loud the Ryan center used to get when Jimmy would knock down a three at the end. I am looking forward to more ear ringing this year and many years to come.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Has he had a coach after leaving URI that set up plays and screen for him. Has he ever been the focal point of the offense or has he dad to make his own shots?
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Running Ram wrote:Okay, I'm wondering if he has any idea how many shots he has taken in his lifetime, 1/2 mil, 1 mil...200 shots a day for 20 yrs, which is totally possible, is 1.46 mil...
Also I echo tp, atp and others sentiments about Jimmy and this may be the homer in me, but I have to believe he is one of the best pure shooters in the world, I mean the guy shoots from 25 feet like he's under the hoop.
i would put it closer to 1000 shots a day for 20 years.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I would like to know if he has had any workouts with NBA teams since his last summer league appearance a couple of years ago.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

can you ask him when exactly he adapted Rhody72's free throw shooting advice and how that propelled him to greatness?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd like to know how Jimmy compares playing on the Coast of Spain to now playing in Russia?
How do the two leagues compare talentwise and what is the difference in the style of play?
Which does he enjoy more, Spain or Russia?
How is the attention from the females in Spain for a professional basektball player from the US? How is the attention from the Russion women? Which enviromnent does he enjoy more? Spain or Russion women?
and of course please pass on my thanks for his contributions to URI Basketball, for his hard work and continuous improvement as he made himself into one of the greatest shooters in NCAA history.

Thanks,
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He definetly has the deepest range I have ever seen in college. He has made multiple 30 footers, just sick
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Would just like to tell Jimmy that I think his play is even more appreciated now than when he was at URI. Yeah, you would think some NBA team could use a shooter of his caliber. 76ers I'm looking in your direction.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

How many years does he see himself playing overseas and would he like to then get into coaching?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I thought he always said coaching wasn't for him, as he would prefer to be in broadcasting.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I remember he said broadcasting as well

He may be like a Ronnie Perry ????
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:I thought he always said coaching wasn't for him, as he would prefer to be in broadcasting.
Being so young, maybe he could have a change of heart?
I think it is a good question, along the lines of what do you see yourself doing once your playing days are over - a basic open ended question.
Not many kids Jimmy's age have seen as much of the world as he has already. College basketball that took him many places in the US, then Turkey,Spain and now Russia...........amazing.
Would be interesting to know how he likes this world traveling at this juncture of his life.
Does he get homesick?
How often does he return to the states?
How many Canisius games does he plan to take in this season?
Good for Jimmy - one of the greatest shooters I have ever personally witnessed.

Look forward to Jimmy's replies to our questions.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

BAR, wow! I never realized that my cogent advice could impress someone as it has you. To think that some people don't realize that you can use coaching throughout their life. Then again, I'm not a stereotypical know-it-all new yorker. Why do you think professional athletes in a slump compare their present technique with their technique when things were going well? Why do professional golfers have a swing coach?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You are the guy that was picking apart the technique of perhaps the most prolific free throw shooter any of us have ever seen in person....and I'm the know-it-all. Good one. You just compared your advice to that of a PROFESSIONAL opinion (a swing coach), are you joking?
0 x