ESPN Team Preview

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

ESPN Team Preview

Unread post by ace »

It's an Insider article, so I imagine posting the whole thing would be frowned up. Probable starters (no surprises here): Powell, Munford, Malesevic, Malone, and Hare.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... sland-rams

But here are some notable quotes:

"The new summer session practice rule was huge for us," Hurley said. "We had to teach these guys how we practice. These returning players have chosen to be part of the solution, and the three seniors have been great in terms of effort and leadership in workouts."

"Nik has rekindled the competitive spirit he showed as a sophomore," Hurley said. "He likes the tone of the workouts, has good skills at the offensive end and is a highly competitive kid. We expect big things from him this season."

"We think Andre can give us scoring from the perimeter and, if we're going to surprise anyone, he needs to elevate his game," Hurley said.

"I trust Xavier," Hurley said. "He had looks from many majors this past spring, I coached him in high school, and he is a winner. He's very athletic, a shot-maker and a good defender. He's also young for his grade (he just turned 20), and we feel he can really help us."

"We like what we've seen from Mike (Powell)," Hurley said. "Now he must learn to value the right things at the position."

"Jordan has effortless athleticism, yet plays with an edge," Hurley said. "His shot blocking and rebounding will be at a contributing level immediately, and he is a great finisher. In time, he can be one of the best frontcourt players in the Atlantic 10."

Hurley's immediate goal is to find a way to implement his aggressive, attacking style of play on both ends with a short roster, coach up his current crop of players, and change the culture at URI. "We want to run a great program where kids are comfortable with where they are and with who they are," Hurley said. Wins will be in short supply for this team. But Hurley is steadfast in his belief that no opponent will outwork his Rams. If Rhode Island can consistently play with maximum effort and cobble together 10 wins, this season should be considered a success.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: ESPN Team Preview

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Awesome. Can't wait to see the team against Coast Guard and Norfolk State the following week.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dave Telep from ESPN also names Jordan Hare as one of the Top Five incoming freshman in the Atlantic 10.

PF Jordan Hare
College: Rhode Island
Hometown/High school: Saginaw, Mich./Arthur Hill
Notes: One-time member of the ESPN 100 as the No. 24 center; likely to play PF and C in college

The A-10 has had its share of big guys, mainly of the long, lean variety, of which Hare is. For a league that doesn't mind playing with slightly undersized bigs, Hare is a departure from that notion. Though he'll need to bulk up, he has size, reach and bounce. Depending on personnel, expect him to play both inside spots, where he'll put his tantalizing skill package to the test. Consistency has been an issue; talent has not.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Dan Hurley on senior guard Andre Malone
"Like Nikola [Malesevic], Andre is coming off a disappointing year. But he came into the preseason in shape and ready to take a leadership role. He has an ability to score and we will need to rely on him to give us a spark. I don't think Rhody fans have seen what Andre can do on the court."

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/ ... -media-day
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Love when Hurley says we haven't even seen what Malone can do on the court. LOVE THIS MAN.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need Andre to really step it up this yr
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Another article with lots of quotes,

http://m.independentri.com/mobile/sport ... d7beb.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's refreshing to read quotes from the coaching staff that clearly verbalize, in detail, their thoughts.

Not sure how I'll manage to wait another 2 weeks for the Coast Guard game. Hopefully there will be more media coverage.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BFC wrote:Another article with lots of quotes,

I'm not sure if this writer knows for sure, but he says Bigby only has 1 year of eligibility.
0 x
bkrichmond

Unread post by bkrichmond »

Bigby played three years at Northeastern. He has one year remaining. It couldn't be stated more clearly.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

One of Bigby's years at Northeastern was, clearly, a medical redshirt year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

May as well get the word from the coach.
I just emailed Dan Hurley about this and practices.
Let you know if I get a response, although I'm sure he's plenty busy..
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:
BFC wrote:Another article with lots of quotes,

I'm not sure if this writer knows for sure, but he says Bigby only has 1 year of eligibility.
I think the writer may have overlooked the medical redshirt thing, unless he wants to clarify.

The thing is, per procedure, you do not take the medical redshirt into account without regard to how a player is listed on the roster until it has been applied for and granted. But in Bigby's case, it should be pro forma. I can't think of a reason why it would be denied. So while URI can't list him as having two more years left, I think we can consider that to be the case. Unless someone wants to articulate what I am missing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The Northeastern site has him officially listed as a redshirt sophomore for the 11-12 season., which we've pretty much known to be true.

http://gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1872

I imagine it's a quite rare thing to happen, but is there a rule about playing more than one year as a graduate student, regardless of previous eligibility? I haven't been able to find anything. There's also the chance that the player and staff have worked out something specific to his case as well.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the only thing I can think of is under the postgrad transfer rule you only have 1 year of eligibility at the new school (i do not know the rule it was just something I thought of)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

word from practice is Mumford looks like thier best player (who can play this year) And Hare is not practicing at this time due to an injury.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Kingston wrote:word from practice is Mumford looks like thier best player (who can play this year) And Hare is not practicing at this time due to an injury.
Well that sucks about Hare, hope it isnt serious. We cant afford frontcourt injuries. Really looking forward to seeing Mumford play though!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You'd think if it were very serious you'd see it somewhere.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"You'd think if it were very serious you'd see it somewhere."
Why? Aaman was in the hospital all banged up, and the only reason we knew it was his girlfriend's tweeted picture.
Unless it was a season threatening injury, I doubt you'll know about it, unless it's during the season.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Hare just tweeted yesterday about finishing a killer practice.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Well that's what I mean. Something with serious game missing implications
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jro44 »

I have to say reading these gives me a solid sense of optimism!! I really think Nik and Andre will have big years and it sounds as if we can anticipated Xavier and Jordan to be factors as well. I think Xavier will really push Powell as well and force him to be more consistent, I don't think he had anyone truly threatening him with taking some minutes last year so he got way too comfortable.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Munford's clearly a two guard, so TJ would be Powell's backup.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think Hare will have problems with bigger, stronger and more experienced front lines that many of the better teams on our schedule will have....he would be my guess for the one to struggle most out of the gate yet improve the most over the course of the season.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kingston wrote:word from practice is Mumford looks like thier best player (who can play this year) And Hare is not practicing at this time due to an injury.
Whose word?
0 x