Highest Paid State Employee

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Highest Paid State Employee

Unread post by TruePoint »

Discuss....
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Re: Highest Paid State Employee

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Lets get that image published in Projo!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

This just shows that Jim Taricani presented a completely 1-sided piece to hurt public perception of the URI hoops team. Any shitty journalist can do what he did, and not tell the other side of the story that EVERY state's highest paid public employee is either the football or basketball coach at the state University.

Taricani is a shitty, corner cutting excuse of journalist.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The only counterpoint I see to this is that other New England states are paying educators more with the exception of CT (national basketball team that generates revenue to support the coach) and NH where they hAve a perennially strong hockey team.

However, those educators are all in areas that are not offered by the state university in RI (unfortunately because I could probably saved some cash if URI had a law school)
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Watch WPRI for a slam piece on Dr. Dooley's travels.
They've been hyping it all week.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

you mean the one that the Projo already did a story on?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

They're supposedly including other RI Administrators, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Big whoop .... college administrators travel all the time.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

i suggest you stop watching the news.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

rhodylaw.....VT, NH, NY, Maine and Massachusetts do not have big-time college sports at their state universities. It's not our fault their teams suck. UMass has a medical school, Rhode Island does not.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

College sports rile baby !!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I think Nevada having the Med. School Plastic Surgeon as the highest paid is priceless!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I guess I am proud to live in that state then ??
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I do wonder why Dooley is teaching a course at Montana State. But I think the Dan Doyle story is a lot more valid than Where's Dooley?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. That picture should be the response to every future article or mention of RI's highest paid state employee. It succinctly says "go back in your hole".
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
URIGONZO
ARD

100% agree '72.

I don't know why, but that Taricani story during the season that URI was on a run still pisses me off to this day!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I always love when these stories come out.

When are they going to do one that has the amount of money that coach directly brings into the university...which benefits EVERYONE associated with that school. I'd love to see the ROI or cost/benefit for all of those positions.

I literally despise and hate people who look down upon athletics.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Blue Man wrote: When are they going to do one that has the amount of money that coach directly brings into the university...which benefits EVERYONE associated with that school. I'd love to see the ROI or cost/benefit for all of those positions.
Forbes just did one on Alabama yesterday

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/magic-nick ... 22258.html
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Blue Man wrote:I always love when these stories come out.

When are they going to do one that has the amount of money that coach directly brings into the university...which benefits EVERYONE associated with that school. I'd love to see the ROI or cost/benefit for all of those positions.

I literally despise and hate people who look down upon athletics.
Most of the academic studies I've seen suggest that unless you have something like a consistently powerful basketball program - think UConn or Duke - or a good BCS-level football program, athletics are a net loss when it comes to spending. It's kind of similar to pro sports, in that the efficiency of the spending is the real issue. For the $X million it takes to build a successful program, or for a new pro stadium, that money would almost assuredly be better spent on something like small business loans or just lowering tuition.

Of course though, there are other reasons why you would want a prestige program besides the bottom line, and athletics do contribute some economic value back normally, as opposed to, say, funding a ton of theater programs that have no chance of making their money back.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

SGreen, making small business loans might work in other states. But as Rhode Island has shown (38 Studio's) they should probably keep spending the money on Athletics.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Well if I had to do it over, I think I would look at a big time football school. Maybe Texas A&M or a Pac10 school.

BTW, I talked to a person who works for my company and lives in Virginia and whose daughter goes to JMU. JMU is increasing enrollment by 1,000 each year.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

URIGONZO wrote:SGreen, making small business loans might work in other states. But as Rhode Island has shown (38 Studio's) they should probably keep spending the money on Athletics.
Not to get too deep into politics on here, but I think one of the bigger issues with 38 Studios is that it wasn't much of a "small business" loan. It was also clear that state officials approving that loan probably couldn't tell a PS3 from a 360 from a Wonderswan, Commodore 64 and Virtual Boy, and approved a large outlay of cash for a private business in an industry with a ridiculously high fail rate. That lump of cash would have been better served spread around to X actual small Rhode Island businesses.
0 x