Rhody Madness

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Rhody Madness

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It was a fun night. It was my first, so I don't know how it compares to past ones, but I thought the crowd was decent. My guess there were about 1500 or so. The slam dunk contest was fun and a few guys showed off what they could do. Damn, I wish Gil Biruta was eligible this year. He's tough and athletic and I think he'll be an all-conference player before he graduates.

My only disappointment was that Hurley didn't speak. He let a couple of the players do the talking, TJ Buchanan at the beginning and Jordan Hare at the end.

I don't know if you can tell much from the scrimmage since it's pretty much a playground game, but we've got some athleticism on this team. Biruta, Aaman, and the Nigerian kid (one of these days I'll remember his name) all showed they could move around the basket. Jordan Hare was a showboat tonight; hope he stays under control when real games start.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ryan Rowdy
Michael Andersen

Re: Rhody Madness

Unread post by Ryan Rowdy »

One thing I liked was the reaction Jim Carr got. I knew the Hurley's and Preston would get a good pop from the crowd, but everybody seemed to give Carr a warm welcome as well.
0 x
What Would Jon Clark Do?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just got back.
Sat with The Godfather and some stalwart booster legends. Along with Keaney they were a reminder of better days.
Love Terino's stories.
Anyway, OK crowd, less students than I would have liked to see. Bunch left in droves before the scrimmage.
Very impressed with the obvious quickness on the team. Everyone can run and jump.
All the big guys can run the floor.
Hare was very impressive athletically. Graceful, and fast. The Big O is a player, and physically impressive. He made a beautiful baseline move for a nice basket.
Agree with '74, Biruta is a bull, and it looks like he can shoot, too. He won the slam dunk contest.
Brooks looks like he lost a lot of weight.
Biggie seems like he only shoots if he has the ball. Again, it was only a scimmage.
Reischel looks like a player. Powell seemed sharp.
Appears to be three walkons.
I was surprised Hurley didn't speak. Pretty sure it was Nick who spoke at the end.
Crowd never got up to applaud Hurley's intro. I was surprised at that.
Looked for recruit types, but, who knows who they might have been?
The women's team is taller than in recent years.
My granddaughters had a great time, and got to go to Newport Creamery as a reward for being good.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It was Nik who spoke at the end. They said it was going to be Hare, but it was Nik. As for recruits, I saw Pollard. I recognzed his face from the pic posted in here. He was down in the area where the players came in when they were introduced. He was talking to a couple of men during the scrimmage. He was the only one in that area, so my guess is that he was the only one there. The fans are going to love Biruta, very athletic for a big guy, strong, good rebounder, nice offensive game. He was the only guy that wowed me. There were some other positives. I still think it's going to be a rough year this year. Next year could be a totally different story....I was also impressed with #1 on the women's team. She made a Rondo type move, faking the behind the back pass and driving for a layup. Unfortunately, she also might be the best point guard on campus.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And oh yeah, Biruta also has a good sense of humor. They were asking the guys in the dunk contest what they were thinking and what type of dunk they were going to do. Biruta's answer was, " I don't speak English."
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

My brother just called me and said they showed the Hurley-assisted slam during the ESPNU Midnight madness show, just set the DVR to catch it later - Go Rhody!

- No Sleep 'till Brooklyn
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

here are some highlights of the dunk contest (Hurley assisted dunk is last)

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow great highlites !!!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Thanks for the info. Killed me to be out of town. Looks like the team has good chemistry. I worry about the offense. Did anyone shhot it well?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

Reischel looks like he will be really good. Spreads the ball well and is very quick with the ball. I was also really impressed with G B. He can really play. The rookies looked pretty good and I was impressed with Mike Aaman on the boards. Which is one of our biggest needs this year in my opinion. If we could get Pollard that would be a great addition with the 2013 team coming in. Feels like a teaser because some of the players that wowed you the most aren't eligible until then. I know it was a scrimmage but I'd like to see more contested shots and D to see what they can really do. Especially Baruta who seems like he can drive at will.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Thanks for the info. Killed me to be out of town. Looks like the team has good chemistry. I worry about the offense. Did anyone shhot it well?
I think Malone will lead this team in scoring. Nik still looks like he's struggling with his outside shot. Munford supposedly can shoot it, but didn't hit any outside shots. Malone has nice form and arc and to me, looks like the best shooter on the team. I don't think any of the big guys can step out and hit 12-15 footers consistently, especially Hare. It was painful to watch him in warmups shooting jumpers. He'll have to score on alleyoops and putbacks. I think they will struggle in a half court offense. I still don't think Powell is a good point guard. They will have to play tough defense, create turnovers and score off of those and rebound defensively and run. Next year will be a different. I liked all 3 transfers and Biruta is by far the best player on this team. If Matthews is as good as advertised and come in right away and run this team, next year will be a much better team offensively.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:here are some highlights of the dunk contest (Hurley assisted dunk is last)

The kid right under the GO sign in this still picture with the black sweatpants and the light colored sweatshirt is Kendall Pollard.
0 x
NY2Rhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by NY2Rhody »

Did anyone else see Thorr? I spoke with him briefly and he mentioned he lost 60 pounds. He looks great
0 x
Quite Friarly my dear, I don't give a Ram!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I sent some highlights off to AZ to edit, I did the best I could with my point and shoot, I'm sure some of them will be posted today...
gotta say some of the dunks were pretty impressive. In warm ups Brooks looks like he could be the dunk master, but he didn't compete in the contest for whatever reason.
I have to agree about Biruta, the guy looks like a beast out there, strong, fast, and surprisingly smooth. His dunk to win it was great, but my favorite dunk of the night was Hare's spinning statue of liberty, It was really graceful. Actually he had my two favs, he also had this twisty around the back thing that I had to slowdown in order to understand what he did.
I know you can't tell too much from these things, but we look like we have a very solid foundation on which to build.
And I'm thinking more like 2,000 in attendance. The place holds 4g with standing room, I'd bet it was at least half full.
I didn't notice if anyone got up when D Hurley was announced, but I can tell you it was the loudest reaction of the night, it was pretty loud courtside.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NY2Rhody wrote:Did anyone else see Thorr? I spoke with him briefly and he mentioned he lost 60 pounds. He looks great
I noticed his new physique in that recent Thorr's Desk video about Men's Basketball. Great for him!! That's an excellent accomplishment.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

I spoke with Thorr briefly.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:My granddaughters had a great time, and got to go to Newport Creamery as a reward for being good.
Oh man, Newport Creamery. That just made me miss RI big time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hey, they make a little Awful Awful, too!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:My granddaughters had a great time, and got to go to Newport Creamery as a reward for being good.
How many of them are left? Maybe only a handful or less.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Man Newport Creamery and Dels Lemonade I miss RI too
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Don't forget clamcakes and coffee ice cream!!! We had a Newport Creamery when I was growing up in Cumberland - an Awful Awful there at the end of the night was a must...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
How many of them are left? Maybe only a handful or less.
There's still one on West Main Road in Middletown, if I recall. Coincidentally, I always pass it when I'm on my way to Rhody games.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

there's one in seekonk and barrington (there are 11 in total)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:Just got back.
Sat with The Godfather and some stalwart booster legends. Along with Keaney they were a reminder of better days.
Love Terino's stories.
Anyway, OK crowd, less students than I would have liked to see. Bunch left in droves before the scrimmage.
Very impressed with the obvious quickness on the team. Everyone can run and jump.
All the big guys can run the floor.
Hare was very impressive athletically. Graceful, and fast. The Big O is a player, and physically impressive. He made a beautiful baseline move for a nice basket.
Agree with '74, Biruta is a bull, and it looks like he can shoot, too. He won the slam dunk contest.
Brooks looks like he lost a lot of weight.
Biggie seems like he only shoots if he has the ball. Again, it was only a scimmage.
Reischel looks like a player. Powell seemed sharp.
Appears to be three walkons.
I was surprised Hurley didn't speak. Pretty sure it was Nick who spoke at the end.
Crowd never got up to applaud Hurley's intro. I was surprised at that.
Looked for recruit types, but, who knows who they might have been?
The women's team is taller than in recent years.

My granddaughters had a great time, and got to go to Newport Creamery as a reward for being good.
Rod, Glad to see that you got a reward for being good and going to the Newport Creamery. Now, think you should have done something for your granddaughters!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is the Newport Creamery in Garden City in Cranston still there ??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes
0 x
section105

Unread post by section105 »

I didn't go, sounds alot like last years event. Sounds like the crowd was a bit disappointing for a new coaching regime. I would rather have seen a report where there was some basketball practice drills etc, and then go for the fun stuff, not much defense played in the scrimmage?? But the drill stuff is not entertaining for this type of event, just for us folks who like it in the weeds..........I guess we can get the drill stiff at open practices.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Crushed an Oreo AA in NK today
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This made me smile.

We all know the record will be rough this year, but I feel like these upcoming URI teams could be easy to root for. And look at Gil knowing his college basketball stats.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Awesome exchange.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Every single thing about this team is so very very likeable. It's going to be so much fun to root for them.

Even better when they get really, really good.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed I can root for this team so much harder than the last few yrs
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

A recap...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

cool video
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RI Independent newspapers had a report on Rhody Madness...

http://www.independentri.com/sports/art ... b78a5.html
0 x