The Firing of Tim Pernetti

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

The Firing of Tim Pernetti

Unread post by Obadiah »

I may be the only one here pissed about this firing, but when I see the media and others all rushing to dump on Tim Pernetti, the contrarian in me gets going. Pernetti, I thought was a great AD with a distinguished record – all-state in HS basketball and football, a full scholarship tight end at Rutgers and a successful executive in sports broadcasting for over 15 years at ABC and CSTV. So what the hell happened?

And then we have the role of Eric Murdock - hero or villain? There are two sides to every story and so far, we have heard mostly the Murdock side given he hired counsel in July, 2012. Here are a few questions from a non-Murdock vantage.

1. Most of Rutgers practice sessions are open and often, parents, HS coaches, recruits, and Rutgers boosters attend. How come in two years not one person from these audiences came forward to complain about Mike Rice’s behavior?

2. Where is the evidence that Murdock approached either Rice or Pernetti to complain about the coach’s behavior in the months before his contract was up for renewal at end of June to support his retaliation claim?

3. Why did Murdock try to get Rutgers to say he was fired on several occasions after he missed the Rice camp. Why did Murdock not show up for a meeting to discuss his insubordination on July 2 even though he was repeatedly told he was not fired?

4. Why did Murdock's lawyers send a letter to Rutgers in early July making conclusory claims on Mike Rice’s behavior and seeking money without offering any evidence? Why did they claim they had audio-video evidence and then request the practice videos?

5. Under the open records act, Rutgers gave over 200 DVD’s to Murdock’s lawyers as requested. Why did they wait until late November to present video evidence to Pernetti and when they did, why did they not provide evidence to support the claim that Murdock had been terminated as retaliation.

6. The 30 minute video, culled from all the DVDs, represented less than one percent of the videos and why were the tapes edited to not show what had transpired just before or after the offending Rice action?

Let me get this straight, with these questions, I'm not defending Rice here, but I am defending Pernetti and most important, I'm questioning Murdock's role.

This case is sending shudders through Athletics offices everywhere and the ramifications coming from this will impact all schools especially the publics.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Firing of Tim Pernetti

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah, you know as well as anyone that if you're doing 110mph on a motorcycle and you hit a pebble, you're dead. The reason why Pernetti lost his job and Murdock has escaped scrutiny is because Ernetti's head looks better next to someone's fireplace. Murdock had years to blow the whistle if he cared about the kids, but instead he tried to get rich off it. I don't have any sympathy for Pernetti, either. But there aren't many people close to this who wouldn't look back and question what they could have done better.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

And now this costly error by Peretti:
Terrence Payne ‏@terrence_payne 12m
Mike Rice owed a million dollars by Rutgers for being fired without cause http://bit.ly/YYO2H6
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Where was this kind of coverage when we fired Baron? How many months has it been? Has the Projo ever reported on who owes who what in any kind of factual way? I knows it's been intimated and danced around, but it took the NY/NJ guys two days to get figures in the midst of a major scandal. We fired a guy who everyone was glad to be rid of, and the Projo couldn't find ONE person who could talk off the record about the deal that was struck? It was too busy writing about how URI was too big for it's britches to fire a guy who had won 20 games so many times in a row. Either URI is the Bush campaign or our local media is inept. (Hint: it is the latter.)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fair or not I think Pernetti had to go
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This is why I no longer ride my motorcycle at 110mph.

Murdock does not appear entirely altruistic here, but questions arise....had he not been a PC alum he probably would be given shorter shrift locally for his role in this debacle.....

....and I heard a sound bite where someone (?) from the Rutgers admin is saying Rice wasn't fired for cause....just fired.....seems stupid in that any attempt to void the contractual obligation to pay him has just flown out the window....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I think you need to check your timeline on EMT. He's the only one who did things the right way in this case.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

TP, have to agree on what you had to say except for Pernetti. The Rutgers investigative report, a 48 page document, sheds some interesting light on the events surrounding this case. You can argue one way or another that Pernetti should have acted more strongly. But reading this document, the fact is that Pernettti did take some action. Now Pernetti is saying that his first motivation was to fire Rice back in December, but the Rutgers counsel advised him that the school did not have cause to do that and so Pernetti decided on the $50K fine and the three game suspension. BTW, the Rutgers counsel, Wolf, has now resigned his Rutgers post. Biruta himself has stated support for Pernetti.

Amazing how this event is impacting URI in several ways. It's fascinating to realize that while Dan Hurley was getting acquainted with URI, making the rounds, meeting the players, the staff, the URI alumni and boosters, events were happening in Jersey that may have a significant impact on him and may render much of what he was doing at the time wasted. Another fall out is how practice sessions are conducted in the future at all schools.

Finally, the role of the media and the mob mentality exhibited in this affair is to me disturbing.

P. S. If so interested TP, I will provide the link to the Rutgers investigative report. BTW, Murdock does not come off sounding so good in this report.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Don't disparage EMT to Sean......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramulous wrote:Don't disparage EMT to Sean......
No, and of course the rag newspaper supports him too...don't attack our precious little Friars!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

If he were a former Ram he would be labeled a Rat.....

Sean....you will learn as you mature that there are at least three sides to every story.....if two people are involved there are three....if three are involved there are four......add the number of people involved and then add one......the one added is called "the Truth".....

Money doesn't talk.....it swears......
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

If Murdock indeed asked for money, then he is in the same league as Rice and Pernetti.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

He can position his request for money as damages in any lawsuit he claimed he was going to file.....the part that bothers me is not releasing the video if your damage demand is met.......all of a sudden the behavior of Rice is acceptable to Murdock.....and the video never sees the light of day.....makes a cynical person question his motives......is he a money-grubber or is he Don Quixote?...at least Sancho Panza?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Did he major in finance at PC?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

EMT presented the evidence to the AD, and was fired for it.
His contract had him owed $$$ which was withheld. He played the card he had.

You want to disparage someone? How about your boys who left there and never said shit?

You don't think your staff knew what was going on with Gil?

Please don't patronize me like I'm some kid who doesn't know what goes in the world.

It's the argument of a weak minded person
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

That is your biased opinion. I have experience in these situations professionally. A first though. I have never been accused of being weak minded before Don Quixote .
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

"EMT presented the evidence to the AD, and was fired for it."

Totally untrue. He provided no evidence at all. And if you bother to read reports other than what Murdock and lawyers have to say you might have a more balanced view of the case rather that your dumb bias, defending a guy because he is a PC grad. But, of course, that would require you to read the Rutgers report, and that's something I don't expect from someone as intellectually lazy as you.

Oh, and, yes, get some class.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Obadiahs standard argument; "I'm smarter than everyone in the room, just ask me".
Do you claim no bias BC he is a PC grad?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:Obadiahs standard argument; "I'm smarter than everyone in the room, just ask me".
Do you claim no bias BC he is a PC grad?
He's smarter than you are. That much we know.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

And you know this how?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Because everyone is smarter than you, Sean....LOL
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

sean, if you knew really anything about me, you would know that I place lots of importance on hard work and being fair minded.

When the Rutgers story broke, I did not know who the “whistle blower” was and later when Eric Murdock’s name surfaced, I hardly remembered he was a former PC player. So to imply I am biased is off the mark.

In this fiasco, most of the info out there is from Murdock’s side of the story given he has retained legal counsel since last July. However, because of the open records act, the Rutgers investigative report is available. This report presents some new and contrary details on events than that provided by Murdock. So reading it is important to getting two sides to the story.

BTW, one story going around NJ is that Murdock had difficulty in finding a lawyer willing to take on this case. If this story is true that says something about the lawsuit.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Obadiah,

You find it odd that a fired employee "may" (if the story you are hearing is true) have had trouble getting an attorney to take on the state university in a controversial case?

Since you maintain that EMT didn't bring the tapes to the AD's attention...who did?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it's a good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/sport ... ref=sports&

Others, including an unnamed upperclassman and an unnamed former coach, had said something before. Rutgers had the tapes, then gave them to Murdock after he was no longer employed there. I'm not too invested in any of the people involved here, but it would be nice if the truth came out eventually, especially if Pernetti did want to fire him earlier but was "persuaded" not to. It does seem that Rice was fired more because of the reaction that his actions, although I don't see anyone claiming that he should still be there now.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I think everyone agrees that his actions were reprehensable
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Unfortunately, sean, we've had a go at it over the years. I readily admit you are no flamer or troll, but your behavior can often be annoying. And your retort to my comments is a perfect example of some of your annoying traits. Besides acting like some PC watchdog on a URI board, you provide constant contradiction of what is being said, you do not read carefully the words of others and regularly distort what they say. OK, I got that out of my system so let me now respond to your note.

#1 I never said it was odd (your word) that Murdock was had difficulty finding a lawyer. Lawyers work for a fee and before they take on a case, they look at the hit chances. That is why they’re ambulances chasers – good chances for a hit. The point was maybe having difficulty finding a lawyer is a sign the case has poor merit.

#2 I never maintained that Murdock didn’t bring the tapes to the AD’s attention, again your words (See #5 in first post of this thread). I just said that your statement -"EMT presented the evidence to the AD, and was fired for it." – was totally untrue. I think you have two different evidences confused. First, there is evidence of Rice’s misconduct. The second evidence is that Murdock was wrongfully terminated.

On the Rice evidence, Murdock’s lawyers presented the edited tape to the AD in the meeting of November 26. How could, as you stated, the AD then fire Murdock in November, if Murdock’s contract was not renewed as of June 30?

The tape is evidence of Rice’s misconduct. It is not prima facie evidence that Murdock was wrongfully terminated. Murdock needs to show that prior to June 30, he had complained to the AD about Rice’s conduct and tie that to non-renewal of his contract rather than the episode of his insubordination in not attending the basketball camp.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:P. S. If so interested TP, I will provide the link to the Rutgers investigative report. BTW, Murdock does not come off sounding so good in this report.
If you have easy access to the link and want to post it or PM me with it, I'd definitely be interested in checking out the report.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

That's what they are paying "fall guys" these days......I don't know the culpability of Pernetti but if he wanted to fire Rice and higher ups told him no that is what he is.....
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I like that the school and him felt the need to include the iPad in the severance - What is it, like a $500 piece of electronics?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah I don't know what is funnier - that it was included in the package or that it was included in all the headlines about the package. Seems inconsequential in both cases.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Rutgers report was made available last Friday and was the basis for recent articles on ESPN and in the New york Times.

http://www.app.com/assets/pdf/B320344045.PDF
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

When Pernetti was hired as AD, Rutgers used both an executive search team and 14 member search committee. It is not known whether they will follow the same procedure this time around. I hear Jim Delany, Big Ten Commissioner will have a role in the selection. One of the names on a preliminary candidate list is Jim Fiore of Stony Brook.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

It's still mind-boggling that anyone saw the tape of Price and didn't immediately think he should be fired. I wonder if these bully coaches were the ones who stuffed kids in lockers in high school. Some of the bullies from my childhood became cops.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fiore would be a home run for Rutgers.

That guy has done amazing things at Stony Brook.

And they can pay him more, too. What's mind boggling also, is that Fiore, who's AD at a lower level school, makes more, a lot more, than Thorr.

Maybe Dan not only wants URI to increase his assistants pay, but throw a bone to Thorr, too. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rosie, I know that was a typo, but calling Rice Price [as in Craig] is a chilling reminder of a REAL monster.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Sorry. Rice, of course. Rice was a lunatic, abusive coach. Craig Price is evil incarnate.
0 x