[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: [OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The extension that Carothers gave Baron was fully guaranteed, as we found out.

That was Carothers' deal. He was an idiot for doing that. I'm sure the current folks in charge at URI have a far better handle on how to deal with buyouts, protecting the school's interests and all that.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hey 72,
ATPTourFan wrote:This rumpswab would like to see this contrarian act of yours retired.
What he said!!! And I'm glad he did, because I couldn't have said it better...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting to note that Rutgers did not offer the customary courtesy of first seeking permission from URI to speak with Dan Hurley. They skipped protocol and spoke directly to Hurley.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

'72 used to be one of my favorite posters.
Now, it's a total downer reading what he posts.
There were reasons to be negative with Baron and the school
when he was here.
I don't see those negatives now.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

72 is right in the sense that the extension does not "lock up" Hurley for URI. He can go whenever he likes, if he forks over some buyout money.
But it's nice to win one of these things, with the coach staying. I expect Hurley will do great things, if he is a bust URI will have to pay up either way. But that's become the norm in the college game.
I did hear from a couple of people on campus that Hurley was torn as recently as last Monday. Who knows? Just glad he chose URI.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Message boards are always better with posters like Rhody72. It's a lot more interesting seeing points of views from both sides than just everyone in agreement. It spurs on conversation.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the main counterpoint to 72's argument is that what URI agreed to in the extension is good for URI. There is no downside to the deal. It calls on us to commit to putting the program on even footing with the programs we are competing with.

The other key thing to note is that there isn't anything URI could do to make it impossible for a coach to leave. In this climate, no coach would ever sign a contract like that. These types of contracts are necessary if you want to compete at a high level. You can't win without a good coach leading the program, and you don't get one of those without this type of commitment. Your gripe should really be with college basketball culture, not URI. Our "senior management" did what was 100% necessary to compete, which I thought we all wanted.

Remember, R72, the problem with the "Jim Baron Contract" wasn't the contract, it was Jim Baron. Lots of coaches ARE worth the contract that Baron got, we just happened to give it to someone who wasn't. The key isn't to be cheap, the key is identifying the right guy to give that type of contract to. URI believes they've done that, and I agree. The Dooley/Bjorn brain trust is far more competent to make that call than the previous administration.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

72 and scine have to be the same person posting under different screen names.
And if you wanted a coach to be 100 percent to never leave for another job, you just had one. Jim Baron was going nowhere. How did that work out?
0 x
rhodyram81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyram81 »

I don't post too often. I am avid Rhody fan who follows this board closely. TruePoint's take on all of this is spot on, particularly when he refers to the "college basketball culture" that exists presently. I have much more confidence in the program moving forward under the current regime than I've had in quite some time. Go Rhody!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Thanks RR81. Post more often (especially if you're going to agree with me).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

3wisemen wrote:72 and scine have to be the same person posting under different screen names.
They are not.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

3wisemen wrote:72 and scine have to be the same person posting under different screen names.
And if you wanted a coach to be 100 percent to never leave for another job, you just had one. Jim Baron was going nowhere. How did that work out?
If Rhody72 graduated in 72 then he's over 30 years older than me.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rodfromcranston wrote:Since when is being talked about on a radio show about online friends?
I didn't even know that until a former co-worker emailed me today.

"What's up Rod!? I was listening to WEEI last Saturday morning with the local guys on and they were talking about PC and URI basketball. They mentioned something about Hurley possibly being a candidate for the Rutgers job and then went on give praises to Rod from Cranton who's a loyal URI fan who knows his stuff. I mean they went on and on for a while praising Rod from Cranston. Are you Rod from Cranston?"

Since when are Twitter followers like the AD, coaches and players, so easily dismissed?
Twitter is the number one source for breaking news, today.
Rodney, a cohost on that Saturday AM show is Scott cordischi. If that name doesn't sound familiar, he is the author of that Go Local Prov article about Hurley going to Rutger. The same article where you went full on sociopath in the comments section. I doubt your name was brought up randomly and I doubt they said very nice things about you.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Really? Now tell me something I didn't know.
Read the email I got from a friend that you copied and pasted, and the hrstrat57's post about the show.

"They actually were very complimentary re your passion for URI hoops before the pc / WEEI agenda of driving Hurley out of town continued."

Oh, and there's this:

"Scott Cordischi Absolutely Rod. Same here. I admire your loyalty and passion for URI. Every program needs more fans like you who care. I have told many people that there isn't a bigger fan of the Rams than you."

Cordischi and my discussions go back over a decade, and he's very familiar with me. He and I know it's not personal.
In fact, he wrote a happy birthday wish to my daughter, Sunday.
Same deal with John Rooke. I've always gotten a warm welcome over the years when I've been on their shows.
It's why Don Kaull refered to me as "The voice in the wilderness" on these shows.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RU doesn't seek permission to talk to DH ?? That is bs
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, reef. Sleazy leadership there right now.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I thought they were required to ask permission to talk to a coach. Guess that's only a courtesy.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramfan85 wrote:I thought they were required to ask permission to talk to a coach. Guess that's only a courtesy.
Definitely a courtesy and not a requirement.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Looks like Jordan is in NJ, finalizing contract perameters.
Announcement could be early next week.
Hope he's there forever.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Some comments on the comments generated by my last post.

URI will not release to anyone DH's contract without a fight. Remember what they said when JB's contract was requested by the press?

Someone mentioned a "buy-out" provision in DH's contract should he leave. I can't prove that this doesn't exist, but I doubt it.

VCU had buy-out provisions in Anthony Grant's contract as do other schools.

If i could give DH an even more lucrative contract that provided buy-out provisions for both sides, then I would do it in a heartbeat. We are "paying later" for our handling of JB's contract.

It is interesting that some posters self-identify themselves as rump-swabs. While i am very excited about the program going forward and about having DH as our coach, I will retain my objectivity (and my dignity).

If we can agree that we haven't "locked-up" DH for the rest of this decade, I will have made my point.

I remember going to the Quonset huts on campus to get a hair-cut.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody72 wrote:If we can agree that we haven't "locked-up" DH for the rest of this decade, I will have made my point.
I believe that was already well understood, no?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Everyone knows these contracts protect the coach and not the University.....as Steve Alford proved....you can sign an extension and leave in a couple of days....

....no one here is naive enough to believe anything different.....

....we do believe that we want Fast Eddie Jordan to be quite successful at Rutgers and for Willard to be successful at Seton Hall....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote:If we can agree that we haven't "locked-up" DH for the rest of this decade, I will have made my point.
I can assure you that everyone gets it. My question to you is: what would you have liked URI to have done differently?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

72 probably wants a $5 million buyout if Hurley leaves before the end of his contract....

.....however, I personally doubt Hurley would have agreed to that...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:72 probably wants a $5 million buyout if Hurley leaves before the end of his contract....

.....however, I personally doubt Hurley would have agreed to that...
Obviously, which is the whole point. The person on the other side of the table in these situations is not dumb, and frequently holds more cards than you do.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

More worthless bleating from 72.
Address this point please, 72, before you clutter this post with your worthless opinion again. Do you want a coach who is 100 percent to stay? That man was Jim Baron. How did that work out?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we have a sweet 16 yr in say 2015 its going to be real tough to keep DH but it would have been 1 heck of a ride !!!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote:If we have a sweet 16 yr in say 2015 its going to be real tough to keep DH but it would have been 1 heck of a ride !!!
Do we really think it'll be that tough to keep him?

We don't have Petro running this department. Hurley isn't really a mover and is a family man. He has a young family, and says that he loves RI. He's not like other coaches, and money doesn't motivate him...winning does.

If we're a sweet 16 team in a couple years, that would probably mean that we've become a winning program again...with more money and resources going back into the program...and that Hurley's made us into a winner.

Can we please stop with the bullshit that we all keep repeating that we "aren't worthy of" or "will never have" a championship caliber program. We will with Dan. Dan is the guy that could make just about any program winnable at the highest level. He has enough around him here to do that with our increased commitment to basketball.

There are 2 schools that could take Hurley from us - SHU and RU. If either of those jobs become available in the next 4 years it will be another rebuilding job. Why would he want to rebuild AGAIN? He wants to have a dynasty like he did in high school.

And if it does come down to money, and Hurley is at a level where we're winning and bringing in money...we'll be able to afford to keep him.

We need to stop acting like we aren't worthy and start thinking that if Hurley sees us as a winner, we're going to be.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Believe it or not, WHEN, not if, Dan builds us into a winner. I'm on board with those who think he might want to stay here. URI will increase his pay when that happens.

The only question is, how big a winner will we be? Will we be an NCAA tourney team every year, every other year, or 1 in 3?

Will we win games in the Dance, and how many?

Those are the questions that will be answered down the road.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

No one knows what ceiling Hurley has, if any. If he fills the Ryan Center and keeps earning NCAA money, I'm sure URI will keep his contract competitive.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

It would be a wonderful problem to have if we're concerned about DH staying here after a couple tourney runs.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thank you Blue Man!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I've decided not to waste any time worrying about Dan leaving for a better job. I think he showed us all last week that he is indeed a man of character who isn't going to jump at the first opportunity to leave. When was the last time we had a coach turn down an offer from a school in a better conference with a healthy increase in salary?
No one can say what's going to happen in the future. How many people stay at ANY job for 20 years anymore.
But one thing I feel confident in is that if he leave, the program will be stable. I really don't think he would leave without solidifying our program.
I fully understand the paranoia most of us older fans feel about our program. Both URI and even PC fans have been brainwashed for years/decades by the local media that if we ever get a good coach that we had better not get used to him. He will leave in a heartbeat for a better job. We're only "stepping stone" jobs. In the past, with our previous administrations, that staement was true.
But now, things are different. We finally have people in place that realize the benefits to the school of having a good BB program.
I remember how our the applications for enrollment increased after our NCAA run with Tom.
Well, I think both programs are proving that statement to be untrue. PC has an advantage in that their coach is a local guy. But, we have an advatage, too. We have a quality guy who is committed to building our program.
As Blue Man said, there's a possibilty that we can meet any other future offers for our coach. Who knows?
If Dan ever does leave for another job, I feel pretty confident that he will assure that his leagacy his is untarnished and leave us in a lot better shape than when he got here.
If that happens, I'll be rooting him wherever he goes (except PC and Rutgers, of course).
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:There are 2 schools that could take Hurley from us - SHU and RU. If either of those jobs become available in the next 4 years it will be another rebuilding job. Why would he want to rebuild AGAIN? He wants to have a dynasty like he did in high school.
The events of the last year say otherwise. Both Dan and Bobby left the NJ/NY area last spring to come to RI. Bobby then left Kingston after one year to go to Buffalo. Dan just last week was offered the Rutgers job in NJ and turned it down. It would seem that staying in New Jersey is not as important for the Hurley brothers as many here think. I would therefore not limit possible next career stops to SHU and RU.

I am very glad that Dan decided to stay. I however do not think his decision to reject the Rutgers job makes him any more likely to stay at URI for the long haul. I think all it says is that the Rutgers job AT THIS TIME was not the RIGHT FIT for Dan.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think, after all the dust has finally settled now, Dan will be here for at least 2 more years.

If URI somehow does Dance next season, he'll definitely attract interest again, and no doubt get another offer or two.

Still, I think he really does want to build something here, and it's going to take longer than 1 more year for that to happen.

If URI goes deep into the tournament 2 years from now, then Dooley will have to conjure up a deal similar to VCU's with Smart, to have a real chance to keep him here longer.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

What was RU thinking in only offering Dan between 800,000 and 900,000 with a five year length when the average Big Ten coach gets paid 1.7 Million. URI could offer him over a 1.1 million after we start winning again.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would hope say after a sweet 16 run he would stay long term but its hard to know what offers he will receive from elite programs with deep pockets
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Some good quotes from Dan...

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch253h
Hurley on the '13-'14 roster -- 'Everyone is in workouts today. The guys are excited about returning. There’s no transfer risks.' #URI #Rams

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch253h
Hurley on recruiting needs -- 'I think if we can find a guard that can shoot, a specialist type, and maybe a frontcourt player.' #URI #Rams

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch253h
Hurley on '13-'14 -- 'Going into the second year – if the first year was a one – I feel like we’re probably a seven.' #URI #Rams #GoRhody

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch253h
Hurley on staying at #URI -- 'My interests were strictly on making this thing better. I’m excited to be the coach here.' #Rams #GoRhody

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch253h
Hurley on Rutgers rumors -- 'I think it’s a positive thing if your name comes up.' #URI #Rams

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch253h
Hurley on contract -- 'I have a pretty good life here. This was about the players, staff and improving their quality of life.' #URI #Rams

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch253h
Hurley on contract -- 'A big part of college basketball is rumors and coaches going to different places. I’m excited to be here.' #URI #Rams
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, awesome stuff!

He thinks we're a "7" for next year?

Let's see, if a 10 is national champ.........where does a 7 fit? Bubble NCAA team?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Really good stuff!
I find the recruiting quotes interesting,
in light of the Er verbal-stopsign events of the weekend.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Fired up, ready to go!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Great stuff. Look forward to the story.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Maybe he meant that we're a "7" today. All the pieces aren't even in place yet for next year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cant wait for next season !!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ramfan85 wrote:Maybe he meant that we're a "7" today. All the pieces aren't even in place yet for next year.
I don't see the last two recruits moving the needle much.
Sounds like he's more optimistic about landing a shooter than a forward.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There are players out there who could still provide an impact
If we're involved with any of them is another story.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good stuff from Bill.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It's the last graf, but it's the most gratifying:

"“Right now we’re in good shape,” Hurley said. “Everyone is in workouts today. The guys are excited about returning and coming back. There’s no transfer risks. Everyone is doing what they’re supposed to be doing.”
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just what we want to hear baby !!
0 x