Ryan Center Seating Capacity

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: Ryan Center Seating Capacity

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think URI lacks a few amenities that other schools already have. A nice practice facility is one. And athlete-only dorms is another. They'd be nice to have, but I doubt URI is making them a priority.
Funny thing, the only time I recall URI competing to hold onto a coach was Baron ... with the absurd extension. Penders and Harrick went without a fight. So did Pat Skerry for that matter.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Ramblinrose wrote:I think URI lacks a few amenities that other schools already have. A nice practice facility is one. And athlete-only dorms is another. They'd be nice to have, but I doubt URI is making them a priority.
Funny thing, the only time I recall URI competing to hold onto a coach was Baron ... with the absurd extension. Penders and Harrick went without a fight. So did Pat Skerry for that matter.
I know Al wanted to stay. Penders if I recall correctly would have like too also. All they were looking for were for some investments in the program that in the long run wouldn't have cost all thet much. Things would have been a lot different if the school had said yes.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I wonder if the locker rooms would have ever been done if Dan Hurley never came here. The school is a bit behind and a lot has to do with the lack of funds which could be attributed to a number of things. However, I think Thorr is dedicated to building the athletics programs in all aspects including facilities, but it will take some time. Recently,we have seen improvements to the volleyball court, the indoor track facility, and the locker rooms. These are good steps forward. Changes will happen, we will just have to be patient.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Athlete only dorms are against NCAA regulation if I am correct.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Rhody Guy. There are ways around that. Kentucky has all its players housed in the Wildcat dorms.
Captain Ron. Ted Eddy and John Chuckran wanted no part of competing with Texas for Penders, not in salary or facility improvements.
Al wanted to stay but Petro didn't want him. They kept him hanging and low-balled him. When O'Brien quit BC in a huff, it opened things up for Al, who called Petro's bluff.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The Dude wrote:So basically we're talking about a practice facility for practice versus the actual venue for practices???
I'm not a rocket scientist, but just from a player stand point I'd like practicing in the actual venue better than a practice facility. In practice you want to get as close to simulating a game situation as you possibly can when you are preparing for another team. In my view, practicing in the actually facility would help in that area.
Agreed. Unless there are serious scheduling conflicts and they aren't able to practice at the RC on a regular basis, this seems to be a nonstarter.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Someone find this man a gym :)

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

jeeze, theres 4 gyms for goodness sakes, ryan center, keaney, totell west and east
0 x
GO RAMS
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Ryan Center had URI Welcome Day this past Saturday, Circus Sunday, Bob Dylan tonight, a student concert called Life in Color this Wednesday, a Cheerleading competition Saturday, and another Student concert next Monday. I would say it's not an option for at least that long.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I guess we need a dedicated basketball practice facility.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

One thing that I find hard to believe, was that Penders was only making $50K a year here.

Yeah, it was the late 80's, but that was ridiculous even then.

URI has had a long line of presidents and AD's that have seemed to have an aversion to supporting winning programs. Money's been a problem for as long as I can remember at URI, it isn't a recent phenomenon.

Thank God Dooley has broken that mold. For once we have a president who gets it.

None of this would be happening if Carothers was still here.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:One thing that I find hard to believe, was that Penders was only making $50K a year here.

Yeah, it was the late 80's, but that was ridiculous even then.

URI has had a long line of presidents and AD's that have seemed to have an aversion to supporting winning programs. Money's been a problem for as long as I can remember at URI, it isn't a recent phenomenon.

Thank God Dooley has broken that mold. For once we have a president who gets it.

None of this would be happening if Carothers was still here.
Mo Zarchen wanted to take the program big-time but had his own problems ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Thank goodness Carothers is gone...Can we take his banner down in the Ryan Center yet?
0 x
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Both Mo and McElroy had big plans, but got shot down for whatever reasons.

Their presidents were not on board.

Anyone remember Edward Eddy? He could have cared less about sports at URI. He was an academic to the core.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Dooley gets it. Carothers sort of got it, but turtled when Harrick left.
The past Presidents like Eddy eddy were anti-sports and the ADs
like Chuckran were bureaucrats not movers.
74 is right, Zarchen was ambitious, but got into trouble and had to leave.
This Dooley-Thorr team is proactive and gets results.
Now, a decision will be made on football, which is on a short leash.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, you're right about football.

I'm not sure, but I think they have 2 years to start a major turnaround.

If not, then gone.

If football does go, I see Thorr going with it. URI BB success will be enough to get him another job somewhere at a more football centric school.

The problem is, with the emphasis being placed on BB right now, is the football program going to get what they need to turn things around? I don't see it.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As far as Carothers was concerned, I don't know anyone who loved sports more.

If you were in the booth during a game, he didn't want anything to do with you while the game was going on...he was too busy watching it. You can maybe say inept, or poor with judging coaching talent, but Carothers LOVED URI basketball. I think of him like Jerry Jones. He wanted to be involved, and just didn't know well enough, but damn did he want us to win.

I've been up in the box during both. Dooley seems more about the entertaining aspect of the game versus watching, but you can't argue with the fact that he's smart enough to know to let the athletics guys handle it and just back them however he can.

We're just coming into a great, great time to be a ram. WE CERTAINLY SUFFERED ENOUGH FOR IT.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL