Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Next year needs: the band

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Iggy1979 wrote:The members of the pep band get 1 credit if they show up to a certain amount of games. Make them earn the credit!
So all they need to do is pair it with two other courses, like Fundamentals of Soccer, to actually earn what you'd get for taking like JOR 110? :D I'm joking a little here, since IIRC, the music program has a bunch of 1 and 2-credit courses anyway.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

They should consider offering more than 1 credit. That's nothing. Most majors require 120 credits to graduate, so even if you did pep band all 4 years, it really wouldn't help you that much. Make pep band a 3 credit course.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A good band adds a lot to the atmosphere of a college game. This band has been tired for a long time. Needs some juice for sure.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Well with this influx of cash maybe they can look at paying these kids more money.

That and I agree that it should be a full 3 credits.

Including set up/take down it's a 3 hour commitment once a week for 4 months during the school year. Never mind practice (although I'm going to guess based on the product that we've seen that they don't practice). (If they do practice, and put that product on the floor, they should strongly consider changing majors).

You take classes once a week for that amount of time during the school year that count as 3 credits. I don't understand why this would be less.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good news! Dan met with Cheer and Band today.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wonder if CFL ever bothered with doing all these
things to make us a real program?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wonder if CFL ever bothered with doing all these
things to make us a real program?
LOL
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think a good bands adds a lot to the college game atmosphere. It won't mask a bad team, but it adds to a good experience if the team is fun to watch.
I'll take that over the fake excitement the video board tries to create.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I know for a fact that CFL met with the band and demanded Lawrence Welk music be played to get the fans up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This guy is the best.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

It's the little things; like making everyone on campus feel like they are part of the program; like they have a stake in the success; that will build it.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So Dan and other key members of the URI Athletics staff met with the URI Pep Band director to review their playlist and expectations for next season. Some songs were scratched and there will be new ones added to allow the Pep Band to showcase their talents and Rhody spirit during games.

As the basketball program achieves more success, pep band membership will improve and these student volunteers (no schollys for pep band, unlike the marching band), will be eager to have a chance to travel to post season tournaments with the hoops team and other spirit squads like Cheer and Ramettes.
0 x
districtballer
Michael Andersen

Unread post by districtballer »

The Pep Band at VCU is a huge part of the atmosphere at our home games. VCU has a top 15 national winning percentage at home in large part due to what they do.

A strong pep band is essential to making home games rock and creating an overwhelming home court advantage. Good to see Hurley is taking steps to address that.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think the pep band should add some guitars, a synthesizer and some drums to help them modernize their playlist....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
districtballer
Michael Andersen

George Mason is also going to up the ante when they join the A-10 this season as well. They flat-out rock the house.

For your listening pleasure:
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Our former coach preferred champagne music.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gotta have White Stripes Seven Nation Army. Must.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

TruePoint wrote:Gotta have White Stripes Seven Nation Army. Must.
Totally agree.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Gotta have White Stripes Seven Nation Army. Must.
Can't go wrong with anything related to the White Stripes...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I didn't know VCU fans were allowed to say something nice about George Mason.
0 x
districtballer
Michael Andersen

ace wrote:I didn't know VCU fans were allowed to say something nice about George Mason.
Why not? They have a great band.

I don't think we're as big rivals as many think we are at first look.

VCU's arch rival is ODU and Richmond is hot on their heels. Mason is 3rd on that list if you consider them a rival. Jim Larranaga obviously turned that program around and they have a very strong recent tradition but there is no real meaningful history with George Mason and VCU the way there is with ODU and Richmond for VCU.

I think it could develop in the A-10, but my blood certainly doesn't boil when I think of George Mason.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

districtballer wrote:
ace wrote:I didn't know VCU fans were allowed to say something nice about George Mason.

VCU's arch rival is ODU and Richmond is hot on their heels. Mason is 3rd on that list if you consider them a rival. Jim Latrranaga obviously turned that program around and they have a very strong recent tradition but there is no real meaningful history with George Mason and VCU the way there is with ODU and Richmond for VCU.

I think it could develop in the A-10, but my blood certainly doesn't boil when I think of George Mason.
Just recalling the thread on your board when George Mason's joining the league was announced. It was funny.
0 x
districtballer
Michael Andersen

ace wrote:
districtballer wrote:

VCU's arch rival is ODU and Richmond is hot on their heels. Mason is 3rd on that list if you consider them a rival. Jim Latrranaga obviously turned that program around and they have a very strong recent tradition but there is no real meaningful history with George Mason and VCU the way there is with ODU and Richmond for VCU.

Just recalling the thread on your board when George Mason's joining the league was announced. It was funny.
Oh yes, it was hilarious.

Most of those guys swore Mason isn't a rival and then all that vitriol poured out. I think it was more having the satisfaction of knowing we had trumped them in conference realignment for many of them and being upset that we were on a level playing field again that set them off.

For a lot of our newer fans Mason is a rival since we've both been good at the same times and competing for conference championships in the CAA. It's about a 2-hour drive and there are ingredients there to make a nice rivalry. I never saw Mason as more than a circumstantial rivalry due to being in the same conference. We were never rivals before we entered the CAA in 1995 and we didn't have them on the schedule after we left last year. That was not true of ODU and UR. Regardless of being in different leagues or the same, UR and ODU have always had a rivalry with VCU dating back to the 70's when VCU was an up-start D1 program.

I guess it depends on who you ask. I don't really see them that way at all and I think everyone sees Mason at most as a secondary rival. It's fun to hate though, and our posters indulge liberally at times :lol: . There are unabashed homers on our boards just as much as any college board in the country. I don't apologize for it, it's the nature of college sports. I just don't dabble in it much, it doesn't do much for me.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

While they're at it, any chance of clothing the Ramettes properly?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:While they're at it, any chance of clothing the Ramettes properly?
meaning?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

They are overdressed!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

From the hundred or so posts Red has on this topic of "Real Ramettes" I would imagine he means miniskirt dresses and high boots with more Rockettes routines..
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

No, what I think he'd like are some "Pole Routines." (And we ain't referring to Slavic Studies!) :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:From the hundred or so posts Red has on this topic of "Real Ramettes" I would imagine he means miniskirt dresses and high boots with more Rockettes routines..
I would co-sign that petition.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Next year's needs: Ryan Center In-Game Experience

Richmond has added the very large 15ft x 32ft HD video display boards to the Robins Center as part of their planned upgrades to their basketball facility.

http://collegechalktalk.com/?p=7398

0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

The Ryan Center could do something like that with the big scoreboard they have right now. I nice LED would be cool. But I assume they are VERY expensive.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The overhead scoreboard will be the next big item for The Ryan Center.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URIGONZO
ARD

Anyone on this board have an idea what one of those LED scoreboards would cost?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As sheer coincidence, I was at a bar in Manhattan this past week and met a CBS Sports official with whom I had a brief conversation. The guy was very knowledgeable about college sports since, through his current job and his former jobs, he has visited practically every college campus in America. When I mentioned that I was a URI grad, he immediately responded with the comment "great school, great location", a school with lots of potential, but to him it's like they (the state government and residents) have put up a wall around the state.

He had nice things to say about Dan Hurley. He also said the the in-game basketball experience at URI is weak and needs improvement. He thought PC's experience was better, but only marginally so. Getting on prime time TV is all about winning and having an exciting environment.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Anyone know if Dan Yorke is back for a 2nd season?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Haven't heard. I don't see Mancuso coming back after the TV work he did last year during men's games. We were very spoiled to have him for 10yrs.

Dan was much less obnoxious by season's end than he was in the first half.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I know I'm in the minority..but I LOVED Dan Yorke. He was much more entertaining than what was on the floor. I was into it
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Yes you are Blue Man. While I agree he improved I'm not at all a fan of his radio style. Not appropriate as a PA announcer. One huge pet peeve was when he would still be talking as a player was shooting a free throw. We can do better and for me it's actually a big part of the in game experience. What I mean is that they are like a ref. when the are good, you know they are there but don't really notice them. When they are bad it is really annoying and they take away distract you from the actual game play.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

I used to LOVE Mancuso: "A 3 from Hellleennnnnnnngaaaaaaaaaaa"
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Youuuuuurrrr Rhode Islllaand Raaaaammmsssss!!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Yeah I want my PA announcer to be as much of a homer as I am.

I'm hoping for dunks hilighted by - GIIIIIIIIILLLLLLVVVVYYYYYYYDAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAA

We have names that can be stretched out to be awesome.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How about "X marks the spot!" when Munford drills a 3?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Ceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i dont want color commentary from my PA announcer....be a homer yes, put a creative spin on names and calling the action sure, extra BS no... it makes it amateur hour. would be happy with a new voice.

in addition they have to get much better at the in-game sponsor stuff, too clunky and doesnt need to be. everyone has all types of stuff sponsored or brought to you by but it can be done in a better way than we do it.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

“We are excited to work with Panasonic to enhance the overall fan experience in the new Robins Center,” Richmond Athletic Director Keith Gill said. “The new LED displays will really add to the excitement of the games.”
The wording of that leads me to believe that this is a branding opportunity for Panasonic, so Richmond probably didn't pay full price.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

For every similar technology upgrade in the competitive digital HD displays sports market there has been similar acknowledgement of the vendor who helped plan, design, manufacture, and install the new system. See Xavier with ANC.

http://www.ancsports.com/news/ncaa/cint ... scoreboard

Virginia Tech and Panasonic

Northern Illinois and Daktronics

University of Illinois and Daktronics(looks like Daktronics won a state deal)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Upgrading the video situation would definitely be my next target if I were making the decisions.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think that's part of the bundle when we get a new center hung scoreboard. A new video production room will be part of it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So, I've received some very good news with regard to progress in making major enhancements to the in-game atmosphere in the Ryan Center.

This season's improvements are well known at this point:
  • New Gorgeous Floor
  • New NBA/Final Four style backstops w/ new rims and backboards
  • New 40 foot LED video board at the scorer's table
I'm told there will be news of one other major improvement for this season to be announced within the next several weeks.

For NEXT year, progress is being made on a complete refresh of the Ryan Center digital signage and video system. The bid for enhancements targeted for next season has been won by AJP, one of the world's top firms specializing in stadium/arena video. They have a very impressive portfolio and have designed the AV upgrades for Xavier's Cintas Center which should give you a general idea of what URI would like to do with the Ryan Center.

In addition to the center hung scoreboard and LED ribbon, new LED floor lighting is also a likely addition. The floor/event lighting upgrade is going to be a major $ saver and greatly improve the arena's carbon footprint and energy efficiency. Of course, LED event lighting allows for instant on/off and full-range dimming effects.

These are MAJOR plans to raise the fan experience in the Thomas M. Ryan Center to an entirely new level. There is so much being done to elevate URI Basketball to a championship level, nationally recognized program!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't know why a center-hung scoreboard wasn't part of the original plan for the Ryan Center. I'm glad it's in the works.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!