Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Seems the belt is a point of emphasis! I feel safer knowing each and every belt buckle is checked. :roll:
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

the belt sitch is not good news for UNTUCKit investors...
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I typically carry a micro-sized Swiss army all-in-one tool on my keys... One of these clowns made me bring it back to my car after waiting in the line for 10 minutes. The blade is .75" and no more dangerous than my keys themselves. I hid it behind a tree right next to the Ryan with the intent to grab it on the way out. I thought he was gonna cavity search me because I was back in line so quick.

I'm all for security, but these rent-a-cops take themselves JUST A BIT too seriously.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

the_one_mike wrote:I typically carry a micro-sized Swiss army all-in-one tool on my keys... One of these clowns made me bring it back to my car after waiting in the line for 10 minutes. The blade is .75" and no more dangerous than my keys themselves. I hid it behind a tree right next to the Ryan with the intent to grab it on the way out. I thought he was gonna cavity search me because I was back in line so quick.

I'm all for security, but these rent-a-cops take themselves JUST A BIT too seriously.
and a razor blade is only an inch long, but you can do major damage slashing with it...same way you could with the blade you had.

are simple instructions like 'no knives' or 'no guns' really that hard to follow?

This isnt rocket science, you are given a specific and simple set of rules...and frankly by not following them you're adding to the same wait times you complain about
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:I typically carry a micro-sized Swiss army all-in-one tool on my keys... One of these clowns made me bring it back to my car after waiting in the line for 10 minutes. The blade is .75" and no more dangerous than my keys themselves. I hid it behind a tree right next to the Ryan with the intent to grab it on the way out. I thought he was gonna cavity search me because I was back in line so quick.

and a razor blade is only an inch long, but you can do major damage slashing with it...same way you could with the blade you had.

are simple instructions like 'no knives' or 'no guns' really that hard to follow?

This isnt rocket science, you are given a specific and simple set of rules...and frankly by not following them you're adding to the same wait times you complain about
Sounds like protecting annoying people like you is the reason they need to confiscate such dangerous objects from people like me.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You’re really complaining about not being allowed to bring your Swiss Army knife into a place with 7500+ people in it? Are you high? Drunk? Both?

What planet am I on??
2 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Was everyone attending in fear prior to this season? Can anyone honestly say they felt unsafe last year?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Was everyone attending in fear prior to this season? Can anyone honestly say they felt unsafe last year?
Never even thought about being in danger. Now I do...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

the_one_mike wrote:

Sounds like protecting annoying people like you is the reason they need to confiscate such dangerous objects from people like me.
Are you allowed to take this knife on a plane?
My guess would be no but just curious.
I’d think the metal detector and rules on what is and is not allowed would be the same as airport.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Should we have same security at stop and shop? Movie theater? Church? Seriously.

Let’s not use the TSA as any example of reasonable and well executed security.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My point is you would not be allowed a knife on a plane nor should you be allowed a knife into the Ryan Center.
That’s all. Keep it simple.
In NFL you can’t take in back packs, must have see through purses, no knives,
Have the same rules as NFL
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Get there early and no issues at all.
Open doors 1.5 hours early for all games like VCU does for all their games which are all sold out
Earlier opening will change dan behavior and they will adjust their schedule accordingly
Way too many coming into seats 5, 10 even 30 or more minutes after game start. Difficult for those who are on time to get their views blocked during game sction
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m still questioning the idea that someone thought it was ok to bring a knife into The Ryan Center and got all pissy when asked to bring it back to the car.

You have got to be kidding me.
1 x
Go Rhody
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

Changing the subject: Watching last Saturday's game against Duquesne on TV, I was astonished to see that the vast majority of URI fans on the lower bowl (behind the bench) were sitting during the last play. If ever there was a time to get up on your feet and cheer, that was it -- but instead, the vast majority of those people -- clear as a bell on national TV - sat. I replayed it a couple of times just to be sure -- asses glued to their seats. Having been a URI fan going back for decades, I always thought this was a URI thing by their older fan base. I have been yelled at many times at both Keaney and Ryan to "sit down" during a game at pivotal plays and moments -- incredible.

I fondly recall sitting in Keaney along the court as a student (my preferred seat was right behind the Rammettes -- great location.) I've always thought that if the Ryan Center could create that "Cameron Indoor Stadium" feel that Duke has with its students along the court, the atmosphere and game experience at Ryan would be so much better for everyone -- and would demonstrate to the student body (i.e., future alumni and season ticket holders) the URI cares about them.

Well, I watched the Duke games against Virginia and last night against Notre Dame. Per usual, the Duke student were standing and cheering the whole game, and constantly on TV (which fuels their antics). But I looked at the crowd above and on the end courts, the season ticket holder seats at Cameron populated by older fans and alumni. I noticed something I did not expect: They acted just like URI fans: they mostly sat and cheered, very few standing. Imagine that: older URI and Duke fans act in much the same way. I also notice it at many other arenas: the dead atmosphere at games, with students tucked away like an afterthought. Duke could sell those student courtside seats for top dollar, but understand they have an even greater value because of the perception they provide on TV and the atmosphere they create.

Lesson to me: if you want to create crazy atmosphere, and a perception to casual TV viewers and fans that this is place I want to go to and be part of, get the students in a place where the TV cameras are on them constantly, like Duke. I doubt the $$ cost to URI of moving a couple of hundred lower bowl season ticket holders on the TV view side would be that much, and likely more than made up by creating an atmosphere that people -- the causal fan that every School needs to capture -- wants to be part of, and would be willing to pay for. In my view, what URI does is dime smart and dollar stupid. How can it be that the powers that beat URI don't see what the most successful program does, and copy it?

You want a cheap and instant upgrade, and an enhancement to the in-game experience: put 5-6 rows of students along the TV side of the court (but carve out a small section behind the opposing team's bench just so they won't complain of intimidation, etc.).

End of screed.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Beachcomber wrote:Changing the subject: Watching last Saturday's game against Duquesne on TV, I was astonished to see that the vast majority of URI fans on the lower bowl (behind the bench) were sitting during the last play. If ever there was a time to get up on your feet and cheer, that was it -- but instead, the vast majority of those people -- clear as a bell on national TV - sat. I replayed it a couple of times just to be sure -- asses glued to their seats. Having been a URI fan going back for decades, I always thought this was a URI thing by their older fan base. I have been yelled at many times at both Keaney and Ryan to "sit down" during a game at pivotal plays and moments -- incredible.

I fondly recall sitting in Keaney along the court as a student (my preferred seat was right behind the Rammettes -- great location.) I've always thought that if the Ryan Center could create that "Cameron Indoor Stadium" feel that Duke has with its students along the court, the atmosphere and game experience at Ryan would be so much better for everyone -- and would demonstrate to the student body (i.e., future alumni and season ticket holders) the URI cares about them.

Well, I watched the Duke games against Virginia and last night against Notre Dame. Per usual, the Duke student were standing and cheering the whole game, and constantly on TV (which fuels their antics). But I looked at the crowd above and on the end courts, the season ticket holder seats at Cameron populated by older fans and alumni. I noticed something I did not expect: They acted just like URI fans: they mostly sat and cheered, very few standing. Imagine that: older URI and Duke fans act in much the same way. I also notice it at many other arenas: the dead atmosphere at games, with students tucked away like an afterthought. Duke could sell those student courtside seats for top dollar, but understand they have an even greater value because of the perception they provide on TV and the atmosphere they create.

Lesson to me: if you want to create crazy atmosphere, and a perception to casual TV viewers and fans that this is place I want to go to and be part of, get the students in a place where the TV cameras are on them constantly, like Duke. I doubt the $$ cost to URI of moving a couple of hundred lower bowl season ticket holders on the TV view side would be that much, and likely more than made up by creating an atmosphere that people -- the causal fan that every School needs to capture -- wants to be part of, and would be willing to pay for. In my view, what URI does is dime smart and dollar stupid. How can it be that the powers that beat URI don't see what the most successful program does, and copy it?

You want a cheap and instant upgrade, and an enhancement to the in-game experience: put 5-6 rows of students along the TV side of the court (but carve out a small section behind the opposing team's bench just so they won't complain of intimidation, etc.).

End of screed.
To be fair, the Ryan Center was built with that thought process in mind. There is a reason that a railing/fence exists between 103-107 and 203-207, along with plastic seats instead of the cushy ones in 204, 205, 206 and across the court.

The problem is that Jim Baron killed the program, the fan base, and the attendance. There had to be a way to squeeze more money out of those who would attend games to offset the empty seats everywhere else.

Also, URI students have it good. Totally free tickets to games, which isn't something afforded to fans of many other programs.

I expect in the coming years, once sellouts become more a rule than exception, they will move back to having the students in the 100 levels.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There are significant differences at Duke. First the Duke students do not sit behind the team benches which is verboten at most schools. Second, Duke students pay to attend the games and have to stand in a first come first served line to get in and the number of students is capped at a number below the 1500 that URI permits. Not sure on the exact cap number, however. Finally, Duke can afford to put the students in such desirable seats because the move is, in essence, subsidized by Duke season ticket holders. You cannot buy a season ticket to Duke games without making a monetary contribution of $6500 each season. And if you are a first time season ticket buyer, the ante is an initial $7500. And no one at Duke is allowed to buy more than four season tickets. So ALL Duke season ticket holders contribute to the program in a significant amount. This latter point is not true at URI. I know several season ticket holders who have great seats, but do not contribute a dime to the program. Not a damn dime.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the view from Section 105 is often some/most sitting during those tension gripping game moments.....trying to change that......as for getting the students into the 100’s side lines......bring it behind the visitor bench......I suppose rows behind the Rhody bench would remain comps, families, VIP guests, player/media will calls etc......and my seats.....selfish?.....YES
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Also let's not blame Jim Baron for everything. URI made the move on student seats based on numerous complaints to the A-10 offices by A-10 schools about the set-up at URI which was not prevalent at any D1 school and was indefensible. In the end it comes down to a level playing field and good sportsmanship. Let's not act like Eagles fans.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote:There are significant differences at Duke. First the Duke students do not sit behind the team benches which is verboten at most schools. Second, Duke students pay to attend the games and have to stand in a first come first served line to get in and the number of students is capped at a number below the 1500 that URI permits. Not sure on the exact cap number, however. Finally, Duke can afford to put the students in such desirable seats because the move is, in essence, subsidized by Duke season ticket holders. You cannot buy a season ticket to Duke games without making a monetary contribution of $6500 each season. And if you are a first time season ticket buyer, the ante is an initial $7500. And no one at Duke is allowed to buy more than four season tickets. So ALL Duke season ticket holders contribute to the program in a significant amount. This latter point is not true at URI. I know several season ticket holders who have great seats, but do not contribute a dime to the program. Not a damn dime.
so do URI students...for 15 years and counting now.

Every URI student is charged a fee that goes to paying for the Ryan Center...said fee was set up under the lie that student seats would be the 100 bowl.

Instead they stuck them in an endzone and kept the money.

The actual plan when it opened was students wrapped around the court in the 100s like Cameron Indoor
2 x
---
---
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

Blue, good points. FYI, I attended the senior day game against UMass that URI lost in the last second, likely eliminating them from NCAA consideration, and vowed on the long drive home that I'd never attend another game at Ryan while Baron was coach. Me, a loyal fan through good and bad for over 20 years, pulled out after too many years of Baron-ball. Heck, I even stuck with it during the Jerry D. and Claude English fiasco years -- Claude was a smooth operator with coeds at the local bars, not so much on the sideline. But it took Baron to drive me away.

But, is it fair to say that URI students get their tickets "for free?" My understanding is that in order to get Ryan built, the university had to pick up a portion of the cost. That cost, in turn, was transferred in part to students through increased fees. If so, each student pays for a part of that stadium, whether they go to games or not. (BTW, I read a good article recently about how university's are increasingly relying on "fees" to conceal tuition increases.)

And, wasn't it more than that Ryan built with this thought process in mind? I thought I read somewhere that preferred seating was a promise to students, not just some aspirational goal.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Interesting list of current college basketball arenas with capacities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... all_arenas
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Every URI student is charged a fee that goes to paying for the Ryan Center...said fee was set up under the lie that student seats would be the 100 bowl.

The actual plan when it opened was students wrapped around the court in the 100s like Cameron Indoor

Duke students pay a fee plus a game ticket price, URI students pay a fee, but there is no game ticket price. Not the same at all. I am surprised you missed that difference.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote:

Duke students pay a fee plus a game ticket price, URI students pay a fee, but get in free. Not the same at all. I am surprised you missed that difference.
they dont pay a fee to directly pay for Cameron Indoor....URI students do for the Ryan Center.

I am surprised you missed that difference
1 x
---
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Obadiah wrote:

Syracuse students have to buy tickets, too. My daughter went there.

Duke students pay a fee plus a game ticket price, URI students pay a fee, but get in free. Not the same at all. I am surprised you missed that difference.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would like the seats behind the visitors bench to be non-students to prevent complaints....so long as that is the rule at all A10 arenas....once you get to the scorers table all those seats going to be behind our bench should be students only....with our comp tickets mixed in with them.....each baseline stand should be student only...

Use the opposite sideline for high-end donor seats on floor level the entire length of the court....put broadcasters and the press on an elevated platform behind the high value seats.....

When we get to the point we all want then all 200 level seats will be distributed to donors based on their points.....when those are all gone someday....go to seat licenses....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just get rid of the media section and build out the seats. Then put the students opposite the benches. Problem solved and students are where they should be.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

hey dont pay a fee to directly pay for Cameron Indoor....URI students do for the Ryan Center.

Like most schools, URI has always had an athletics fee and it was in effect before Ryan was built. To imply that the fee is for Ryan only is simply not true. There is no difference between Duke fee and URI fee other than one may have increased more than the other. Much of this I Iearned in the briefing sessions held for prospective donors in the run up to building the Ryan Center.

PS. If you closely watch the Duke-URI game replay in another thread. You will clearly see the Duke set-up and how it differs from Ryan. theblueram has the best suggestion to change this.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

theblueram wrote:Just get rid of the media section and build out the seats. Then put the students opposite the benches. Problem solved and students are where they should be.

that media black shower curtain area is a joke

been saying it for years.....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

KevanBoyles wrote:Interesting list of current college basketball arenas with capacities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... all_arenas
Interesting to note that quite a few obscure schools in college basketball have way bigger arenas than URI!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:
Beachcomber wrote:Changing the subject: Watching last Saturday's game against Duquesne on TV, I was astonished to see that the vast majority of URI fans on the lower bowl (behind the bench) were sitting during the last play. If ever there was a time to get up on your feet and cheer, that was it -- but instead, the vast majority of those people -- clear as a bell on national TV - sat. I replayed it a couple of times just to be sure -- asses glued to their seats. Having been a URI fan going back for decades, I always thought this was a URI thing by their older fan base. I have been yelled at many times at both Keaney and Ryan to "sit down" during a game at pivotal plays and moments -- incredible.

End of screed.
To be fair, the Ryan Center was built with that thought process in mind. There is a reason that a railing/fence exists between 103-107 and 203-207, along with plastic seats instead of the cushy ones in 204, 205, 206 and across the court.

The problem is that Jim Baron killed the program, the fan base, and the attendance. There had to be a way to squeeze more money out of those who would attend games to offset the empty seats everywhere else.

Also, URI students have it good. Totally free tickets to games, which isn't something afforded to fans of many other programs.

I expect in the coming years, once sellouts become more a rule than exception, they will move back to having the students in the 100 levels.
Not totally free at all. They're paying for the seats behind the bench with their student fees. That they got moved while they're still paying for those seats is a travesty
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Beachcomber wrote:But, is it fair to say that URI students get their tickets "for free?" My understanding is that in order to get Ryan built, the university had to pick up a portion of the cost. That cost, in turn, was transferred in part to students through increased fees. If so, each student pays for a part of that stadium, whether they go to games or not. (BTW, I read a good article recently about how university's are increasingly relying on "fees" to conceal tuition increases.)

And, wasn't it more than that Ryan built with this thought process in mind? I thought I read somewhere that preferred seating was a promise to students, not just some aspirational goal.
This is correct. URI students at the time agreed to an extra fee solely to be used to pay bonds on the Ryan Center and in return were promised 100 level seats. That fee is lumped in under a generic student services fee to avoid the "I don't go to games, why am I paying this" argument, but that money comes right off the top and is solely used to pay for the Ryan Center. The Ryan Center doesn't get built without the students agreeing to that fee and the students at the time (I was one) don't agree to that fee without the promise of 100 level seats.

Once the "institutional knowledge" of how students got those seats in the first place disappeared, the athletic department gave an internship to the head of the student group if he would agree to move the student group to its current area.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

http://rhodycigar.com/2017/03/02/buildi ... e-in-2018/

This article talks about the fees students pay for the Ryan Center
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:http://rhodycigar.com/2017/03/02/buildi ... e-in-2018/

This article talks about the fees students pay for the Ryan Center
I think they have their priorities wrong. The basketball team should be priority number one since that is why the Ryan Center was built.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The URI student senate (the group that is actually authorized to collect the student fees in question) approved a specific portion of each student fee for the ryan center specifically with the promise of no at door cost tix and 3 sides of the 100. It was widely covered in the cigar at the time, and is recorded in the minutes of the senate. I would even go as far as to say it was discussed as a contract between students and the university. I would believe that unless the student senate authorized the move in seats by a formal vote, the University is in breach of contract and owes money to all students, in the amount of the ryan center fees, to all students as the seats were taken from them without their representatives changing the agreement on their behalf. I have advocated the Senate defend their constituents fees for years, but I am not a student and they are the ones who have to decide to have the fight.

I do understand why the university moved season tix holders to the seat, as the empty seats on TV looked worse then old farts who forgot how to clap.

I also think this general argument is still at least 3 years or a coaching change from having to be evaluated seriously.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Obadiah wrote:

they dont pay a fee to directly pay for Cameron Indoor....URI students do for the Ryan Center.

URI students do not pay for the Ryan Center. The state did and athletics pays for its usage.

URI student fees go to athletics and fund the athletic budget. Ryan Center was paid for by state bonds.

There was never an agreement that said students get specific seats...no matter the original plans. Please stop making up theories if you don’t have facts.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
Obadiah wrote:

URI students do not pay for the Ryan Center. The state did and athletics pays for its usage.

URI student fees go to athletics and fund the athletic budget. Ryan Center was paid for by state bonds.

There was never an agreement that said students get specific seats...no matter the original plans. Please stop making up theories if you don’t have facts.
You're wrong on this one
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

You're wrong on this one
Do tell me how, since I worked in the athletic department during that time and was in every meeting as it pertained to student seating from 07-09.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The state only paid for about 1/3 of the cost of the Ryan Center. 1/3 was paid for by individual and corporate donations and naming rights. The remainder of the cost was paid for with bonds secured by the state. URI was tasked with paying off the bonds over a long period from venue revenues and student fees. If I am not mistaken, the student fees designated solely for the RC bond repayment were increased early on as revenues were not meeting projections. Note that this student fee was separate from the normal long existing athletics fee.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

You're wrong on this one
Do tell me how, since I worked in the athletic department during that time and was in every meeting as it pertained to student seating from 07-09.
Ignore that I posted an article where a university administrator says student fees go directly towards paying the bond for the building. I was there when it happened. I was in Petro's office discussing student seating. If athletics told you that student fees didn't go to the building and there was no agreement for student seating placement then they didn't know what they were talking about or they were lying to you to begin the process of moving students
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:The state only paid for about 1/3 of the cost of the Ryan Center. 1/3 was paid for by individual and corporate donations and naming rights. The remainder of the cost was paid for with bonds secured by the state. URI was tasked with paying off the bonds over a long period from venue revenues and student fees. If I am not mistaken, the student fees designated solely for the RC bond repayment were increased early on as revenues were not meeting projections. Note that this student fee was separate from the normal long existing athletics fee.
This is correct
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
You're wrong on this one
Ignore that I posted an article where a university administrator says student fees go directly towards paying the bond for the building. I was there when it happened. I was in Petro's office discussing student seating. If athletics told you that student fees didn't go to the building and there was no agreement for student seating placement then they didn't know what they were talking about or they were lying to you to begin the process of moving students
Real simple Blue, you got fed a line of bullsh*t and you bought it.

Like you Rhowdy, I was there at the same time (freshman in '03) and the RC fee was a hot topic. Many opinion pieces and articles were run in the Cigar questioning the validity of it, the fairness, and over the next 4 years the skyrocketing increase of it.

Especially when students were no longer in the sidelines 100s a mere 2 years after the building opened.

the RC fee is real, and still exists. It's how the school is raising the funds and will continue to raise funds to pay back the RC bonds over a 30 year span.
0 x
---
---
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Even without the students ringing the court....with large crowds over 6500..the Ryan Center is a tough place to play...it gets loud.....

If we never go back to putting the students where they truly belong it can still become a very difficult place to play...

We do need to address speeding up the admission process, the concessions and the WiFi to keep people coming and enjoying the experience....

...in addition to winning of course..and watching history unfold before our eyes if Dan chooses to stay here long term and become the most important coach in the history of the University and the A10 ..
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
MARhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MARhody »

I will echo what most have already said about the in-game experience:

- WIFI and cell phone reception, excruciatingly bad. It'd be nice to be able to find and meet people, make a post to social media to publicize the event -- during the event.

- I can't remember the last time I bought a concession, lines way too long, food quality not great. It used to be I'd go to the "dots" ice cream, but I'm not sure that is there anymore? Kids are older now and pay attention w/out needing the ice cream incentive.

- I've only been in the "beer garden" once, again, took much too long to be worth it. We drive close to 90 mins to the games, would be nice to "have one"...but honestly I'm torn as to if this should be something people can take to their seats. Probably some $ being left on the table, but it's saving my wallet not being able to get one and I don't have to worry about one being spilled on me. Cooler in the parking lot seems to be sufficing quite nicely.

- Security a bit of a pain, but a fact of life these days. Perhaps URI can help mitigate the issue by giving out clear plastic bags for season ticket holders? My wife has a few, never an issue when she has that....and yea, the belt buckle thing is wierd, same with my two kids being wanded front and back. Easy to tell people to "get there early", but it's not always a possibility (note, that when late I always wait until there is a whistle before walking down into my seats). We have made it a point to be earlier this year so have not had to wait long and/or we've been late enough to miss the rush (can't be helped sometimes with kids activities).

- Somewhat related, now that there have been several well attended games, anyone have ideas and/or had success where the best places to park in the Plains Road Lot and get out reasonably? Perhaps someone with better technical skills than I can get a picture in here, but for lack of a better description we've been trying to park in the middle, sort of where there is an intersection between the line to exit that gets out of the lot going west to Plains Road to go South to 138 (to get to Route 2) and the line that goes north to get on Plains Road then snakes thru the farm to Route 4 (to head North). That's given us the best success as its a crossroads where there are two choices direction to go.

And before everyone chimes in with "...just wait around in the arena and leave leisurely", we do that. We are usually one of the last ones out of the stadium, and we don't mind being in the car, even if we have to pull in the radio broadcast off my phone since there is no radio reception for 101.5 on my car radio.....it can take 30 minutes or more to get off campus even taking our time. This is not a complaint per se, as we are very excited about the team and the crowds....but there HAS to be a better way. Can Plains Road be made a one way in order to get people off campus a little quicker, any other "one way" ideas to move things along? I would not think it would be a tremendous burden to close Plains Road inbound for 15-20 minutes after the game.

Go Rhody!
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's Management...............

In this day and age there are Email Surveys after Email Surveys
I get them for every Hotel Stay, Every Plane Trip, Go to a Convert the Venue sends a Survey, and they ask good questions, and they make good use of the results. Pro Football Teams have surveys

Any surveys on the Food Service at the Ryan? Surveys on Security? Surveys on Pub? Suggestions solicited on how to improve the Overall Experience?
How you like the sound system? Video System? How to improve parking? How do you like the Ticketing process? Many Teams have already gone to paperless tickets - 100% mobile

Just seems like we are behind the times and don't seem to really want feedback

Or am I off-base and missing something?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

MARhody wrote:I will echo what most have already said about the in-game experience:

- WIFI and cell phone reception, excruciatingly bad. It'd be nice to be able to find and meet people, make a post to social media to publicize the event -- during the event.

- I can't remember the last time I bought a concession, lines way too long, food quality not great. It used to be I'd go to the "dots" ice cream, but I'm not sure that is there anymore? Kids are older now and pay attention w/out needing the ice cream incentive.

- I've only been in the "beer garden" once, again, took much too long to be worth it. We drive close to 90 mins to the games, would be nice to "have one"...but honestly I'm torn as to if this should be something people can take to their seats. Probably some $ being left on the table, but it's saving my wallet not being able to get one and I don't have to worry about one being spilled on me. Cooler in the parking lot seems to be sufficing quite nicely.

- Security a bit of a pain, but a fact of life these days. Perhaps URI can help mitigate the issue by giving out clear plastic bags for season ticket holders? My wife has a few, never an issue when she has that....and yea, the belt buckle thing is wierd, same with my two kids being wanded front and back. Easy to tell people to "get there early", but it's not always a possibility (note, that when late I always wait until there is a whistle before walking down into my seats). We have made it a point to be earlier this year so have not had to wait long and/or we've been late enough to miss the rush (can't be helped sometimes with kids activities).

- Somewhat related, now that there have been several well attended games, anyone have ideas and/or had success where the best places to park in the Plains Road Lot and get out reasonably? Perhaps someone with better technical skills than I can get a picture in here, but for lack of a better description we've been trying to park in the middle, sort of where there is an intersection between the line to exit that gets out of the lot going west to Plains Road to go South to 138 (to get to Route 2) and the line that goes north to get on Plains Road then snakes thru the farm to Route 4 (to head North). That's given us the best success as its a crossroads where there are two choices direction to go.

And before everyone chimes in with "...just wait around in the arena and leave leisurely", we do that. We are usually one of the last ones out of the stadium, and we don't mind being in the car, even if we have to pull in the radio broadcast off my phone since there is no radio reception for 101.5 on my car radio.....it can take 30 minutes or more to get off campus even taking our time. This is not a complaint per se, as we are very excited about the team and the crowds....but there HAS to be a better way. Can Plains Road be made a one way in order to get people off campus a little quicker, any other "one way" ideas to move things along? I would not think it would be a tremendous burden to close Plains Road inbound for 15-20 minutes after the game.

Go Rhody!
park at the very back row as close to the exit as you can. then pop out the back, left at the stop sign and head out the back way and you come out at the 1st light on Rt 1.

So, in this image. The red block in the upper left corner is the plains lot. park as close to the road coming out of the top as you can, and head up the road that goes out the top of the image (Plains Rd)

have never had it take more than 10 min to leave the lot. well worth the extra walk.

Wifi can improve for sure, cell is tough. Dont forget it's essentially a giant concrete box, that is a cell reception killer.
1 x
---
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

GREAT IDEA to have Plains Rd be ONE WAY towards 138 for the hour immediately after game. Right lane for people who want to take right for 138 West, and left lane for people who want to go straight south on Ministerial or take a left (maybe Left towards 138 East should NOT be allowed at this time).
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Always think the wreaths are a nice touch during the holidays.

I wonder if they could hang something else there when they don’t have the wreaths.

Interlocked RI? RHODE ISLAND? The Ram symbol ppl love? Back lit?
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......we have beat this around......in game video replay capability.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I have brought some of the board's concerns to the athletic department and will have their responses on this week's podcast.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
WFDRamFan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by WFDRamFan »

MARhody wrote:I will echo what most have already said about the in-game experience:

Go Rhody!
park at the very back row as close to the exit as you can. then pop out the back, left at the stop sign and head out the back way and you come out at the 1st light on Rt 1.

So, in this image. The red block in the upper left corner is the plains lot. park as close to the road coming out of the top as you can, and head up the road that goes out the top of the image (Plains Rd)

have never had it take more than 10 min to leave the lot. well worth the extra walk.

Wifi can improve for sure, cell is tough. Dont forget it's essentially a giant concrete box, that is a cell reception killer.

We always used to park in lot 24, right near the Sherman building, but URI PD blocks off access to Tootel Rd at the intersection of Flagg Rd. This year, we have been parking in lot 21, behind the maintenance buildings. Extremely easy to get out and head back north.
0 x