Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Beer $
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Met a lot of girls. No idea how to talk to them though.
3 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I was an usher for b-ball ‘76-‘78 and thought I was the bomb in my blue blazer. Easiest job I ever had at URI.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CT Rhody wrote:Why wouldn’t URI hire college kids looking for beer money that will work events to staff these concessions? I did that back in college for a minor league hockey team and it worked out great. We busted our butt and got some great beer money out of it!
The problem isn't who they hire (though they certainly could use some more people) so much as the fact that their equipment and processes are unacceptable. I actually feel bad for people who have to work under those conditions -- 99 percent of them are trying their hardest but their employer ties their hands behind their backs.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I stopped buying concession food a few years ago. It's just not good and very over priced.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If I’m buying popcorn or a drink, the best time is during the first 5 min of the game.
0 x
GO RAMS
Buckets
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Buckets »

One of my pet peeves is people going to their seats during live play, really irritates me honestly. I recently went to a Celtics game and they have an usher and signs telling them to wait for a whistle before finding your seats. It really makes a difference. Its a small inconvenience but I think it really increases everyone's experience during games.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Buckets wrote:One of my pet peeves is people going to their seats during live play, really irritates me honestly. I recently went to a Celtics game and they have an usher and signs telling them to wait for a whistle before finding your seats. It really makes a difference. Its a small inconvenience but I think it really increases everyone's experience during games.
It’s absurd ushers don’t do anything about that.

Once again most of our fans aren’t sports fans so they don’t understand what is happening.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

If we are discussing pet peeves how about the knuckle heads that leave with 5 minutes still on the clock. It’s a shame they can’t tough it out not to mention the lack of respect for the team and outher fans, I just don’t get it!
6 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Speaking of pet peeves...
Don't get me started on how bad Dan York is at being an announcer. It's seriously taking away from my enjoyment of the game. Just so horrible at being an announcer and in my opinion is getting worse and worse. Everything is long winded. Free throws are the free throws of death. He's butchering player's names after a basket in an attempt to make his voice the center of attention instead of the great play that just took place. On and on and on....
If it wasn't for my friend who sits to my left, I wouldn't renew my season tickets anymore. I'd rather spend the money on upgrading my cable and watching key games on TV and listen on the radio than spend another season listening to that guy. Just how I feel and I know for a fact I am far from the only one.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dude,
What are your thoughts when he yells "0ne minute" when there is a minute left in the 1st half and in the game? I don't seem to recall this being done at other venues. Seems strange to yell that out.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote:Dude,
What are your thoughts when he yells "0ne minute" when there is a minute left in the 1st half and in the game? I don't seem to recall this being done at other venues. Seems swqtrange to yell that out.
I heard it done on one of the games I watched yesterday. ... UMass, maybe?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The Dude wrote:Speaking of pet peeves...
Don't get me started on how bad Dan York is at being an announcer. It's seriously taking away from my enjoyment of the game. Just so horrible at being an announcer and in my opinion is getting worse and worse. Everything is long winded. Free throws are the free throws of death. He's butchering player's names after a basket in an attempt to make his voice the center of attention instead of the great play that just took place. On and on and on....
If it wasn't for my friend who sits to my left, I wouldn't renew my season tickets anymore. I'd rather spend the money on upgrading my cable and watching key games on TV and listen on the radio than spend another season listening to that guy. Just how I feel and I know for a fact I am far from the only one.
Dude you are probably the only person in the history of organized basketball to weigh your attendance on what the in game announcer says.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Phen Egap wrote:If we are discussing pet peeves how about the knuckle heads that leave with 5 minutes still on the clock. It’s a shame they can’t tough it out not to mention the lack of respect for the team and outher fans, I just don’t get it!
Couldn't agree more - is it really that much of an advantage to leave early to get to your car? Super-lame!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

The Dude wrote:Speaking of pet peeves...

This is one of the worst hot takes I've ever heard.
2 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Pet Peeve--- The kid that has the mike trying to get the crowd into the game. He does a great job but I hate him yelling I need more noise etc. It should be We need or Rhody needs instead of I. Last game he was better at this. Not a big complained because he does do a good job.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He has the same three lines every game, like maybe try and come up with something original for once?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You cannot criticize EZ Buckets, aka the guy with the mike aka Rhody Hoops Hype Man, on Keaney Blue. That's cause for expulsion. Dude does yeomans work and has been there since when you could hear a pin drop in that building. He is phenomenal and will be sorely missed when he retires at the end of this season.
20 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

bigappleram wrote:You cannot criticize EZ Buckets, aka the guy with the mike aka Rhody Hoops Hype Man, on Keaney Blue. That's cause for expulsion. Dude does yeomans work and has been there since when you could hear a pin drop in that building. He is phenomenal and will be sorely missed when he retires at the end of this season.
Thanks, BAR. Appreciate the kind words.

I’m honestly just happy we’re doing so well that our most active threads in the middle of A10 play involves complaining about concessions, Ram zone, Yorke, me, stat updates etc etc

To address the posters above - I do not like yelling & screaming the same 3 lines repeatedly. I had to during every timeout for 6-7 seasons with only 2-4K people there while we stunk. If you weren’t there - I was literally begging people to cheer & bribing them with T-shirts. I still have nightmares about it.

Even now, the winter break games are still difficult. Regardless of near sell outs, it’s been tough to get some energy in the building and I’ve been doing my best to squeeze it out & have been blowing my voice in the process trying to start cheers & give us an edge. So I’m very much looking forward to the students being back & yelling less.

I realize I can get redudant (After 100+ games I should be) but it’s my schtick and you all have to deal with it for only a handful of more games and then you’ll never hear it again - for better or for worse.
20 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......hopefully during the senior nite game, some appropriate recognition will be made of the Buckets work.....
7 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

EZBuckets wrote:
bigappleram wrote:You cannot criticize EZ Buckets, aka the guy with the mike aka Rhody Hoops Hype Man, on Keaney Blue. That's cause for expulsion. Dude does yeomans work and has been there since when you could hear a pin drop in that building. He is phenomenal and will be sorely missed when he retires at the end of this season.
Thanks, BAR. Appreciate the kind words.

I’m honestly just happy we’re doing so well that our most active threads in the middle of A10 play involves complaining about concessions, Ram zone, Yorke, me, stat updates etc etc

To address the posters above - I do not like yelling & screaming the same 3 lines repeatedly. I had to during every timeout for 6-7 seasons with only 2-4K people there while we stunk. If you weren’t there - I was literally begging people to cheer & bribing them with T-shirts. I still have nightmares about it.

Even now, the winter break games are still difficult. Regardless of near sell outs, it’s been tough to get some energy in the building and I’ve been doing my best to squeeze it out & have been blowing my voice in the process trying to start cheers & give us an edge. So I’m very much looking forward to the students being back & yelling less.

I realize I can get redudant (After 100+ games I should be) but it’s my schtick and you all have to deal with it for only a handful of more games and then you’ll never hear it again - for better or for worse.

EZ-

I was in your area at the St Bona game behind the hoop...

You def do agreat job

Very much appreciate all your dedication and work

You will be missed

I get all good things must come to an end..

But not sure if you ever elaborated on why this season is your last ?

Not sure if they plan on replacing you.. but we could use you the next few years and keep this thing going ...

Anyways, great job on Saturday w/o students and in general..

Always appreciate your enthusiasm..!
6 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

ElmCityRhody wrote: EZ-
You def do agreat job
You will be missed
Not sure if they plan on replacing you.. but we could use you the next few years and keep this thing going ...
Hey ECR, I haven't really elaborated but I'd be happy to explain here a bit since you've asked-

I started in '08 when I was a 21 year old Rhody Senior interning for Steve Mac. I'm about to turn 32 and I don't necessarily want to suddenly be in my mid-30's still running around the Ryan Center screaming along with the 18 year olds in the Ruckus.

Don't get me wrong - I still love what I do and I'd be lying if I haven't had second thoughts when multiple folks stop me every game and ask me not to leave. But it's getting more and more difficult to maintain the constant energy required to do it right and some nights it feels more like a "job" than it used to.

I'd also really like to finally sit and enjoy a game at the Ryan Center without having to worry about what section I need to run to - or what I need to do/say for the next timeout. Even the idea of waiting in a long line at the Rhody Pub for a beer sounds exciting right about now.

I've also already assured Athletics/Marketing that I will gladly donate my time to find and audition possible replacements and have also agreed to mentor whoever gets the gig into next season if necessary to help make the transition as smooth as possible.

With that all said - it's still going to be tough walking away from the longest and greatest job I've ever had next month (I'm already getting emotional typing this) but I think 10 seasons is nice number to end on and I'll of course still be at every game, perhaps a little drunk, and definitely still starting a Rhody Rhody Rhody chant - it'll just be from Section 203 instead of the sideline.
20 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

EZBuckets wrote:
With that all said - it's still going to be tough walking away from the longest and greatest job I've ever had next month (I'm already getting emotional typing this) but I think 10 seasons is nice number to end on and I'll of course still be at every game, perhaps a little drunk, and definitely still starting a Rhody Rhody Rhody chant - it'll just be from Section 203 instead of the sideline.
Awesome to hear. Also wanna give a shout out that the Young Alumni Section (203) has been super fun this year. Tons of energy and usually pretty full every game. I hope they dont take it away once success is the norm haha
6 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

understandable EZ.. and thank you for bringing a new dynamic to the RC experience and you leading us on !

happy to hear you still will be attending games after this season !

now lets finish the year off strong !
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

EZBuckets that’s great that you’ll be involved with the replacement!

Everyone including multiple curmudgeons that I know thinks you do a great job and have positively contributed to multiple wins. Last season Davidson game stands out if I recall you had the place in a frenzy. Worth 5 points at least!

Don’t let one negative remark here bother you.

You are a classic.

Agree tho that Yorke is atrocious - let’s move buckets into that slot! Problem solved!

Thanks so much for everything you’ve done.

Go Rhody!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

EZBuckets wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote: EZ-
You def do agreat job
You will be missed
Hey ECR, I haven't really elaborated but I'd be happy to explain here a bit since you've asked-

I started in '08 when I was a 21 year old Rhody Senior interning for Steve Mac. I'm about to turn 32 and I don't necessarily want to suddenly be in my mid-30's still running around the Ryan Center screaming along with the 18 year olds in the Ruckus.

Don't get me wrong - I still love what I do and I'd be lying if I haven't had second thoughts when multiple folks stop me every game and ask me not to leave. But it's getting more and more difficult to maintain the constant energy required to do it right and some nights it feels more like a "job" than it used to.

I'd also really like to finally sit and enjoy a game at the Ryan Center without having to worry about what section I need to run to - or what I need to do/say for the next timeout. Even the idea of waiting in a long line at the Rhody Pub for a beer sounds exciting right about now.

I've also already assured Athletics/Marketing that I will gladly donate my time to find and audition possible replacements and have also agreed to mentor whoever gets the gig into next season if necessary to help make the transition as smooth as possible.

Welcome to the 203 (next year) EZ! I'll buy you your first Rhody Pub beer next year at the home opener. It's a good section where not all, are sitting on their hands during the game. Also, is pretty close to a men's room/Pub. I hope they never take this section away due to is affordability for the younger alumni.
5 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

LOVE the Young Alumni section - they are close to where I stand and I always see the whole section up, loud & engaged. I really hope The Ryan Center can continue to expand that section and offer discounted tickets as we continue to develop a new group of fresh alumni fans.

And believe me, I've developed thick skin in the past decade - a few negative comments don't rattle me like they did early on. As evidenced on multiple pages of this 1500+ post thread, I've always been open about my identity and addressed any feedback head on.

I quickly learned that you'll never please everyone - there are plenty of people who just want to watch the damn game and find the silly timeout games & giveaways annoying. It is what it is.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

EZBuckets wrote: - it'll just be from Section 203 instead of the sideline.
This is bullshit. You get your ass to 205.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, how young do you have to be to be a 'younger alumnus' ?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

EZ you are the best. It was great to spend some time with you in Sac Town last year when you were able to enjoy your Rams. We look forward to celebrating your retirement at an NCAA Tournament venue in March. Rhody Rhody Rhody Rams Rams Rams! Whew
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I'll always remember the job he did last season at Mohegan Sun. In the URI section, they felt like home games.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Buckets, RoadyJay signs. :-( We will look back on this era of Rhody hoops fondly when the “sleeping giant” and the RC came alive......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

EZBuckets wrote:

Don't get old, bro.
Just sayin'.
:D :D :D
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

EZBuckets wrote:. Even the idea of waiting in a long line at the Rhody Pub for a beer sounds exciting right about now.
You either have to be kidding, have never had the experience...or...hopefully...both. :lol:
1 x
Rhody1988
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Rhody1988 »

My 2-cents worth as a season ticket holder....so many people aren’t in their seats at tip off, some don’t even make their seats all game—they are in the end zone pubs. Allow beer to be sold at all concessions. Speaking of concessions, we all see the huge lines. Therefore, we don’t buy anything there. This needs to be solved. Add more?? Hire students to work them? And replays would be a great feature. Doesn’t seem that complicated. WiFi is terrible. It’s necessary because nobody has cell phone signals during the game! Fix that!

The in game experiences—the music, the challenges, the t-shirts tosses, the feeebies, all spectacular. Bravo!! It’s all a great experience but it can get better with a few fixes I mentioned above. GoRhody!!
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree on all of the above
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The whole pub sitch is a cluster. We left our seats at the first whistle under two minutes to go before halftime. In Section 208, you can't really be closer to the pub than we are. Waited and waited and waited in line, for one cashier and one beer pour person...got served with 2 minutes to go before the second half started. So, the place is filled to capacity...and they got one person taking payment and another pouring beer and wine.... I think the only way they could possibly make it go slower is...if, they gave you the beer, and you weren't allowed to move until you finished it, and the line had to wait behind you and watch. Really, I think that's the only possible slow down option left, isn't it? Would be interested in hearing any other suggestions that could possibly make that process go any slower...

Awesome halftime...good grief...wanding inspections and rules be danged...this calls for the return of the pocket pub...
4 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It was especially slow tonight for sure. Thankfully I got in line at the 4 minute timeout, and watched their late run on TV. Got back in my seat for the start of the second half
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

UCH21377 wrote:It was especially slow tonight for sure. Thankfully I got in line at the 4 minute timeout, and watched their late run on TV. Got back in my seat for the start of the second half
Conversely, my experience at the normal concession stand was better. The people at the register didn't have to get the food and drink. More people and better system.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The whole pub sitch is a cluster. We left our seats at the first whistle under two minutes to go before halftime. In Section 208, you can't really be closer to the pub than we are. Waited and waited and waited in line, for one cashier and one beer pour person...got served with 2 minutes to go before the second half started. So, the place is filled to capacity...and they got one person taking payment and another pouring beer and wine.... I think the only way they could possibly make it go slower is...if, they gave you the beer, and you weren't allowed to move until you finished it, and the line had to wait behind you and watch. Really, I think that's the only possible slow down option left, isn't it? Would be interested in hearing any other suggestions that could possibly make that process go any slower...

Awesome halftime...good grief...wanding inspections and rules be danged...this calls for the return of the pocket pub...
Maybe a one armed server?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I sat in another section last night with other family members (section 213). Was not used to people coming and going so frequently. I was on the aisle so I was constantly always having to get up to let people by. Many got to the game late and went to their seats during play. Some were booted for being in the wrong row. Others kept getting up for bathroom and concession breaks. It was kind of annoying.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

WIFI. Biggest issue that needs to be addressed!!! I like to watch the twitter feed during the games for a perspective. Most nights it is very slow. last night was just plain awful.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The whole pub sitch is a cluster. We left our seats at the first whistle under two minutes to go before halftime. In Section 208, you can't really be closer to the pub than we are. Waited and waited and waited in line, for one cashier and one beer pour person...got served with 2 minutes to go before the second half started. So, the place is filled to capacity...and they got one person taking payment and another pouring beer and wine.... I think the only way they could possibly make it go slower is...if, they gave you the beer, and you weren't allowed to move until you finished it, and the line had to wait behind you and watch. Really, I think that's the only possible slow down option left, isn't it? Would be interested in hearing any other suggestions that could possibly make that process go any slower...

I rarely go to the pub. Put 3 nips in my socks and buy a Pepsi. Costs me $5 to enjoy a very strong whiskey and cola in my own seat.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:WIFI. Biggest issue that needs to be addressed!!! I like to watch the twitter feed during the games for a perspective. Most nights it is very slow. last night was just plain awful.

I never get the wifi to work there. It is so bad, I don't even try anymore.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:WIFI. Biggest issue that needs to be addressed!!! I like to watch the twitter feed during the games for a perspective. Most nights it is very slow. last night was just plain awful.
When Andy Katz was at the RC he couldn't access the WIFI. That's embarrassing for the program.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

UCH21377 wrote:It was especially slow tonight for sure. Thankfully I got in line at the 4 minute timeout, and watched their late run on TV. Got back in my seat for the start of the second half
The beer area on the north side was closed for a private party. WTF! So of course the other area was jammed. So you have two places a fan can get a beer and you close one?
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Im of the opinion that the staffing and slowness issues at the Pub are by design. the Pub was added begrudgingly, its clear they don't want alcohol served in the building so they chose to make it a hassle to discourage it.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Even when the lines at the concessions are extremely short, the workers behind the counter move with zero urgency, don’t really seem to care about doing there jobs. There’s been countless times I’ve gone at media timeouts when there’s barely anyone in line and turn around to head back to my seat because the service is so awful.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Im of the opinion that the staffing and slowness issues at the Pub are by design. the Pub was added begrudgingly, its clear they don't want alcohol served in the building so they chose to make it a hassle to discourage it.
This seems pretty obvious. Almost like they prefer for people to bring their own...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
The beer area on the north side was closed for a private party. WTF! So of course the other area was jammed. So you have two places a fan can get a beer and you close one?
Brace yourselves, one of the beer areas should be closed pregame against Davidson
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines