Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Glad to see other craft beer fans on the board. Would love to see Grey Sail or Foolproof. I've sent a note to the GM of the Ryan Center. They've diversified the food offerings but they have five light lagers, and no ales.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'll do it before Bressler does.

Last edited by Billyboy78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wrong thread, Billyboy. We're doing Goodfellas on the recruiting site.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Wrong thread, Billyboy. We're doing Goodfellas on the recruiting site.
oops
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I like a wide variety of beers myself, but I wouldn't dream of criticizing the beer selection that we are starting with. This is a huge step to have beer at all. I for one will wash away the past several years with a Gansett as soon as the pub opens up.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Baby steps!
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

It is strange that the Athletics dept would send an email today: "New Ryan Center Concession Initiatives: Taste For Yourself...You Won't Be Disappointed"

and not mention the Rhody Pub in the description of the upgrades. The only way you would know is if you click the link for menus where it describes the new themed concession stands and hidden at the bottom of the last page is the beer menu.

Soft launch indeed - the timing seems strange as these emails never talk about concessions, today's topic is "we heard you" and doesn't mention the biggest change in concessions...
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

They're adding beer reluctantly and don't want to bang the drum loudly.
I have no problem criticizing the beer selection.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodygirl2 wrote:It is strange that the Athletics dept would send an email today: "New Ryan Center Concession Initiatives: Taste For Yourself...You Won't Be Disappointed"

and not mention the Rhody Pub in the description of the upgrades. The only way you would know is if you click the link for menus where it describes the new themed concession stands and hidden at the bottom of the last page is the beer menu.

Soft launch indeed - the timing seems strange as these emails never talk about concessions, today's topic is "we heard you" and doesn't mention the biggest change in concessions...
Undoubtedly by design. I think Iggy has it nailed.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:They're adding beer reluctantly and don't want to bang the drum loudly.
I have no problem criticizing the beer selection.
Agreed. It is exciting we can finally debate this though. Maybe if they don't bang the drum they figure the people who would complain will be late to the party on complaining, and they can say "we've had it for a while with no issues, this is an isolated incident" kind of thing.

The beer garden may implore people to chug beers instead of being able to bring them back to their seats, but also now we need to put cup holders on the backs of all the seats. Again, a good problem to have, but at least we're moving forward.

We might move at a glacial pace but at least we're moving!

Then again, when you think where we were when CFL finally had a forced departure, and where we are now, I will simply say: THANK YOU DAN.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Strange, since my email is all about the Rhody Pub

Rhody Pub At The Thomas M. Ryan Center

URI Athletics and the Thomas M. Ryan Center are excited to announce the opening of the Rhody Pub during all remaining men's basketball games this season.

Located on the concourse level behind the south end zone, the Rhody Pub will be open from pregame through the 16:00 minute media timeout of the second half. All fans, 21+ with a valid ID, will be able to enjoy a cash bar with a variety of beer and wine, as well as purchase game snacks.

While the Rhody Pub will be open to all patrons, donors who already qualify for access to the Alumni Lounge will receive special accommodation. Once the Rhody Pub reaches capacity, individuals with a current donor hospitality pass (Alumni Lounge pass) will be admitted prior to other guests as spots become available in the Pub. In order to receive this accommodation, the donor must present a valid proof of age and their current Alumni Lounge pass with corresponding name. Please note there will be no exception to the valid proof of age and Alumni Lounge pass identification policy.

Please note that the Alumni Lounge will remain open behind Section 212, for qualifying donors, as usual for both pregame and halftime. Alumni Lounge amenities will continue to include cash bar, complimentary snack food, and pregame "chalk talk" from a member of the coaching staff.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

They opened the Alumni Lounge and those with passes aren't going enough to really support it. so they open a pub and give this same group special privileges. So this special group has two places to go to get a drink, and if there's any empty spot the rest of us can get one.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I will take a Chardonnay, please.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can you bring beer back to your seat ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy, well they are donors providing financial support to the team for Infrastructure upgrades, charter flights, new locker rooms, new SADC, foreign trips etc, etc. Gotta give em something. Pretty soon we might be needing an added financial incentive for coaching salary if we want to keep the momentum going (both men's and women's). Fair trade off, no?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Finally! A 'Gansett before a home game.

Might be time to resurrect the Slow Break Club.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Did anybody have a beer, or try the new food yet?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

My wife and I both came from work, so we had to eat standing at the high tops. She tried the "new" pizza and thought it tasted more like cardboard, but better than the old. I tried the sausage with all the fixings, and liked it. Still pricey at $8 for the sausage, and a burger was priced at $8.5.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You can't take beer out of the pub area. More troubling to me than the beer selection was the lack of a closed circuit TV to watch the game.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:You can't take beer out of the pub area. More troubling to me than the beer selection was the lack of a closed circuit TV to watch the game.
So, you can have a beer, but can't watch the game. Good luck with that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:You can't take beer out of the pub area. More troubling to me than the beer selection was the lack of a closed circuit TV to watch the game.
So, you can have a beer, but can't watch the game. Good luck with that.
Pound rounds during timeouts!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Milan told me there was a line. so, I guess nobody cared about
missing some of the game.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can't bring a beer back to watch the game ?

What's the point in that ??!!?!!

emBARONsing

Know what you can have at your seat ...

Pocket pub and Tito's...

Looks like I'll be ordering more cokes at the next game..
0 x
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

Anyone have footage of EC's dunk last night? One of the few bright spots he had all night. Good thing we had TJ and Hass
0 x
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

I am amazed how some, not all, on this board are finding ways to complain about the beer sales, YES, I SAID IT, THEY ARE SELLING BEER IN THE RYAN CENTER. Man that felt good to finally say. So pipe down and drink up! GO RHODY!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ram12 wrote:Anyone have footage of EC's dunk last night? One of the few bright spots he had all night. Good thing we had TJ and Hass

Equally awesome was Garrett's fake and behind the back dump to Hass on the break for a huge slam.

Someone better give geritols out at these games. I was shocked that only a minority of people stood up for those plays. I saw a couple in 205 get up and leave with 58 seconds left. I hate our fanbase...can't WAIT for the students to get back.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree with the lack of emotion from our fans.
I stood for the last two plus minutes of the game,
and there weren't many around me that did.
Maybe they were defrosting from the awful cold.
I had an idea for making the exiting from the parking lots easier.
Why not make Plains Road, a one way after events?
That would funnel twice as many cars, and those going to RT1 and Wakefield, could stay in the
left lane, and those going to RT2, could go in the right lane.
I like this so much, I'm writing to Dr. Dooley to suggest it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agree Rod, that would be great for the hour following Ryan Center events.

As for Rhody Pub, this was a soft launch. Baby steps. Remember what we're trying to overcome -- decades of Demon-Rum-Be-Gone Dry Campus mindset and policy.

Agreed on the TVs. I would imagine they will be adding TVs like they have at the Concessions areas so you can watch the game.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ATPTourFan wrote:Agree Rod, that would be great for the hour following Ryan Center events.

As for Rhody Pub, this was a soft launch. Baby steps. Remember what we're trying to overcome -- decades of Demon-Rum-Be-Gone Dry Campus mindset and policy.

Agreed on the TVs. I would imagine they will be adding TVs like they have at the Concessions areas so you can watch the game.
ATP, have you warmed to selling beer, I could be wrong but I though you used to be against the idea (not that there would be anything wrong with that, just curious if something changed your mind).
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I did not partake of an adult beverage but bought myself an iced "Dunkin Donuts" coffee and my wife a hot "Dunkin Donuts" coffee. However, in no way were these up to par for DD. Tasted at least halfway watered down. We saw a huge line later in the game and told people not to waste their time, it is just coffee flavored water in DD labeled containers.

Plus with the "add it yourself" generic half and half containers (which tasted off) and sugar packets, it added up to an awful cup of coffee. My wife was brave and managed to complete the hot coffee but I could not even get down half of mine.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Agree Rod, that would be great for the hour following Ryan Center events.

ATP, have you warmed to selling beer, I could be wrong but I though you used to be against the idea (not that there would be anything wrong with that, just curious if something changed your mind).
You definitely have me mixed up with someone else. I was there before halftime to purchase my first Ryan Center beer.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote:I did not partake of an adult beverage but bought myself an iced "Dunkin Donuts" coffee and my wife a hot "Dunkin Donuts" coffee. However, in no way were these up to par for DD. Tasted at least halfway watered down. We saw a huge line later in the game and told people not to waste their time, it is just coffee flavored water in DD labeled containers.

Plus with the "add it yourself" generic half and half containers (which tasted off) and sugar packets, it added up to an awful cup of coffee. My wife was brave and managed to complete the hot coffee but I could not even get down half of mine.
smh
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

rodfromcranston wrote: Why not make Plains Road, a one way after events?
That would funnel twice as many cars, and those going to RT1 and Wakefield, could stay in the
left lane, and those going to RT2, could go in the right lane.
I like this so much, I'm writing to Dr. Dooley to suggest it.
From sources I've heard it's something the Ryan Center has looked at already and could do in the near future.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That makes a lot of sense, to me. It's only something that
would be done for an hour or so after any event.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:While the Rhody Pub will be open to all patrons, donors who already qualify for access to the Alumni Lounge will receive special accommodation. Once the Rhody Pub reaches capacity, individuals with a current donor hospitality pass (Alumni Lounge pass) will be admitted prior to other guests as spots become available in the Pub. In order to receive this accommodation, the donor must present a valid proof of age and their current Alumni Lounge pass with corresponding name. Please note there will be no exception to the valid proof of age and Alumni Lounge pass identification policy.

Please note that the Alumni Lounge will remain open behind Section 212, for qualifying donors, as usual for both pregame and halftime. Alumni Lounge amenities will continue to include cash bar, complimentary snack food, and pregame "chalk talk" from a member of the coaching staff.
Does anyone know why they wouldn't just keep the Alumni Lounge open during the first half instead of having those people move over to the Pub? Is it a staffing issue? A licensing issue? It seems there would be more revenue, a better customer experience and for the donors the exclusivity they crave to keep the Lounge open under the same time the Pub is open. Having it only open pregame and at the half seems odd.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:As for Rhody Pub, this was a soft launch. Baby steps. Remember what we're trying to overcome -- decades of Demon-Rum-Be-Gone Dry Campus mindset and policy.

One thing that was brought up in this thread was the lack of the 1999 A10 Championship banner. We still don't have that as far as I could tell. I could have sworn that for a time the Carothers banner was no longer hanging, but that's back up now. Just seeing that Carothers banner makes me want to vomit.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed on the Carothers banner. Aren't there any other honors more befitting an 18yr university president that won't clutter up our banners??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

His name is already attached to the library.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If Carothers didn't second guess himself after Harrick left,
we never would have had Jerry D, which meant we wouldn't have had CFL
and his insane extension.
All of which would have not lead to 15 years of being irrelevant.
Carothers started out fine, and turtled from there.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:Foolproof is great. Starting to be able to find it near Boston now. Southern New England is getting better and better. Mass has a few great micros, and Two Roads out of Connecticut is terrific also.
Trillium (Boston) and Bog Iron (Norton, MA) are both excellent!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know some are superstitious as to who starts a game thread. Why no Duquesne thread yet?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:If Carothers didn't second guess himself after Harrick left,
we never would have had Jerry D, which meant we wouldn't have had CFL
and his insane extension.
All of which would have not lead to 15 years of being irrelevant.
Carothers started out fine, and turtled from there.
His treatment of the basketball program is a microcosm of his Presidency as a whole. When he first took over he was ambitious and made several positive changes and that caused him to butt heads with the Board of Governors frequently, to the point where in the fall of 1998 or 99 they weren't going to renew his contract. This caused students to rally in support of him because they didn't want to lose him, and the Board of Governors obviously did reauthorized his contract. That fight for the contract however caused him to turtle and he never really fought the same after. He achieved what he could without butting heads with anyone. The extent of his fighting with the Board of Governors and the state were passive aggressive comments about how he couldn't get things done with the shackles placed on the university by the state. He never really fought the powers that be to improve conditions though because that might have caused him to lose his position, pension, and cushy President Emeritus position. Perhaps if he fought harder the cuts URI has faced might not have been so drastic.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

The bar area where the RC employees are serving the adult beverages from is a bit small, so this obviously will limit the selections of beers/wines available.
There obviously aren't any taps/kegs, so everything is poured into a cup.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 has a correct picture of a significant happening at URI that did affect the entire school including Athletics. While Carothers may have butted heads with the Board of Governors (BOG) in the past, the event that caused the biggest problem occurred in 1999 and was over the Y2K flap. URI had done an excellent job in preparing for the Y2K change over, but RIC had not. RIC was in a dire situation and the only route out was to bring in a consultant in a hurry. This was an expensive proposition and to fund it, the BOG, took $1.5 million from URI. Carothers blew his stack and the head of the BOG, Sally Dowling, a la de dah and a phony if there ever was one, then tried to get Carothers fired. Dowling's intent backfired as the students, faculty and alumni rallied to Carothers side. Unfortunately, Carothers won the battle, but lost the war because for the rest of his presidency he was emasculated in his approach to the BOG and requests for increased funding. When Dowling stepped down, she handed the reins to her good friend, Frank Caprio. Barf. So her influence continued for a few more years. But all that is history and the good news is the new president, David Dooley, has got URI on a new track.

IMHO, there will be a new day at URI when we get rid of the BOG and URI, like other public institutions, gets its own Board of Trustees, with no political hacks and appointees and where the prime criterion in getting appointed is that you love URI.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:RhowdyRam02 has a correct picture of a significant happening at URI that did affect the entire school including Athletics. While Carothers may have butted heads with the Board of Governors (BOG) in the past, the event that caused the biggest problem occurred in 1999 and was over the Y2K flap. URI had done an excellent job in preparing for the Y2K change over, but RIC had not. RIC was in a dire situation and the only route out was to bring in a consultant in a hurry. This was an expensive proposition and to fund it, the BOG, took $1.5 million from URI. Carothers blew his stack and the head of the BOG, Sally Dowling, a la de dah and a phony if there ever was one, then tried to get Carothers fired. Dowling's intent backfired as the students, faculty and alumni rallied to Carothers side. Unfortunately, Carothers won the battle, but lost the war because for the rest of his presidency he was emasculated in his approach to the BOG and requests for increased funding. When Dowling stepped down, she handed the reins to her good friend, Frank Caprio. Barf. So her influence continued for a few more years. But all that is history and the good news is the new president, David Dooley, has got URI on a new track.

IMHO, there will be a new day at URI when we get rid of the BOG and URI, like other public institutions, gets its own Board of Trustees, with no political hacks and appointees and where the prime criterion in getting appointed is that you love URI.
Obes, lets start the petition now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That would truly be an awesome day if it ever happens.

I doubt I'll be around long enough to see it, but as long as it happens, it's all good.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That's how URI used to be governed before the '70s, when the Board of Governors was first instituted.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Even trustees can be political hacks…..They're everywhere…...Don't be naive.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Laughed last night when I went into the Pub area for the first time and saw a "Gray Scale" Flagship Ale available. I could figure out they were talking about the Grey Sail Flagship beer brewed in Westerly. At least there is a local option now.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Gray Scale? Is that like Moland Spring?
0 x