Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by section(105) »

......South Concourse addition......a total relocation of the trophies, awards, photos, etc that document the rich history of URI basketball......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I absolutely agree with the metal scanners, but Parking and leaving is going to be an absolute nightmare.

Will we still be able to enter through the South Lobby?

What if some people don't know these new rules and still park in Keaney lot? Will they get towed? Ticketed? Nothing?

Didn't really give too much info on those questions.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We can still enter in the South lobby it sounds like. It's just who wants to walk around the perimeter to enter the building? That's why the students should enter in that lobby now, most dorms it's an easier walk to the South lobby then North.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ramulous wrote:In this day and age I am willing to accept extreme vetting at the turnstiles.....you'll get no complaints from me....

I am with you 100% Ramulous, but in my experience with the Buffalo game I do not foresee this to be a smooth and quick process; especially parents who are bringing younger children, etc. They better have at least 20 people doing the wands at each entrance if you want to get people in quickly. I foresee a lot of people taking their seats after tip-off.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Would guess those other lots will have suhccurritty....because it'll be more important to keep people out than directing traffic and keeping it moving?

Living close by with a flexible work schedule, getting there is not a problem. Worst case scenario is, get there too early and have to choke down two crappy beers instead of one. Leaving is always a nightmare, attendance doesn't even matter. Thank goodness they have a cop at the intersection of Plains and 30 Acre Pond Road to guard the turf farm (instead of directing traffic...wouldn't want anyone bopping over there and stealing frozen turf)

Maybe folks should plan for post game tailgate - listening to Don and Steve - to wait it out...something like... "everyone just park by Row #..." oh wait...never mind....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote:
Ramulous wrote:In this day and age I am willing to accept extreme vetting at the turnstiles.....you'll get no complaints from me....

I am with you 100% Ramulous, but in my experience with the Buffalo game I do not foresee this to be a smooth and quick process; especially parents who are bringing younger children, etc. They better have at least 20 people doing the wands at each entrance if you want to get people in quickly. I foresee a lot of people taking their seats after tip-off.
It's going to look like a Los Angeles crowd for our biggest games
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Anyone have any idea how many cars fit in the Plains Rd. lot?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

it would be great if they had beer from Whalers Brewing there, since its in town
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Here is a link to the new parking/traffic pattern. This is going to be worse than I thought.

http://static.psbin.com/8/j/83lnxqawtt6 ... _11x17.pdf
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

The security at the entrance is going to be the absolute worst. Getting through the turnstiles at a well attended game was already a problem.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Right, especially on a cold day where people are mingling right inside the doors when I just want to get through and get my ticket scanned and be in my seat.

I am glad they will be closing the southern end of Plains Rd. This will allow traffic to just continuously flow, with the help of police, up Flagg Rd or left down the winding scary road. The biggest waste of time are when people stop, because there's a stop sign, even when there is literally nobody else to yield to due to temporary road closure.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ram1980 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the new security measures and parking situation is going to be a nightmare??. Usually park in the boss arena lot and that's tough enough to get out off.. How fun is it for most of us to get out of the plains lot? Also, I get the wands, but we have trouble moving lines at games as it is.. Sorry don't believe they will be properly prepared.. Could affect attendance down the road
I typical park at the Boss lot too. Is that no longer an option for games?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

if they want these security measures they will need to expand the interior entrance

its not like they don't have the space
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's going to be fun standing outside on cold rainy nights trying to get in.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Thx for traffic map......IF the Keaney lot is NOT going to open for general public RC events(basketball games) what a freakin nightmare that will be with cars still going into Keaney Lot for hockey, swim, volleyball, track, recreation etc.....do they plan on having Police detail to sort through that?.....signage along art 138?......DOT folks shoulda redesigned the existing Keaney Lot entrance when resurfacing 138 was done.....that has been the same since like 1950’s......good grief Charlie Brown.....piss pour planning proceeds poor performance......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Here is a link to the new parking/traffic pattern. This is going to be worse than I thought.

Does this mean that Upper College Rd. is the only way off campus for those of us going down 138 ? I always take shortcuts on Butterfield and take Lower College Rd.(no light, just have to find someone nice enough to let you get on 138) to get off, because it takes forever to get off campus on Upper College. Will those shortcuts now be blocked off? If so, we better bring sleeping bags, because we're going to be there all night.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Here is a link to the new parking/traffic pattern. This is going to be worse than I thought.

Does this mean that Upper College Rd. is the only way off campus for those of us going down 138 ? I always take shortcuts on Butterfield and take Lower College Rd.(no light, just have to find someone nice enough to let you get on 138) to get off, because it takes forever to get off campus on Upper College. Will those shortcuts now be blocked off? If so, we better bring sleeping bags, because we're going to be there all night.
There are so many good batcave ways onto and off of campus. I will never share publicly because the less people on my roads the better, but PM me for ideas.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

There are so many good batcave ways onto and off of campus. I will never share publicly because the less people on my roads the better, but PM me for ideas.
I was gunna say... finding a new sneaky way in or a new hidden parking spot is half the fun
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, tell the girls to foul a lot so I can get there on time.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per the email sent out by URI regarding the new security precautions:

University of Rhode Island Athletics and the Ryan Center asks patrons to arrive early as enhanced security measures, parking PROCEDURES are implemented for 2017-2018 basketball season

Providing a safe, engaging and fun environment for all fans is a top priority for the University of Rhode Island and Spectra by Comcast Spectacor, operators of the Thomas M. Ryan Center. For the 2017-18 season, we will enhance our preventive security measures for the safety of all guests, teams, and staff and introduce new parking arrangements that align with the new Kingston campus parking initiatives.

“The safety of every person who enters the Ryan Center is always priority number one. Providing security measures in our arena is a topic we regularly discuss and review with the University of Rhode Island Police Department and Athletic Department. We ask our patrons to plan accordingly to avoid traffic and long lines as we roll out these new procedures. We appreciate your patience as we continue to improve our security measures for the safe and enjoyable experience for everyone” said General Manager, Leah Becki.

The new security measures will include screenings with metal detecting wands at every arena entrance. To accommodate this new measure, patrons are asked to arrive early to all events at the Ryan Center so that they have ample time to enter. Due to the limited lobby spacing inside the Ryan Center, it was determined that metal detection wanding was the most efficient security measure. Metal detection is becoming a standard in the industry, occurring at many collegiate and professional arenas and stadiums, including the Mullins Center at the University of Massachusetts and Chaifetz Arena at Saint Louis University, both also members of the Atlantic 10 Conference. The metal detecting wands, previously utilized at numerous Ryan Center events, are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, will have no adverse effects on medical implants, pregnancy, recording media or magnetic strips. In addition, we would like to reiterate that the bag policy for the Ryan Center has not changed for the 2017-18 season.

“The safety and well-being of our student-athletes and fans are of utmost importance to us, in today's environment we believe this new procedure is an important requirement for these purposes. Be sure to arrive early to be in your seat before tip-off said Director of Athletics, Thorr Bjorn.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early, especially for events such as concerts and URI men’s basketball games. We ask that fans remove outerwear and accessories such as cell phones and unzip jackets as they approach the entrance. Fans can continue to wear hats, belts, shoes, and jewelry as they are scanned with the metal detecting wands, but are encouraged to remove all items from pockets and hold them in their hands as they are scanned. All fans are asked to leave prohibited items such as knives, any weapons, alcohol and selfie sticks at home. In addition, to avoid long lines patrons are encouraged to use all available entrances. For a full list of prohibited items please go to http://www.theryancenter.com//a-z-guides or http://www.gorhody.com.

“Working with Spectra by Comcast Spectacor and looking at the overall scope of security measures across the country, we know this security enhancement is important and a necessary preventive measure. Still don’t forget, If you See Something, Say Something,” said Steve Baker, director of Public Safety for the University of Rhode Island.

In addition to enhanced security measures, there will be new parking procedures in place this season. These new parking arrangements are consistent with the new parking initiative the University rolled out this year. All general event public parking for the Ryan Center will be located at the Plains Road Lot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Let's move these lines quickly. Be ready with jacket open and pockets emptied. Saving 30 seconds or so on each person is a lot when you're talking about 6000 people to scan.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

But how many people are NOT going to read that email and bring their selfie sticks and Smirnoff nips.
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

0 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The security measures are common for sporting events in large arenas. This is consistent with all of the venues for NE pro teams - Pats,Celtics, Bruins & Sox. Have it at Mohegan. Also consistent with A10 Championship and last year’s NCAA in SacTown. Sign of the times.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RFORTE wrote:Not sure if this has been posted yet.

My guess is a case with the A10 Championship trophy.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just got this email from Ryan Center / Athletics stating the Keaney Lot IS available, but obviously limited.

Also, the South Entrance to the Ryan Center is open as always.

Previous communications made me believe that the Keaney Lot was off limits unless patrons had a special pass for that zone.

As always Public Parking is FREE to all ticket holders. The main parking (recommended) lot is the Plains Road Lot which is located directly across the street from the Ryan Center Main Entrance and Main Box Office. Additional parking is available on the South Side (Keaney side) of the Ryan Center, however it is more limited.

Both the North Main Entrance located off West Alumni Avenue and the South Entrance located off Keaney Road are open for patrons.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I may start parking on that side then. For sure the security line should be shorter.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I always figured that was the case.. they just wanted to get more people parking in Plains vs Keaney even though they wont actually do anything to prevent it
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RFORTE wrote:Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Anyone know what this was? I didn't see anything about it on social media...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It was a really nice display featuring both A10 championship trophies and all the individual awards players have earned under Hurley
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I was impressed. Love the wall graphics too.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We got there really early (620ish) and no issue/lines/delays at all getting through the wand-ing...curious if anyone arriving later had a different experience? Also saw pocket pub evidence in the arena, so looks like no rule changes there....
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:We got there really early (620ish) and no issue/lines/delays at all getting through the wand-ing...curious if anyone arriving later had a different experience? Also saw pocket pub evidence in the arena, so looks like no rule changes there....
Same. Got there about 6:45 and saw no difference from last year.

Still got right to the back of the lot and parked at the exit, no traffic issues getting in. The wands added 30 seconds at most to entering and got out of the lot in 5 min
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:We got there really early (620ish) and no issue/lines/delays at all getting through the wand-ing...curious if anyone arriving later had a different experience? Also saw pocket pub evidence in the arena, so looks like no rule changes there....
Same. Got there about 6:45 and saw no difference from last year.

Still got right to the back of the lot and parked at the exit, no traffic issues getting in. The wands added 30 seconds at most to entering and got out of the lot in 5 min
Followed similar parking strategy...parked out by one of the Plains Rd exits...was a a substantial walk, but basically drove right out afterwards.
Even as old and creaky as I am, I think I'd rather walk 10 minutes and drive right out, than sit in traffic...in a parking lot...

Encouraging, given there was >6K attendance...although am guessing that having the girls game first made for a less-concentrated arrival pattern.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah I'm not sure how much you can take from last night. Students made up a huge chunk of the crowd, a lot of early arrivals and a lot of people leaving early because of the blowout. Although that's kind of the perfect scenario for them to iron out kinks in the new plan
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Yeah I'm not sure how much you can take from last night. Students made up a huge chunk of the crowd, a lot of early arrivals and a lot of people leaving early because of the blowout. Although that's kind of the perfect scenario for them to iron out kinks in the new plan
Exactly. I stayed until the final buzzer. When I got to my car, the lot was more than half empty. That's not going to happen often.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

off topic for the current discussion but this fits here: Am I the only one who felt that the athletic department missed a GIANT opportunity, not so much celebrating the banners, but by not doing some type of give away? Asheville is projected to win their conference (yes I realize that's sort of unbelievable after last night), but the turnout is what I expected. What happens when the "casual" fan thinks that wins are now a nobrainer and don't come back? I try not to compare ourselves to PC, but even they did a mini towel giveaway for the first so many fans. Are we seriously hurting on commitments from sponsoring companies that we couldn't do a giveaway on opening night with a logo to celebrate last year or something on it slogan wise to build hype "The hunted are still the Hunters!" with a #GoRhody

I can't help but think we're missing so many opportunities to build the Rhody brand and the Athletic Dept just thinks the same ole same ole is going to grow the donations or fanbase... We need the casual fan so that "Friartown" doesn't just continue to grow and people stop thinking of our program as the flavor of the month when we're up and not caring when things take a dip, like they have in the past...

Sorry for the dissertation lol
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC only had 1500 or so fans at Alumni Hall, where did they make the cut off for free stuff?

In the post game DH talked about the marketing stuff and the crowd. He said they have to be focused on winning games and that is what will keep people coming back. Personally I’m ok to pull back on shooting or throwing T-shirts and stuff into the crowd. Make it about basketball, keep the players focused on the specific game and not the potentially distractive fan events, that’s just me.

We keep driving this the way DH is and we could end up with a sold out arena just like VCU does for every game.

The winning has staying power, the fun stuff is ok, but you can hear the seriousness in DH’s words and actions - this is a new season with new goals. I’ve never seen him so determined as this year
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI gave season ticket holders banner flags with their ticket mailing. Last night they gave away free posters and magnets. In addition, if you donated just one canned good yesterday, you got a free ticket to a future game (Iona or LaSalle).
2 x
Bee311
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Bee311 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:it would be great if they had beer from Whalers Brewing there, since its in town
Not sure about the pub but they had Whalers in the Alumni Lounge :)
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NorthernRamFan wrote:off topic for the current discussion but this fits here: Am I the only one who felt that the athletic department missed a GIANT opportunity, not so much celebrating the banners, but by not doing some type of give away? Asheville is projected to win their conference (yes I realize that's sort of unbelievable after last night), but the turnout is what I expected. What happens when the "casual" fan thinks that wins are now a nobrainer and don't come back? I try not to compare ourselves to PC, but even they did a mini towel giveaway for the first so many fans. Are we seriously hurting on commitments from sponsoring companies that we couldn't do a giveaway on opening night with a logo to celebrate last year or something on it slogan wise to build hype "The hunted are still the Hunters!" with a #GoRhody

I can't help but think we're missing so many opportunities to build the Rhody brand and the Athletic Dept just thinks the same ole same ole is going to grow the donations or fanbase... We need the casual fan so that "Friartown" doesn't just continue to grow and people stop thinking of our program as the flavor of the month when we're up and not caring when things take a dip, like they have in the past...

Sorry for the dissertation lol
Agree with you Northern. Some nice enhancements ie trophy case, but not enough marketing coming off our first tourney and likelihood of a 2nd trip. Missed opportunity to win over more hearts and minds
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bee311 wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:it would be great if they had beer from Whalers Brewing there, since its in town
Thrilled The RISE is in the Lounge for $5 and no line. There's a perk.

But I asked if it was also in the Pubs, and the server told me the Lounge is run by URI Catering Services, separate from general Ryan Center concessions.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Bee311 wrote:
Thrilled The RISE is in the Lounge for $5 and no line. There's a perk.

But I asked if it was also in the Pubs, and the server told me the Lounge is run by URI Catering Services, separate from general Ryan Center concessions.
I didn't see it in the pub on Friday night. The pub's selection wasn't too bad. Although, the credit card processor took an absurd amount of time.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

@ATP, I haven’t been to the Ryan Center in a few years, but do you need some kind of pass or ticket to get in there? Or is it open to gen public?

Thanks
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There are two general access 21plus “pubs” in the North and south concourses.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Sorry i was referring to the alumni lounge? Any pass to get in there?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

wpbrown8267 wrote:Sorry i was referring to the alumni lounge? Any pass to get in there?
.....well yes, the gate keeper there does a minimal check of badges that are issued to the donors that get access to the Alumni Lounge.......my experience the better time is in the Rhody Pubs.....the food in the Lounge is usually sub par.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

This is what I’m talking about... I hope 3 years from now when we’re working on our 5th straight NCAAT that our department does this type of stuff... it gets the casual fan to show up early and leads to them being loyal and there often...
3BAE8C7D-3ACC-4689-96FA-310AE4A27376.jpeg
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:This is what I’m talking about... I hope 3 years from now when we’re working on our 5th straight NCAAT that our department does this type of stuff... it gets the casual fan to show up early and leads to them being loyal and there often...3BAE8C7D-3ACC-4689-96FA-310AE4A27376.jpeg

URI sent out a similar email prior to the UNCA game about their canned good drive. Any fan that brought a canned good Friday night could get a voucher for a free ticket to a future game (Iona or LaSalle).
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The beer lounge had a line before the end of the first half, it’s like Kingston is located in Ireland.
1 x
GO RAMS