Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by TruePoint »

Maybe they were using Dragon talk-to-type software to make the sign? Haha
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Had to stop by the Pub while at the game last night. Got to the game about 15 minutes, so wanted to give it a try. Certainly need TVs in there so you can see the game, because without them you can't see shit unless from that first row. Thought it was pretty busy there. We quickly had our beers & headed off to our seats. Glad to see this a part of the Ryan Center. Certainly should bring in some money. Hopefully some of that goes to the Athletic Department.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think it is working out well so far. Only problem other than TV's is that there isn't enough room for all the people trying to get in. Huge amount of people couldn't get in last night. They should push to add another area on the other side of the arena.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Why not take the other open end and duplicate it?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It looked like they had the other end blocked off for a private party. It seems the obvious solution would be to keep the Alumni Lounge open for alcohol sales during the game as well as having the Rhody Pub. My understanding is it's only open pregame and halftime, which seems nonsensical on a few levels.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This ran in the news section this week, and I don't think we're going to run it online, so, posting for you out of state folks who don't have access to The Independent.

The taps are open at URI basketball games

By Stephanie Turaj
Staff Writer

SOUTH KINGSTOWN — Beer and wine are being served during the University of Rhode Island men’s basketball games at the Thomas M. Ryan Center in Kingston.

Beer and wine are available in the Rhody Pub, a sectioned-off area of the Ryan Center’s South Concourse. The service began last week at the University of Rhode Island vs. Fordham University game.

The Ryan Center is owned by the University of Rhode Island and the 7,800-seat facility is home to the Men’s and Women’s Basketball programs, and hosts university-sponsored concerts and events, as well as those for the general public. The center is managed by Global Spectrum, a private venue management company.

Since joining URI in 2009, President David M. Dooley has allowed for a campus-wide review of alcohol policies, a departure from his predecessor, Robert L. Carothers, who banned alcohol at university functions. Since 2009, URI has allowed the sale of alcohol in specific, regulated areas at football games, and allowed it in the luxury suites and alumni room at the Ryan Center.

Global Spectrum officials said adding beer and wine sales to men’s basketball games is among recent “fan experience” improvements, which included installing LED scoreboards and updating concessions.

“After careful research of other [Atlantic 10] schools, competitors in our market including Providence College and other universities across the nation, Global Spectrum, along with URI Athletics and university administration, determined the next step in enhancing our fans’ experience was to offer beer and wine sales to the general public in a controlled, sectioned-off area of the South Concourse,” Ryan Center General Manager Leah Becki said in a statement.

Liquor sales in Rhody Pub begin when doors open (one hour prior to tip-off) and close five game minutes into the second half of the game. Patrons must be 21 or older to enter the pub and receive a wristband upon entry. Seats in the area are limited to approximately 100 spots, so those who leave the pub are not guaranteed re-entry, officials said. This area was chosen because of its distance from the student section, officials said.

Matt Moeller, director of marketing, said the Rhody Pub has been used in the past for concerts, and liquor service is determined on an “event-by-event” basis.

“While our men’s basketball game versus Fordham marked the first men’s basketball game we have served beer and wine to the general public, Global Spectrum management staff at the Ryan Center has successfully implemented beer and wine sales to the general public at nine previous Ryan Center events over the past two years with zero alcohol related arrests and zero hospital transports during those events,” Becki said in a statement.

sk@scindependent.com
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This area was chosen because of its distance from the student section, officials said.
Huh? If it's a blocked off area and IDs are checked, what the heck does that have to do with the student section?

A 21 year old student can leave the student section and legally buy and consume a beer in the Rhody Pub and then go back to the student section with a tummy full of beer.

Secondly, the students also sit immediately in front of the Rhody Pub in the South end zone as well.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

in the 100s though not the 200s, in the north end zone there are students in 214, 200 and 201. thye must feel that it being on the opposite side of the arena less students will go and get a beer
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Has there been any announcement on which game will be blue out and pink out?? Students always show up for those games and would assume that GW, Umass, and Davidson would be good options?
0 x
Clapton is God
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Davidson will be the pink out.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:in the 100s though not the 200s, in the north end zone there are students in 214, 200 and 201. thye must feel that it being on the opposite side of the arena less students will go and get a beer
Yeah, but this is still pretty dumb. If a student is 21 they can get a beer. The price will probably dissuade most students anyway.

I just thought it was a line that didn't need to be in the article. They didn't actually chose that side because it was away from the primary North student section -- they selected it because that's where there was enough space to stage the Pub without causing concourse congestion.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It's also just kind of funny to think that a walk across the arena (if that was even the case) is going to stop a kid from getting a beer if he wants one. We were quite creative and worked much harder than that to get a beer when we wanted one as students.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

adam914 wrote:We were quite creative and worked much harder than that to get a beer when we wanted one as students.
You mean like climbing onto the roof at Keaney, and climbing into the (already cracked open) vent windows at the top of the arena, with a 50/50 mix of rum and Pepsi 16oz plastic bottle in the waistband?

I (cough) had a friend that did that once (cough) or twice... :mrgreen:
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Awesome...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure what they are getting per beer, but how many college are even paying that when they have the option of sneaking in traditional college booze, like Popov or Burnetts?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

$6.50 is the cheapest beer.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RI_Bred wrote:
adam914 wrote:We were quite creative and worked much harder than that to get a beer when we wanted one as students.
You mean like climbing onto the roof at Keaney, and climbing into the (already cracked open) vent windows at the top of the arena, with a 50/50 mix of rum and Pepsi 16oz plastic bottle in the waistband?

I (cough) had a friend that did that once (cough) or twice... :mrgreen:
Ha ha ;)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

As I did for the Nebraska game.. I brought in the "pocket pub" filled w Tito's.

I am not an alchy (1st stage: denial.. LOL).. But I do appreciate a beverage to calm my nerves while watching a game..

I walked by the Rhoda pub.. While I am appreciative of the option.. It seemed like 2 much work 4 me

There was a line.. The attendants were slow..

I mean.. I just want to walk up to a station; grab a beer; then get back 2 my seat

Again tho.. I am appreciative and some beer is better than no beers

At halftime I did try for a dunkin donuts.. Waited in line of 40 deep for 2 mins before I bailed

What a nightmare
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not sure what they are getting per beer, but how many college are even paying that when they have the option of sneaking in traditional college booze, like Popov or Burnetts?
Yeah good point, I would be willing to bet that in 2002 I could have gotten me and 3 friends drunk for $6.50.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

adam914 wrote:Yeah good point, I would be willing to bet that in 2002 I could have gotten me and 3 friends drunk for $6.50.
That's because you're a lightweight. :P
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Or just really efficient. You can buy a decent amount of grain for $2.17 per head.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Or just really efficient. You can buy a decent amount of grain for $2.17 per head.
As usual, TP gets it!
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

steviep123 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Foolproof is great. Starting to be able to find it near Boston now. Southern New England is getting better and better. Mass has a few great micros, and Two Roads out of Connecticut is terrific also.
Trillium (Boston) and Bog Iron (Norton, MA) are both excellent!
Trillium is excellent. Foolproof has some great beers but some that are only meh. There is also Proclamation Ale Co. about one mile from the Ryan Center which makes RI's best beer.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I'm by no means a beer fan (if I drink it-- it's probably Bud Light, Miller Lite or a Stella) and that's okay since I'm a girl. However, I've been to Whaler's Brewery which located in the mill complex in Peace Dale. They've been getting really good reviews, too. I talked to the guy who opened it with his friend, and at least one of them graduated from URI only a few years ago.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Half of Whaler's stuff is good. They're trying to find out what their best stuff is while still experimenting.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Enjoyed hearing ray charles sunday.
Was that the first time the band played it?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets bat signal:

Can we get the PA guy to play "Josie" tomorrow for all the Pats fans that will be in the building? The students will know what to do.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Another note to EZ: what's the sense of having the gun shoot stuff into the 100 sections. Even you can throw something that far. I don't need a shirt or a ball but there's little kids in the 300s who would love to get one and have no chance.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Another note to EZ: what's the sense of having the gun shoot stuff into the 100 sections. Even you can throw something that far. I don't need a shirt or a ball but there's little kids in the 300s who would love to get one and have no chance.

As mentioned before, for safety reasons, they can't shoot the gun up into the 300's.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Iggy1979 wrote:Another note to EZ: what's the sense of having the gun shoot stuff into the 100 sections. Even you can throw something that far. I don't need a shirt or a ball but there's little kids in the 300s who would love to get one and have no chance.
I believe EZ mentioned before that it's a safety issue. Dont want anyone falling over the railings trying to catch a tshirt. Should find another way to get them some swag.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

They send ramettes and cheerleaders up to 300s with shirts and balls
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm having a brain fart. What's the name of the song they play right before the URI player introductions?
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm having a brain fart. What's the name of the song they play right before the URI player introductions?
"Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes
0 x
Go Rhody!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ATPTourFan wrote:They send ramettes and cheerleaders up to 300s with shirts and balls
When they do come up, which is not that often, it's usually one person with one t-shirt who stands in the aisle between two sections. Good luck with a kid walking out with something. Also the parachutes don't reach the 300's either. On the other hand, there aren't many kids in my section.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

How about for a change our crowd cheers for dunks, defensive stops and made baskets as much as they do for a freakin promo tee with a bag tied to it.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Agree with that, but there are kids that do get excited for these things as well. Look at the excitement in the student sections. They are just bigger kids.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's also younger adults getting into the aisles and trying to catch
whatever is being thrown.
Yes, make that kind of commotion when the team is playing..
Go on EBay and someone has the nerve to try to sell one of those
tee shirts.
Amazing!
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

TruePoint wrote:EZBuckets bat signal:

Can we get the PA guy to play "Josie" tomorrow for all the Pats fans that will be in the building? The students will know what to do.
Fantastic idea. Will do my best to get it loaded in for today.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Everyone did a solid job echoing my previous explanations...can't shoot or throw anything into 300's from the court so we are limited to 100's & 200's.

Ramettes or Cheerleaders should be in the 300's for minute of mayhem to get some kids some stuff. I will make sure it happens today.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote:

I think the actual name of the song is Your Love by The Outfield.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Great song!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
EZBuckets wrote:

I think the actual name of the song is Your Love by The Outfield.
I always hear Raspberries or a bit of Badfinger in that song, maybe even a little Rick Springfield...
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Love Badfinger. Did you know half the group committed suicide?
Paul McCartney got them into Apple Records and helped with their
recordings.
Raspberries were good too. Eric Carmen was their lead singer.
Oddly, the Outfield were from England. Is there an outfield in cricket?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Love Badfinger. Did you know half the group committed suicide?
recordings.
And I'm pretty sure George Harrison produced some of their stuff. (Badfinger)
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:Love Badfinger. Did you know half the group committed suicide?
recordings.
Yes, there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere in there Brian Kenny is over-analyzing the Sabremetrics of the "Willie Mays Catch" in Highlight #2!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb4vo_f ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF STICKY WICKETS LLC
0 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I think "straight up" was produced by Todd Rundgren actually.

Baby Blue was used in the departed movie as I recall. Day after day, Baby Blue, Come and get it, No Matter What = classics. Lots of kicking guitar!!

I will pass on Cleveland's greatest rock band discussion for now.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Waaaay off topic but for any of you other guitar players out there there is a killer YouTube video out there where a guy covers the entire Pete Ham bit from Baby Blue on a vintage Les Paul sunburst. If you are into guitar it will give you goosebumps

No time to find it now getting ready to go 15-5!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:I think "straight up" was produced by Todd Rundgren actually.

Baby Blue was used in the departed movie as I recall. Day after day, Baby Blue, Come and get it, No Matter What = classics. Lots of kicking guitar!!

I will pass on Cleveland's greatest rock band discussion for now.
Nilsson's "Without You" is also an original Badfinger song.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When EZ was yelling at the fans in the north endzone, he was pissed, seriously pissed. A bunch of the students were in shock. Many of them popped him the bird when he turned his back. But 10 minutes later, every one of them were on their feet screaming. I was in section 112, so I had a great view of this exchange. Great job by EZ.
0 x