Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is, the students were expecting us to lose, with our recent history.

Coming back to win against a good team, has to be a great start toward changing that perception.

Like Dan said, the culture is finally changing. The results are starting to show.

Should really help our student attendance, and their enthusiasm level going forward.

We keep on winning, and Dan won't have much to complain about, when it comes to the fan base.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It still didnt sound loud. We have to move the students to a better location for next season and maximize the home court advantage.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

EZ does a great job. We went to the PC game and their guy pales in comparison.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Problem with moving the students to where they belong is,
some swells might get upset on losing their seats and not
make contributions.
The students belong on the lower level behind the VISITOR'S bench.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is, Dan will push for the students to be relocated closer to the action.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It may be beyond Dan's pay grade for that one.
He's not Coach K or Calipari or Pitino.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:When EZ was yelling at the fans in the north endzone, he was pissed, seriously pissed that bunch of the students were in shock. Many of them popped him the bird when he turned his back. But 10 minutes later, every one of them were on their feet screaming. I was in section 112, so I had a great view of this exchange. Great job by EZ.
If EZ is pissing off the home fans to the point they're flipping him off than he's doing a terrible job. Cheering ten minutes later doesn't let EZ off the hook.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That's B.S. EZ had it right; the energy level of the crowd was down at that point and he needed to pump it up. If a couple of a-holes didn't like it, that's just too bad.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

EZ - thanks for getting Josie on! The timing was rough and the crowd was a little shell-shocked, so they didn't respond how I'd hoped. But it got me jacked up.

As far as getting on the students a little bit, that was the right move. Our students are like our team - haven't really been good before and need to be coached up in what to do in close games when it's winning time. They were great down the stretch after EZ's coaching tactics.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

EZ did a great job, and the fact that he had to exhort the students at that point just shows how lacking in spontaneity the URI students are. Getting on their feet and making the place loud should have happened automatically because you are into the game not filing your nails or setting up dates on your cell phone. Wasting a good game on the Greeks is a bad idea. These are not the Greeks of old.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Wow just got home, really didn't expect to see EZ in so many posts.

First off, thanks to everyone for the kind words. I give everything I have out there and glad it's appreciated.

As far as criticizing the fans. I called out the large contingent of Greeks that were literally sitting on their phones being glorified seat fillers for most of the game. I did what I had to do and got them riled up. I got booed and then they all responded by getting loud & giving us that edge when we needed it.

What's the line from Dodgeball?

"It's a risky move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off."

As far as I'm concerned- It did.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice work EZ. If thats what it takes then so be it!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote:Wasting a good game on the Greeks is a bad idea. These are not the Greeks of old.
While in general I agree, would they just have been empty seats otherwise?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Kudos for the pep band playing the
Game of Thrones theme.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

EZBuckets wrote:Wow just got home, really didn't expect to see EZ in so many posts.

First off, thanks to everyone for the kind words. I give everything I have out there and glad it's appreciated.

As far as criticizing the fans. I called out the large contingent of Greeks that were literally sitting on their phones being glorified seat fillers for most of the game. I did what I had to do and got them riled up. I got booed and then they all responded by getting loud & giving us that edge when we needed it.

I was sitting up in the 300 level in a section otherwise full of Greeks (Never seen so many of them at a game before, did they give out free tickets at the frat party's or something?). Until the Final two minutes none of them seemed to have the slightest interest in the basketball game and focused on their phones the whole time. Literally about 90% of them arrived late.

Overall i agree the energy level was down, especially compared to the last game i went to VS VCU.

I do some business in Syracuse and went to my yearly game at the carrier dome recently. it's interesting in the they don't have any NBA style introductions, or much other entertainment/distractions. But I guess if your not a national powerhouse that draws 20k+ a game it's unavoidable nowadays.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Obadiah wrote:Wasting a good game on the Greeks is a bad idea. These are not the Greeks of old.
THESE ARE NOT THE GREEKS OF YESTERYEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note: The opening of this video was filmed not far from Upper College Road, just prior to 2:45 yesterday afternoon.
It might explain a lot.
Then again, it might not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8j0CrI ... freload=10

A BRSSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF ACROPOLIS LLC
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Kudos for the pep band playing the
Game of Thrones theme.
It's been a favorite of mine as well, Rod!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Barlow Basement
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Barlow Basement »

I have an idea that would be a little harder to pull off them signs in the parking lot (which should already be done). Here's the backstory:

I've spent most of this season sitting in 209 which is in front of the new drinking area. In my opinion the small draped off room is weird at best. I had a group of friends attend the GW game for a bachelor party and they pretty much confirmed that being on the inside of the draperies feels just as weird.

I also have experience sitting in the private rooms overlooking the courts above the 300 section. The rooms that Gina R. graced us with her presence from a couple weeks ago. I would never choose to spend a game in one of those rooms again. Dull room, bad catering, and a nightmare for anyone that is only there to watch the game.

So I think with a "little" off-season construction, the private rooms overlooking the courts could be combined and made into an actual in-house sports bar that could open during football and basketball events. Something similar to the CBS Sports bar overlooking Gillette but in the Ryan Center. The Ryan Center obviously has a license to sell alcohol, so let's actually do something with it. I'm talking a real bar, high top tables, lounge chairs, big screen TV's that are showing other A10 games. We could use the drapes from the current bar for some of the tablecloths.

The newer stadiums being built have more than just seats and bathrooms. Take a look at the pool party going on at Jacksonville Jaguar games, it's the highlight of their season. Having a state of the art sports bar/lounge at the Ryan Center would give us the "It" factor that excites recruits and boosters. Talk about the potential money making machine for Rhody Athletics.

So that's my idea. Too over the top?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

A few things that I have noticed & it may have been brought up before but I figured I would make note of it. (not that anyone cares what I think...but anyway. ha)

First off, is the Ram not allowed on the court at all during timeouts? I remember the days of him running around the court getting the crowd into it while the cheerleaders &/or Ramettes performed. Now he basically is standing around on the sidelines. Yawn. Why bother even having a mascot at the game if that's all he/she is doing?

The other thing that I have talked about a few times with the 2 other guys I attend games with is the national anthem. During big home games like UMass last night or the VCU game can we have someone sing it who can really belt it out & get the crowd a little into it. I not expecting Rene Rancourt, but someone that can bring a little energy to the crowd before the game begins. Huge game last night...and here comes the Dave's Marketplace Quartet. Zzzzzzz. Nothing against them or the solo guy that plays the acoustic guitar, but on big games I want a little more oomph.

Now that I think of it, how cool would it be for Rene Rancourt to perform the anthem for a huge game. Hmmmmm...
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rene Rancourt is definitely a possibility. He's sung the National Anthem at Mount Saint Charles and even at a friend's wedding who is a Bruins nut. Just have to pay the appearance fee I imagine.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

spookydog wrote:A few things that I have noticed & it may have been brought up before but I figured I would make note of it. (not that anyone cares what I think...but anyway. ha)

First off, is the Ram not allowed on the court at all during timeouts? I remember the days of him running around the court getting the crowd into it while the cheerleaders &/or Ramettes performed. Now he basically is standing around on the sidelines. Yawn. Why bother even having a mascot at the game if that's all he/she is doing?

The other thing that I have talked about a few times with the 2 other guys I attend games with is the national anthem. During big home games like UMass last night or the VCU game can we have someone sing it who can really belt it out & get the crowd a little into it. I not expecting Rene Rancourt, but someone that can bring a little energy to the crowd before the game begins. Huge game last night...and here comes the Dave's Marketplace Quartet. Zzzzzzz. Nothing against them or the solo guy that plays the acoustic guitar, but on big games I want a little more oomph.

Now that I think of it, how cool would it be for Rene Rancourt to perform the anthem for a huge game. Hmmmmm...
I thought Blue Man's future father-in-law was great last week singing the anthem. Wouldn't mind seeing him more often.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Wow, we're complaining about the national anthem?! I'm sure the singers are scheduled well in advance. You realize you're complaining about the national anthem and how it's sung? This is what it's come to...

"Our guys would've played better in the first 5 minutes of the game but darn it, that Star Spangled Banner rendition screwed them up and they lost their focus!"

Next question...we're on to Cincinnati.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I can't remember her name, but the girl that sang the Anthem a couple of times this year is fantastic.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: I thought Blue Man's future father-in-law was great last week singing the anthem. Wouldn't mind seeing him more often.
I know for a fact he would do it as often as his schedule allowed if asked. He's an alum and a season ticket holder in 205. Guy has phenomenal pipes. He's soloed for Pope John Paul II. We're pretty fortunate to have him sing.

I thought the quartet was good - crowd was into it. Thankfully we had a crowd that would've been into anything. I wouldn't really miss the guitar guy or trumpet guy though - talented but more suited for a school assembly or upscale affair rather than a basketball game.

On a different note: one thing that grinds my gears is when people leave before the end of the game when we're winning...especially a rivalry game like UMass. A game like last night deserves a standing ovation from the crowd for the effort put out there. Pretty sad when 1/4 of the arena empties out before the buzzer.
Last edited by Blue Man 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agreed! I was over near the runway applauding the team as they went to the locker room.
There were a handful of us. Everyone else bailed. Hassan tried to jump and high five somone.
I went downstairs after talking to Milan, and his brother, and visited with Gilvydas,
and saying hello to a bunch of familiars.
Take in what's happening. It's been so long. A few extra minutes to show your
love for the team and the people around the program, won't kill you.
These are good people, deserving of maximum support.
It motivates them to put faces with the crowds that show up. It personalizes things.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RhodyFan @RhodyFan

Nothing like a barbershop quartet to get the crowd going. #GoRhody
7:01 PM - 18 Feb 2015
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I, for one, enjoyed the quartet. I think the crowd had no problem starting to cheer even before the anthem was over.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i always liked the barbarshop quartet, the James Taylor style guy I never cared for
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ATPTourFan wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Kudos for the pep band playing the
Game of Thrones theme.
It's been a favorite of mine as well, Rod!

This is a great idea..

I too was at the beer garden for GW game and it was just plain blah

GO BIG OR GO HOME

love this idea..

Webster bank arena in brideport ct has a similar thing

I mean.. That facility blows.. But just thought I point out the bar area..
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Barlow Basement wrote:I have an idea that would be a little harder to pull off them signs in the parking lot (which should already be done). Here's the backstory:

I've spent most of this season sitting in 209 which is in front of the new drinking area. In my opinion the small draped off room is weird at best. I had a group of friends attend the GW game for a bachelor party and they pretty much confirmed that being on the inside of the draperies feels just as weird.

I also have experience sitting in the private rooms overlooking the courts above the 300 section. The rooms that Gina R. graced us with her presence from a couple weeks ago. I would never choose to spend a game in one of those rooms again. Dull room, bad catering, and a nightmare for anyone that is only there to watch the game.

So I think with a "little" off-season construction, the private rooms overlooking the courts could be combined and made into an actual in-house sports bar that could open during football and basketball events. Something similar to the CBS Sports bar overlooking Gillette but in the Ryan Center. The Ryan Center obviously has a license to sell alcohol, so let's actually do something with it. I'm talking a real bar, high top tables, lounge chairs, big screen TV's that are showing other A10 games. We could use the drapes from the current bar for some of the tablecloths.

The newer stadiums being built have more than just seats and bathrooms. Take a look at the pool party going on at Jacksonville Jaguar games, it's the highlight of their season. Having a state of the art sports bar/lounge at the Ryan Center would give us the "It" factor that excites recruits and boosters. Talk about the potential money making machine for Rhody Athletics.

0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I kinda like a few fans leaving early. That probably means we have a safe lead and the game is virtually is "in the bag". I cannot take many more of the games that go to the wire...........
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't drink beer often.....but when I do I drink Dos Equis.....but I really believe fans should be able to take their beers back to their seats as in every other sporting venue in America....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Barlow Basement wrote:I have an idea that would be a little harder to pull off them signs in the parking lot (which should already be done). Here's the backstory:

Perhaps a simpler option would be to build a permanent bar in the same location that better incorporated the court. The TD Garden in Boston has bars at each end. The DDC has this at one end. Model it on them. Have bar height tables and stools and open to the arena.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Those arenas let you take drinks back to your seat.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous wrote:I don't drink beer often.....but when I do I drink Dos Equis.....but I really believe fans should be able to take their beers back to their seats as in every other sporting venue in America....
Stay thirsty Ram Fans!!!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some thoughts on this subject from last night's game:
EZ didn't seem to use the mic that much to get chants going. Not sure why

The fans get loud on a great play. UMass calls a TO. Instead of having music, video or EZ keeping the students cheering there is some event on the court that brings everyone back down. I know the events are sponsored so it is money.

URI throws, shoots and drops more giveaway tshirts and balls into the stands than any other sporting event I have been to. What is the value of doing that?

I like the students behind the baskets on the floor. It is very typical and plenty of good teams with strong homecourt advantages have their students behind the baskets.

I would like to see the sponsors giveaway towels (to waive) pregame. Either white or Rhody Blue. The Bruins do this during the playoffs.

Last thought from my brother - have some flexibility with video questions etc. Last night Tyson Wheeler is at the game (one of the greatest Rams ever) and the only thing done is EZ announcing that during a TO. The SLU game Michael Anderson is in the front row (guessing he got tickets thru Athletic Dept so they knew in advance). Trivia question is about all time leading shot blocker. Anderson is in the top 4 and isnt on the list.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think chants and traditions should be organic and come from the students themselves ..... it shouldn't be EZ's job to develop this ...... it should come from the kids in the stands...let them show their creativity in developing these over time and leading to something uniquely theirs...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with Blue Man and Rod, never understand folks leaving URI games early, especially last night. Isnt that why you have tickets? for a game like that, but you have to leave early to avoid the whopping 10 minute delay getting out of the parking lot. Sorry but FREAKIN RHODE ISLANDERS.

Agree a towel give-away would be an actual premium that could be used to create a "ruckus". Simple and effective. Next year we should have a RHODE BLOCK give away made out of foam, sponsored by the RIDOT. I actually love the idea of Rhode Block, or anything that brands the style or program.

Students should be given some sort of sideline seating, even if its just half of it...would add to the environment in a major way. Also agree Rhody is a BORE. He used to be a big part of our brand, completely diminished. No personality, bad outfit, no presence at games.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

For the record the Nebraska game was louder than all games so far this year. Could be that it came down to final possessions.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

They gave out towels at the St Louis game. Someone took my wife's from her seat when she went to the ladies room, even though her coat was with it.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I never leave the arena early......I stay in my seats for a good 20 minutes after the final buzzer....re-living the win or agonizing over the loss.....I am usually shoo-ed out by the staff and usually I am the last person in the 200 level to leave....it beats standing outside in the cold waiting for the bus......
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote:Some thoughts on this subject from last night's game:

The fans get loud on a great play. UMass calls a TO. Instead of having music, video or EZ keeping the students cheering there is some event on the court that brings everyone back down. I know the events are sponsored so it is money.
There are a group of guys who sit in the front row of the Ruckus who have been doing a superb job of leading chants.

EZ does a fantastic job, and shouldn't HAVE to make the students start chants.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Another issue for the concession stands......with the crowds being better...the lines were extremely long and the wait time was horrendous.....they need more staff and maybe some more satellite snack bars with the more popular items only.....like beer.....to quicken the pace...

....also my dad wanted a bagel or two donuts from Dunkin Donuts and I had to tell him they only have coffee......they should have a full DD stand in the arena.....
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think next year we might be able to start taking beer to our seats. Like I said a few months ago, the university is going to take it very slowly. I think the biggest improvement needed is faster/more service as the crowds grow...
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote:Some thoughts on this subject from last night's game:

URI throws, shoots and drops more giveaway tshirts and balls into the stands than any other sporting event I have been to. What is the value of doing that?

I like the students behind the baskets on the floor. It is very typical and plenty of good teams with strong homecourt advantages have their students behind the baskets.

I would like to see the sponsors giveaway towels (to waive) pregame. Either white or Rhody Blue. The Bruins do this during the playoffs.

Last thought from my brother - have some flexibility with video questions etc. Last night Tyson Wheeler is at the game (one of the greatest Rams ever) and the only thing done is EZ announcing that during a TO. The SLU game Michael Anderson is in the front row (guessing he got tickets thru Athletic Dept so they knew in advance). Trivia question is about all time leading shot blocker. Anderson is in the top 4 and isnt on the list.

Thanks for the feedback! To hit on a few points you made:

-The amount of coordination that goes into the Official/Media timeouts (16:00, 12:00, 8:00, 4:00 in each half) would shock most fans. It may seem pretty casual but the audio/video crew, URI Marketing & Ryan Center staff map these things out sometimes days in advance. Regardless of what happens in the game leading up to them, those media timeouts are hardwired so we can deliver exposure promised to our various sponsors.

-Called timeouts are an entirely different animal. Depending on the situation, our terrific director Jamie is able to be flexible and cue me up to getting the crowd going, play a high energy song, trigger a PA read, or cue the band/cheerleaders. As far as me not starting chants in the most recent game...I do that more often when the crowd needs a jolt of energy...that wasn't the case on Wednesday. They were already pumped.

-Finally, oftentimes we don't really know if former players are going to be in attendance until just before the game. Not to mention our trivia questions involve some pretty savvy "text to win" technology...so again, those questions are finalized hours before the game and impossible to edit on the fly when I'm informed that Tyson Wheeler has appeared in the crowd.

Hope this "peak behind the curtain" helped clarify some things!
Last edited by EZBuckets 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramulous wrote:I never leave the arena early......I stay in my seats for a good 20 minutes after the final buzzer....re-living the win or agonizing over the loss.....I am usually shoo-ed out by the staff and usually I am the last person in the 200 level to leave....it beats standing outside in the cold waiting for the bus......
The only game I've left early since I can remember is the SLU game when we clearly had in hand and I had to drive through the snow storm getting back to Boston. After the 74th text from my wife and my father urging me to get on the road ASAP I finally gave in with about 5 minutes left.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How about moving the Alum of the Game, and The Student Athlete of The Game
to halftime?
It's true, everyone is hyped over what's happening with the game,
and STOP!
Less giveaways that are non sponsored would be good, too.
I get the sponsored stuff. They are important to the revenue flow.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I agree with Rod about moving the Alum of the game to halftime.......but I would leave the StudentAthlete of the game as an in-game item....the kids deserve the undivided attention of our fans....who knows how they choose the Alum.....
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

I love that I can help bridge a gap and answer some questions here for inquiring minds...However, please remember I am not a full-time staff member and am not in any position to make decisions or changes.

I liken myself to Ron Burgandy; I am handed a script and I read it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, who do we bug? Daryl Jasper?
0 x