Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
HASwatTeam
Marc Upshaw
Posts: 89
Joined: 2 years ago
x 55

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby HASwatTeam » 2 months ago

I agree that the biggest issue needs to be expansion of the drinking area. Allowing beer to be brought back to seats would be AWESOME, however I don't know how plausible that is considering the hurtles that would need to be jumped before it was ever allowed.

The problem is that one in one out concept when No One is leaving. Places such as the alumni room or more sections of the hallway need to be allowed to have people drinking beer! I don't mean to over exaggerate, but alcohol has got to be top 1 or 2 ways you draw a casual fan to an event!!
5 x

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2410
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1427

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Blue Man » 2 months ago

HASwatTeam wrote:I agree that the biggest issue needs to be expansion of the drinking area. Allowing beer to be brought back to seats would be AWESOME, however I don't know how plausible that is considering the hurtles that would need to be jumped before it was ever allowed.

The problem is that one in one out concept when No One is leaving. Places such as the alumni room or more sections of the hallway need to be allowed to have people drinking beer! I don't mean to over exaggerate, but alcohol has got to be top 1 or 2 ways you draw a casual fan to an event!!


I agree with everything here, it's just pathetic that there are "hurdles" to get over, like no other college or sports arena has figured out how to get beer to people in their seats.

Oh no..the possibility that college kids would drink beer at a sporting event!? OH THE HUMANITY!! WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
6 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
Da_Process_Survivor
ARD
Posts: 666
Joined: 2 years ago
x 574

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Da_Process_Survivor » 2 months ago

Blue Man wrote:
HASwatTeam wrote:I agree that the biggest issue needs to be expansion of the drinking area. Allowing beer to be brought back to seats would be AWESOME, however I don't know how plausible that is considering the hurtles that would need to be jumped before it was ever allowed.

The problem is that one in one out concept when No One is leaving. Places such as the alumni room or more sections of the hallway need to be allowed to have people drinking beer! I don't mean to over exaggerate, but alcohol has got to be top 1 or 2 ways you draw a casual fan to an event!!


I agree with everything here, it's just pathetic that there are "hurdles" to get over, like no other college or sports arena has figured out how to get beer to people in their seats.

Oh no..the possibility that college kids would drink beer at a sporting event!? OH THE HUMANITY!! WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.


didnt you know? If all those poor naive college kids see someone drinking a beer it'll give them the idea to drink beer too. Lord knows they're all innocent angels that have never partaken in such activities before :roll:

yes, the attitudes towards alcohol at URI is over the top in 1 direction. it's the over reaction from the #1 party school days (even though all their heavy rules did was push all the partying off campus)
1 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

rhodylaw
ARD
Posts: 532
Joined: 5 years ago
x 78

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby rhodylaw » 2 months ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
HASwatTeam wrote:I agree that the biggest issue needs to be expansion of the drinking area. Allowing beer to be brought back to seats would be AWESOME, however I don't know how plausible that is considering the hurtles that would need to be jumped before it was ever allowed.

The problem is that one in one out concept when No One is leaving. Places such as the alumni room or more sections of the hallway need to be allowed to have people drinking beer! I don't mean to over exaggerate, but alcohol has got to be top 1 or 2 ways you draw a casual fan to an event!!


I agree with everything here, it's just pathetic that there are "hurdles" to get over, like no other college or sports arena has figured out how to get beer to people in their seats.

Oh no..the possibility that college kids would drink beer at a sporting event!? OH THE HUMANITY!! WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.


didnt you know? If all those poor naive college kids see someone drinking a beer it'll give them the idea to drink beer too. Lord knows they're all innocent angels that have never partaken in such activities before :roll:

yes, the attitudes towards alcohol at URI is over the top in 1 direction. it's the over reaction from the #1 party school days (even though all their heavy rules did was push all the partying off campus)


And see an increase in harder drugs that are less easily detected. Not really for this thread, but the 21 drinking age is an absurd experiment that has led to kids taking their parents pills to get high and whatever else they can get their hands on. Give em beer when they are 18, make the legal driving limit .02 until they are 21 and take their license for 3 months if they are .02 to .08. Legislate responsibility not abstinence.
0 x

CTRamfan
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 5 years ago
x 26

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby CTRamfan » 2 months ago

How does drinking beer make for a better basketball experience?
2 x

User avatar
NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3081
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: West K
x 572

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 2 months ago

because..."Nothing goes better together with everything than beer" ?
2 x

CTRamfan
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 5 years ago
x 26

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby CTRamfan » 2 months ago

Ha !..........Quinnipiac tried something different......there are only 34 D1 basketball arenas that serve beer, and most are off campus.

QU has a club where you can drink and watch the game, or the hockey games, but you can't take the drinks to the arena seating. They have a buffet, and waitresses, much like a restaurant. Not sure of the cost though.
0 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2205
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 424

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 months ago

CTRamfan wrote:How does drinking beer make for a better basketball experience?


Why not?
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2410
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1427

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Blue Man » 2 months ago

CTRamfan wrote:How does drinking beer make for a better basketball experience?


Whether or not it does for you personally, it does for the masses. Show me any sporting event and I will show you the loudest 30-40% of a building are those imbibing. It's why Gillette is made fun of constantly during the regular season as the "real housewives of foxboro" until the weather turns and the rich, old, quiet people give their tickets to their children and grandchildren who go booze up and cheer their lungs out.

It's even more important when you have a student population who isn't already committed to basketball to a level everyone on this board would like to see.

The mind of a college kid bases all decisions on beer, and where they can drink it. Like it or not that's the reality. That's certainly the reality of the target market of fans everyone wants to see in the building; i.e. the loud, typical, fun college crowd.

If you ask anyone what's been missing in the years previous to now, it's the loud raucous crowd everyone whines about not having.

Why?

Well in addition to us being an actually bad team, our fans by and large are older and prefer the quiet life. It's nice, but it certainly doesn't provide a homecourt advantage.

You want students and young people?

Let them drink beer normally like they can miles away from campus. Kingston isn't a destination for anything past 5pm. If basketball isn't the draw by itself, you need another carrot. It's very obvious what that is.
3 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

UCH21377
ARD
Posts: 639
Joined: 5 years ago
x 145

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby UCH21377 » 2 months ago

I'm ok with drinking in the pub but they need to expand it, serve more food, and have more and better TVs. That way if you spend 10 minutes of game time in there you're not missing the game
1 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2744
Joined: 5 years ago
x 538

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby theblueram » 2 months ago

My daughter just moved into her dorm today and texted me that she joined the #RhodyRuckus. 8-) 8-) 8-)
14 x

HASwatTeam
Marc Upshaw
Posts: 89
Joined: 2 years ago
x 55

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby HASwatTeam » 2 months ago

As a program fan base we are at a VERY crucial point. One way we could maximize out potential is of course by getting a max student crowd for each game. However that is done by winning and NCAA appearances...something we now have. They way you draw back alumni and lapsed fans who have to make more of a sacrifice than walking 30 steps from their dorm to attend a game is by creating a full experience. An increased beer garden area would not necessarily increase family appearances, but it sure as HELL would increase the young alumni attendance. That would build roots, and set an example for those seniors about to graduate each year who will plan from the get-go to return for basketball games. To me, its a slippery slope.

Disclaimer: I clearly love beer, so this post may appear biased...but I also love business, and successful college basketball programs are like businesses, they are built through capitalizing on opportunities...especially those right in front of you
5 x

Taylor Swift
ARD
Posts: 584
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Watch Hill
x 74

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Taylor Swift » 2 months ago

theblueram wrote:My daughter just moved into her dorm today and texted me that she joined the #RhodyRuckus. 8-) 8-) 8-)



Haha! Lucky!
2 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7074
Joined: 5 years ago
x 991

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

Taylor Swift wrote:
theblueram wrote:My daughter just moved into her dorm today and texted me that she joined the #RhodyRuckus. 8-) 8-) 8-)



Haha! Lucky!



1st Great College Decision - Chose URI!!
2nd Great College Decision - Joined the RhodyRuckus!!

2 for 2
4 x

User avatar
zporiri
Steve Chubin
Posts: 125
Joined: 4 years ago
x 11

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby zporiri » 2 months ago

I'm not sure what all the details are, but I know the ruckus is going function a similarly to the mob a few years back. it costs $20 to join and you get priority on student tickets
1 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4166
Joined: 5 years ago
x 760

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

I personally just don't get all this obsession with beer distribution at the Ryan Center. I like beer but I would rather get it at a nice restaurant or bar before or after the game. At restaurants and bars, there is typically a far wider and better selection along with it usually being less expensive. Furthermore, I more enjoy drinking a beer at a nice establishment with tables and comfortable chairs while eating a good meal or having a conversation with friends. I have no issue in it being either before or after a Ryan Center game. I rather not waste any time getting a beer at a game and missing any on court action.
0 x

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2410
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1427

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Blue Man » 2 months ago

RF1 wrote:I personally just don't get all this obsession with beer distribution at the Ryan Center. I like beer but I would rather get it at a nice restaurant or bar before or after the game. At restaurants and bars, there is typically a far wider and better selection along with it usually being less expensive. Furthermore, I more enjoy drinking a beer at a nice establishment with tables and comfortable chairs while eating a good meal or having a conversation with friends. I have no issue in it being either before or after a Ryan Center game. I rather not waste any time getting a beer at a game and missing any on court action.


Point being that's you. You're already at the Ryan Center.

We want the people that aren't there. The people that are loud. Those people want beer. Those people want to watch sports with beer. A majority of people feel that way...maybe not in this fan base...but that's one reason our fan base is pretty small, especially in the building.
1 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4166
Joined: 5 years ago
x 760

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

Blue Man wrote:Point being that's you. You're already at the Ryan Center.

We want the people that aren't there. The people that are loud. Those people want beer. Those people want to watch sports with beer. A majority of people feel that way...maybe not in this fan base...but that's one reason our fan base is pretty small, especially in the building.


It would seem all the people on this site advocating for beer are already there as well.

If you think the Ryan Center serving beer will suddenly increase ticket sales, show me evidence to support this. It seems to me that locally, the McCoy Stadium home of the Pawsox, serves beer. They have a good selection and allow patrons to bring it back to their seats. Their attendance until this past year had been in steep decline over the last decade. Having beer has not been a big ticket seller for them. It would seem many other factors are at work which have impacted ticket sales.

Look, I am not necessarily against beer sales at the Ryan Center. I just am not much concerned with it as many others seem to be. I also do not think it will really impact additional ticket sales. My guess is its primary benefit to URI is the revenue from its sale at the games. There are many other factors far more important than beer which drive ticket sales. Chief among these is consistent winning and postseason success.
3 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9400
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 988
Contact:

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 2 months ago

RF1, there aren't any places near the Ryan center to get a beer or meal before the game, especially on weeknights. It is hard enough for many to be in their seats for a 7pm tip even without stopping for dinner or a quick pregame drink.
4 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2205
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 424

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 months ago

ATPTourFan wrote:RF1, there aren't any places near the Ryan center to get a beer or meal before the game, especially on weeknights. It is hard enough for many to be in their seats for a 7pm tip even without stopping for dinner or a quick pregame drink.


THIS is a great point. As we know, Kingston isn't exactly thriving with restaurants and bars, which is a major downfall for sporting events at URI. So having a chance to buy a beer here is great and wellllll appreciated by fans as easily observed during the past season. Even opposing team fans love it.
2 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

josephski
Art Stephenson
Posts: 781
Joined: 2 years ago
x 237

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby josephski » 2 months ago

Blue Man wrote:
RF1 wrote:I personally just don't get all this obsession with beer distribution at the Ryan Center. I like beer but I would rather get it at a nice restaurant or bar before or after the game. At restaurants and bars, there is typically a far wider and better selection along with it usually being less expensive. Furthermore, I more enjoy drinking a beer at a nice establishment with tables and comfortable chairs while eating a good meal or having a conversation with friends. I have no issue in it being either before or after a Ryan Center game. I rather not waste any time getting a beer at a game and missing any on court action.


Point being that's you. You're already at the Ryan Center.

We want the people that aren't there. The people that are loud. Those people want beer. Those people want to watch sports with beer. A majority of people feel that way...maybe not in this fan base...but that's one reason our fan base is pretty small, especially in the building.


I'm pretty sure the SEC doesn't allow alcohol at any of there sporting events and they seem to do ok with attendance. I think you're really overestimating the number of people who don't go to games because they can't have a beer in their seat.

Would it be nice to drink a beer at my seat? Sure, and I'm sure they'd sell more beers as well but I think it'd have a very small impact on attendance, maybe no impact at all.
2 x

User avatar
ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9400
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Wakefield, RI
x 988
Contact:

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 2 months ago

I don't think anyone has said beer is the top driver for attendance, but it is a factor in the overall decision making process of attending a game in person vs watching at home. At this point, we are at the "why not take the next step" phase with this beer/wine experiment at the Ryan Center. It's Dooley's call. That's the only thing stopping it at this point.
1 x

User avatar
bigappleram
Sly Williams
Posts: 3784
Joined: 5 years ago
x 900

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby bigappleram » 2 months ago

I like beer and I like sports. But never has my decision to attend an event been based on my ability to drink beer there. Would it add to the experience, I guess a bit for some...would also add to the bathroom line. That said, if they are going to do it then it should be done in a way that is of a higher caliber and a better fan experience within the designated area. If someone is coming to a URI game because they now can chug 4-5 beers in the 2 hours that doesn't necessarily seem like a high quality consumer. Also according to all statistics drinking is way down amongst 18-22 year olds, and at that age if you want to be drunk at the RC you will figure out a way to do that...net net, my POV is keep it within the designated area but make said area a better experience for adult fans.
1 x

User avatar
NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3081
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: West K
x 572

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 2 months ago

My POV is that it doesn't impact my decision to go or not. But....they have it there...so, since they have it there, how about have a decent product instead of stuff that sucks. Yes, an improvement to the fan experience in the designated area would be nice, but other than speeding up the line, not that big of a deal to me...just get a product in there that's enjoyable... Whatever they have, they'll sell...why not have something decent?
0 x

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2410
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1427

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Blue Man » 2 months ago

Again. This doesn't apply to most of the fans who come on this board. Most of us are 30's or much, much older - so priorities have changed with regards to drinking, and their idea of fun.

It does however, apply to college kids. College kids who have had a hard time supporting the basketball program with their attendance. College kids are also the only section of the fan base that stomps their feet, yells, cheers, jeers, and genuinely contributes to the college basketball atmosphere that is usually lacking at the Ryan Center.

I want beer in the seats because beer brings in rowdy college kids, and rowdy college kids provide a better environment for my team to win games in.
0 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3975
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1000

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

First, I'm going to stick up for our students, they've been the best part of our fan base the last couple years and it hasn't been particularly close. They've done a much better job compared to previous years and compared to other segments of the population.

Second, how many college students can afford multiple seven dollar beers? How many would want to when pregaming is so much cheaper and probably better than anything we could offer in the arena?
4 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
bigappleram
Sly Williams
Posts: 3784
Joined: 5 years ago
x 900

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby bigappleram » 2 months ago

I really don't get the line of thinking about students...so you want a beer section serving 19 and 20 year olds beer at the RC? If college kids want to drink they always will find a way. I cannot see a scenario where beer sales and under 21 year olds mix in a college setting.
1 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8377
Joined: 5 years ago
x 952

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:First, I'm going to stick up for our students, they've been the best part of our fan base the last couple years and it hasn't been particularly close. They've done a much better job compared to previous years and compared to other segments of the population.

Second, how many college students can afford multiple seven dollar beers? How many would want to when pregaming is so much cheaper and probably better than anything we could offer in the arena?

One more thing. I don't know how strict they are at checking IDs, but I'm guessing they are very strict. What % of college students are 21? I know I didn't turn 21 until January of my senior year.
0 x

josephski
Art Stephenson
Posts: 781
Joined: 2 years ago
x 237

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby josephski » 2 months ago

One more thing to add regarding students, and I was one only a few years ago, most know it's very easy to sneak alcohol into the RC. When I was a student I would usually bring a half pint with me and I know I wasn't the only one doing this. Hell, I even saw a kid who brought 5 bud light platinums to a game.
1 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4166
Joined: 5 years ago
x 760

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

josephski wrote:One more thing to add regarding students, and I was one only a few years ago, most know it's very easy to sneak alcohol into the RC. When I was a student I would usually bring a half pint with me and I know I wasn't the only one doing this. Hell, I even saw a kid who brought 5 bud light platinums to a game.



I agree as I have seen students adding liquor to their Ryan Center purchased non-alcoholic beverages at games.
1 x

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2410
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1427

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Blue Man » 2 months ago

should have clarified with "college-aged" kids. People in their early to mid-twenties.

Again, I don't know how this is much of a debate. It's probably the #1 complaint of casual fans who don't frequent the Ryan Center. Should be a much easier fix than it's being made.

If people didn't enjoy drinking beers at games the lines at both pubs and the alumni lounge wouldn't be longer than halftime.

Seems foolish to not follow through.
2 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2205
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 424

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 months ago

Yea never mind the thirst quenching and roundy home crowd advantage, the RC would clean up money wise.
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

User avatar
Da_Process_Survivor
ARD
Posts: 666
Joined: 2 years ago
x 574

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Da_Process_Survivor » 2 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:First, I'm going to stick up for our students, they've been the best part of our fan base the last couple years and it hasn't been particularly close. They've done a much better job compared to previous years and compared to other segments of the population.

Second, how many college students can afford multiple seven dollar beers? How many would want to when pregaming is so much cheaper and probably better than anything we could offer in the arena?

One more thing. I don't know how strict they are at checking IDs, but I'm guessing they are very strict. What % of college students are 21? I know I didn't turn 21 until January of my senior year.


a pretty good portion, probably between 40-50%

The majority of students turn 21 in their junior year.

freshman - 18 turn 19
sophomore - 19 turn 20
junior - 20 turn 21
senior - 21 turn 22
0 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8377
Joined: 5 years ago
x 952

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:First, I'm going to stick up for our students, they've been the best part of our fan base the last couple years and it hasn't been particularly close. They've done a much better job compared to previous years and compared to other segments of the population.

Second, how many college students can afford multiple seven dollar beers? How many would want to when pregaming is so much cheaper and probably better than anything we could offer in the arena?

One more thing. I don't know how strict they are at checking IDs, but I'm guessing they are very strict. What % of college students are 21? I know I didn't turn 21 until January of my senior year.


a pretty good portion, probably between 40-50%

The majority of students turn 21 in their junior year.

freshman - 18 turn 19
sophomore - 19 turn 20
junior - 20 turn 21
senior - 21 turn 22

But, how many of those turn 21 by March? That's what is relevant here. My daughter just turned 21 2 weeks ago and just started her senior year. Most of her friends/classmates turned 21 this summer also.
0 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2205
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 424

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 months ago

Like Blueman has stated, "college aged" also refers to recent alum or anyone in there 20s such as myself, just for clarification.
1 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3062
Joined: 5 years ago
x 426

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 2 months ago

The RC would not have been built if we didn't have an alum in the governor's office.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... work-ethic
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

Taylor Swift
ARD
Posts: 584
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Watch Hill
x 74

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Taylor Swift » 2 months ago

Iggy1979 wrote:The RC would not have been built if we didn't have an alum in the governor's office.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... work-ethic


Haven't seen a governor with genuine interest in this state succeeding since him.
1 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4166
Joined: 5 years ago
x 760

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

Iggy1979 wrote:The RC would not have been built if we didn't have an alum in the governor's office.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... work-ethic



Did anyone else see Mike Tamburro's letter to the Projo in support of a new Pawsox stadium. In it, he referenced the Ryan Center as a defense to his campaign for state support:

    No different than the Dunkin’ Donut Center, the Ryan Center, or McCoy Stadium.

The Ryan Center, the only venue of the three that primarily serves a public entity (URI) actually got the least support (% wise) from the state of the venues he referenced. The DDC and McCoy Stadium renovation were near 100% covered by the state. URI had to fund nearly 2/3 of the cost of the Ryan Center on its own. RI and Pawtucket would pick up approximately 45% of the cost for a new Pawsox stadium proposed for downtown Pawtucket at the Apex site.

It irks me to see the Ryan Center used in this way when it, unlike the others, was built for a public state entity, and done so with the lowest percentage of taxpayer money. If others want to use the Ryan Center as an example for their handouts, URI should fully embrace that philosophy when it seeks state support for upgrading some of its dilapidated athletic facilities (Meade and track).


My Turn: Mike Tamburro: Keep PawSox in R.I. till 2050
http://www.providencejournal.com/opinio ... -till-2050
1 x

Taylor Swift
ARD
Posts: 584
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Watch Hill
x 74

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Taylor Swift » 2 months ago

RF1 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:The RC would not have been built if we didn't have an alum in the governor's office.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... work-ethic



Did anyone else see Mike Tamburro's letter to the Projo in support of a new Pawsox stadium. In it, he referenced the Ryan Center as a defense to his campaign for state support:

    No different than the Dunkin’ Donut Center, the Ryan Center, or McCoy Stadium.

The Ryan Center, the only venue of the three that primarily serves a public entity (URI) actually got the least support (% wise) from the state of the venues he referenced. The DDC and McCoy Stadium renovation were near 100% covered by the state. URI had to fund nearly 2/3 of the cost of the Ryan Center on its own. RI and Pawtucket would pick up approximately 45% of the cost for a new Pawsox stadium proposed for downtown Pawtucket at the Apex site.

It irks me to see the Ryan Center used in this way when it, unlike the others, was built for a public state entity, and done so with the lowest percentage of taxpayer money. If others want to use the Ryan Center as a example for their handouts, URI should fully embrace that philosophy when it seeks state support for upgrading some of its dilapidated athletic facilities (Meade and track).


My Turn: Mike Tamburro: Keep PawSox in R.I. till 2050
http://www.providencejournal.com/opinio ... -till-2050


Comparing the Ryan Center to McCoy Stadium makes my blood boil.

An on-campus facility at the state's flagship university (especially based on the lack of funding the State of RI even contributes to the school) is completely different than a for-profit organization asking for taxpayer handouts. They only need to make upgrades to McCoy-- whatever they'd have to spend is mere pocket change for Lucchino.

The fleecing does not stop.
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8377
Joined: 5 years ago
x 952

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

Koch said he was going to educate Rhode Islanders on matters like these. Start with people at your own paper like Patinkin, Bill.
1 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4166
Joined: 5 years ago
x 760

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

Billyboy78 wrote:Koch said he was going to educate Rhode Islanders on matters like these. Start with people at your own paper like Patinkin, Bill.



In fairness to Bill, Mike Tamburro, Vice Chairman of the Pawtucket Red Sox, is not an employee of the Projo. His reference was in a letter to the paper from him.
0 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2205
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 424

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 1 week ago

0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

User avatar
NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3081
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: West K
x 572

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 1 week ago

trophy?
decent beer?
2 x

User avatar
Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2205
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
x 424

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 1 week ago

Trophy Case?
1 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

User avatar
Ramtastico
Kenny Green
Posts: 214
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: ATL
x 32

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Ramtastico » 1 week ago

Carl Koussa statue
1 x

User avatar
ram1980
Lamar Odom
Posts: 302
Joined: 4 years ago
x 44

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby ram1980 » 1 week ago

Am I the only one that thinks the new security measures and parking situation is going to be a nightmare??. Usually park in the boss arena lot and that's tough enough to get out off.. How fun is it for most of us to get out of the plains lot? Also, I get the wands, but we have trouble moving lines at games as it is.. Sorry don't believe they will be properly prepared.. Could affect attendance down the road
2 x

Ramulous
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 2049
Joined: 5 years ago
x 181

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Ramulous » 1 week ago

In this day and age I am willing to accept extreme vetting at the turnstiles.....you'll get no complaints from me....
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar and Boxworth!

User avatar
NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3081
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: West K
x 572

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 1 week ago

^ Agree, but the parking sitch blows. Takes forever to get out of Plains Lot no matter what...not even sure what can be done about it....
1 x

User avatar
theblueram
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2744
Joined: 5 years ago
x 538

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby theblueram » 1 week ago

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^ Agree, but the parking sitch blows. Takes forever to get out of Plains Lot no matter what...not even sure what can be done about it....


Keep the pub open for an hour after the game. That way you can wait it out with a brew.
5 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1082
Joined: 5 years ago
x 198

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby CT Rhody » 1 week ago

Get there early, that will resolve any issues you might have.
2 x


Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TruePoint and 8 guests