Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nooo.....I could take or leave Yorke....but EZ Buckets is a huge plus/add to the experience.

To me, the biggest thing they could do to get crowd energy and engagement...replays. Rhody rallies...someone hits a big shot, or a monster dunk...road team calls time out...show that play during the timeout and the crowd will stay wound. I know the replay thing has been mentioned many many times...but someone should be able to figure it out...everything's negotiable and it's not rocket surgery.

And...while it's understood that you're going to pay an arm and a leg for a beer...get some decent product in the place...Of the places I've seen URI play, where they sell beer (I know, I should be happy they sell beer at all, but...I'm not)...the Ry has by far the lamest selection...
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

EZBuckets wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:All the promotional things were still done with him out against St. Bonaventure. No contracts were torn up, we didn't lose any money, and no fans walked out of the building. There is zero proof that people walk into the Ryan Center for the MC.
Hey man, I'm really sorry I haven't thrown you a t-shirt. Let me know where you sit and I'll hand deliver one at the first home game next season. :lol:

Seriously though, no one is suggesting that they come to games to see me...not even my own mother. I'm paid to do a job during timeouts. I'm truly sorry that you feel my presence is unnecessary and negatively impacts your experience.

The good news for you is that I've decided that next season will be my last. The bad news is that I'll likely be replaced by someone younger & more annoying.
Now that is hilarious. Peace Buckets. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Next season is the last EZ ?

sorry to hear this

Coming from a URI grad that comes to a few games a year from CT, I appreciate all that you have done for our program
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ECR, I could repeat your post word for word....same situation.......and thanks EZ......
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhowdy, did EZ still your girl or something? Steal money from you? Anything?

You come to watch basketball, he comes to do his job and get paid. Nobody makes you watch him, if he bothers you so badly then go to the concession stands whenever he's out on the court.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

EZBuckets wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:All the promotional things were still done with him out against St. Bonaventure. No contracts were torn up, we didn't lose any money, and no fans walked out of the building. There is zero proof that people walk into the Ryan Center for the MC.
Hey man, I'm really sorry I haven't thrown you a t-shirt. Let me know where you sit and I'll hand deliver one at the first home game next season. :lol:

Seriously though, no one is suggesting that they come to games to see me...not even my own mother. I'm paid to do a job during timeouts. I'm truly sorry that you feel my presence is unnecessary and negatively impacts your experience.

The good news for you is that I've decided that next season will be my last. The bad news is that I'll likely be replaced by someone younger & more annoying.
You threw a soft ball to my buddy's son, you're good in my eyes on a personal level. And I'm not even trying to say you're bad at what you do. I'm saying the job they're having you do sucks. And the post you quoted me in was a reply to someone who was saying people come to the game because of you.

Hopefully the team has a successful year next year in your swan song, they recognize your contributions in the final game, and they never have someone do your job ever again.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Geez....

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You should lighten up about beer. Just grab a Miller Lite. It tastes great and it's less filling.

We all have things we like and dislike.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:You should lighten up about beer. Just grab a Miller Lite. It tastes great and it's less filling.

We all have things we like and dislike.
Well...even tho it doesn't taste great at all...fair enuff... 8-)
1 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

EZB, can you use your cannon arm to hurl some shirts into the 300s?? Half the games I go to I'm stuck up there with minimal t-shirt action :(
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Would love to see this thread started back up again. Anyone know if the Ryan can take on additional seating?
0 x
GO RAMS
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

not to be that person but gotta fill all the ones we have first
4 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Haven't read back through this whole thread but I can't help but think that the pavilion area should be converted to a permanent bar location rather than the crappy endzone location they currently round us into. Feels more spacious there with nothing directly overhead and there's a better view of the floor. Plus that reserves at least one endzone area for standing room only tickets in the event that became a necessity.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i have been speaking about this for awhile now and gave the blueprint of what needs to be done

maybe one day someone will listen to me and make it happen

in a nutshell

1) get rid of stupid press area seats w/ the black shower curtain and move press to baseline like every other school does

2) make rhody pub into something more permanent and a real pub/sports bar feel to is and extend over to under the big scoreboard

boom.
done.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Speaking with someone it seems issues with replays were two fold. One, we might not have had the staff to do it. Two, apparently the Atlantic 10 frowns on showing replays inside the arena.

Also I'm told they want to get to the point where beer and wine is sold at concession stands and brought back to seats, so I don't think you'll ever see big improvements to the Rhody Pubs over what currently exists.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

NOW they're talking if that's true!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

twisted3829 wrote:not to be that person but gotta fill all the ones we have first
Of course I agree, but I thought of this thread while looking at the post about seating capacity for BYU Gonzaga and the rest of their conference. IF we continue this winning trend and the programs grows, then one day we could see use in expansion. It's also exciting to see other improvement news on this thread which Is the other reason I commented.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Speaking with someone it seems issues with replays were two fold. One, we might not have had the staff to do it. Two, apparently the Atlantic 10 frowns on showing replays inside the arena.
Thats bush league. Sounds like the A10 doesnt want fans seeing replays of bad calls.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's tougher for us to become the big dog in the A10 due to Dayton's and VCU's success and resources......the best we can hope for is to get to their level and compete every season for the top 3 in the conference.

If so we have a great chance to dance every season......but with little margin for error if we slip just a little bit.

With Dayton ready and able to offer a coach 3 million a year, and VCU 2+ million.....we've got a ways to go. And the Flyers having a 13K arena that sells out regularly....that's a tough one for us to match. And they are contemplating a big arena upgrade or possibly even a new one!

Rhodysurf....there are a lot of bad calls made by A10 refs....there's your answer.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
.everything's negotiable and it's not rocket surgery.

That must be HARD! Rocket science AND brain surgery at the same time! hehe
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Brain surgery aboard a rocket...that you built yourself.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How about the bad calls in crunch time in the NCAAs.

Charging call against EC, blatant travel or charging non call in UNC Arkansas game, no goal tending call in Northwestern Gonzaga game folowed by tech against Collins, blatant travel non call last night in UNC Kentucky game on full court pass against Kentucky press. Note that UNC was the beneficiary of 2 of these calls.

I am sure there were others but these calls were very crucial to the results.

Theoretically the NCAA games started with the "best" 96 refs in the country.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Speaking with someone it seems issues with replays were two fold. One, we might not have had the staff to do it. Two, apparently the Atlantic 10 frowns on showing replays inside the arena.

Also I'm told they want to get to the point where beer and wine is sold at concession stands and brought back to seats, so I don't think you'll ever see big improvements to the Rhody Pubs over what currently exists.
That would be awesome... but they should still put some sort of lounge area on that pavilion. That space has so much potential and a minimal investment could make it a great spot in the arena!

Add a bar along the rail, couple permanent bar tables scattered throughout and boom you have a public lounge right in the Ryan Center.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

the_one_mike wrote:

That would be awesome... but they should still put some sort of lounge area on that pavilion. That space has so much potential and a minimal investment could make it a great spot in the arena!

Add a bar along the rail, couple permanent bar tables scattered throughout and boom you have a public lounge right in the Ryan Center.
The Ryan has so much more potential, give me a Jumbotron, remove the small screen that you can't even see, then take down the large screen and turn that area into a lounge/bar. Boom dream made.
3 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Hopefully the roof height is high enough at Ryan Center for a mid-court video screen/scoreboard, if that's what you are talking about.
The new Dunk put up that big scoreboard, video screen, but it is not high enough, because the Dunk roof it too low.
I have been to two games at the new Dunk, at both games, I saw a player throw up a long end of half/game shot that hit the scoreboard.

Well, the State gets what they paid for, for 1/4 of $Billion you can't expect them to raise the roof at the Dunk.
Last edited by OBRAM 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM wrote:Hopefully the roof height is high enough at Ryan Center for a mid-court video screen/scoreboard, if that's what you are talking about.
The new Dunk put up that big scoreboard, video screen, but it is not high enough, because the Dunk roof it too low.
I have been to two games at the new Dunk, at both games, I saw a player throw up a long end of half/game shot that hit the scoreboard.

Well, the State gets what they paid for, for 1/4 of $Billion you can't expect them to raise the roof at the Dunk.
I believe the height of the interior of the Ryan Center is taller than the DDC given it has an upper balcony and steeper grandstand inclines to make all seats close to the court. The issue with a center hung video board at the RC may have more to do with the view patrons in the balcony would have. Some might actually have to look down on it. I think the weight of a center hung video board may at one time have been an issue. These things are however likely much lighter with new technology so that may no longer be a problem.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

OBRAM wrote:Hopefully the roof height is high enough at Ryan Center for a mid-court video screen/scoreboard, if that's what you are talking about.

The dunk is certainly more of a hockey arena than anything else.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

I think I am the minority that doesn't want a traditional center scoreboard. I sit in 203 tho so I never have to look at the small shitty scoreboard
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, I love my spot in 205. It does suck for those in other areas.

Center hung scoreboard is absolutely possible, but the priority was replacing existing boards when Ryan Center switched to all digital signage.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, I love my spot in 205. It does suck for those in other areas.

Center hung scoreboard is absolutely possible, but the priority was replacing existing boards when Ryan Center switched to all digital signage.
yeah, with the ribbons and upgraded screens on the main board, i dont miss the center board nearly as much anymore. I kinda like the look without it now, makes the seats seem more on top of the action.

Plus, to me the overlook is a unique thing. Gives the building some character.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What happened to the lightweight center court scoreboard that was
supposedly in the works a couple of years ago?
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Although I like the fact there is not a central hanging scoreboard, if it meant for example having the overlook become a lounge and connecting the upper level with additional seating that would be worth reviewing. Those upper "overlook" seats would be on top of the court to say the least, could make the building even louder when it is a packed house! With that said, architecturally it would be difficult to make any seating over there feel natural since the other 3 corners are "normal"...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:What happened to the lightweight center court scoreboard that was
supposedly in the works a couple of years ago?
Along with the other corner video boards and ribbon, the center score board, if I remember correctly, was studied but obviously not prioritized.

At this point, adding a center scoreboard would not provide the return on investment the previous video upgrade provided. I don't think it is being actively planned anymore.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sooo...about the pub....last year had as weak a beer selection as one could imagine. What are the chances this year of upgrading to a local brew, now available in cans, produced locally, and not too expensive. The Rise, from Whalers...may not be the best beer in America, or even New England, but it's miles better than anything else they had there...it's local...and it's in cans...

Who is responsible for choosing what goes in there...how can we connect them so that the patrons can have a nice, reasonable, decent-tasting, local choice?
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes. The Rise is a good choice.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Grey Sail of Westerly also has a nice selection in cans.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Was talking about this the other day, the real problem is the capacity, lines are so long that the half begins by the time you get the beer. They need more room.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

At least towards the end of last year they stopped pouring the beer in cups, and just gave us the cans. That did move the lines along a bit.

I actually don't have that much of a problem with the selection. Gansett, local beer, Miller Lite is a sponsor I believe (I have have Rhody coasters with Miller Lite logo on the other side), Corona is solid, Sam Adams Boston Lager is meh.
0 x
Go Rhody
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody15 wrote:At least towards the end of last year they stopped pouring the beer in cups, and just gave us the cans. That did move the lines along a bit.

I actually don't have that much of a problem with the selection. Gansett, local beer, Miller Lite is a sponsor I believe (I have have Rhody coasters with Miller Lite logo on the other side), Corona is solid, Sam Adams Boston Lager is meh.
Change Sam Adams to Sam October and you vastly improved your selection! Wish they sold it around the arena instead of just on a certain contained area. It would create editions revenue that this program desperately needs and wouldn't truly add much risk to the event in my eyes.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CT Rhody wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:At least towards the end of last year they stopped pouring the beer in cups, and just gave us the cans. That did move the lines along a bit.

Change Sam Adams to Sam October and you vastly improved your selection! Wish they sold it around the arena instead of just on a certain contained area. It would create editions revenue that this program desperately needs and wouldn't truly add much risk to the event in my eyes.
I'm sure the issue they are worried about is people buying beer then giving it to students/others who aren't 21. I understand it from that perspective but yes, revenue would increase and having the beer at your sea would add to the in game experience.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:

I'm sure the issue they are worried about is people buying beer then giving it to students/others who aren't 21. I understand it from that perspective but yes, revenue would increase and having the beer at your sea would add to the in game experience.
Just don't allow the beer in the student section. Problem solved.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody74 wrote:Grey Sail of Westerly also has a nice selection in cans.
Yeah, if you're going cans go with Grey Sail or Foolproof.

Although, Tilted Barn has cans now in limited quantities (plus side, its all right brewed and sold on Rt 2 next to Schartner Farms). They're cheap and extremely good but dont know if they have the capacity for something like the Ryan Center
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

Although, Tilted Barn has cans now in limited quantities (plus side, its all right brewed and sold on Rt 2 next to Schartner Farms). They're cheap and extremely good but dont know if they have the capacity for something like the Ryan Center

Whaler's in Peace Dale!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...who/what department would be the contact point to influence something like that?
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

No chance Tilted to supply that volume right now. barely can sustain walk ups on Friday and Saturday only. Proclamation brews if they do cans would be a good option.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Taylor Swift wrote:

Whaler's in Peace Dale!
I work in the office next to whalers and they are scaling up like crazy every day. It would be interesting to see if they could support that volume.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:

Whaler's in Peace Dale!
I work in the office next to whalers and they are scaling up like crazy every day. It would be interesting to see if they could support that volume.
Seems they could...they're up to 266 bars and 105 package stores...

http://whalersbrewing.com/distribution
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:

Whaler's in Peace Dale!
Seems they could...they're up to 266 bars and 105 package stores...

http://whalersbrewing.com/distribution
Although I am certain the Athletic Dept. retired the hashtag "#RISE", Whaler's has a brew out called "RISE", which I really enjoyed even though I'm not much of a beer fan.

It's a great spot to check out if you haven't already, they have a nice cornhole set up and I've been to a few events there.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Went to a Blues Festival Saturday in East Providence. They were selling RISE there.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The Rise is actually the one they've been saturating the area with...cans everywhere now...a very solid brew...not something I'd drive all over to find...but definitely something that's always drinkable.
1 x