Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote:I have brought some of the board's concerns to the athletic department and will have their responses on this week's podcast.
Look forward to their responses. Hopefully they're all positive.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's all relative...........
We complain about parking but how would you like to be this guy at the PC - Georgetown Game

and got to love the comment from the tow truck driver

"When I saw it, I was filled with shock, anger, annoyance -- I don't know what to tell you," said Baris. "What I can tell you is that my tow truck driver told me that I was his fourth car last night that he picked up [with its wheels stripped].
http://www.golocalprov.com/news/new-pc- ... en-off-car
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

did someone post that last game the Rhody pubs had Whalers Rise as an option?

Also, does anyone know which pub is having the alumni event? North or South? I guess I can find out when i get there tomorrow just seeing if anyone had an idea

Thanks
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The Fan, the Frog and the Reporter brought your concerns to the URI athletic department. Here's the response:

https://soundcloud.com/colby-cotter/the ... episode-10
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
603RunninRams
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 603RunninRams »

Do doors typically open an hour before tip? If someone could let me know that would be outstanding. I want to get into the Rhody Pub asap after the long drive down from NH and need to plan my timing!
1 x
URI '08
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

603RunninRams wrote:Do doors typically open an hour before tip? If someone could let me know that would be outstanding. I want to get into the Rhody Pub asap after the long drive down from NH and need to plan my timing!
Yes. 1 hour. I believe the lobby opens 90 minutes before tip, but the turnstiles begin 1 hour before.
0 x
Gunboat
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Gunboat »

Do the pubs open an hour before the game?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Gunboat wrote:Do the pubs open an hour before the game?
Yes they do. We were ata concession nearby 45 min before tipoff and the pub was open with no lines.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:Also, does anyone know which pub is having the alumni event? North or South? I guess I can find out when i get there tomorrow just seeing if anyone had an idea

Thanks
The alumni event will be in the north pub
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
603RunninRams wrote:Do doors typically open an hour before tip? If someone could let me know that would be outstanding. I want to get into the Rhody Pub asap after the long drive down from NH and need to plan my timing!
Yes. 1 hour. I believe the lobby opens 90 minutes before tip, but the turnstiles begin 1 hour before.
Exactly.
The only game the turnstiles open 90 minutes before game time is for the PC game which is every other year at URI.
The Lobby opens 90 minutes before but lately the lobby has been filling up (very unusual but having the highest ranked RPI and Top 25 AP ranking in regular season history is causing big crowds) and they have been opening the turnstiles a bit earlier than the normal 60 minutes. You can also go in the store to shop 90 minutes before the game which is nice - then come out and go in the turnstiles at the 60 minute mark - as opposed to just standing in the lobby.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Any word on when we get our mascot back?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any updates on Ryan Center improvements or upgrades for this upcoming season?
0 x
GO RAMS
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I would love if they put a real Rhody pub in. Somewhere u could get food and 🍺 before or after the game!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also, anyone know who is taking over for EZ?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Also, anyone know who is taking over for EZ?
I did see something somewhere. It's a girl. But that's all I remember.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Any updates on Ryan Center improvements or upgrades for this upcoming season?
I don’t know if this is imminent, or if you’d really even consider it an “improvement” in the traditional sense, but keep an eye out for a new banner in the rafters honoring a Rhody legend. It’s such a no-brainer that it is honestly bizarre it isn’t up there already, but our namesake should be getting his due in the “new” building at some point in the future. No specifics on timing but hopefully sooner than later.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For those that serving alcohol is important to - UMass this season will be selling alcohol at both football and basketball games. I am sure Thorr, with all his contacts in Amherst, will be monitoring this. Seems more schools are starting to go this route to increase concession revenues. Beer is an especially high profit product for concessions.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 5 years ago I would love if they put a real Rhody pub in. Somewhere u could get food and 🍺 before or after the game!

You mean you don't like the pizza slices, Cheetos, and popcorn available to you now? :D :roll: ;)
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

What we need is actual signage for the pub, market the heck out of it, and anything else for that matter. It's current set up still says "trial run" to me.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago What we need is actual signage for the pub, market the heck out of it, and anything else for that matter. It's current set up still says "trial run" to me.
Can't say I don't agree with you, but both pubs are packed enough as it is without any marketing/signage.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago What we need is actual signage for the pub, market the heck out of it, and anything else for that matter. It's current set up still says "trial run" to me.
Can't say I don't agree with you, but both pubs are packed enough as it is without any marketing/signage.
You're totally right, I get in maybe twice a season, but I'm talking from a presentation/aesthetic standpoint.
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

It needs to be a legit bar - how hard is this to do ?

It also needs to extend to under the large scoreboard

Inside should be all RHODY past players, etc

Been saying this fir years now

It is a no brainer
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If they had an actual bar and not a single file line they might be able to get people in and out much quicker, which would make it less packed and presumably increase sales.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
If they had an actual bar and not a single file line they might be able to get people in and out much quicker, which would make it less packed and presumably increase sales.
Times I've been in the Alumni Lounge it seems to go much smoother. Fewer people and more room, so that's probably part of the reason.

Also, another thought I've had about Rhody Pub is that for a handful of games one pub will be closed down for a private function.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Stop closing a pub for a private party
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A-10 conference members UMass, Richmond, and VCU will start selling beer at their concessions for men's basketball games this season. This trend is also happening elsewhere. PC just started beer sales at its on campus Schneider Arena for men's hockey.

UR = University of Richmond

Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Once it started it was going to happen most places, if not everywhere. There's just too much money to leave on the table
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I came in here expecting someone to ask if URI was going to do something that they have already done or the usual "expand the bar!"

But this.

This is huge news.

If I can watch Orion Outerbridge with only a bag of popcorn and a water. I can watch Harris with a cold beer!

If they allow beer everywhere this season. This program came out of this offseason wayyyyyyyy ahead. Coaching moves and recruiting news be damned!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Update: I read the article. No beer.

I thought it was about URI and was like the Richmond Patch. Turns out its not.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Seawright, that news above was for University of Richmond. Did you read it as URI instead of UR ?

AAaaah. That explains it. Yes, Ryan Center needs to take the next step.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Totally thought it said URI.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Totally thought it said URI.
Based on the slow introduction of the Rhody Pub and recent moves elsewhere, it will probably only be a matter of time before URI follows suit and starts selling beer at its concessions and allowing it to be brought back to your seats.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'd like to be able to not have to leave my seat 10 minutes before the half ends in order to actually buy A BEER at the at the Ryan.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I'd like to be able to not have to leave my seat 10 minutes before the half ends in order to actually buy A BEER at the at the Ryan.
Two thoughts - spend two hours without drinking or make an annual donation to the Ram Fund and get admission to the Alumni Longue.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I'd like to be able to not have to leave my seat 10 minutes before the half ends in order to actually buy A BEER at the at the Ryan.
Two thoughts - spend two hours without drinking or make an annual donation to the Ram Fund and get admission to the Alumni Longue.
1. Wanting a beer at the game does not make you an alcoholic, don’t be snarky about it. Lots of people enjoy beer.

2. Not everyone (particularly young alumni) want to make an annual donation to the ram fund, or sit in the alumni lounge. Make it available everywhere, watch the ticket sales expand. Make it easy to pass to underage students, we have a party in our hands every game and it would be awesome (mostly kidding on that one).
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I’ll make a donation after my loans are paid off, until then I’ll keep drinking beer. Go Rhody.
5 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
1. Wanting a beer at the game does not make you an alcoholic, don’t be snarky about it. Lots of people enjoy beer.

2. Not everyone (particularly young alumni) want to make an annual donation to the ram fund, or sit in the alumni lounge. Make it available everywhere, watch the ticket sales expand. Make it easy to pass to underage students, we have a party in our hands every game and it would be awesome (mostly kidding on that one).
Wow what a stretch. Where did I say wanting a beer at a game makes you an alcoholic. I would go without a beer for 2 hours at a URI game instead of missing 10 minutes of the game - which was the original complaint. A group I go to the game with has dinner and drinks (or just drinks) before the games and on weekend games they go out for drinks afterwards to celebrate the win.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Does anybody know if URI is looking into selling beer at its concessions? This would be a huge revenue generating feature and fans would love it. Let’s go URI, keep up as we need this revenue and add to the fan experience.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was listening to the football game on the radio yesterday and I swear I heard EZ Buckets yelling "Rhody, Rhody, Rhody". Steve thought it was him too.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I was listening to the football game on the radio yesterday and I swear I heard EZ Buckets yelling "Rhody, Rhody, Rhody". Steve thought it was him too.
You did it was him. He got the mic in the 4th quarter and go the fans going.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Does anybody know if URI is looking into selling beer at its concessions? This would be a huge revenue generating feature and fans would love it. Let’s go URI, keep up as we need this revenue and add to the fan experience.
They aren’t. The concession line is so slow for basic items. They need to look at other venue’s process. It was ridiculous yesterday at halftime of the football game.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

CT Rhody wrote: 5 years ago Does anybody know if URI is looking into selling beer at its concessions? This would be a huge revenue generating feature and fans would love it. Let’s go URI, keep up as we need this revenue and add to the fan experience.
They aren’t. The concession line is so slow for basic items. They need to look at other venue’s process. It was ridiculous yesterday at halftime of the football game.
Agreed, the concessions operations are the worst at the Ryan, it’s embarrassing. They need new management and processes and more than likely more staff to become respectable again.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What a ridiculous take on selling beer at the Rc. Of course they should sell beer. And I agree the concessions are horrid. Haven’t eaten there in years.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Most patrons want service at the same time at the concession stands at half-time. You can't over-staff for this short window. The option is to sell in the stands. Do we want this?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago Most patrons want service at the same time at the concession stands at half-time. You can't over-staff for this short window. The option is to sell in the stands. Do we want this?
Why couldn’t we allow beer sales in the back of the bars but allow patrons to take the beer to their seats? That would work. Plus use technology to speed the process along, like POS systems etc.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Easily solved. They can place mobile beer carts in the concourse like it is done at every other venue. Most food concession stands don't sell beer. There is much more involved here. For some reason, the Ryan Center catering/concessions purchase the beer sold in the Rhody Pub from Wakefield Liquors. There is very little profit being generated right now as presently constituted. I'm sure someone from the Athletic Department who is on this forum can elaborate. I don't want to come across as negative.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe Wakefield Liquiors is a sponsor. I don’t know. I am sure if they had the beer stands that vendor would probably sponsor as well. I always wondered if the restrictions on beer sales (the gaurded curtained off area) had something to do with an on campus facility and under aged students. This is the state of RI the leader in unusual laws/regulations.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe Wakefield Liquiors is a sponsor. I don’t know. I am sure if they had the beer stands that vendor would probably sponsor as well. I always wondered if the restrictions on beer sales (the gaurded curtained off area) had something to do with an on campus facility and under aged students. This is the state of RI the leader in unusual laws/regulations.
Gotta agree with your state of RI comment. Maybe the state will have a pot station before beer.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe Wakefield Liquiors is a sponsor. I don’t know. I am sure if they had the beer stands that vendor would probably sponsor as well. I always wondered if the restrictions on beer sales (the gaurded curtained off area) had something to do with an on campus facility and under aged students. This is the state of RI the leader in unusual laws/regulations.
you're right about the reason why, just not the source of it.

the RC being dry is a carryover from Carothers and his extremely strict rules.

As a response to the whole "#1 party school" days he swung the pendulum as far as he could the other way in the on campus rules. The alcohol at the RC was a casualty of this. Unfortunately its not an easy process to move the pendulum back towards the middle.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
you're right about the reason why, just not the source of it.

the RC being dry is a carryover from Carothers and his extremely strict rules.

As a response to the whole "#1 party school" days he swung the pendulum as far as he could the other way in the on campus rules. The alcohol at the RC was a casualty of this. Unfortunately its not an easy process to move the pendulum back towards the middle.
So true. His policies simply put all the drinking off campus, though.
0 x