Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Thanks ATP.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Sellouts create an atmosphere conducive to raising funds in other ways....

...I know I am in the minority but I would have no objection to paying a seat license donation for each of my season tickets to insure that I have my seats....this would be in addition to donating money yearly to Rhody athletics...

...if seats are plentiful and readily available the seat license wouldn't generate enough cash.....

....I want Dan Hurley to be the most important coach in the history of the University....and to become the most important coach of the most important basketball school in RI and then New England....I'm not asking for too much am I ???
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

With the line/concessions issues...they have one POS system on ether side of a concession. That’s inexcusable.

No matter if you have the people serving you sprinting to get stuff, serving one person at a time in a line of 50 people will take an hour.

They need to add more setups.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

KevanBoyles wrote:To me the concessions problem sounds like one of compensation structure for the vendor. Do they still bid for the right to have a business that operates 16 times a year for a total of less than 100 hours like they did 40 years ago? If so, therein lies the problem. Once you pony up the bid $$$, your margin is so thin there is no room to hire additional people, improve service, etc. and you don’t care. You just want to make your nut and not lose your shirt because one bad night will ruin your entire year and you end up working for nothing. The school and the public would be much better served if the concessions were run on a profit sharing basis where more sales are everyone’s goal. Maybe that’s the case and i’m all wet but something is telling me I’m not.
This should be run by student groups, you have talented college students looking for beer money and business experience, what’s so hard about this?
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Said it once, said it a million times. The concourse area and that entire corner of the stadium should be sectioned off into its own pub space. Way less constricted with no upper deck overhead and a significantly clearer view with no handicapped seating directly in front of the viewing area, and it could easily handle the demand of both endzones combined if properly designed.

Seems like that could be a possibility with minimal investment. A bar along the current rail, a handful of permanent high top tables and a serving area/beer storage would suffice and it would be significantly better than the tiny opening we have to watch through now.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

the_one_mike wrote:Said it once, said it a million times. The concourse area and that entire corner of the stadium should be sectioned off into its own pub space. Way less constricted with no upper deck overhead and a significantly clearer view with no handicapped seating directly in front of the viewing area, and it could easily handle the demand of both endzones combined if properly designed.

Seems like that could be a possibility with minimal investment. A bar along the current rail, a handful of permanent high top tables and a serving area/beer storage would suffice and it would be significantly better than the tiny opening we have to watch through now.
Or they could treat everyone like adults and allow beer to be sold and taken to seats. They already do it for concerts. It's unconscionable that they don't do it for games.

The pub set-up is embarrassingly small-time. Those ugly dividers cut the walkway down by a third and it looks like shit.

4 more home games, more than likely all sell outs. FIGURE. IT. OUT.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm sorry but the idea of having students run the concessions is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. This isn't some little league snack stand operation here. If you think its bad now I am willing to bet that would be much worse.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

But they're looking for beer money, it's a no-brainer!!!
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the_one_mike wrote:Said it once, said it a million times. The concourse area and that entire corner of the stadium should be sectioned off into its own pub space. Way less constricted with no upper deck overhead and a significantly clearer view with no handicapped seating directly in front of the viewing area, and it could easily handle the demand of both endzones combined if properly designed.

I have been saying this for awhile also.. My idea is very similar but I would turn it into something more nicer - a typical sports pub feel w lots of RHODY stuff, etc

You can then transform existing into pub into a concession stand type setup or beer garden where you purchase and bring back to your seat

THINK BIG
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Then, to handle larger crowds and make more $, you eliminate the press area and turn that into seats..

Put the press on the baseline like every other team does
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......bring back the retired Rhody mascot on some Red Bull.........
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ha.. like my avatar...

love the old rhody mascot

little known fact.. i once "tried out" to be the mascot

had to "don" the rhody head and all

stupid fools didn't see the talent they had in me...
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the band......improved or not, I do recall some recognition for the leader/conductor at an earlier game this season......she not doing that next year......so maybe new blood will bring a different gig......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Everything comes down to better run concessions, allowing beer and wine at your seats, and vastly improved WiFi throughout the arena....the rest I don't care about....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

they have concession stands?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Now that we're retired, we usually arrive early. We'll hit the concession stands before the game starts and then avoid them during the game and especially at halftime. I know this isn't the answer for most of you, but it's the least stressful gameday experience. Just get their as early as possible.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Unread postby section(105) » 3 hours ago

.......bring back the retired Rhody mascot on some Red Bull.........
1 x

COULD NOT AGREE MORE.

heard he prefers red bull and jager.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It's pretty sad how in 2018, The Ryan Center does not have working WiFi / cell service. Inexcusable.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:I'm sorry but the idea of having students run the concessions is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. This isn't some little league snack stand operation here. If you think its bad now I am willing to bet that would be much worse.

They don't "RUN" the concessions. Centerplate, one of the largest hospitality companies in the world, manages the concessions. Students are just working the stands. No concession stand in the nation has "high level" people at the stands as the jobs are menial and the pay low wage. Given this and the location of the Ryan Center on a college campus, it should not be a surprise that students are employed at the stands. Has anyone ever been to McCoy Stadium, the stands there are mostly staffed by Pawtucket high school kids.

If the concession stands at the Ryan Center have issues, it lies at the feet of the management, not the low level staffers. Perhaps the configuration and equipment in them are not right or optimal. Perhaps the staff is not properly trained. Perhaps not enough inventory has been ordered. All these issues are however the domain of the company and higher level people that mange the concessions.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I'm sorry but the idea of having students run the concessions is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. This isn't some little league snack stand operation here. If you think its bad now I am willing to bet that would be much worse.

They don't "RUN" the concessions. Centerplate, one of the largest hospitality companies in the world, manages the concessions. Students are just working the stands. No concession stand in the nation has "high level" people at the stands as the jobs are menial and the pay low wage. Given this and the location of the Ryan Center on a college campus, it should not be a surprise that students are employed at the stands. Has anyone ever been to McCoy Stadium, the stands there are mostly staffed by Pawtucket high school kids.

If the concession stands at the Ryan Center have issues, it lies at the feet of the management, not the low level staffers. Perhaps the configuration and equipment in them are not right or optimal. Perhaps the staff is not properly trained. Perhaps not enough inventory has been ordered. All these issues are however the domain of the company and higher level people that mange the concessions.
I think you misunderstood my post. I am well aware of Centerplate and how these things work. I was replying to a few of the people above who suggested the answer to fix these issues was to "turn it over to grad students".
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I need to share some comments about the new security measures at the Ryan Center, especially as we enter this new world of regular sell-outs.

30 minutes before the Duquesne game and the PC game, the security line to enter the Ryan Center north lobby extended to the street.

If we have limited security resources and have to go through this charade so the Ryan Center can have a lower insurance costs, why do the security staff waste time on toddlers and Kindergartners and the very elderly?

My 2yr old and 1st grader were security wanded front and back, after opening their coats, upon entry to the Bona game.

This past Saturday, a Korean War Vet (complete with his Korea War hat) with big hearing aids and a heavy button down coat was stopped and given a hard time by security right in front of me. The gentleman could not hear the instructions and his wife tried to shout them into his ear as the security guard requested he open his coat and remove all metal items. The veteran had who knows what in his coat -- coins, keys, etc -- and this took time. Once the threat of the gentleman's coat was cleared, the security guy started to ask about the vet's belt buckle! It took all of my might to keep cool and let the ridiculous process complete before it was my turn.

Friends and family of mine with very little kids have been turned away due to diaper bags which they readily offered up for a full inside screening. We're talking mothers with 1 yrs olds who are being carried under one arm and diaper bag over the other shoulder here.

I do not feel safer at all when we apply our security staff to these very young or very old patrons.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I need to share some comments about the new security measures at the Ryan Center, especially as we enter this new world of regular sell-outs.

30 minutes before the Duquesne game and the PC game, the security line to enter the Ryan Center north lobby extended to the street.

If we have limited security resources and have to go through this charade so the Ryan Center can have a lower insurance costs, why do the security staff waste time on toddlers and Kindergartners and the very elderly?

My 2yr old and 1st grader were security wanded front and back, after opening their coats, upon entry to the Bona game.

This past Saturday, a Korean War Vet (complete with his Korea War hat) with big hearing aids and a heavy button down coat was stopped and given a hard time by security right in front of me. The gentleman could not hear the instructions and his wife tried to shout them into his ear as the security guard requested he open his coat and remove all metal items. The veteran had who knows what in his coat -- coins, keys, etc -- and this took time. Once the threat of the gentleman's coat was cleared, the security guy started to ask about the vet's belt buckle! It took all of my might to keep cool and let the ridiculous process complete before it was my turn.

Friends and family of mine with very little kids have been turned away due to diaper bags which they readily offered up for a full inside screening. We're talking mothers with 1 yrs olds who are being carried under one arm and diaper bag over the other shoulder here.

I do not feel safer at all when we apply our security staff to these very young or very old patrons.
I had a security guard ask me why I was wearing a belt when the buckle set off the wand. If he'd rather me walk into the RC with my pants around my ankles, then oh well. I'm not complaining. I just thought it was a very odd question. No, he wasn't joking.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I am 10000% for strict security measures, no matter who it is in line.

Cannot be too safe in this day and age.
1 x
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Sounds to me that they have to open earlier and add more screeners.
2 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

I like this idea. I usually watch most games standing by the railing. The view is better than my season tickets. Still the obvious solution as many have said is just allow beer at your seat.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Its a little over the top for sure. When I was entering the Jane Gooddall honors symposium at the Ryan Center earlier this year they wouldn't allow students in who were required to be there for class because they had backpacks.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:I am 10000% for strict security measures, no matter who it is in line.

Cannot be too safe in this day and age.
Sure, activities that actually make the event safer should be done. Little kids and very elderly are not a threat and nobody is safer when they are scanned or their mothers are prevented from bringing in a diaper bag that can be screened and tagged as being safe.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote:Its a little over the top for sure. When I was entering the Jane Gooddall honors symposium at the Ryan Center earlier this year they wouldn't allow students in who were required to be there for class because they had backpacks.
I can see how if the majority of students are bringing backpacks they'd have to send them away. This is just poor communication and logistics bogged down by these new security requirements.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Then if I’m a bad guy I hide the IED in a diaper bag or on an elderly person or baby. These people are vicious. Bad idea not to screen everybody.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right... good ole infant IED. Diaper bag is a manageable item that can be manually screened as it done so many places.

The drive to the Ryan Center is where the risk lies -- not the event. Statistics are our friends.

People who feel like Kevan or Rhody15 have told me to "just show up an hour before the game". Right.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The security check is a PITA. It however is a reality in today's world. People need to have some patience. URI and the RC cannot add a lot of staff just for the 30 minute rush before tip-off. I am sure the process can be improved but part of the problem is also on fans. I have read that 70% of fans for URI games show up within the 20 minute period before tip. If fans do not like a long wait in line, I would suggest they get there a bit earlier and avoid all the hassle.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:I need to share some comments about the new security measures at the Ryan Center, especially as we enter this new world of regular sell-outs.

the bag policy is not a secret, and they give you a warning before even entering the line with signage spelling out what is allowed.

the policy is also no different than what is in place at Gillette. the difference is people going to the Ryan Center need to get used to and adjust to the new entry process.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

They need more entrances into the RC. Everyone funneling into the entrance on the North Lobby is crazy. You need to get there a half hour before a game to get to your seat in time.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Is the policy and enforcement making patrons safer? It's always easier to just turn our brains off and use zero tolerance policies, I get it. We as a society aren't able to find a smart balance?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I don’t understand why a majority of fans don’t try to show an hour to 30 minutes early? Doors only open an hour before tipoff, that’s barely enough time to drink two beverages pregame. This is another fan culture change topic that just takes time to cultivate and get used to. I have tickets to the Davidson game and plan on being there an hour early to enjoy a beverage and avoid the lines!
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Is the policy and enforcement making patrons safer? It's always easier to just turn our brains off and use zero tolerance policies, I get it. We as a society aren't able to find a smart balance?
Yes.

loopholes and gaps in policies are what get exploited by someone looking to inflict harm.

look at it this way. if someone knows they can get past the 1st security wall with an unchecked diaper bag, they will. The bag search inside doesnt matter when they have loaded guns ready to go in the bag.

You have now allowed someone to enter the building with loaded firearms or an IED. There is no resistance from there.

Side note, if the lines are long just walk under the football stands to the other side. That side is empty all the time as the majority are coming in from the main lots
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Is the policy and enforcement making patrons safer? It's always easier to just turn our brains off and use zero tolerance policies, I get it. We as a society aren't able to find a smart balance?
Not usually...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Yes.

loopholes and gaps in policies are what get exploited by someone looking to inflict harm.

look at it this way. if someone knows they can get past the 1st security wall with an unchecked diaper bag, they will. The bag search inside doesnt matter when they have loaded guns ready to go in the bag.

You have now allowed someone to enter the building with loaded firearms. There is no resistance from there.
Who is saying to screen bags inside? Again, reasonable policies can be developed. How many among us felt unsafe last season?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Iggy1979 wrote:They need more entrances into the RC. Everyone funneling into the entrance on the North Lobby is crazy. You need to get there a half hour before a game to get to your seat in time.
They should put the student entrance over on the south side and use all the north doors for other fans.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This makes sense to some degree but they don't want the students walking across the Ryan Center to the north endzone. No fast way there. That said, it may need to be done.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You can buy a top of the line, self-use POS system for $1000.

Here's a link even - http://www8.hp.com/us/en/retail-solutions/overview.html

You can buy a middle of the road system for half that price. The amount of extra money you would make by adding even just 6 more machines/staff to the 4 2nd floor concessions, would pay for itself before half time was over next Friday.

What everyone is saying on here is pretty accurate, most don't even bother eating or drinking anything because of the lines.

I can't tell you the last time I purchased anything from a concession inside the Ryan Center - but I know it hasn't been this season.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Iggy1979 wrote:They need more entrances into the RC. Everyone funneling into the entrance on the North Lobby is crazy. You need to get there a half hour before a game to get to your seat in time.
The Keaney entrance is a breeze.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Bee311
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Bee311 »

I completely understand additional security is needed, and I try to arrive early to avoid the lines. This weekend was the first time I had a negative experience in the line. The person scanning was perplexed by my husbands belt buckle and kept checking him. Apparently the small metal clasp on my bra was setting if off as well... that's a new one for me. Not sure how I can avoid that... I thought I was going to have to be padded down, but they eventually had me move through the line. I think the people doing the scanning may just need more training.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Visited the concession stand once last year (about 3 minutes before half time) to get a sprite to water down the pocket pub action and did the same once this year. Even if there are only two or three people in line, still takes a good while to get through. And now that they've added the Rise to the pub.... It's like the guy on Shark Tank says, "the RC concession stands are dead to me..." Would I like to gnosh some chicken tenders or a hot dog there once in a while? absolutely (you don't get a waist line like this from not eating), but can't even consider it under current conditions. It's weird, but other places seem to be able to figure out how to make it work. My recollection of UMass last year was that they were able to...will see what it's like tomorrow...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bee311 wrote:I completely understand additional security is needed, and I try to arrive early to avoid the lines. This weekend was the first time I had a negative experience in the line. The person scanning was perplexed by my husbands belt buckle and kept checking him. Apparently the small metal clasp on my bra was setting if off as well... that's a new one for me. Not sure how I can avoid that... I thought I was going to have to be padded down, but they eventually had me move through the line. I think the people doing the scanning may just need more training.
Sounds like the same guy who did me. I guess he doesn't wear belts.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
Bee311 wrote:I completely understand additional security is needed, and I try to arrive early to avoid the lines. This weekend was the first time I had a negative experience in the line. The person scanning was perplexed by my husbands belt buckle and kept checking him. Apparently the small metal clasp on my bra was setting if off as well... that's a new one for me. Not sure how I can avoid that... I thought I was going to have to be padded down, but they eventually had me move through the line. I think the people doing the scanning may just need more training.
Sounds like the same guy who did me. I guess he doesn't wear belts.
Elastic waist band is the way to go? (this is where we really need that face-to-palm emoji)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wow, belt buckles and small metal clasps on women's undergarments. We are all at risk!!

To reiterate, I am not asking that we remove metal wanding. I'm asking that we do it properly and efficiently to strike a balance at some enhanced security and patron experience.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Wow, belt buckles and small metal clasps on women's undergarments. We are all at risk!!

To reiterate, I am not asking that we remove metal wanding. I'm asking that we do it properly and efficiently to strike a balance at some enhanced security and patron experience.
they are, and dont forget this is still new for them too. There is a learning curve to the job itself as well as with the admins on the best set up for it.

security back ups happen everywhere when all the fans try to arrive in the same 15 min span.

Fenway always has long lines at all its gates, I've been stuck in lines at the Garden, and Gillette has bunch up issues too when fans all come right before kick off.

Its a fact of modern sports life, get used to it and adjust accordingly.
1 x
---
---
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
The Keaney entrance is a breeze.
SHHHHHHHHHHHH
1 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

The simple solution to the back up at the doors before a game is to put in walk through metal detectors. Obviously that can't happen until next year but it definitely needs to be put in place. I arrived 25 mins before the game and was in a line almost to the street. I also was asked if I had a belt on and had to show it to the screening person. It's absurd how slow the screening process is. I'm sure most if not all of us on here have been to Fenway Park for a sold out game or concert. You have more than 5 times the amount of people going in there and you never see a back up as to what we see when we break 5 thousand for a game at the Ryan Center.
1 x