Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The whole pub sitch is a cluster. We left our seats at the first whistle under two minutes to go before halftime. In Section 208, you can't really be closer to the pub than we are. Waited and waited and waited in line, for one cashier and one beer pour person...got served with 2 minutes to go before the second half started. So, the place is filled to capacity...and they got one person taking payment and another pouring beer and wine.... I think the only way they could possibly make it go slower is...if, they gave you the beer, and you weren't allowed to move until you finished it, and the line had to wait behind you and watch. Really, I think that's the only possible slow down option left, isn't it? Would be interested in hearing any other suggestions that could possibly make that process go any slower...

Awesome halftime...good grief...wanding inspections and rules be danged...this calls for the return of the pocket pub...
Do they still pour drinks for people? Every time I've been there they just give me the can and I grab a cup if I don't want to drink out of the can.

One thing they could do to speed the process up is making it cash only. I'm sure it would annoy a lot of people, myself included, but when I was there for the Bonnies game their credit card reader was taking forever to process payments which really slowed things down.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Is the machine on WiFi (inexcusable) or wired into the network?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I am happy to say I sent an email to the Ryan Center today about the WIFI and received a call back about it. They are aware of the issue and are working on putting in a professional sports arena WIFI system and also hopefully some cell signal boosters. They agreed that what hey have can’t handle the crowds now.

Pretty happy with the response.
5 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Can you send an email about the pub? Doesn't have to be professional sports arena quality operation.
Basic "minor league (Class A even) baseball stadium" style would be a huge upgrade. :lol:
1 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

ATPTourFan wrote:Is the machine on WiFi (inexcusable) or wired into the network?
I asked about this when my card took a solid 2-3 minutes to process, and yes, it is off the wifi.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Holy crap. No way. Run a $10 Ethernet cable.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

StadiumQuest Review
Ryan Center (University of Rhode Island)

https://www.stadiumquest.com/a10/uri
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The concession situation at the Ryan makes this review flawed in my opinion.....

Woefully inadequate from a staffing standpoint when attendance is 4000 never mind 7200..and don't even talk to those fans who want a beer at their seat during the game....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seemed like a fair review...mentioned/dinged the slowness of concessions and the restrictions for alcohol...pretty spot on...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Variety gets ranked a 1 out of 5. But maybe they have a limited menu and all stands exactly the same for mass production and speed? Nah.

Speed gets a 2 out of 5.
Our board has been very accurate on the issue. Need new management. Bid it out.

3. Variety: The Ryan Center doesn’t offer much in terms of variety. You can find the same concession stand at a few different locations throughout the arena. All offer the same products. (1/5)

4. Fast: Now this is based off of one of their bigger games, but it did take a while for the line to move. Only three employees were working and the cashier was the same person serving you. Could have used an extra pair of hands to keep the line moving. (2/5)
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Who wrote this?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I’m still confused why working at the Ryan Center is partially staffed by a campus job for students trying to either get beer money or pay tuition. Doesn’t make any sense.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I cannot get on my phone at ALL at the RC. I've texted people sitting 20 feet away from me and it's taken the entire game for the text to go through (guess waving for attention still works). Calls. Forget about that as well. Rhody Pub, although I appreciate the hospitality of those who are employed there, it is not properly run to accommodate the number of people who want to be there. Now that we're headed for another sell-out tomorrow, it will be a nice learning curve for them for how much they need to improve. Also, poor decision to have one pub closed for a private function last week. If that's the route they want to go, serve beer & wine at additional concession stands.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Clear out room up top for private functions if they need to. The pubs need to remain open, and expanded for that matter. there is room. they are leaving a lot of $ on the table. people give up that otherwise would buy another beer or two.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

York reaching all new low for announcing during Duquesne game. Stinking up the joint in a big way.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed. Embarrassing.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Somehow he’s shortened the name to Duke
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

the loooooooonnnnnnngggggggg drawn out announcing of the names seemed longer than ever today. Not really bothersome, just sounded kinda silly.

The big/good news...the pub finally has an acceptable beer available. A big long overdue welcome to Whaler's RISE. Not the best beer in America, but a gigantic step up from anything else they've had. Thanks for that Rhody!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wow, good news. Bad news is RISE was suddenly not available in the Alumni Lounge!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We’re still bitching about the goddamn PA announcer?

My god I mean how petty are you people?
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Relax, Francis...I just think he's sounded +silly than ever lately. Would rather have that than no announcer, but the truth is...there's only one Michael Buffer...and the harder he tries to imitate, the dumber it sounds. Nothing to get shorts in a bunch over either way though...
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The concessions were an embarrassment today. Dunkin ran out of milk and stands couldn't keep up with hot dog demand. If Center plate or whatever they're called can't provide proper concessions then they need to be replaced. It's to the point where they're so bad that they must be on the verge of not fulfilling their contract with us
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

Great to see Whaler’s available today! Seems like they were selling a ton of it.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The concessions were an embarrassment today. Dunkin ran out of milk and stands couldn't keep up with hot dog demand. If Center plate or whatever they're called can't provide proper concessions then they need to be replaced. It's to the point where they're so bad that they must be on the verge of not fulfilling their contract with us
I don't have any specific inside knowledge of the Ryan Center concessions, but I do have a bit of knowledge about Centerplate specifically and I know that they handle concessions for several professional sports teams stadiums/arenas so it's not like they can't handle volume and big crowds. It has to be something thats more about their setup with the Ryan Center itself. Whatever that may be.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I hope the ppl in charge realize what a debacle the concession stands are..

It's not like its it fixable - yet year after year they don't fix it

missing out on revenues at both concession stand and RHODY pub
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So I made it into the pub ,somehow, then took two steps into the beer line which was longer than the outside line and gave up then left. Plus my buddies were left outside since I was the last one to get in. Can we complain somehow to the Ryan Center?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Its pretty sad that such a beautiful area has such poorly run concessions(both beer and food). Its to the point where I just plan on not even attempting to purchase anything. The anxiety of standing in a line for something and, in the pub's case possibly not even getting a beer, takes away from the overall enjoyment of the actual game.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

One strategy I employ for the Pub that has worked everytime is this. I get there right when the doors open and have had zero problems getting drinks in a timely manner with friends.The problem begins for the pubs right around game time, it’s a nightmare from then on out.

The solution is to allow beer sales through the arena, you could still run the sales through the pubs but allow people to leave with their beer after purchasing it. One per person, let’s get this done URI.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Whoever designed that arena must have expected crowds of 3500 people at each game....I don't see a physical set up solution.....they have already created stand alone popcorn and soda stands and that isn't even helping....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote:I hope the ppl in charge realize what a debacle the concession stands are..

It's not like its it fixable - yet year after year they don't fix it

missing out on revenues at both concession stand and RHODY pub
It is a classic management issue

Change the Management

Give this to the URI MBA Students as a Project

Is any of this surprising going into this season? No and that is the problem. Not like nobody knew ahead of time attendance like this wasn't a possibility

Besides, the problem exists with crowds of 5000
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......need self service grab and go/swipe type set up.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:We’re still bitching about the goddamn PA announcer?

As with everything in this basketball program, we should be aspiring to have the best in-game atmosphere and operations. While everything else on the court has improved, Dan Yorke now feels the 7000+ fans are coming to hear him embellish every player's name and every event down to the call of a ONE.... AND .... ONE......

As we are paying him for this role, it is right to expect that he improve as the product on the floor has. I see him regressing into a caricature. Send him some tapes of a professional PA announcer like Mike Mancuso -- a guy who took the job seriously because it was the path for him to be behind the microphone for radio and TV broadcasts.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:

As with everything in this basketball program, we should be aspiring to have the best in-game atmosphere and operations. While everything else on the court has improved, Dan Yorke now feels the 7000+ fans are coming to hear him embellish every player's name and every event down to the call of a ONE.... AND .... ONE......

As we are paying him for this role, it is right to expect that he improve as the product on the floor has. I see him regressing into a caricature. Send him some tapes of a professional PA announcer like Mike Mancuso -- a guy who took the job seriously because it was the path for him to be behind the microphone for radio and TV broadcasts.
Yesterday was one of the first times I found this even noticeable on the TV broadcast. It was so over the top. I definitely thought to myself "somebody feels like the sell out crowd and national tv audience are here for him"
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I have offered this before, I think his ego is not left at the door, and he views himself as being the voice of the RC, not just delivering the basics.....the problem is he already has the day job in radio broadcasting......paid to talk.....I agree that on TV yesterday you could hear him being over the top.....needs to dial it back.....edit.......less is more Dan.....
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:

...sums it up perfect.... before he wasn't 'that' noticeable...and while I wouldn't say it detracts from my enjoyment of the game, it is in no way shape or form a 'value add'....
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Anybody here remember the 76ers' Dave Zinkoff?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ve only been to the RC once and only for Rhody Rukus in October, 2016. How hard (or easy) would it be to add additional seating? Was it designed to add additional seating at a later date? It seems that there is a lot of wasted space in the corner where the video board is located. Is this because that is where the pub/concessions are located?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote:I’ve only been to the RC once and only for Rhody Rukus in October, 2016. How hard (or easy) would it be to add additional seating? Was it designed to add additional seating at a later date? It seems that there is a lot of wasted space in the corner where the video board is located. Is this because that is where the pub/concessions are located?
We had our first conference “sell out” in 10 years, and every seat was not even taken.

No need to add seating.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote:
KevanBoyles wrote:I’ve only been to the RC once and only for Rhody Rukus in October, 2016. How hard (or easy) would it be to add additional seating? Was it designed to add additional seating at a later date? It seems that there is a lot of wasted space in the corner where the video board is located. Is this because that is where the pub/concessions are located?
We had our first conference “sell out” in 10 years, and every seat was not even taken.

No need to add seating.
But every seat was paid for. That is a sellout.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Dan is guaranteed a portion of the gate. This a major part of his compensation. If we want him to stay we have to be creative in ways to generate $$ over what we do now. One way to grow the $$ he earns (and his staff) is to increase the gate. Yes this was the first conference sell out in 10 years but if we want him to stay and he generates sell outs on a regular basis, we have to be ahead of the curve in generating $$ to pay him. If he does very well but comes to the end of the line in ways his compensation can be increased, other jobs start to become more attractive. An extra 1,000 seats could add $500k to $1m to the bottom line and all of a sudden we are much more competitive with the big boys. The increase in potential gate may be one of the reasons the WVU is scheduled at Mohegan Sun.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's really more accurate to say Dan's guaranteed compensation is heavily paid for by gate receipts. He gets paid on a schedule no matter what the attendance is. The school needs attendance to be good so they can pay Dan without needing to dip into the URI Foundation as a contingency. This season's attendance should prevent any withdrawals from the Foundation, I would think.

Much easier to add revenue through more and better corporate partnerships, NCAA credits, and eventually, some kind of ticket price increases. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Thanks ATP. Good stuff. That being said, the better the attendance the more $$$ they can guarantee in future extensions of his contract. I’m sure there is no one panacea. Everything should done to keep making progress.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Will also be nice to have two years of NCAA credits coming in.
0 x
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

How much more revenue do you think we would have if we actually sold beer at concessions?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote:Thanks ATP. Good stuff. That being said, the better the attendance the more $$$ they can guarantee in future extensions of his contract. I’m sure there is no one panacea. Everything should done to keep making progress.
The payback time to offset such a major modification to the Ryan Center would not come soon enough, right?'

We are lucky to have a just-right arena. VCU is not expanding the Stu, but sustained winning has enabled new revenue streams from seat licenses and increased ticket prices which have not interrupted their 100+ home sellout streak.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:It's really more accurate to say Dan's guaranteed compensation is heavily paid for by gate receipts. He gets paid on a schedule no matter what the attendance is. The school needs attendance to be good so they can pay Dan without needing to dip into the URI Foundation as a contingency. This season's attendance should prevent any withdrawals from the Foundation, I would think.

Much easier to add revenue through more and better corporate partnerships, NCAA credits, and eventually, some kind of ticket price increases. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
true

The attendance is great, but a lot of these incremental seat sales have been $10 be a student again, or $60 for 4 tickets, 4 popcorns and 4 cokes (sorry about the waiting :lol: ).

The big money and intangible benefits are in the publicity of the school, increased applications to go to URI, increased price of season tickets, increased number of season tickets, let need to have to offer $10 seats or BOGO type deals, corporate partnerships, Alumni donations, etc
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

ATP, Dan maxes out his gate comp this year at $640k and will get the same through 2021 on the current contract amendment. Has the Foundation had to come out of pocket to meet any prior year guarantee? If not this year with approximately 16k additional attendance, we should generate at least another several hundred thousand to the bottom line which should mean we have more $$ available for another potential amendment/extension.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

To me the concessions problem sounds like one of compensation structure for the vendor. Do they still bid for the right to have a business that operates 16 times a year for a total of less than 100 hours like they did 40 years ago? If so, therein lies the problem. Once you pony up the bid $$$, your margin is so thin there is no room to hire additional people, improve service, etc. and you don’t care. You just want to make your nut and not lose your shirt because one bad night will ruin your entire year and you end up working for nothing. The school and the public would be much better served if the concessions were run on a profit sharing basis where more sales are everyone’s goal. Maybe that’s the case and i’m all wet but something is telling me I’m not.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Kevan, I have no actual data to answer your question of whether the Foundation has been used to supplement operational revenue.
1 x