Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 1 week ago

ATPTourFan wrote:
Bee311 wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:it would be great if they had beer from Whalers Brewing there, since its in town

Not sure about the pub but they had Whalers in the Alumni Lounge :)

Thrilled The RISE is in the Lounge for $5 and no line. There's a perk.

But I asked if it was also in the Pubs, and the server told me the Lounge is run by URI Catering Services, separate from general Ryan Center concessions.

Unfortunately no RISE in the pubs. Sam Adams and Harpoon was about as good as it got. Lines to get in, lines to get a drink. Good problem to have, I guess, but I think they need bigger rooms. The capacity, I think, is 130 and 104. That's not a lot when you have 6000-plus people in the RC.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

Blue Man
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Blue Man » 1 week ago

I will continue to wonder why we don't sell booze at all concessions and/or beer carts.

It's not an NCAA rule, NCAA doesn't control regular season games.

There is beer and wine available in 4 places in the Ryan Center.

This weird puritan moratorium on booze is now just making everything more difficult - longer lines, people missing game action, etc, etc.

People want to give this school money and we're just saying - nah. Let's half ass this and kind of do it but piss everyone off in the process. The current set up pisses off the drinkers for affecting their game experience, pisses off the people who believe alcohol is the devil, and everyone loses.

In the words of Ron Swanson: "never half ass two things, whole ass one thing."
6 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

ElmCityRhody
Tom Garrick

Unread postby ElmCityRhody » 1 week ago

HEAR HEAR
0 x

NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 1 week ago

Blue Man wrote:I will continue to wonder why we don't sell booze at all concessions and/or beer carts.

This weird puritan moratorium on booze is now just making everything more difficult - longer lines, people missing game action, etc, etc.

People want to give this school money and we're just saying - nah. Let's half ass this and kind of do it but piss everyone off in the process. The current set up pisses off the drinkers for affecting their game experience, pisses off the people who believe alcohol is the devil, and everyone loses.

Blue Man truly gets it.....Can this please just be re-posted every 20 minutes until something happens?
2 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 week ago

The other part of this I was thinking about as I was watching people file into their seats on Friday was that there has to be 200 people or so in the pubs before the games, if not more. I think it would be better for everyone if more people were in their seats prior to the game starting, for a variety of reasons. As things are now, people have to decide whether they want to have a beer or they want to be in their seats. I can't imagine the rationale for why our fans are forced into that decision.
4 x

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 1 week ago

For most fans. its a long drive to Kingston and never easy to get on campus, but I still feel like Rhody fans take forever to get to their seats. Barely making it for the lineups.
1 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

bigappleram
Sly Williams

Unread postby bigappleram » 1 week ago

IMO there are a list of about 20 other things the program could execute better before the Pub was addressed.
Actually marketing the program beyond online banner ads might be #1. I have 19 more too, I would tell you over a beer at the Pub but I digress....
2 x

GansettSummer
Michael Andersen

Unread postby GansettSummer » 1 week ago

Blue Man wrote:I will continue to wonder why we don't sell booze at all concessions and/or beer carts.

I heard from an insider within the dept. that athletics and the Ryan Center have been trying to get full alcohol sales at games. They have been serving through the stands and letting people drink in their seats for some Ryan Center shows in the last few years but have been prevented in doing so at basketball for whatever strange reason.
0 x

NorthernRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread postby NorthernRamFan » 1 week ago

Dilly Dilly!
1 x

ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 week ago

My understanding is the general sale of alcohol during basketball games requires approval from President Dooley.
0 x

NorthernRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread postby NorthernRamFan » 1 week ago

Dooley... he’s dragging his feet, hopefully he starts looking at the bottom line!
1 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby TruePoint » 1 week ago

I have respect for Dooley's role as more than the President of a basketball team. He has to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the institution as a whole. A lot goes into that, and I think we have fairly outlined the "pro" arguments for going full beer and wine sales at men's basketball games, but there is more to it than that.
1 x

section(105)
Carlton Owens

Unread postby section(105) » 1 week ago

......at the Dunk last nite, the trash back an forth between a few Gopher fans and the PC fans was fine, fun and spirited....until late in game when a liquid was tossed toward the most vocal Gopher fan by a group of exiting PC fans.....my guess is that liquid was not water.....full beer at the RC.....not sure that is way to go for a campus venue....
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 1 week ago

Sction (105), it looked like on TV that with about 1.5 minutes to go there was a fight going on. Most fans in the Dunk were standing to look at the fight that appeared to be behind the basket at one end. PC Board mentions a Minnesota an holding a sign that people didn't care for.
Did anyone get hurt?
How long did the fight go on for and how many involved?
0 x

section(105)
Carlton Owens

Unread postby section(105) » 1 week ago

......it appears to me it was mostly push/shove kindabout, I did not see the Gopher fan at center of event holding anything.....no one appeared to get hurt, arena security on it quickly, went on for a few minutes where PPD sorted things out and took two folks out(with assistance of course)....I think the liquid tosser was long gone down the concourse by the time the PPD arrived on scene.....the scene was across court from me, in the court corner area behind the Gopher bench, say 6-8 rows from court, the PC fans were early exiting in front of the Gopher fan.....whom seemed upset over the fact the liquid tosser was not held up and the fans around the fan taken out seemed to try to explain that to the security folks.....the only sign I was was a PC fan holding one which said....”Pitino paid me to be here.....”..... hard to tell how many were directly involved, saw two taken out....not good.....AND let me add this; the Gopher fan was probably not wishing a good evening to the exiting PC fans, and as we have all seen time and time again as the alcohol content goes up, the IQ goes down no matter which color clothing the fans wear...
0 x

Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”