A-10 Board: URI predicted to go 8-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

A-10 Board: URI predicted to go 8-21

Unread post by RF1 »

A poster by the ID WH makes record predictions each season for all the A-10 teams. His picks for the OOC are tracked and typically are pretty close to what transpires. He has picked Rhody to go 5-8 in the OOC schedule and 3-13 in the the league for an overall record of 8-21. Our Rams would miss the A-10 Tournament based on this.

This is how he sees it:

RHODE ISLAND

L - NOV. 9 NORFOLK STATE (HALL OF FAME TIPOFF CLASSIC)
L - Nov. 12 at Virginia Tech
L - Nov. 17 vs. Ohio State (HoF Classic)
L - Nov. 18 vs. Seton Hall/Washington (HoF Classic)
W- NOV. 23 LOYOLA (MD) (HoF Classic)
L - Nov. 25 at Auburn
L- NOV. 28 GEORGE MASON
W- DEC. 1 VERMONT
L - Dec. 6 at Providence
W- DEC. 15 SMU
W- DEC. 22 GEORGIA STATE
L - Dec. 27 at Saint Mary’s
W- JAN. 4 BROWN

You can check out the A-10 URi record thread at:
http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic ... ecast.html
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: A-10 Board: URI predicted to go 8-21

Unread post by neil »

Norfolk lost four of five starters and Loyola returns four from a very good team. Does this guy do any research - at least switch the results of those two games.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Not to put this guys methodology on trial, but what if he assumed that URI will struggle out of the gate with a new coach, new team and new system, and they might be able to pull it together in time to surprise Loyola at home?

I don't know much about this guy's accuracy, but he could have a reason for thinking that. For what it's worth, I think we steal a few more games in the conference, but start 0-7 or 1-6.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I still say we win 10-12 games, pretty evenly split between OOC and league games. As long as everyone stays healthy, we will surprise a few people.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I think Hurley will pull off an unpset or two early on. This team will be prepared even if under manned.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think his OOC predictions are pretty solid. Maybe not the exact games, but the record. As for the conference, I think if the team really comes together during the early portion of the season then we can do better then 3 wins.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It would sure help to know if iPhone can play this year. Is that his nickname?

Of course I'm talking about the very strong Nigerian student, Ifeanyi Onyekaba, who just enrolled at the last minute.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I was thinking that, ATP.
That big body could change the way this team battles inside on offense and defense.
How can anyone predict anything, without knowing the makeup of the team?
If the big guy gets eligible, you'd have a frontline of him, Aaman, Hare and Brooks.
Nick and Malone could be 3's, and would be the scorers up front.
Bigby seems to be a useful reserve.
Munford is the guy who intrigues me. Supposedly a knockdown shooter, he fits the 2 perfectly.
Powell at point, with TJ backing up both guards.
That's actually not a bad team.
With the coaching and conditioning they'll get, who knows?
Again, much of it hinges on the big guy getting eligible.
Could be a better year than initially thought.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rodfromcranston wrote:I was thinking that, ATP.
That big body could change the way this team battles inside on offense and defense.
How can anyone predict anything, without knowing the makeup of the team?
If the big guy gets eligible, you'd have a frontline of him, Aaman, Hare and Brooks.
Nick and Malone could be 3's, and would be the scorers up front.
Bigby seems to be a useful reserve.
Munford is the guy who intrigues me. Supposedly a knockdown shooter, he fits the 2 perfectly.
Powell at point, with TJ backing up both guards.
That's actually not a bad team.
With the coaching and conditioning they'll get, who knows?
Again, much of it hinges on the big guy getting eligible.
Could be a better year than initially thought.
#1 I agree Rod. I don't think you can really trust these predictions because there are so many new faces, there could be as many as 5 new faces. I think the same thing about Dayton, UD has 6 new faces this year, 2 transfers plus 4 freshmen.

#2 URI could be better than people think. Again, look at all the new faces, who knows?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The team improved from last year. I get we're young, but Hurley will probably win a handful of games by himself and coaching, nevermind how prepped his team is. No one in the A10 has a wealth of experience against him, that surprise may steal another few wins. He beat Pitt with WAGNER. He got WAGNER to have a top 40 rpi in OOC play last year.

I realize that was year 2, but it was still Wagner, and he probably has the talent level here and eligible now, that he did last year after his reconstruction was underway.

Standing by this:

Wins: Bonnies, fordham, charlotte, brown, uvm, georgia state, loyola, norfolk st

Less likely wins: dayton, la salle, joes, auburn, SMU,

Stealing: Wash/Seton Hall, PC and UMASS at home.

Yeah I realize I sound crazy, but I can actually see this happening. 9-4 OOC. 7-9 in the A-10. 16-13 this year.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

my sources tell me Munford is a player, and will make an impact immediately. We desperately need help at the 2, so that would be a big win if true.

Also agree the fate of Onyekaba makes a big difference, just in terms of more minutes, more fouls and another big body to get rebounds and play defense. Without him we are going to get beat up real bad inside this year due to massive inexperience and limited bodies.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I love the optimism guys. As Rod said how can you predict when you don't even know who the players will be. I can't wait to see the new guys especially the big guys. Hope the big O can play right away.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm not sure if there is a prediction out there that would truly surprise me with this team. Maybe 20+ wins, but that's about it. I wouldn't put anything past this year's team because there are so many unknowns, in terms of the true talent level of the players, how little or how much the coach was getting out of them last year, the uncertainty of any new players in general, how the rest of the A-10 has developed, etc.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Munford does seem like he could be a bit of an X factor. I know almost nothing about him, but the few things I have heard is kind of along the lines of "watch out for this kid, could surprise some people".

I certainly hope thats the case.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I think another big question mark is Malone. I really think we have yet to see how good he actually can play. He's lost a bunch of weight and looks to be in fantastic shape from what I've seen.

At this point there is too much uncertainty for anyone (expert or not) to accurately predict how many wins we'll have. Every single aspect of the team is so drastically different from last season it's impossible to read.

Even the holdovers like Nik and Powell are big question marks. Nik was clearly frustrated and clashed with Baron so much last season that having the new regime in place, could drive him to excel well beyond expectations.

I'm going to withhold any predictions until I see them on the floor.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I can go on record having seen him play a couple times at URI...Munford is a player.

Until he's declared eligible by the NCAA, I just assume Ifeanyi Onyekaba isn't playing for us this year.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Luke's got it! THAT'S the nickname for Onyekaba !

THE BIG O! (apologies to Oscar Robertson)

It's perfect! Short and to the point.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I have a very good feeling about Malone. I don't know why, but I just think he's gonna make an all-league team at the end of the season.
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That would be awesome! We need a few guys to have all-A10 level performances this year to make up for the lack of bodies.

Isn't that what Dan Hurley said in his A10 media day interview. It's posted somewhere on this board.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:I have a very good feeling about Malone. I don't know why, but I just think he's gonna make an all-league team at the end of the season.
I had a very good feeling about him last season as well. I thought he would come in and be a difference maker. Obviously that didn't happen, but I am still holding out hope that he puts it all together this season.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I def think we win at least 10 and possibly if things go well maybe 15
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

WH has now amended his URI prediction and reversed the W-L predictions on the Rams' games against Norfolk State and Loyola.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

EasyEdBrown wrote:I can go on record having seen him play a couple times at URI...Munford is a player.

Until he's declared eligible by the NCAA, I just assume Ifeanyi Onyekaba isn't playing for us this year.

That is what a lot of people around the team called Orion.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody Guy wrote:
EasyEdBrown wrote:I can go on record having seen him play a couple times at URI...Munford is a player.

That is what a lot of people around the team called Orion.
I was thinking the same. I'm going with If or Big If
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Good thread! When yout think about who the leading scorer on the team might be, it would be nice if it came from the two guard. Both Malone and X have the potential to add points. Hopefully, we will have a defense/press that will force turnovers into points. Howard Smith seems to be the last person who was an effective ball hawk to help a suspect offense.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Nik leads us in scoring with 16 ppg
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

It would be a real shame if we didn't make the A10 Tournament at the Barclay's -- I have been waiting for that since it was announced a few years back!
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed, but we would need to finish better than 4 other teams, if I understand correctly.
0 x