Thorr Bjorn to Remain AD at Rhode Island

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: Reports: Thorr Bjorn is the new AD at Xavier

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I have mixed feelings on the rumor of Thorr leaving.

He has brought in good coaches for the most part. It must be hard knowing that the resources are not present to reward success.

But,,,,,,, if I were the URI CFO, I might be concerned about what looks like a trend toward spending tomorrows athletic department income, today.
The types of basketball promotions make me believe that we are deficit spending. That concept will hit the budgeting wall at sometime.
If I were the current AD, that alone might be the impetous to run, before I am let go........[a different twist on this story]
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What basketball promotions? You mean hiring a competent coach?
Giving away tee shirts? Subway giveaways? Hurley giving pizza to students?
Not sure what you're talking about, that would make an AD leave.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

We're just throwing all kinds of shit against the wall today.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

most of the giveaways are sponsored and URI doesn't pay for (or much of) them, hence all the ads on the shirts
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

If anything, URI Athletics went very light on the in-game promotions this year for basketball, knowing that next year will be the "full court press" to get RI'ers attention to what's happening with Rhody Hoop under the Hurleys.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BFC wrote:We're just throwing all kinds of shit against the wall today.
Yeah, seriously. I'm not even sure how to respond to that, so I'm just not going to. But suffice it to say, NO.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

giovanni wrote:That's a good point Ramulous. Not like he was going to big 10 or acc, going to the direct competitor conference and moving his new school there as well. How could he his best interest in the future success of the A10 and URI during this time.
If there is one universal lesson that most AD's have learned is that you keep your mouth shut about other teams in your conference moving because there isn't a damn thing you can do about it anyway. Or, you can be UConn and scream/spit at BC while suing them (and the president personally) for leaving the Big East. Now, no one wants them. They burned a lot of bridges and are now begging for a spot to land. You never know who you might need a little helping hand from in the conference shuffle in 3,5,10 years.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Athletic Directors aren't driving the bus on conference realignment, anyways. There isn't a damn thing any AD in the country could do about any of this.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

TP, I disagree. The relationship ADs have with other ADs lays the groundwork for moves that make sense. Only in smaller schools are Presidents initially involved in this process, although they do have the final vote. ADs are under a lot of pressure to increase revenues from athletics and are driving the bus to get this done. It is part of the performance objectives set by the Presidents for their AD.

Do you really believe that Dooley is driving this for URI? Wasn't it the late Dave Gavitt who is credited with starting the Big East? The only interest that URI has with the A10 is Athletics. Who else would be driving the bus other than the AD?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

With all due respect, 72, this isn't 1979. There is so much money involved now that these decisions have an enormous impact on the entire university. The impact is not confined to athletics. The Presidents are in charge of realignment.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr has left the Athletic dept. in good hands, except for maybe Burke. Why does he still have a job?

If they hire from within, it's got to be Jasper, and maybe Laprey as asst AD? Maybe if Burke gets passed over for AD he'll see he isn't going places here, and move on.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:This is all very strange. It sounds to me that somebody leaked this story who was not supposed to.
No, this is just the way the media works right now. We live in a strange "in-between" time in terms of news consumption. There has been a transition from traditional news organizations (print, television, radio) to the web. There are now multiple generations of adults who have adapted, and web-based news is now basically fully mature. But the traditional media still hasn't totally died (yet), and there are still multiple generations of adults who have not adapted. This creates a tension where some people have accepted something as reality days, if not weeks, before others are willing to accept or acknowledge it, based on how they consume news.

The major difference is timing. For all its faults, traditional news valued accuracy and wouldn't (and won't) report things as "fact" until they could absolutely confirm it. New web-based media emphasizes speed. As a result, accuracy can suffer, but it isn't that big of a deal to most people. If traditional media was 99% accurate, new media is probably 93% accurate, but you get the benefit of getting it almost instantly. That is worth it to a lot of people, myself included.

All of this is possible because of the crowd-sourcing approach of new media. There aren't just a handful of pros out there tracking down stories. Everyone is a reporter. This is how the web acts as a great leveler of playing fields. People always have had information, they just haven't had a good way to share it with everyone. Now, when people get scoops they don't just start rumors by telling their friends, they can put it on their blog or on a message board or email to someone who gets a lot of daily eye balls.

Mike's tweet is getting to this point, but he is on the wrong side of history here. Waiting for official press releases and on-the-record interviews with principals isn't important anymore.

TruePoint,
I agree with your comments about the Internet but a coupld of things are curious here:
Two independent sources with direct knowledge of the situation have told Rhody Rampage that University of Rhode Island’s Athletic Director Thorr Bjorn has accepted the AD position at Xavier University.
Who are the two independent sources with direct knowledge of the situation? and why have have there been zero pieces of information since? Seems odd to me that there has been no additional confirmation.
I also bet that Thorr is pissed off at this. He obviously trusted some people to keep this under raps -knowing that things like this are not normally divuldged prior to or during the A10 Tournament. Internet or no internet - this could have and should have been kept under raps.
I also wonder what Xavier thinks about this leak? If this leak came from URI sources and not from Xavier sources they may be pissed off too.
It will be REALLY interesting of this does not ultimately take place. We will know Monday morning for sure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If this wasn't happening, I would think URI would have addressed it by now, saying, Thorr isn't going anywhere!

Their silence on this matter is deafening.

If it's someone in the dept. that URI and Thorr trusted to not say anything, then that person [or persons] is in trouble I would think.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Two people could be in trouble - two independent sources.
No leaks came from Xavier it appears
Would be funny if Xavier backs out because of this
I agree that the silence is deafening and could have at least two people very nervous right now
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

At the end of the day, what does it really matter? Truth is always a defense. If it is in fact a done deal, some people may not like that they didn't get to control the messaging but no harm has really been done. If Xavier wanted Thorr as its AD why would word leaking out a week ahead of time change that? I don't see the advantage they would get with the element of surprise.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

As has been said before, if this weren't true URI would just deny it. They haven't. Their no comment on the topic says all you need to know. Thor is going to Xavier, and if you think they're going to back out because someone blogged about it you're insane.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only question surrounding this now, will there be any repercussions against those two "sources" especially if they're URI employees?

Could someone lose their job over this? I'm only concerned, in that they could be important members of the athletic dept. Or maybe they have nothing to do with the school.

Whoever they are, they've got some explaining to do.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Leaks to the press happen all the time. You guys are making this out to be more than it is.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Except there are no leaks about the A10 adding teams. This is worrisome.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nobody at URI is going to lose a job because of a leak.
This is an academic institution, not the CIA.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Nobody at URI is going to lose a job because of a leak.
This is an academic institution, not the CIA.
It all depends on who leaked it and what their obligations were. Thorr, Dooley and the Staff at Xavier would know. It seems from many comments that in this day and age it is acceptable for things like this to leak - like it is just part of the Internet age.

Some secretary may have leaked it, what we do know is that 2 people leaked this info based on the Rampages story.

We also know that the silence is deafening since the Rampages story.

I'd love to see somebody get the axe on this one for blabbing confidential information.

This should not have leaked out before the A10 Tournament - that is a standard code of conduct in Post Season Conference Tournament Play - it does not exactly play well for Thorr and Dooley if their own Administration leaked this to Rampages.

Funny even how KMAC backpeddled. Also would be intesting if one of the Staff candidates to take Thorr's job is found to have leaked it - and Dooley finds out.

Monday we should know better. Loose lips in action in Kingston.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, lets hope it's not one of the guys that we want to see move up.

Somehow, I don't think they would be that stupid. Really.

Now, if it's one of those we DON'T want to see get the job.......

Just thinking out loud...not one of my strong points......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I hope we find out who leaked it - judging the the silence from URI it does not look like it was an "intentional" leak by "design". My gut tells me somebody is nervous this weekend.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There is still a chance that someone or two on the outside got wind of it, and spilled the beans.

How they got wind of it, is the question.

Like I said, I really could care less, unless it's someone who could be a candidate to replace Thorr.

If it is, that person won't get the job.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who the hell cares if this was leaked?
What difference does it make? Thorr is leaving. So someone said he was. Wow! Shocking!
It's not like Cordischi's story of Hurley's hire coming when he hadn't finalized his deal
and almost cost us his being hired.
Do you have any idea how many people at URI know whats going on? Plenty, from secretaries to janitors.
People talk. Do you think Dooley is going to give lie detector tests to all concerned?
Do you think he's going to have a full scale investigation about an employee who is leaving?
Please!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rod,
what gets me is how one internet site, and only one, reports this and people all over, incuding this Board, take it as gospel and even resort to start speculating about back ups. And some of the guys at URI got trashed on this Board - for doing nothing.

That is quite honestly what gets me. An internet gossip guy let's out confidential information and it never gets seconded by any source.

I really hope it turns out to not be true. I hope it turns out bogus.
I love how people are supposed to keep something confidential, but then tell some place like Rampages "on the condition of anonymity" about Thorr leaving - like the anonymity thing makes it all ok.

Stool pigeon beware...somebody couldn't keep their moth shut.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's like the story that went wild last week about Jim Boeheim retiring over
drug test failures at Syracuse.
It began with a tweet sent in error.
For the better part of the day, it went like wildfire all over the country.
It turned out ot be false.
Look at the storm Cordischi's BS story created.
It happens every day, in sports, politics and show business.
Look at how many Hollywood gossip shows there are and countless magazines.
Who knows, maybe Thorr himself told someone he was leaving?
That URI didn't deny the story, speak volumes.
As for speculating on Thorr's successor, why not?We had a list of people to replace Baron for years.
It is a discussion board.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

exactly
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The discerning consumer of news can distinguish between "internet bullshit" (like the Boeheim thing) and a legit scoop. The discerning consumer can still get fooled, but there is a lot of stuff out there that gets played up that shouldn't get more than an eye roll.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow I dont come on here all afternoon and I return to conspiracy theories and worries of people being fired over leaks!! What's next, talk to a blogger...off with your head!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's just silly, Adam.
This isn't Wiki leeks, where people could have gotten killed.
It's an employee leaving.
BFD!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is right.
This is not that big a deal of a position - just an employee
Whoever we get will be at least as good as Thorr who make a devasting blow to the football program with his NEC decision only to come back and reverse it - I wish that stupid NEC decision had turned out to be a false leak.
Losing Thorr to Xavier will not be near the "sky is falling" disaster that many are acting like it is.
I wish URI would just confirm the announcement and put it to rest now that it has leaked. Stupid to let it linger out there during the Tournament.
It's so minor it shouldn't matter.

UMASS over Temple
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Folks on the Xavier side don't seem too happy about this either. They denied it at the A-10 Tournament. Not the best look for the Enquirer.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2013 ... -director/
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They didn't deny it. They said it was premature, and that's why it's not accurate.
Parsing words.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I've noticed a lot of people disliking Burke - I've met Thorr, Jasper, and others. Never met Burke, and all the others were great. Anyone want to give a quick synopsis of why people think he's unqualified, should Thorr leave?
0 x
Go Rhody!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The URI administration doesn't care that its out there
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Wgas if a school that's LEAVING the conference changes AD during the tourney???

They're LEAVING THE CONFERENCE!!!

If you were a fan of, say, LaSalle...does a new AD at VCU make you think, for even one tenth of a second, about anything but your team this week?

What if Duquesne fires their coach? Do you care?

This is nothing. And it wasn't leaked by a secretary!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Thorr bye bye, nice knowing you
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Andrew wrote:I've noticed a lot of people disliking Burke - I've met Thorr, Jasper, and others. Never met Burke, and all the others were great. Anyone want to give a quick synopsis of why people think he's unqualified, should Thorr leave?

He's always been very nice to me. Not sure why there's so much hate.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI96 wrote:
Andrew wrote:I've noticed a lot of people disliking Burke - I've met Thorr, Jasper, and others. Never met Burke, and all the others were great. Anyone want to give a quick synopsis of why people think he's unqualified, should Thorr leave?

He's always been very nice to me. Not sure why there's so much hate.
I also do not share the same feelings as many of the posters on this thread about Burke. Surprising.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Burke isn't a bad guy. He's milquetoast. Uninteresting and pedestrian. He's fine as a member of the staff, but isn't the type of guy I'd want leading the way.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

NO PC LEFTOVERS!!!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Burke is a Pee-C guy. Nuf ced.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Whoever the next AD is, I recommend he/she just copies everything the VCU basketball program does as much as possible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Too bad URI is not in the A10 Tournament - it would be interesting to have some spies at the games so we would know who he is smoozing with.
Did anybody go to the A10 Tourney?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jasper, Schemm, and Laprey are all at the A-10 Tournament.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote:Too bad URI is not in the A10 Tournament - it would be interesting to have some spies at the games so we would know who he is smoozing with.
Did anybody go to the A10 Tourney?
With how stretched local media budgets are, I don't think the Projo or the weeklies sent anyone, and obviously, I'm not there. However, if you follow Matt Swiss on Twitter, I think he went there to string for College Chalktalk.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ramster wrote:Whoever we get will be at least as good as Thorr who make a devasting blow to the football program with his NEC decision only to come back and reverse it - I wish that stupid NEC decision had turned out to be a false leak.
Losing Thorr to Xavier will not be near the "sky is falling" disaster that many are acting like it is.
It was such a devastating blow, URI Football was so good and popular before that.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Someone from Montana might turn a few heads. They seem to have good programs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BFC wrote:
ramster wrote:Whoever we get will be at least as good as Thorr who make a devasting blow to the football program with his NEC decision only to come back and reverse it - I wish that stupid NEC decision had turned out to be a false leak.
It was such a devastating blow, URI Football was so good and popular before that.
For those of us close to the Football program know how much the NEC decision hurt recruiting. Your comment I assume is meant to minimize the NEC decision and let Thorr "off the hook".
Sure the football program was not doing well before the NEC decision but then it got set back on whatever progress it had been making.
This was not a good decision by Thorr, a couple of us were very much against it at the time, and clearly at the end it showed to be a bad one - here we are reversing it but damage was done.
0 x