Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Re: Transfers

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

The most alarming thing about Jordan's development has been his lack of post awareness, especially defensively. He has no idea how to defend in the post, zero. Sticking your hands straight up in the air and leaning on a defender is not good enough.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I have full confidence that Jordan can improve his weaknesses and learn. His strengths are height and athleticism which cannot be taught. His weaknesses are awareness, strength, and shooting, all of which can be improved through learning and hard work. There is no reason that we should not wish for Jordan to stay at URI next year, and the next couple beyond that.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

sf2010 wrote:I have full confidence that Jordan can improve his weaknesses and learn. His strengths are height and athleticism which cannot be taught. His weaknesses are awareness, strength, and shooting, all of which can be improved through learning and hard work. There is no reason that we should not wish for Jordan to stay at URI next year, and the next couple beyond that.
spot on.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully Dan can convince him to stay. If he puts the work in, he can be a contributor.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Where, specifically, did the idea come from that he is a serious threat to leave? Unless I missed something, this feels like one of those situations where someone throws something out there and it gets a life of its own. People start repeating it and eventually it becomes accepted as reality.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kingston wrote:Rumor on campus is that we have a tall freshman who completely cleaned out this locker and is thinking of leaving. Is their anyone who can confirm this.

True Point,
Back on page 1 of this thread is where this came from. Just a question was asked if anyone could confirm - and as you said it took on a life of it's own
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:
Kingston wrote:Rumor on campus is that we have a tall freshman who completely cleaned out this locker and is thinking of leaving. Is their anyone who can confirm this.

True Point,
Back on page 1 of this thread is where this came from. Just a question was asked if anyone could confirm - and as you said it took on a life of it's own
Someone also said that he hasn't been at team workouts.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

I got the info from other athletes who are non basketball players. They said he cleaned out his locker and is no where to be found on campus. I do not know if he is leaving, that is why I asked if anyone could confirm. I would like to go on record saying I hope he stays I do think he can help. Especially matched up against the right guy.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

And projo you are a little late again. That's ok my expectations of the paper are so low. I think the penny saver has more credibility that the projo. And when do you think golocalprov. Comes out with Ledo. Or is cordishi checking his pine street connections to confirm his story. The bias of the media in this state makes this week that much better. Donaldson, Bunky, KMac, and the pine street prophet. Lets see your spin on providence college now.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

they could have just waited until tomorrow and post his actual decision
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:

True Point,
Yes, I am embarrassed to say that I never saw this post because it was the last post on the page. So I can see where its coming from now. Hope it is a misunderstanding or something. I think he could be a good player.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Funny, Projo got this in a hurry:

this has God Shammgod Part 2 written all over it!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Alright...let's keep the PC talk over on the dedicated Ledo thread.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

IDK if this counts as a transfer but Rutgers JUCO commit Chris Griffin, has decommitted from Rutgers.

I think he should play for URI just for his name lol
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rutgers: No AD, no coaching staff, no team.

They are going to be forced to move quickly on the above, to field a team next year.

The rats are fleeing that sinking ship for sure.

Good thing for them, they've got that B10 gig starting in 2014. Even then, they're going to be even bigger doormats then they would have been anyway. At least the football program seems solid.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:I think he should play for URI just for his name lol
Haha, took me a second to get it, but well done!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:Trey Zeigler reportedly transferring from Pitt. The same Trey Zeigler who just transferred from Central Michigan and got to play right away at Pitt after his father got fired.
Bump
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Everyone on the Depaul team.

Ok, just four of them, but that seems excessive.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seems like everyone wants to leave crappy programs. Or good ones where they aren't going to get much PT, because they suck.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:I think he should play for URI just for his name lol
Haha, took me a second to get it, but well done!
And for those that don't :D

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like a Baron recruit! :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Ricky Ledo bye bye !!!
0 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

STC wrote:
Kingston wrote:
I don't think it is fair to Hare to compare him to Brooks in any facet. Brooks has and always will be a stiff, honestly if you crunch the stats he is probably the worst player to survive all four years at URI. Not to mention he had Baron teaching him which means he wasn't being taught a damn thing. Hare as a freshmen is far and away better than Brooks could ever be.
I'm only 26 so I haven't seen every stiff that's worn a URI jersey. However, Jon Clark was by far the worst 4 year player I have seen in my lifetime. He STARTED for us for sometime and every game was the same old story... Get abused in the paint, than brick a shot at the other end (or throw a pass into the 4th row), and than pick up 2 silly fouls and find his ass on the bench 5 minutes into the game.

Anyways, I hope Hare stays and learns the game here at rhody. 6'10 athletic big men aren't easy to find and with alot of hard work I can see him making a big jump in production next season.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Clark has to be a baron relative. I was always hoping he'd get into foul trouble so he'd sit. I was seldom disappointed. Yet, he started for 4 years.
Think of all the good players who have had to "pay their dues" and sit for a while. Not Big Jon.
But i don't blame him for not being good. I blame CFL for not seeing it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Quick aside on Jon Clark. I can't get my hands on any 2002-03 stats for his freshman year, but he started 20 of 31 games his sophomore year, half the games his junior year and amazingly (maybe not so with Baron) started 27 or 28 games in his seeenyah year despite averaging 2 rebounds and 2 points in his 13min per game. Holy Crap!

Code: Select all

2005-06 Season Cumulative Box Score
                                       |---TOTAL---| |---3-PTS---|               |----REBOUNDS----|
## Player              GP-GS  Min--Avg  FG-FGA   Pct 3FG-FGA   Pct  FT-FTA   Pct  Off Def  Tot  Avg  PF FO   A  TO Blk Stl  Pts  Avg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05 Robinson, Dawan.... 26-25  908 34.9 138-347  .398  26-95   .274 106-133  .797   16  77   93  3.6  60  1 112 101   4  48  408 15.7
25 Daniels, Will...... 28-25  784 28.0 110-246  .447  27-81   .333  61-88   .693   54 103  157  5.6  71  1  39  46  18  25  308 11.0
32 Wise, Jamaal....... 28-28  855 30.5 106-241  .440   4-14   .286  78-124  .629   61 105  166  5.9  50  0  38  40   8  23  294 10.5
20 Baron, Jimmy....... 27-6   672 24.9  81-194  .418  47-131  .359  27-28   .964   33  43   76  2.8  38  0  39  23   1   9  236  8.7
14 Bitee, Parfait..... 19-17  476 25.1  44-95   .463  14-38   .368  17-25   .680   10  47   57  3.0  30  1  28  34   0  12  119  6.3
33 Seawright, Kahiem.. 28-0   521 18.6  53-105  .505   0-2    .000  17-32   .531   48  49   97  3.5  54  3  40  23  16  14  123  4.4
01 Mack, Terrence..... 23-6   287 12.5  39-81   .481   0-1    .000  20-40   .500   26  36   62  2.7  39  0   6  19   6   5   98  4.3
30 Moore, J.R......... 27-1   376 13.9  28-71   .394   0-0    .000  16-30   .533   25  42   67  2.5  55  0  12  17  22   5   72  2.7
44 Clark, Jon......... 28-27  372 13.3  25-62   .403   0-0    .000   5-10   .500   26  34   60  2.1  53  0  12  18   8   3   55  2.0
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

What was amazing about Jon Clark, was that both his rebounds and points per game (as did his steals) decreased every single year! I don't know if I have ever seen that before. His best statistical year was his freshman year. Wasn't he a 4 star recruit?

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player ... /jon-clark
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Wasn't he a 4 star recruit?"
Only in the town he came from in Canada.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

but he did block 8 shots :)
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

If Clark was a 4star recruit, I hope all our future players are "walk-ons."
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I believe he was a 3-star on Scout. He was considered a decent get for URI. And I remember the first time I saw him I thought, great, a big guy who can run and chew gum at the same time. But, as said here, he got worse every year. And it was joke that Baron started him, took him out and then never put him back in.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In the Fanatical Fans section 104, there was some kid with a "Jon Clark Way" custom made street sign , like Jon was some big time recruit ready to dominate the conference.

I was fooled by it until the second media timeout that game (vs Brown), the first I saw in person in the Ryan Center. (I only saw the last 4 mins of the USC game on Cox earlier that season).
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

On paper, Clark looked like a heck of a prospect. What was he, 6'10" to 7-feet, with really good bulk for a kid that young? I'm sure he was awkward in college, but most big guys are awkward in college - If a guy can go coast to coast and dunk at 6'10", as Jalen Rose said Chris Webber was even in eighth grade, then he's the #1 pick in the NBA draft.

But with Clark, the skills obviously never developed. Heck, even after his four years at URI, there were still coaches taking chances on him. I think he played in some pro league for a bit, either low Euros or in Canada. Watching Baron through Clark out there night after night was frustrating as hell, since the Rams probably would have been better off playing some weird hybrid lineup, like with Terrence Mack at the 5, then giving any time to Clark.
0 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

It's just one of many example of Baron's inability to develop players. Also, how can you justify starting someone who averaged 2 points, 2 rebounds, and 4 fouls a game and then turn around and bury someone like Will Daniels on the bench? Absurd!

My question to the older fans on here... Has URI ever brought in this many talented transfers in one recruiting class? It's awesome enough to have E.C. Hassan, and the big O. To also be bringing in this type of talent from other colleges just makes it even sweeter.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

BCRhody03 wrote:It's just one of many example of Baron's inability to develop players. Also, how can you justify starting someone who averaged 2 points, 2 rebounds, and 4 fouls a game and then turn around and bury someone like Will Daniels on the bench? Absurd!

My question to the older fans on here... Has URI ever brought in this many talented transfers in one recruiting class? It's awesome enough to have E.C. Hassan, and the big O. To also be bringing in this type of talent from other colleges just makes it even sweeter.
Jack Kraft's first recruiting class of four was good, but if I recall, they were all freshmen. (I'm sure Rod will correct me ;-)). But I think Dan's two freshmen are better and the transfers certainly put his class over the top. Otherwise, we've had some top incoming guys .... Sly Williams, Lamar Odom, etc., but I think the combination of quality AND quantity is unique this year.

Before Harrick skipped town, I think he had the potential of some blockbuster recruits, too. But I wasn't following as closely then.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Transfers, 74.
OK. Tom Carmody has brought URI the nickname of
Transfer Tech in 1973.
He brought in a former high school stud transfer from Duke named Don Blackman.
You know him as Abu Bakr.
Along with him was a highly touted 6'9" center from Tennessee named
Tom Leone.
A point guard from New Bedford named Tom Borao.
A juco AA named Robbie Young.
Only Blackman and Young were any good.
However, the hype before the season began was stupendous.
The chemistry was awful. One time the band played a song by
Sly and The Family Stone, which was the team's unspoken theme song:
"Everybody is A Star"
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

BCRhody03 wrote:It's just one of many example of Baron's inability to develop players. Also, how can you justify starting someone who averaged 2 points, 2 rebounds, and 4 fouls a game and then turn around and bury someone like Will Daniels on the bench? Absurd!

Besides the one NIT game, when was Will Daniels ever buried on the bench?
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

URI96 wrote:

Buried on the bench was too harsh. Ill have to look at the stats but I remember him sitting on the bench for reasons that espcaped many people including some of this board.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Will could never break past the 28min per game average his last 3 years.

As a freshman on the 6-win, injury plagued season without Wise and Robinson, Daniels saw only 15min/game behind some older players with much less upside.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Don't get Rod started on the baron treatment of Daniels.

I remember a game, possibly BC, where we were down a point or 2 with about 5 seconds left in the game. It was an out-of-bounds play following a timeout.
I was listening on the radio and Don wondered why Will wasn't in the game. That's when SteveMc said "Maybe the coach doesn't want him to pickup his fourth foul."
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The idiocy of keeping your star player on the bench in a
tournament game, where you're blowing a lead.
Why? "I kept him out cawz he had three fouls."
Who the hell keeps a stud on the bench in the second half for three fouls?
Especially while you're watching a big lead dwindle.
I never bothered after that game. It showed me
the caliber of our coach, and that his ego came before winning.
15 minutes as a freshman? On a shitty team, with players out,
and he couldn't play?
Never more than 28 minute average, with his talent, was a
disgrace.
Scott Hazelton playing behind Jamal Wise and others for a full season was almost as bad a crime.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jon Clark was a horrid player, why he started I will never know
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

ATPTourFan wrote:In the Fanatical Fans section 104, there was some kid with a "Jon Clark Way" custom made street sign , like Jon was some big time recruit ready to dominate the conference.

I was fooled by it until the second media timeout that game (vs Brown), the first I saw in person in the Ryan Center. (I only saw the last 4 mins of the USC game on Cox earlier that season).
I remember the "Our Clark's Better" chant that we unleashed against Duquesne in the A-10 game at the Ryan Center in 03.

The brothers looked confused at both the irony and truth of the statement...what a bunch of stiffs.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Clark had a lot in common with baron. No matter how long either stayed here, they weren't going to get any better.
I don't think baron identified a position need very well. He just took whoever would come here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Didn't Baron do the same thing with Jason Francis, start him and play him for 4 or 5 minutes? I know Baron must have had a reason for doing this. I'm also pretty sure it was a stupid reason.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Baron's playing time routines were somewhat strictly by the book, at least when it came to conservative management of minutes. If someone picked up two fouls, they were almost always yanked and sat until the second half, regardless of game situation. He also usually didn't play guys 35+ minutes, like Hurley does. From an advanced statistics look at things, both were mistakes.

- It normally doesn't make sense to fall behind by X points because you're benching a star player for fouls, because you're trading an uncertain situation (he might foul out, he might not) for a certain one (your team will definitely suffer with him on the bench). However, kind of like the idea of never punting in the NFL, the idea of not subbing guys out because of fouls in basketball is tough to gain traction.

- Usually, you want to play your better players as much as you can, because almost all players have a "penalty" when they come in off the bench from a skills perspective. Basically, it takes a minute or two to acclimate yourself to the speed of the game, so if you can keep a starter in, you should. Of course, there are other reasons why you want to sub anyway and don't want to just play five guys 40 minutes each - you need to get younger players development time, you need to at least have people capable of subbing in for injuries and fouls, some guys have specialized skills that make them options off the bench, etc.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote:Baron's playing time routines were somewhat strictly by the book, at least when it came to conservative management of minutes. If someone picked up two fouls, they were almost always yanked and sat until the second half, regardless of game situation. He also usually didn't play guys 35+ minutes, like Hurley does.
In an ideal situation, Hurley doesn't either. I don't see anyone playing that much next year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not a transfer- Andre Dawkins staying at Duke and planning to play next year. Good for him
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I think baron had a "dog house" that was hard to get out of.
I'll never forget the look that Daniels gave him after fouling out of his last game (Creighton). It didn't take an FBI profiler to read his lips as he passed CFL going to the bench. He definitely wasn't saying "Thanks for being a great coach."
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

BCRhody03 wrote:
URI96 wrote:

Buried on the bench was too harsh. Ill have to look at the stats but I remember him sitting on the bench for reasons that espcaped many people including some of this board.
Not questioning his sitting in the Creighton game at all. Bonehead move on JBs part.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.