Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Transfers

Unread post by ace »

Not ours, transfers in general... It's starting already for college basketball, so we might as well start a thread for it.

Aaron Cosby (PG, Seton Hall) has let it be known that he will transfer after this season. Also interesting for SHU are reports that recruit Aquille Carr might head overseas to play professionally.

The first of many transfers, reached over 400 last season.

For the record, I am all for URI taking a transfer if it's the right fit.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Transfers

Unread post by RF1 »

It can work both ways. Could some current Rhody players be looking to move on? Some players may fear diminished playing time given all the new players becoming eligible while others may not like it here or have some issues. Are we expecting to lose some guys?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

In remaining with the familiarity angle, that seems to have worked out so far regarding transfers, with Gil and X both having played for the Dan and the other two having played ball in that area. Are there any other players from St. Ben's who might have played for Dan? I know he is now 3 years removed from there, but possibly someone who played for him as a sophomore, or someone like X who is in JC now? I want someone who can help right away, so a JC transfer might be the way to go. We only have Gil for two years, so we have to take advantage of that beginning this upcoming season. Ace, you would seem to be the one to know the Jersey kids...any possibe names?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He's the second leading scorer on the team; where did you see that?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Carr is a problem child.
Remember, hurley went hard after Gordon, who wound up at UMass.
He said the tranfers he's gotten are more the exception than the rule,
because of his familiarity with them in one way or another.
I'm not against transfers, but I prefer a base of four year players.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:It can work both ways. Could some current Rhody players be looking to move on? Some players may fear diminished playing time given all the new players becoming eligible while others may not like it here or have some issues. Are we expecting to lose some guys?
The obvious one would be Hare. But none of us know what's going on in his head. Hopefully, he is thinking that it's finally time to work his ass off and have a good college career at URI. Powell could be another one. Even his dad said that they would sit down at the end of the season and evaluate his situation, But where would he go...Canisius, maybe? That's about it, I think. Aaman and TJ have roles here, most likely as backups, but the Hurleys love both of them. Then you have the 6 new guys and X. I would say Hare and Powell are the only possibilities, and both unlikely at that.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I get why coaches take transfers, especially in a transition year, but I would love to see the staff keep building from the ground up. Minnis, Biruta, Jucos like X are nice pieces but let's get eight more guys over the next three years like Martin and Matthews. That is sustainable.

Was really hoping Willard wouldn't be melting down at Seton Hall. He is safe for this year and, I know no one wants to hear it, but you can't discount what the Hurley's could do at a place like Seton Hall.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why? Seton Hall has been to 3 NCAAs in 19 years, and been though several coaches.
Bandbox on campus arena, and a dump of a campus.
One of Hurley's comments the other day was, "Who wants to watch Seton Hall and Depaul play?"
Doesn't sound like someone whistful about returning.
Remember, he has some bad memories of his time there with PJ Carlisimo.
That's where he had his mini breakdown.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Willard is getting criticized in part for his poor recruiting. Hurley would likely do well at that there, but as of now, that's completely irrelevant.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Seton Hall plays at The Rock which is a fantastic venue. They haven't played meaningful games on campus in a generation.

Maybe he has no desire to go back. I just know that, if he can get players to go to Rhody, he could get huge recruits to go to SHU. Within 30 miles every year are probably 20 legit D-1 players. And, usually, a handful of stars. Agan, pure speculation, and maybe he hates SHU but home is home.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:Seton Hall plays at The Rock which is a fantastic venue. They haven't played meaningful games on campus in a generation.

Maybe he has no desire to go back. I just know that, if he can get players to go to Rhody, he could get huge recruits to go to SHU. Within 30 miles every year are probably 20 legit D-1 players. And, usually, a handful of stars. Agan, pure speculation, and maybe he hates SHU but home is home.
And home for Dan and Bobby's kids is now Rhode Island. That is also a factor. I can't remember the ages of the children, but they are all high school and younger. After 2 or 3 years here, children making close friendships, it would be hard to uproot them again....not saying it's the #1 factor, but a factor nonetheless.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Back to the transfers...

I'm all for 'em. I'm sure the staff is aware of the advantages of bringing in four-year players, but if they think a player has enough talent and the right mindset to overcome the negatives of transferring, I'm totally ok with them taking a flyer on a guy.

Caveat being as long as the reason for a transfer isn't disciplinary, but rather playing-time, location, or coaching staff motivated.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Don't forget, Wagner wasn't a move for anyone. Jersey City is a commute to Staten Island.
Coming to RI constitutes a real move.
Dan's boys look to be middle school age. Bobby's kids are older.
Don't forget the wives. Moving is traumatic in any setting.
Supposedly behind death and divorce for impacting on people's lives.
Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, who don't think twice about moving.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Don't forget, Wagner wasn't a move for anyone. Jersey City is a commute to Staten Island.
Coming to RI constitutes a real move.
Dan's boys look to be middle school age. Bobby's kids are older.
Don't forget the wives. Moving is traumatic in any setting.
Supposedly behind death and divorce for impacting on people's lives.
Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, who don't think twice about moving.
The kids (collectively) are about 6th, 8th and 4th, 9th, 11th grades. Dan was living more in central Jersey when he coached at St. Benedict's/Wagner. He almost took the Marist job a few years back but then decided against making the move.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:He's the second leading scorer on the team; where did you see that?
It's been rumored for a bit, but a NJ reporter finally put it in print. Nothing can be made official yet, though, but I have to think he knows what he's talking about.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A list of the mid-season transfers (as of December, 2012)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... st-edition

And, from last year, a list of transfers after the 11-12 season

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... nd-growing
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not a transfer, but Seton Hall recruit Aquille Carr says he's playing overseas next year instead. It was never a certainty that he would qualify academically anyway.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cosby's transfer from Seton Hall now official.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jaylen Bond transferring from Texas. Notable (to me only) because I saw him play in high school. He was part of an amazing 6 recruit class for Texas in 2011, second one to transfer out. He's a former three star recruit that hasn't seemed to put it together yet.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

How much longer can Barnes last down there? They are in the same position with Barnes and Mack Brown. Both guys have been there forever and seem to be fading to mediocrity. At least Mack won a title. Texas prints their own money, so it seems like all they need is the political will to make the change and remove guys who are pretty entrenched.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

any chance for Sina?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sina is a PG. not an SG. We have three PGs next year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ah, the Longhorn network.

The Texas football program gets what, $200 mil a year from that? Or is it just $100 mil?

Makes everyone else, including Notre Dame, seem like pikers.

They can afford anything, or anyone, they want. It does seem like they should be moving on from Brown and Barnes. Hey, it's their choice.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rick Barnes has certainly worn out his welcome
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Just read an article calling sina a shooting guard. I have no issue bringing in a Lou if guys who can play either spot. Worked well for st joes with Nelson and west.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

College hoops is generally going away from the Sherman Douglas type point guard who initiates the offense. Especially in an offense that Hurley runs, you want capable ball handlers not necessarily the archetypal point guard. Sina is more of a combo guard but the guy can shoot. And that is a skill set that this roster needs. I say this without any idea if Rhody is in the picture but Sina is absolutely a guy who would upgrade the roster.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Adam Zagoria‏@AdamZagoria
Aaron Cosby has been contacted by BC, Mizzou, Iowa State, Miami, Tennessee & Purdue & others, @NMHBasketball coach John Carroll tells @SNYtv

Regarding Sina, his father, Mergin was his high school coach, and even after Hurley came here, URI wasn't in the mix.
Also, Jaren had previously committed to Alabama, and changed his mind to Northwestern.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I might be remembering this wrong but I thought Mergin was the girls' coach.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This from Zagblogs, today:

"Mergin Sina, the Gill St. Bernard’s coach, said his son would keep Northwestern on his list but would re-open his recruitment. He initially considered Seton Hall and Rutgers along with Northwestern, and also previously committed to Alabama.

“We’ll get the release and open it up,” Mergin Sina said, adding that he expected the release to come by Tuesday."
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

He was the girls' coach until 2009 and then moved over to the boys' team.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Naofall Folahan transferring out of Wagner; he was part of Hurley's first recruiting class there. He didn't progress as much as expected this year but strange to be transferring out as a junior. Good luck, Ming!

(picture from after the win at Pitt)
Last edited by ace 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:This from Zagblogs, today:

"Mergin Sina, the Gill St. Bernard’s coach, said his son would keep Northwestern on his list but would re-open his recruitment. He initially considered Seton Hall and Rutgers along with Northwestern, and also previously committed to Alabama.

“We’ll get the release and open it up,” Mergin Sina said, adding that he expected the release to come by Tuesday."
The same thing happened with Alabama. He committed, then his dad said they were reopening it up. I have seen him play live. Give me EC Mathews - who I have also seen play live - any day.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Freshman Eric Fanning also transferring out of Wagner. Not exactly a surprise, as he was suspended for the end of the season. He was recruited by Hurley but decided to stay. Fanning is also kind of how Dwaun Anderson ever even found out about Wagner.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Transfer are attractive if they fill a hole or they are more talented than the type of 4 year player you are able to recruit.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote:Transfer are attractive if they fill a hole....
That's what she said - sorry just in that kind of mood today.
0 x
ELeslie's 1st assist
Abdul Fox

The Transfer Carousel Goes Round and Round...

Unread post by ELeslie's 1st assist »

Look who is now looking to transfer...I'm not bullsh-ting you.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/02/41 ... ayers.html
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel Goes Round and Round...

I predicted this when he signed with Missouri. It was one of those desperate late additions that often don't work out well for the player. Baron was right on this one when he backed off Bull. No offensive skills.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel Goes Round and Round...

Unread post by ramster »

If you have ever seen BABC play and saw the role that Bull played you would scratch your head as I did and wonder what was he thinking and what was the Missouri Coaching staff thinking? Mistakes with both parties. Bull did not shoot much on BABC and shooting was not his game - never was. He is a 6'3" guard/forward inbetween type player. to me he would be ok at D2 or D3. I was glad when baron backed off of him - he would not even have played on our 8 win team this year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Plenty of names coming out now.

Tulane is losing its top two scorers in Josh Davis and Ricky Tarrant. Ouch.

And another recruit from the 2011 class is leaving Texas (Sheldon McLellan).
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Missouri announces that Dominique Bull and Negus Webster-Chan will leave the program to pursue more playing time
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Trey Zeigler reportedly transferring from Pitt. The same Trey Zeigler who just transferred from Central Michigan and got to play right away at Pitt after his father got fired.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Adam, those two will find more playing time somewhere, for a low mid major or lower. That's where they belong.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Where's Trey Zigler going, Canisius?
Another beauty.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Point guard Jerome Seagears transferring out of Rutgers.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No surprise there. Wonder if there will be anyone left soon.

If I was a parent of one of their kids, and I was unaware of this before, I would be telling my kid to get out as fast as you can.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

probably many more transfers, seems gov christie has called for an investigation of the incidents at rutgers and there going to the big 10
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I feel like one of the entries on the list might as well just read "Rutgers"
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

According to Bob Hurley Sr., there is a real danger of a mass exodus from Rutgers.
By the time they hire a coach, after they hire and AD and a President,
only the rats at the RAC will be left.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Rumor on campus is that we have a tall freshman who completely cleaned out this locker and is thinking of leaving. Is their anyone who can confirm this.
0 x