Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Luis goes from being brought to Brooklyn for A10 media day, getting talked up by Archie a ton to national media outlets, to being forced out in a year.

Life comes at ya fast.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I thought Luis actually was 1 of the only guys who pretty much performed at or above what you would have expected coming in from QU.
But he has limitations and he was going to command minutes. Higher floor lower ceiling type profile.
8 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago I thought Luis actually was 1 of the only guys who pretty much performed at or above what you would have expected coming in from QU.
But he has limitations and he was going to command minutes. Higher floor lower ceiling type profile.
Just too slow to stick with/get by A10 guards on a consistent basis.
3 x
Go Rhody
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Downgrade? How... I liked how hard Kortright played, but he is one of the most replaceable wings we have/had. He was clearly forced to play PG, a position he's not equipped to play especially at the A10 level, he was also a huge liability on defense not being able to guard the majority of the quicker guards in our league. Losing Cam would be a much bigger loss.
9 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago I thought Luis actually was 1 of the only guys who pretty much performed at or above what you would have expected coming in from QU.
Agreed. He could have been a nice 10-15 mpg steady backup PG but I am sure that is not the role he would want.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I do hope this is a sign that we'll be looking to play faster this year in general.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago 5 left. Who's next? 16 players on the '23-'24 roster (including walk-ons). 11 are gone.
I'm not so sure this is a bad thing. Will need to see what the final roster looks like before we know for sure though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago 5 left. Who's next? 16 players on the '23-'24 roster (including walk-ons). 11 are gone.
I'm not so sure this is a bad thing. Will need to see what the final roster looks like before we know for sure though.
Actually 6 left if you include Farrell who is on the 2024-2025 roster

Fuchs
House
Green
Kortright
Weston
Estevez
Brown
Montgomery
Wright
Foumena
Dubsky
Stewart
Bilau
Hammond
Farrell
0 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

We better get some players soon, 1 under-sized big is not going to cut it. Right now renewing the season tickets is a no go. Got until May 15th to decide and will probably wait until the last day.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think huge roster turnover EVERY year is a bad thing. Just my opinion. I'll bet that is Archie's opinion also.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Now he just needs to run it back at Quinnipiac

Complete the trinity Kort

Zek
Bassy
Luis

Get back to where you once belonged
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, he was too slow on defense, but his physicality on the offense end created mismatches and was a big bonus for us.

Compare that to Thomas who is even slower on defense and doesn't create any mismatches on offense.

We severely downgraded. I honestly have no idea what Archie's vision is at this point
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago Now he just needs to run it back at Quinnipiac

Zek
Bassy
Luis

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
I think huge roster turnover EVERY year is a bad thing. Just my opinion. I'll bet that is Archie's opinion also.
Yeah, I get that, but I think it just depends on if you were good or not. Continuity is great if you are good and things are going well. Continuity isn't quite as attractive if you're bad and things are going poorly. The dream is that we get some positive momentum going, get better, and then start seeing some continuity and less roster turnover.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Kort’s a solid, clutch player. A team player who did an admirable job for us under the circumstances last season. He also provided one of the better moments for me last season.

I wish him well and hope he finds the best spot to showcase his skills and win.

Like 78 posted earlier…the staff has work to do.

We need rotation bigs, practice bodies and another coach.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago
Agreed. He could have been a nice 10-15 mpg steady backup PG but I am sure that is not the role he would want.
God forbid these kids take lesser roles. All they have in their heads are pro ball, pro ball, pro ball, pro ball
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Zek
Bassy
Luis

The Beatles were ahead of their time singing about the portal. Great song. :D
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I figured Luis would be the one to leave , we will be much more uptempo with Bassy playing point instead of Luis walking the ball up
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

No more logjam as some suggested.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyg wrote: 1 week ago

God forbid these kids take lesser roles. All they have in their heads are pro ball, pro ball, pro ball, pro ball
I mean he’s started the majority of his career.

Why would he take a diminished role in his last season of college basketball?
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Is anyone, anywhere "ok" with a backup role of any sort? Seems like everyone thinks they can play now... somewhere...they just go there now
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 week ago We better get some players soon, 1 under-sized big is not going to cut it. Right now renewing the season tickets is a no go. Got until May 15th to decide and will probably wait until the last day.
Agree ..so far, leaning towards 'pass' but there's still time
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 week ago I figured Luis would be the one to leave , we will be much more uptempo with Bassy playing point instead of Luis walking the ball up
Actually....he wasn't walking....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago
Yes, he was too slow on defense, but his physicality on the offense end created mismatches and was a big bonus for us.

Compare that to Thomas who is even slower on defense and doesn't create any mismatches on offense.

We severely downgraded. I honestly have no idea what Archie's vision is at this point
At this point, I think you're just intentionally being a troll because I have no idea what you're watching. Bassy is faster than Luis, who is one of the slowest guards we have had in years. Luis is a tough kid who can bully smaller guards in the post, but he's without question slower than Bassy.

Imagine watching these two videos and saying this Bassy is slower than Luis!!? Luis looks like he's running in cement. I love the kids heart but let's be serious for a second..
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Gone are the days of Jarvis Garrett who could have been a started in many programs (and was here until Dowtin surpassed him). He stayed here to accept a good role on a talented team that went to 2 tourneys.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
reef wrote: 1 week ago I figured Luis would be the one to leave , we will be much more uptempo with Bassy playing point instead of Luis walking the ball up
Actually....he wasn't walking....
He had some decent middle aged man half court moves. I had to wonder if he was playing on sprained ankles as slow as he seemed from mid season on. He would have been an ok for spot minutes but was part of the problem on defense IMHO. I guess he did not want to battle for playing time. Good luck to him.
3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just got email thanking me for renewing our season tickets. Sent back response saying no I haven't yet. Told them because this program appears to be in total disarray, I am waiting until last minute. Then I notice an email in my spam from them saying sorry the original email was sent in error to all season ticket holders. What a mess this program appears to be in from top to bottom.
3 x
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

I’m a no on season tickets as of now as well, program is a mess!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This Portalpalooza sucks but some of you are taking it way too far.

College basketball is a mess. You either support the program or you don't. If you want to be out bc we have sucked for 4 years that's ok too, but I don't understand why you would post here then.
6 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ram1980 wrote: 1 week ago Just got email thanking me for renewing our season tickets. Sent back response saying no I haven't yet. Told them because this program appears to be in total disarray, I am waiting until last minute. Then I notice an email in my spam from them saying sorry the original email was sent in error to all season ticket holders. What a mess this program appears to be in from top to bottom.
Thanks for this, was a real head scratcher…and reminded me I needed to reach out to Tyler soon.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'll definitely be getting season tickets. I actually think we already have a better team right now and Archie isn't done. I still believe he'll turn this around.

We may have the worst fanbase in America. Truly.
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhodyBB91 wrote: 1 week ago
Good grief.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago

At this point, I think you're just intentionally being a troll because I have no idea what you're watching. Bassy is faster than Luis, who is one of the slowest guards we have had in years. Luis is a tough kid who can bully smaller guards in the post, but he's without question slower than Bassy.

Imagine watching these two videos and saying this Bassy is slower than Luis!!? Luis looks like he's running in cement. I love the kids heart but let's be serious for a second..
Maybe you should try watching something other than highlight videos and do a better job of assessing competition and athletic level in what you do watch. We watched Thomas for two years here, we know he doesn't work at this level
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago This Portalpalooza sucks but some of you are taking it way too far.

College basketball is a mess. You either support the program or you don't. If you want to be out bc we have sucked for 4 years that's ok too, but I don't understand why you would post here then.
Sorry, I missed the memo saying in order to post here you had to be a season ticket holder. Have been a fan of this team for 44 years ever since I walked onto campus as a wide eyed freshman. I reserve the right to not continue driving an hour each way sometimes in crappy weather and always on crappy roads if the product is no longer entertaining and enjoyable. I will always bleed keaney blue and follow and root for the program, but the current landscape makes the decision to keep making the hike to the Ryan more difficult.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Remember two years ago when our offense sucked? Most of that was because of turnovers, with Thomas being a big offender. His turnovers per 40 minutes actually went up from two years ago even though he played against a dogshit strength of schedule.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... rs_per_min

Statistically and eye test he's a terrible defender, he turns the ball over way too much, and his shooting percentages are bad. Other than that, he's a great option at point guard...
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

This is one of the more unique exits as it seems the group is divided 50/50 on an expected, good, exit, or an unexpected, bad, exit. It's shocking to me so many people on Twitter (Barstool Rhody, etc.) are surprised, and frustrated, by this exit.

I think there's value from a depth standpoint with Luis, but if he wasn't willing to accept a lesser role then we can find someone who can fill his shoes as a role player.

IMO Bassy > Luis right now and it seems Archie agrees. As others have said, I would have preferred Ways to exit instead of Luis but I don't think this impacts us for the negative one bit. I prefer this one million times over to seeing Cam, or House, throw their name in the portal.

Cam, House, Bassy, Lawrence, Always > Cam, House, Luis, Always, Weston
4 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Every game archie was waving to push the pace and luis just didnt do it and looked like he was sucking air. He had a high floor which was a good contrast to the rest of the team but Archie always praised bassy for how fast he is so i am thinking its pretty clear what archie is looking for. Luis wasnt getting this team to where he would want it anyways, not with its current construction.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I won't say what I really think until the Portal closes because I don't want to jinx.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago Gone are the days of Jarvis Garrett who could have been a started in many programs (and was here until Dowtin surpassed him). He stayed here to accept a good role on a talented team that went to 2 tourneys.
Why would Luis stay on a backup on a shit team?

Cannot even compare him to Garretts situation.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Get enough players to field a team?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Section104 wrote: 1 week ago This is one of the more unique exits as it seems the group is divided 50/50 on an expected, good, exit, or an unexpected, bad, exit. It's shocking to me so many people on Twitter (Barstool Rhody, etc.) are surprised, and frustrated, by this exit.

I think there's value from a depth standpoint with Luis, but if he wasn't willing to accept a lesser role then we can find someone who can fill his shoes as a role player.

IMO Bassy > Luis right now and it seems Archie agrees. As others have said, I would have preferred Ways to exit instead of Luis but I don't think this impacts us for the negative one bit. I prefer this one million times over to seeing Cam, or House, throw their name in the portal.

Barstool Rhody is some of the worst and uninformed content on social media. Shouldn't pay attention to any of their opinions on basketball.
3 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Section104 wrote: 1 week ago This is one of the more unique exits as it seems the group is divided 50/50 on an expected, good, exit, or an unexpected, bad, exit. It's shocking to me so many people on Twitter (Barstool Rhody, etc.) are surprised, and frustrated, by this exit.

Barstool Rhody is some of the worst and uninformed content on social media. Shouldn't pay attention to any of their opinions on basketball.
I laugh at their account at this point, but it's still noise (and they are not alone in frustration here).
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 week ago
Good grief.

friendly reminder to donate to the NIL

what a sport !

i don't mind since i didn't like his game...
doesn't mean tho i like this process

changing your entire roster year after year is so ridiculous and further proves my point your NIL money guarantees you nothing

i completely applaud those who donate, but wouldn't you want those dollars to keep the payers for more than a year ?

that's been mostly my point
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is anyone, anywhere "ok" with a backup role of any sort? Seems like everyone thinks they can play now... somewhere...they just go there now
And that's why I suggested scholarships be cut to 11. The 12th and 13th guys sitting on the bench are pretty much guaranteed to transfer. Guys 7-11 are likely to transfer. Even guys 1-6 are transferring. I'd say cut the scholarships to 7 or 8, but that would be crazy. But why not 11? Why waste money on scholarships for the last 2 players on the bench when you know there's almost zero chance they will be here? How much money did we waste on guys like Dubsky, Hutchinson and Rory? I can think of much better ways to spend that money.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 week ago We better get some players soon, 1 under-sized big is not going to cut it. Right now renewing the season tickets is a no go. Got until May 15th to decide and will probably wait until the last day.
Agree ..so far, leaning towards 'pass' but there's still time
Speaking of season tickets, I got an e-mail today thanking me for renewing. I haven't renewed. Supposedly everyone got the same e-mail.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

CamsRams wrote: 1 week ago

Zek
Bassy
Luis

Does Luis’ tweet mean he is rolling the dice on going pro overseas ?

I say that because moving down to another program I don’t see as a gamble or risk for PT for him.

Could be a lateral move to an odds on winner or a move up ? But, what interest would be there for him to move up?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Does Luis’ tweet mean he is rolling the dice on going pro overseas ?
I've heard whispers about this. Not sure if that's still on the table for him.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago Gone are the days of Jarvis Garrett who could have been a started in many programs (and was here until Dowtin surpassed him). He stayed here to accept a good role on a talented team that went to 2 tourneys.
He was here for 4 years and loved the school. He has said so. He made a best friend for life in Jared. Those are the players I root for, not 1 or 2 year rentals that are only here because we gave them more money than somebody else would. They don't give a shit about the school. There is no longer any connection between the fans/alumni and the players. You're right. Those days, sadly, are over.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 week ago
Good grief.

friendly reminder to donate to the NIL

what a sport !

i don't mind since i didn't like his game...
doesn't mean tho i like this process

changing your entire roster year after year is so ridiculous and further proves my point your NIL money guarantees you nothing

i completely applaud those who donate, but wouldn't you want those dollars to keep the payers for more than a year ?

that's been mostly my point
Well we have kept all our best players (one developmental back up PG) added two guards that will make us better and a promising freshman wing player.

It's worked out about as well as we would like. I only wish it worked out with Fou.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 week ago Every game archie was waving to push the pace and luis just didnt do it and looked like he was sucking air. He had a high floor which was a good contrast to the rest of the team but Archie always praised bassy for how fast he is so i am thinking its pretty clear what archie is looking for. Luis wasnt getting this team to where he would want it anyways, not with its current construction.
He did have that knee thing

Before that he moved slow. Slow in the Quinnipiac highlight.

Reminds me of people I've worked with in the restaurant industry that REFUSE to move faster lol

Dude had one speed.
0 x