Game 5: Maryland (Wed 8:30p CBS Sports Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Game 5: Maryland (Wed 8:30p CBS Sports Network)

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody is still young relative to the A10 teams that pop up on the national radar and win big. They look young to me. They look immature and unsure of themselves and if they are sure of themselves its for false reasons.

Always loved Earl. Earl can do what Earl does against anyone. Thats catch a pass and jump in some direction and throw the ball in.

I wonder if Gottlieb ever played DH back in the day? is there a history? With Turgeon? What would bring this on? Its like premeditated character assassination. Was this in their plan all along?

Dan did play Ohio State close in that first year and has hung with some others.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Off to turkey land....happy thanksgiving everyone.....rub some dirt on it, we/ll be OK....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

My biggest fears were evident last night.

...Our lack of a 6-9 to 6-11, 250-260 true, quality, post defender.....The defense which Hurley has successfully developed relies on agility and foot speed. The next step will be to have complimentary players, with size, who can play zone as well. I think he sees his players as multi-dimensional. A 4 can be a 4 or 5. A 5 can play as a 4. A 3 who can play as a 4 or 2 [etc.]. I think he will begin to address the "size issue" with next year's incoming class.
...Inconsistency from the arc.....I guess the expression "you are who you are" best describes our perimeter deficiencies. Our offence is predicated by defensive stops. When that breaks down for whatever reason, size/speed disadvantage, or just a bad night, we don't have the shooters or bench depth to find answers to change the tempo of what we do.

I am disappointed with last night's game. Maybe slightly discouraged for the 15-16 season, but some of the problems witnessed last night can be fixed. I am encouraged by Earl's offensive play, and Kuran's defensive improvement. Continued improvement on defense by Earl, on offense by Kuran, and in general the play of Christion and Akele will help us possibly be a "bubble team".....The season isn't lost, just a big reality check.

Turgeon down played whatever happened on court. Hopefully that problem ends right there.

A happy Thanksgiving to everyone. The gyms open early tomorrow!!!!.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why did Ill St. and Rider, of all teams, not seem to have nearly as big a problem with Maryland's size as we did?

We had shots, a lot of shots, that didn't go in. A lot of those shots were open shots.

We make more of those, and it's a lot closer game, size or no size.

Yes, defensively we were overmatched especially since they couldn't miss. They haven't done that this season, Maryland that is.

Just a worst case scenario any way you could put it......
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

After watching Hurley for 3 plus years does anyone doubt that he is capable of derogatory comments to an opposing team.. He is a walking time bomb especially when he is getting his butt kicked.. Love that he is here, but he is killing his national reputation be it real or made up.. He needs to reel it in and worry about his team and their performance and actions...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whatever happened will come out, one way or the other.

If Dan did say something to rile them up, that will be dealt with, I'm sure.

It could have been a player, who knows?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Gottlieb also said several times that we will miss EC because he is also a great defensive player, a first team A10 defensive player. He said that on both nights.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope this story doesn't become as big as some people on twitter think it might.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

josephski wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Just another bench mark of the growing buzz surrounding our program: I'm wearing my Hassan jersey at the local bar and two guys have commented on it and asked what time the game starts. That's a difference from just last year
Where'd you get a Hassan jersey?
I got it at the Ryan Center last year, so they should have it there, at the bookstore and online. It's dark blue with no name on the back.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

rambone 78 wrote:Why did Ill St. and Rider, of all teams, not seem to have nearly as big a problem with Maryland's size as we did?

We had shots, a lot of shots, that didn't go in. A lot of those shots were open shots.

We make more of those, and it's a lot closer game, size or no size.

Yes, defensively we were overmatched especially since they couldn't miss. They haven't done that this season, Maryland that is.

Just a worst case scenario any way you could put it......
As I said earlier, if you are undersized you need speed and/or shooters...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I knew we were gonna get wacked. Size matters boys. If we hit our shots it would be closer but we are way too small to compete. Why can't we shoot? Because we were being exhausted by their size. It's simple.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

In all fairness, playing two games in a row, with the second team being Maryland, with a 6 man rotation is going to take a toll on a team. Add to that a team that is smaller and doesn't shoot well.
As for the incident after the game, I find it hard to believe that Dan would say the things being reported, especially to other players. Hope I'm right.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not sure what to believe. Hurley is wound up tight and I can only imagine he is extremely frustrated. The loss of EC must have really been a big blow for him and the debacle last night may have been the realization that the NCAA this year is probably out of reach with the current lineup.

These reports however do not seem to completely jibe with footage. There is an unnamed report that Hurley used expletives with every UMD player. That does not appear to be the case as the handshake line seemed very ordinary until near the end. If Hurley had said anything, wouldn't there have been a commotion earlier? I also think that if there was someone that Hurley would have gone off on, it would have been Mark Turgeon. There however seemed to be no issue with their contact. The dust-up seems to have been at the end of the line and involved the UMD trainer. The trainer looks to be the one instigating something from the footage I have seen. Could the trainer's antics have caused Hurley to say something in return to him? That seems more plausible than all these other reports.

Given all the erroneous reports we recently saw with the sports media regarding deflate-gate, I have my doubts here. None of these reports have actually been attributed to a named individual which makes them somewhat suspect. The media began sending out these reports soon after the game. There would have been little time for the media to interview all the participants and gather all the facts for verification. I am getting the impression that whatever happened has been blown out of proportion and very much exaggerated. I am again wondering if the media once again failed to vett this story and just ran with the accusations given they were controversial and get people riled up.

If we hear little more coming from the UMD side, I would think these initial reports are inaccurate exaggerations of what happened.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So why did we stink in the first half?
Fatigue would set in in the second half.
When did EC become a great defensive player?
Must've missed that in the past two years.
Dan's rep is taking a hit, regardless of facts.
It did during the Stanford game last year, and
you have a nationally known color guy stirring the pot last night.
Not good.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Some are saying that Dan used the same word that Maryland fans used to yell at Bobby when he was at Duke.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is worth noting Bjorn's remarks:

I am 100 percent confident that neither Dan Hurley nor any member of our coaching staff made any derogatory expletive remarks or offensive statements toward the Maryland student-athletes,” Bjorn said. “Any report, rumor or allegation to the contrary is false.”

The denial specifically mentions interaction with Maryland student-athletes. It leaves out Maryland staff members. Reading between the lines, I suspect there might have an incident between Hurley and the UMD staff (likely the trainer) and words may have been directed at him. The statement from Bjorn would not have addressed that possibility.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree RF1, I think if there was anything there, it was with the trainer that went out of his way to try and get to Hurley in the handshake line.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I knew we were gonna get wacked. Size matters boys. If we hit our shots it would be closer but we are way too small to compete. Why can't we shoot? Because we were being exhausted by their size. It's simple.
OK, fatigue made bad shooters, awful shooters. Dan has recruited players that are known more for their defensive prowess than their offense, and this is what you end up with.

This is a lot like last year, where a few players are capable of 12-18 point nights, but they never all play well in the same game. funny thing is, now KI seems to be getting into a groove, but JG and JT are stagnant or regressing. Hass would average 2-3 points more a game, if he was even an average FT shooter.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The PC board is having a ball slamming Dan.
One line went, "We have to worry about URI
like a boot does and ant."
As for the program, as I said yesterday, maybe
there should be more recruitment of offensive players,
instead of defensive grinders.
Would be nice to have both in one player.
Again, if fatigue makes our shooting stink, why were we so
putrid in the first half?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:The PC board is having a ball slamming Dan.

The A-10 Board is the same as most are all piling on Dan. There are a lot of people that really dislike Dan Hurley and these rumors fit their view on him perfectly. They are running with this hearsay as if it were 100% true. Actual corroborated facts do not matter.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote:No one is going to come to the ryan center this year unless we beat pc. That's our last chance at a legit team/game that could bring casual fans in. With that goes the at large bid. Lose and we can enjoy the NIT short of a Brooklyn miracle. Is it next year yet
Blue man as a Pc fan just to let you know we are also a very young and inexperienced team except for Dunne. A win over us will carry no where near the magnitude of a win over Maryland. I hope we come together together and are a real good team by the end of the year will probably get a better idea of where they are after this tournament they are playing in.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Who cares what other teams fans think of Hurley? Why would anyone bother going on the PC or A10 message boards. As for the game, we cant shoot and they hit pretty much ever open three they shot. I guess that's why they are ranked #2.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's called CURIOSITY!
Some of us give a shit about perception.
It has an impact on recruiting and other program
aspects.
Maryland was down 14 to Rider, so they aren't the 1992 Duke Blue Devils.
This was on ESPN Sports Center, who also ran with the story
reverberating around today.
It's top story in ESPN's MBB section.
So, we should just stick out collective heads in the sand and
yell, "I can't hear you!"?
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Just to let you know Tuergeon is a first class jerk. When he was coaching Wichita State years ago Pc played them and he made some tasteless remarks.I have followed him since and have always rooted against his team's he is a pompas ass.I can definitely see him making some kind of remark and Hurley standing up for his team and himself here I have no problem with that what so ever.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thorr's strong statement on the matter should provide some confidence that the story has exploded based off an unnamed tournament "official" (why is he not on record for such an inflammatory accusation??) plus tweets coming from 3rd and 4th tier media outlets (I'm being generous with that classification).

The print guys in the Balt/Wash area should have done more to confirm or at least substantiate the claim that Hurley did something like this beyond taking an anonymous, vague claim and running with it.

At least Bill Koch went and got access to raw footage to review what happened (albeit without any audio), but as others have said, there was nothing strange with the handshake line until the UMD trainer barged in and his OWN PLAYER had to pull him back.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I get it. Dan kind of brings some of this on himself with his coaching demeanor (which is not at all how he is most of the time), but it does suck when something is made of nothing. Oh, well. I'm not above eating my feelings- bring on the stuffing and pumpkin pie.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

the Baltimore media/area hasn't had a very good year.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Im getting downvoted into oblivion on Reddit saying that theres no actual evidence of anything except flared tempers. Everyone there is saying Hurley needs to be fired for this and everything being said is definitely true even though nothing happens in the video.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This just in: People who post on message boards and Reddit are more likely than not to be yahoos. You won't get any relief there, RhodySurf. Not even Reddit will float that truth to the top.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramfan85 wrote:the Baltimore media/area hasn't had a very good year.
Why limit it to them? Look at what we saw this past year with the Patriots and deflate-gate. The Indianapolis Star and ESPN had plenty of unsubstantiated reports that proved to be untrue. Both had agendas and printed what they believed without facts to support it.

It is somewhat similar to Dan Hurley. There are many media members and fans that do not like him based solely on his court-side demeanor. Anything he does is fodder for their beliefs. They won't let facts get in the way.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:This just in: People who post on message boards and Reddit are more likely than not to be yahoos. You won't get any relief there, RhodySurf. Not even Reddit will float that truth to the top.
My favorite post on there is the guy that says "anybody who followed Danny in his days at Duke shouldn't be surprised by this...".

Good work there pal.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So what is the allegation? He told some one to fuck off? I could see if something was said to a student athlete, but another staff member? I can't envision Dan saying something to a student. Really can't. This is the continuation of the pussification of this country.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My thoughts:

You caught a bona fide Top 5 team on their first big night. Carter, Trimble and Sulaimon shot it at 85% or so, that is unheard of, and those were not all open shots. Trimble and Carter hit fade aways with guys in their face, Sulaimon looked more like JJ Reddick. They have NBA size, an elite PG, and two high major above average shooters in Layman and Sulaimon...I am not throwing in the towel because they throttled us.

The alarming things that need to be addressed are Jarvis, Jared and Hassan. Jarvis seems to be last years EC, playing hurt. He has hobbled at some point in every game, and his play is uneven as a result. Great pass and decision, followed by a brick 3 or careless TO. Jared is feeling the need to try to be our alpha dog in ECs absence. That is not his game, point blank. Disano has pontificated about this, he cannot freelance or try to be a one on one offensive player, he gets exposed. He has to find his points on the defensive end and in transition, and he has to knock down wide open threes (he had at least 6 wide open looks in the two games and missed all but 1). Hassan for all his awesomeness, has struggled against guys bigger than him that are athletic...he cant overpower them. I was disappointed he didnt go back to his baby hook, which he did a couple of times against TCU and it looked smooth. He tried to overpower them at the rim and they were bigger and stronger. The finesse part of his offensive game is where he needs work, and am hopeful ARD will make his mark there.

Four is Four, an elite shooter with little lift that needs spacing to find his looks. That will come from the above 3 guys drawing attention. They are the core and need to perform better. Bottom line.

Iverson and Earl have shown great promise, that will help us in Jan, Feb, March. IMO since 8 minutes into the season we have been a work-in-progress. We ran into a well oiled machine. This team is still finding its new identity on the offensive end. We aren't as bad as we looked yesterday.

As far as the Dan stuff, the instigators of the story were the Baltimore Sun and Doug Gottlieb, hardly unbiased opinions. I have a bunch of MD friends and most think Turgeon is a jerk. Dan is a firecracker and that is why I like him, he was livid with that performance, who knows what happened but if it got the best of him and he told Turgeon he was a D-bag I could care less. Saying something to a player crosses the line.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

My two cents...

Lose EC
Lose to Valpo
Get THROTTLED by md
Not happy with the performance of his team
Not happy with himself
Losing by 20+
(Still extremely positive with his players during timeouts)
Sees maryland almost draw a flagrant foul towards the end with that pick
Sees them start to sub their starters out, one at a time, like it's senior night, just so the 1000 or so md fans can cheer them some more
Then they hit that 3, and call timeout to get the last of their subs in...

Hurley says something like WTF
And the md coach starts FUCKING SCREAMING AT HIM LIKE HE'S LOST HIS MIND
has to be restrained...wtf was that?!?!?
I'd be pissed too if I was Dan
Then the game ends, and he's shaking hands and the FUCKING TRAINER says something?!?!?

Then the md fans say hurley should be fired?
Gimme a break
You thought Brady was set-up?
This is absolutely nothing...and all the media is running with it because maryland is ranked?
This sucks...
Who is the 'tournament official'?
Gottlieb was on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FUCKING FLOOR...
I was closer than he was.

You go Dan, and Thor, and Dooley...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So I take it a home and home starting next year is out of the question? :lol:
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Statement from Cancun Challenge that there was nothing.

https://twitter.com/CancunChallenge/sta ... 97088?s=03

Waiting for apology from reddit in 3 2 1 ....
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Another case of the media making shit up.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh well look at that, shocker.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is the MD trainer jumped in and said something to Dan, and Dan said something to the effect of "fuck off" and that started it.

The trainer needs to be disciplined if that happened. We know Dan gets under people's skin, but that's no excuse to light a fire......

However Dan has to be careful himself....we know he was pissed about that game, that's for sure.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

#teamhurley
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

This modern society and people always looking to overreact to situations and call for people to be fired is really pathetic.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI had significant shooting problems while MD had an exceptional night.It remains to be seen how reprenstative this is for the Rams going forward. Yes, MD's size affectedthe Rams as seen in the number of blocked shots and it was this factor plus the number of missed shots that gave Md a big edge in fast break points. To compete for an invite, our guards have to be better on shooting, etc, so far they are not getting the job done.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

FUCK MARYLAND!!!

haha the 'heated exchange' is a nice diversion from the fact that we just got slapped down on a national broadcast...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I really think if we played them again it would be a lot closer.....

They couldn't miss, and we couldn't make.......
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Last thought on the comment bit. I hope Dan wasn't getting upset because he thought they were running up the score. That is what you are supposed to do. Step on their throat and keep kicking them in the ass until they relent and quit. We don't relent and quit and thus MD continued to play.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rambone 78 wrote:I really think if we played them again it would be a lot closer.....

Closer to what?

Stalingrad?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bressler3south wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I really think if we played them again it would be a lot closer.....

Closer to what?

Stalingrad?
That's the kinda analysis that keeps me coming back.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

JT may have had the worst game of his life. I don't think you can look for much offense from him.
He really can't shoot.

All you need to know about our front court players is this stat. Jarvis Garret led the team in rebounds.

The good news is that this is by far the best team we will play all year.

Going into this season this team reminded me of the team that lost to NC in the second round. Good enough guard play to make the dance but not enough size to go far in the dance. Take EC away and we are not good enough to make the dance.

Next season will be the first time in Hassan's Career that he will get to play his natural position.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

smokinjimit, that's pretty much how I feel about all of this too.....

I did feel that JG and JT would improve from last season, they showed plenty as freshmen.

But they have regressed. You can say that EC's injury has put too much of a load on them seeing as they are still only sophs.

And it's still early.

However all the signs aren't good imo. They weren't good shooters last season, and they have absolutely stunk out the joint so far this season. They aren't getting any help from the freshmen either, although that's understandable at the moment. The jury's still out on exactly how talented they really are.

Four had a bad game yesterday, but he'll have many more good ones this season. Unless the bench can step it up as we get toward conference season, this team's guards are going to wear down just like they did last season, especially with nagging injuries like it seems Jarvis already has....
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

There are two phrases/words I again wish I had a nickel for each time I read here......next year and rust.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938