Game #20: George Washington - Saturday @ 4pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #20: George Washington - Saturday @ 4pm

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not being able to practice much can't be helping EC at all.

Just hope he gradually feels better every day. He'll be OK.

I'm sure he's not used to not being the go-to guy either. I think he understands that it's a necessary thing for the benefit of the team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I didn't get to follow along the way I would have liked, but Jarvis made a pass to Hassan that ended in a dunk at one point that sent me from six to midnight. Just totally froze the defense then put the ball exactly where it needed to be.

I know it's a modest milestone, but we're now guaranteed a winning regular season. It's already turned indeed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

At the risk of being bold, this is Jared Terrell's team for the next four years. He is athletic and skilled, which is great. But there are athletic and skilled guys on almost every team in the country. Jared also has the "it" thing, where his team blows an 11 point lead and goes down five and the air is sucked out of the building, and he decides that we aren't losing and the next 2 minutes belonged to him. Every URI team in the last 15 years would have lost that game when we got down five, but this team fights back.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He would have made an awful cowboy.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... start=3050

The excitement was warranted. And, it's another recruiting case where they got their guy, and everything they told him could happen is working out.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:He would have made an awful cowboy.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... start=3050

The excitement was warranted. And, it's another recruiting case where they got their guy, and everything they told him could happen is working out.
Which will pay dividends, and probably just did.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Worcester Academy Saul Phiri at game today reported by Bill Koch. Scoring machine, scored 37 in 25 mins last night. Also Hendricken's 6-5 super soph Preston Santos.
I think Santos is a freshman.
Santos is a Freshman at Hendricken. He is Class of 2018.
He is also a very good football player - Hendricken upset LaSalle in the Freshmen Football Superbowl and LaSalle had not lost a game. Santos caught 3 TD passes and had a huge interception in the end zone He is a D1 Football Prospect and will be a D1 Basketball Prospect as well. Great athlete.

http://warwickonline.com/stories/Freshm ... itle,97927
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote:
KenPom sees this as a 59-55 win for Rhody.

Wow. Great win!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:KenPom sees this as a 59-55 win for Rhody.
Psh, what does he know?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I didn't get to follow along the way I would have liked, but Jarvis made a pass to Hassan that ended in a dunk at one point that sent me from six to midnight. Just totally froze the defense then put the ball exactly where it needed to be.

I know it's a modest milestone, but we're now guaranteed a winning regular season. It's already turned indeed.

I think that was Jarvis' best play to date. He looked like he was going to take the three. Froze everything and hit a perfect pass to Martin. Now that's a point guard.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:At the risk of being bold, this is Jared Terrell's team for the next four years. He is athletic and skilled, which is great. But there are athletic and skilled guys on almost every team in the country. Jared also has the "it" thing, where his team blows an 11 point lead and goes down five and the air is sucked out of the building, and he decides that we aren't losing and the next 2 minutes belonged to him. Every URI team in the last 15 years would have lost that game when we got down five, but this team fights back.
I find it interesting that there are a lot of comments similar to this one -- and many alluding to the demise of E.C. Matthews -- almost to the point of discarding the latter as some sort of "has-been," an albatross.
No one, including all the fine players here -- and those yet to arrive -- will take possession of Coach Hurley's team. They'll be allowed to shine.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Glad you said that first part, bressler. EC is clearly hurting. It's fair to question whether everyone is better off with him sitting to heal as much as possible or having him gut it out. I'm still of the belief that a percentage of EC is better than a back up at 100%. But the questioning of his attitude and trying to read too much into body language seems excessive. This is still the same guy, with the gym rat reputation, who can be the best player on the floor. Hopefully the week off from games is kind to EC and Gilvydas and they can pull off the win on the road.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cox has posted a FREE game replay of the win vs George Washington.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Can someone elaborate on EZBuckets calling out the crowd? On tv there was a noticeable difference in crowd volume late in the second half.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The team needs everything it is getting from everyone. Nitpicking EC after the team steps into 2nd place is bad form. Not front running either, they lost two and have bounced back. EC blocked a shot, his length matters in defense and rebounding.

My favorite play was when Hassan and Earl blocked the same shot. Also any of the dunks made or the shots made by the freshmen.

Reischel's layup through contact was like WOW where did this guy come from.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

NJ03 wrote:Can someone elaborate on EZBuckets calling out the crowd? On tv there was a noticeable difference in crowd volume late in the second half.
During a timeout he stood right in front of the Greeks student section and said something to the effect of, "You guys are really disappointing me right now. There's none.. ZERO excuse for you not being louder. Stand up right now and don't sit down. LET'S GO!"
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Jon Rothstein brought up URI on CBSSN show Inside College Basketball last night in his little segment called "Rothstein Rules"
#2 was point was Rhody's Rise as URI continues to rise under Dan Hurley and as he tweeted, the best frosh in the country nobody is talking about Jared Terrell. A little love from CBS and Rothstein. Well deserved.
Last edited by giovanni 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wait I forgot the steal Terrell had at the end! that was like a notch above the double block of Earl and Hassan
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

NJ03 wrote:Can someone elaborate on EZBuckets calling out the crowd? On tv there was a noticeable difference in crowd volume late in the second half.
I mentioned it in the other thread but just to clarify...

Yesterday was the annual game in which the entire Greek community attends and it's largely because at the end of the game they announce which Fraternities & Sororities are paired together for Greek Week. They made up a large collective of the students in attendance. Throughout the game they were largely silent & seemed uninterested in what was happening on the court. It was clear to me that the game seemed like an afterthought.

I lightly prodded them at the end of halftime to make some noise...with no response. So once GW went on their run deep into the second half, I took a more forceful stance and just called out the entire collective during a timeout. I got some boos and jeers...but sure enough they responded, stood up and did their part to turn the Ryan Center into a zoo down the stretch when it mattered most.

My job is to do whatever I can to turn the RC into a pit. So although it wasn't a pretty approach; it worked.

(Sidenote: The Ramettes were volunteering and fundraising at a large cheerleading competition at the Dunk which is why they weren't at the game.)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EZBuckets wrote:

Yesterday was the annual game in which the entire Greek community attends and it's largely because at the end of the game they announce which Fraternities & Sororities are paired together for Greek Week. They made up a large collective of the students in attendance. Throughout the game they were largely silent & seemed uninterested in what was happening on the court. It was clear to me that the game seemed like an afterthought.

I lightly prodded them at the end of halftime to make some noise...with no response. So once GW went on their run deep into the second half, I took a more forceful stance and just called out the entire collective during a timeout. I got some boos and jeers...but sure enough they responded, stood up and did their part to turn the Ryan Center into a zoo down the stretch when it mattered most.

My job is to do whatever I can to turn the RC into a pit. So although it wasn't a pretty approach; it worked.

(Sidenote: The Ramettes were volunteering and fundraising at a large cheerleading competition at the Dunk which is why they weren't at the game.)
And after that, you came back and explained to them, saying something like "This is our house. We need to protect it. Let's go!". They seemed to respond shortly after that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
TruePoint wrote:At the risk of being bold, this is Jared Terrell's team for the next four years. He is athletic and skilled, which is great. But there are athletic and skilled guys on almost every team in the country. Jared also has the "it" thing, where his team blows an 11 point lead and goes down five and the air is sucked out of the building, and he decides that we aren't losing and the next 2 minutes belonged to him. Every URI team in the last 15 years would have lost that game when we got down five, but this team fights back.
I find it interesting that there are a lot of comments similar to this one -- and many alluding to the demise of E.C. Matthews -- almost to the point of discarding the latter as some sort of "has-been," an albatross.
No one, including all the fine players here -- and those yet to arrive -- will take possession of Coach Hurley's team. They'll be allowed to shine.
I'm not alluding to the demise of anyone. I love EC, and he is still our most skilled player and our best scorer when healthy. I just think it is becoming clearer and clearer that Jared has that thing where he wants the ball at the end the game, and he will take over a game for a couple minutes if he feels it is starting to slip away. He is a natural leader, which doesn't have to mean he is the best player (although it helps to be very, very good). Very much looking forward to having a healthy EC back in there with the version of Jared and Jarvis that we've seen the last couple weeks. Hopefully this week off helps get him closer.

(Holy typos - I edited this a few times. Think I am too amped for the Super Bowl right now)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Nobody is knocking EC by praising Terrell.
Terrell is the most talented all around player.SIX steals, yesterday!
EC, when fully healthy, is the best scorer we have.
However, TP's point was, who wants the ball at the end of games.
Fact is, EC is 0 for his URI career in last shots.
One definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and
expecting a different result.
Time to find another option for that situation.
EC has also become a turnover machine. Is it because of his injury?
Could be.
Yesterday, he looked good in the first half, and had one of his typical drives through
traffic to score.
Second half, he was almost invisible.
Hurley was rotating him with Biggie in the stretch for offense/defense.
When he's right, EC's length on defense and ability to rebound is significant.
I don't see where a week of rest will mean that much to this kind of injury.
Feet suffer from jumping, running and making quick cuts. All major items
in any sport.
When your feet hurt, everything hurts.
I wonder if we'll see EC at anywhere close to 100% for this season.
We all hope so, but it's a tough outlook.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I doubt we'll see the real EC this year for reasons already given. But, knowing what kind of player/person he is, I expect his best for next year on.
You don't learn a lot when everything is going well. He's a gamer. He'll be back in a big way.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Watched the first half on replay- I didn't realize how much time Hassan missed getting that cut taken care of.

I liked Reischel making that big 3 point play before the half. He's kind of like Biruta- both really smart guys who play basketball better when they think less.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good thing our trainer isn't a boxing cut man.
Yes, that took forever.
Reischel makes more bonehead plays in his limited
time than anyone on the team.
Trying to dribble between three GW players was a real
dumb play. He's so weak with the ball, he should have
stopped and given it up to a guard.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't think it was cut, i think it was his nose
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

EZBuckets wrote:

EZ: that was your best game!
To me it's inexcusable for the Ramettes not to be there.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Low quality, but Hassan put Kopriva on a poster.
Last edited by Andrew 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Good thing our trainer isn't a boxing cut man.
Yes, that took forever.
Reischel makes more bonehead plays in his limited
And Garrett was just to his right calling for the ball on that play.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Andrew wrote:Low quality, but Hassan put Kopriva on a poster.
LOVE that pass by Garrett!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice!

On another note, I just saw a video clip of a post game fight and then happened to read articles about two different players being suspended on other teams- helped me appreciate again that everything with this team, once the season started, has been all about basketball.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Reischel makes more bonehead plays in his limited
Reischel's 3-pt play was good, but on that turnover he had Garret 15 feet up the floor wide open and looking for the ball and for some reason he decided he was going to dribble the ball up the court through traffic....there were 7200 people in the building and 7199 of them knew that was not a good idea. He can actually do some things well, but his problem is he doesn't realize what he doesn't do well and ends up being doing more harm than good when he is on the floor. Could really make the same observation about Biggie.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

At least Biggie had another zero turnover day.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

When Biggie plays well he is a very serviceable player. When he doesn't play well he is a disaster.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's the tough part with those two guys, its like you dont know until you play them for a few minutes and then you just have to wait it out and see if you can use them for the rest of the game or invite them to enjoy the rest of it from the sidelines. Reischel especially.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thoughts on Jarvis and Jared earning a spot on the KeaneyBlue banner yet? I think yes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jared has earned his spot on the banner.

Love the quote from Rothstein about the D getting better, a scary proposition.

If someone told you at the beginning of the season that we would be 15-5, 7-2 in the league and our biggest issue would be ECs health and a sophomore slump you would take that. Think how far this program has come, Iffy was a starter for a few weeks last season. Now......
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A picture of the whole team pre-game when they're lined up for the national anthem would be perfect, not sure how it would fit and look, though.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:A picture of the whole team pre-game when they're lined up for the national anthem would be perfect, not sure how it would fit and look, though.
I like that idea, if someone can find a high res version of this let me know and I'll update it and see how it looks.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Did EC get a cortisone shot before the game? Could explain the fast start and bad second half. Not practicing is throwing off his timing. EC needs to hit 35% of his treys. My advice, take 1000 per day: 50 sets of 20. Once you hit 50% in practice, you'll hit 35% in games.

The silver lining in EC's injury is Jared's emergence.

Let's see 7-20 FTs versus Fordham and 20-22 against GW. Our FG shooting outside of 12 feet stunk in the GW game and we won against a top 50 team. It's not hard to understand why? And it wasn't that Fordham defended our FTs better.

I thought Dan did a bad job substituting in half two and a good job in the first half. Did he really play Jarelle and Earl at the same time? Then having TJ guard Larsen. I would have played Iffy and told him to foul Larsen every time he got over-matched. URI cannot overcome an opponent who starts making treys.

I question whether all those kids wearing the URI T-shirts were from fraternities and sororities. Late Saturday afternoon and they looked sober. That's not how I remember my college days.

Gil's injury forced us to back off guarding on the perimeter to help out inside. That is when GW made the 23-7 run.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Couple of thoughts to an already great thread.
When GW was up five and ready to pull away, Dan called a time out and after that totally shut down the Colonial offense. 7 points in the last five minutes or so, and three was the basket interference by Hassan. My point is that we all know that this team has faults, foul shooting, poor outside shooting, lack of a big man, too many turnovers, not a lot of experience et al. What this team does know how to do is win. Listen to the lines, Dan says the team is coachable. Dan says this team is not concerned with individual stats but winning. Listen to the post game shows, all the players basically say the same thing. We do things on the floor to win games. It's not just Dan not letting the team lose, it's the team itself. I remember a home game against umass in the baron era where we could not stop them offensively and did little or nothing to change the course of the game. Whatever Dan said in the huddle, the players took it to heart.
We ended up January 7 and 2 with five of the games at home. Obviously, we switch the home/away games in February. Maybe it's a weak league this year, but this team fears no one, whether home or away. When we lost to umass, the sky fell. Well, it hasn't and we have two tough road games ahead. The team has character, and it's one heck of a ride so far. Go Rhody!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I don't think Biggie has played bad in a while really. Jarrelle does more good things than bad. His perplexing turnovers are inexcusable though. Keep the foot off the ball Jarrelle.
I really hope EC gets in the flow again. Gets something going, because we could maybe have a decent offense then.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TJ said on the postgame that the team went into the gym late at night and practiced FTs on their own. That's his influence on this team,
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No cortisone shot for EC, his fascitis ruptured 1-2 weeks ago (a good thing)....now it just needs to heal. I do agree with 72 that lack of practice is hurting EC, he is not sharp. Which is really what you use practice for at this point in the season.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:A picture of the whole team pre-game when they're lined up for the national anthem would be perfect, not sure how it would fit and look, though.
I like that idea, if someone can find a high res version of this let me know and I'll update it and see how it looks.
http://www.photobyfriday.com/Sports/Bas ... /i-TrBvbb9
0 x