Pre-Contest Ramblings….

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Pre-Contest Ramblings….

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the opening of the 2014-15 season about a month away, the between seasons boredom will end and the board will light up with commentary on actual performances.

While an improvement over the Dan Hurley’s first season, last year was a disappointment considering the preseason expectations as URI recorded its third straight losing season and extended its NCAA drought to 15 years.

But that was last year and Ram fans again have high expectations given the loss of only one key player, the seasoning of a strong returning cast, and a great roster of newcomers. Other college BB savants are also optimistic about URI prospects and here is a summary of some pre-season predictions:

• Blue Ribbon picks URI to finish 6th in the A-10
• A-10 Coaches predict a 6th place finish for URI
• Athlon picks URI 3rd
• RealGM Sports picks URI 5th
• A-10Talk picks URI 5th
• Sporting News picks URI #6
• CoxHub picks URI 5th
• College Basketball Madness Top 144 teams places URI in #57 spot.

Board members will soon take their shots at how the URI Rams will fare this season through the annual prediction contest. The contest format will be the same as last year with the prediction based on five components – overall record, conference record, team scoring average, top scorer & average, and average home attendance. The main prize will be based on the overall record, but a second prize will be awarded on one of the other components.

As always, I welcome any suggestions on the contest format.

Look for the official contest opening thread in early November.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Pre-Contest Ramblings….

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thanks, Obadiah!!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Obie, you've done such a great job I wouldn't dare make any suggestions.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thank God Obie. I think I lost my mind this off season. So looking forward to talking about hoops. Thanks for doing the contest as always. Pheww.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Always fun to see (and make) the predictions every season. Thanks as always for doing this.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I suggest that anytime the roster loses three players after guesses are submitted all submissions be immediately rendered null and void and a new contest created.

Not really.

Thanks for doing this!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

100% of the contestants overshot the win loss total last year, correct?
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You are correct, GONZO, and you came close to winning the prize with your 15-16 prediction. The Rams went 14-17 in the regular season.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As a refresher, here are the results of each of the components in last year’s contest.

Code: Select all

1. Regular season record: 14-17		        No participant predicted this record.

2. A-10 Record: 5-11				             No participant predicted this record.

3. Team Scoring: 67.8	                     Out of 78 participants, only 14 predicted scoring in the 60’s, everyone else predicted
                                             higher. Bos8 was closest at 67.5

4. Top Scorer: Xavier Munford, 16.9	       70 participants picked Munford, 6 picked Biruta, and 2 picked Matthews. Rhody78
                                             predicted the actual 16.9 average for Munford.

5. Home Attendance: 4942                     The winner was CTRamfan with a 4950 prediction and that prediction ranked #68    
                                             out of 78 participants. Even with no PC game at Ryan, expectations are certainly
                                             higher this year.

Note: Last year's attendance contest did not include the two NIT Season Tip Off games held at Ryan.  
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Is Pat Riley participating?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:Is Pat Riley participating?
I don't know, but I certainly hope PC fans aren't allowed to participate.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

You do a great job Obie. I think the contest is always fun. I have a suggestion for this year's contest. since others have discussed the fact that there is no exhibition game this season to give us any live indication on the team's readiness, why not make the pace game a free win for all and let everyone submit their predictions after the Pace game. we could treat it like an exhibition game which in essence it is. So we would count the Pace game as a win in the totals and go from there.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Great idea, Luke!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks, luke, I had thought of that same idea, but the problem is that the Pace game is followed two days later by the UMass-Lowell game and that gives only a window of about 41 hours for all posters to get in their predictions. In the interest of fairness, one other option is to open the contest on November 15, the day after the Pace game and take predictions up to Saturday, Noon of the Nebraska game, November 22 which gives everyone two games and seven days time. Thoughts???
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obadiah wrote:Thanks, luke, I had thought of that same idea, but the problem is that the Pace game is followed two days later by the UMass-Lowell game and that gives only a window of about 41 hours for all posters to get in their predictions. In the interest of fairness, one other option is to open the contest on November 15, the day after the Pace game and take predictions up to Saturday, Noon of the Nebraska game, November 22 which gives everyone two games and seven days time. Thoughts???
I think we should do it before the first game. We are all at the same disadvantage of not having seen them play together before that game. And anyway, I don't think the Pace game is going to tell us a lot about the team. We'll probably see about ten minutes apiece from Youncofski and Plunkett, so...... just my opinion.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I pray that this November will be the November when the fun begins rather than ends!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Nice idea, Luke! At least people can make an educated guess,
instead of throwing darts in the dark.
Charlie Brown has shown up.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Thanks, luke, I had thought of that same idea, but the problem is that the Pace game is followed two days later by the UMass-Lowell game and that gives only a window of about 41 hours for all posters to get in their predictions. In the interest of fairness, one other option is to open the contest on November 15, the day after the Pace game and take predictions up to Saturday, Noon of the Nebraska game, November 22 which gives everyone two games and seven days time. Thoughts???
I think we should do it before the first game. We are all at the same disadvantage of not having seen them play together before that game. And anyway, I don't think the Pace game is going to tell us a lot about the team. We'll probably see about ten minutes apiece from Youncofski and Plunkett, so...... just my opinion.
I agree. Keep the rules the same. All predictions sue before the first game - pace. All posters are in the same situation.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why not open it at the usual date but close it before the UMass-Lowell game if people want to see the Pace game? Anyone worried they won't get a bid in between the Pace and UMass-Lowell games can make their entry earlier. Like someone else mentioned, I don't think the Pace game should have too much impact on expectations (maybe it could matter if god forbid someone got injured). I don't think picking before or after the Pace game will really give anyone much of an advantage or disadvantage.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I like truepoint's idea of allowing contestants to pick before or after the game. as for me, i think seeing players like Terrell, Watson and Garrett and a fresh look at Hare would give me a better idea of what to expect especially early in the season. Otherwise I have no real idea what these players are capable of based on personal experience. i might as well pick the 2017 super bowl champion right now. Part of the fun is to see how well you can scout the new players and quickly determine how they willfit with the established players. Making a prediction pretty much based on nothing except what I saw last year kind of takes away from this aspect of fun. Sure, it is fair to everyone because we are all in the same boat, but I don't think it's as much fun when you are making a blind guess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
Why not open it at the usual date but close it before the UMass-Lowell game if people want to see the Pace game? Anyone worried they won't get a bid in between the Pace and UMass-Lowell games can make their entry earlier. Like someone else mentioned, I don't think the Pace game should have too much impact on expectations (maybe it could matter if god forbid someone got injured). I don't think picking before or after the Pace game will really give anyone much of an advantage or disadvantage.
If you don't think it matters then why change it?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I say make no changes, do it and close it before pace. Pace and UML will tell us literally nothing. Onyekaba went for 21 and 10 against Maine.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree with Blue Man.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree with blue man.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramster, if it were up to me I wouldn't change it. Just offering a solution to what Obadiah said. Personally I don't think it matters but I've heard a few people worry about making their guess without a preseason game to base it on.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:I say make no changes, do it and close it before pace. Pace and UML will tell us literally nothing. Onyekaba went for 21 and 10 against Maine.
I was going to make the same point about Maine. If we picked after that game the predictions might have been even more crazy last year. Would have thought Iffy and Jarelle would have been superstars.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

In spite of all the optimism for this season, I think people are going to hedge a little on their predictions, at least until we actually start winning. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised, than the other way around. [See last year]

Conservatism will rule the day.

If all goes well this year, shoot for the moon for 2015-16!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I do agree with Blue Man and others who's think it makes no difference, but I will take a compromise position as suggested by TruePoint.

In the past I have opened the contest about 7 days before the regular season and closed it after the exhibition contest. In my opinion the Pace game is a quasi "exhibition" game, so this year I will open the contest at the usual time and will close it to new submits after the Pace game. Dictum Factum.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I say keep it the same. Also, (somewhat sarcastic), I do not want a category for most moral victories. I'm really tired of them. I'm putting the Nebraska game in the win column without any word in front of it. Go Rhody!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote:I do agree with Blue Man and others who's think it makes no difference, but I will take a compromise position as suggested by TruePoint.

In the past I have opened the contest about 7 days before the regular season and closed it after the exhibition contest. In my opinion the Pace game is a quasi "exhibition" game, so this year I will open the contest at the usual time and will close it to new submits after the Pace game. Dictum Factum.
Seems fair, good work as always Obadiah.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

No need for profanity Obadiah!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Too funny, ramulous!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am a Romance language fan !
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

neil wrote:I say keep it the same. Also, (somewhat sarcastic), I do not want a category for most moral victories. I'm really tired of them. I'm putting the Nebraska game in the win column without any word in front of it. Go Rhody!
Hear hear!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

neil wrote:I say keep it the same. Also, (somewhat sarcastic), I do not want a category for most moral victories. I'm really tired of them. I'm putting the Nebraska game in the win column without any word in front of it. Go Rhody!
Preach!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote:I do agree with Blue Man and others who's think it makes no difference, but I will take a compromise position as suggested by TruePoint.

Will the outcome, scoring, and attendance of the Pace game count at all?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, all the data of the Pace game will be included.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ok let the proceedings commence?
0 x