EC Matthews- Adidas Nations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

EC Matthews- Adidas Nations

Unread post by ace »

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013 ... 0723tk5u8l

Congrats, EC! This is huge, and a really great honor for him.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: EC Matthews- Adidas Nations

Unread post by ace »

First mentioned as a possibility here, in this tweet from Adrian Wojnarowski

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Awesome for EC. So, the scouts are already interested.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That's awesome for EC
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you're not familiar with this event, check out the roster from last year (counselors are listed last). Very impressive.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/201 ... nced-4303/
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This is huge! Congrats to EC!!

Love the Woj tweet, he is one of the most plugged in NBA writers.

Also is great for Hurley in recruiting. Shows recruits that they can get exposure here and gives Hurley even more credibility on the recruiting trail.

I think EC is poised to really break out this season and become a name known beyond this board and URI fans.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I just tweeted to McNamara at the PROJO to past the word in the paper. We need to promote our players and program as much as we can. Great achievement for EC!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the best pro prospect in Rhode Island plays in Kingston but dont tell KMac. The 2nd best also plays for Rhody. Book it.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

You don't get players in here as a counselor if you have an under armour contract. Unless we can get a Nike elite contract we are best served with Adidas.
Once we get better we can become an elite Adidas team with better uniforms etc. Despite what we adults think, Adidas has the NBA contract + kids like the NBA = kids like Adidas.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Better tell Hurley. He can't wait to dump Adidas.
It was even in his contract extension.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Love this:

CD: Finally, what are your goals for this upcoming season?

Matthews: As a team I want us to be the best team we can be and live up to our potential and, if we do that, any personal goals I have will take care of themselves. We want everything we can.... an A-10 Championship, and NCAA Tournament berth and to go as far as we can.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

According to this article, you can be selected as a counselor for the Adidas Nations Global event if you team has an Under Armour contract...or any other brand contract for that matter.

"The 30 players selected are some of the most talented in the country and the pool of candidates is not limited to those at only adidas brand schools."

"In addition, adidas Nations provides a platform for Matthews to play in the so-called 'Counselor Games' against other elite players throughout college basketball while NBA general managers and scouts sit courtside."
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This kid is a special player...good chance he wont see his Senior year in Keaney blue. Easily our best prospect since Lamar, sky is really the limit. With some more muscle and improvements on defense this kid can be an AA candidate as early as next season. When you read the stat that he averaged close to 20ppg over the last 1/3rd of the season you cant help but be excited for his SO season!!
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

rodfromcranston wrote:Better tell Hurley. He can't wait to dump Adidas.
It was even in his contract extension.
Yes, I realize that. I just wonder if it is a personal $ issue with Dan or an issue with the shoes, etc. He had an under armour deal at Wagner. Having recently coached AAU teams, you would be amazed at how much shoe culture affects kids. Nike or Adidas are what kids wear. I just want us to have one of those two. We are not at an elite level yet where we can dictate totally customized uniforms (or coach $)a la Baylor and Louisville but we will be.
full disclosure: my son played for the Atlanta Celtics and they even had to wear Adidas gear in practice! My son had nike socks on once and had to take them off IN PRACTICE!

My point overall is I hear from this board that Dan can't wait to dump Adidas but I ask why and for what other brand?
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Justns11 wrote:According to this article, you can be selected as a counselor for the Adidas Nations Global event if you team has an Under Armour contract...or any other brand contract for that matter.

"The 30 players selected are some of the most talented in the country and the pool of candidates is not limited to those at only adidas brand schools."

"In addition, adidas Nations provides a platform for Matthews to play in the so-called 'Counselor Games' against other elite players throughout college basketball while NBA general managers and scouts sit courtside."
It sure as hell helps, though!! Yeah, if you are from UConn or are a stud from another school you will get in. Not to say EC couldn't, but it helps to be on the Adidas team.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

An elite club to be in. I hope the national media catch on and start including him in the top soph lists nationally, the top 100 prospect lists, etc etc.

Gooodluck!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Very exciting for EC and for Rhody fans to have a player of his level already producing before sophomore season.

Great point above about how Dan and staff can use EC as the poster boy for someone with top talent who can come to lil Rhody and do great things AND get nationally recognized.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope we get 3 years out of EC here. If he's going to be as good as I think he is this year, the NBA will be calling very soon. The combination of talent and work ethic will get him where he wants to be. I still think he's a 2 guard in the NBA. His shot got better and better last year and I think he'll be a very good shooter now. There are positives and negatives for the program if he's only here 2 years. He'll be very tough to replace in the short term, but it also will allow Dan to recruit players of his caliber in the future.............And I know....too soon...too soon......just my opinion on this kid.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy, i think worst case is he is here 3 years....he seems to have a very good head on his shoulders, so I dont think he would leave until he was a guaranteed 1st rounder. And I dont think he will be there after this year. I think he plays 3 years for us, at least. As great as he is, making it in the league is very very difficult.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Billyboy, i think worst case is he is here 3 years....he seems to have a very good head on his shoulders, so I dont think he would leave until he was a guaranteed 1st rounder. And I dont think he will be there after this year. I think he plays 3 years for us, at least. As great as he is, making it in the league is very very difficult.
I hope you're right. He will get better and should be a higher draft pick after his junior year and possibly even higher if he stays 4 years. There's always the risk of injury if you stay in school. For my selfish reasons, I'd love to see him here 4 years, because I love watching him play and obviously he'd make our team much better if he's here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When I go to a game, I like to get there early to watch shootaround. Most guys were getting loose, stretching, getting some shots up, etc. A couple were kind of goofing around, telling jokes. Nothing wrong with that, whatever it takes to get ready for a game. EC was all business. What do most think he needs to work on? For 20-25 minutes straight, all he did was work on his right hand. He'd be behind the 3 point line going to his right and take a 3 pointer. He'd drive to the basket going to his right and pull up for a 12 footer. He'd drive to his right and go all the way to the hole. Going to his right and working on his shot at the same time. This is an 18 year old kid who knows what he wants and what he needs to do to get there. He gets it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i am hoping he stays for 8 years Billyboy ;)
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:When I go to a game, I like to get there early to watch shootaround. Most guys were getting loose, stretching, getting some shots up, etc. A couple were kind of goofing around, telling jokes. Nothing wrong with that, whatever it takes to get ready for a game. EC was all business. What do most think he needs to work on? For 20-25 minutes straight, all he did was work on his right hand. He'd be behind the 3 point line going to his right and take a 3 pointer. He'd drive to the basket going to his right and pull up for a 12 footer. He'd drive to his right and go all the way to the hole. Going to his right and working on his shot at the same time. This is an 18 year old kid who knows what he wants and what he needs to do to get there. He gets it.
If he can go to his right as well as he does his left and, as has been reported, he's developed more strength, he is going to be very tough to stop. I'm drooling just thinking about it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Billyboy78 wrote:When I go to a game, I like to get there early to watch shootaround. Most guys were getting loose, stretching, getting some shots up, etc. A couple were kind of goofing around, telling jokes. Nothing wrong with that, whatever it takes to get ready for a game. EC was all business. What do most think he needs to work on? For 20-25 minutes straight, all he did was work on his right hand. He'd be behind the 3 point line going to his right and take a 3 pointer. He'd drive to the basket going to his right and pull up for a 12 footer. He'd drive to his right and go all the way to the hole. Going to his right and working on his shot at the same time. This is an 18 year old kid who knows what he wants and what he needs to do to get there. He gets it.
This is great stuff. My only concern was the strength of his right hand. if he tets that down hes going to be almost unstoppable. I mentioned him being a first round talent in another thread and was told to slow down with that. Think about it though... He stay line was 14 4 2 as a freshman. He averaged 20 a game once he was a full time starter. If he improves like we all think he will this season his numbers are going to be ridiculous. He's got NBA height and is a lefty. He will start popping up on mock draft boards before the season is over. Not trying to get ahead of myself, just being realistic. EC is for real and he's ready getting noticed nationally.

I hope he stays all 4 years, would hate to see him leave early but its definitely a possibility.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I noticed the same thing before a game.
(Contrast that with Ryan Brooks, who used to practice all these crazy spin drives with ball fakes etc. like he was getting ready for a career with the Globetrotters.)
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I hated that too Iggy, I noticed that all the time with Brooks and others. Practice like a game situation, that was awful.

One thing that cant get lost with EC and is a huge factor for a good team....you want your best player to also be your hardest worker. It makes a huge difference. It seems in EC we have not only a special player, but a special person, singularly focused on making himself and his team better. People around the program say you cant walk by the gym without seeing EC out there practicing his game.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jim Eitner taking 30 footers in warm ups........
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Will Dan go to this with EC?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:I hated that too Iggy, I noticed that all the time with Brooks and others. Practice like a game situation, that was awful.

One thing that cant get lost with EC and is a huge factor for a good team....you want your best player to also be your hardest worker. It makes a huge difference. It seems in EC we have not only a special player, but a special person, singularly focused on making himself and his team better. People around the program say you cant walk by the gym without seeing EC out there practicing his game.
I agree. It took a special person to come to URI in the first place and not to go where others thought he should. He came half way across the country to a program that had hit bottom to play for a new coach. He had "better" options.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ATPTourFan wrote:Very exciting for EC and for Rhody fans to have a player of his level already producing before sophomore season.

Great point above about how Dan and staff can use EC as the poster boy for someone with top talent who can come to lil Rhody and do great things AND get nationally recognized.
Agreed. This is grade A recruiting/marketing material.

Congratulations to E.C. as well!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I love this...

I think this is another reason why I came to Rhode Island, to carry the burden as a young player... going into the camp I'm hearing I'll be one of the youngest players there. [Last year, just nine sophomores nationwide participated]. That's motivation and I take the opportunity to represent URI seriously.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Absolutely love this kid and can't wait for the season to start. I hope he gets all the recognition he deserves, and I hope he leads us to the NCAAT THIS YEAR!!! I don't want to wait any longer!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

A kid with talent who works his ass off, who has a great attitude and totally gets it. You can't beat that. I agree, love this kid.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Here's the full list of counselors. EC's in very good company-

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -released/
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The guy in that picture looks like Manute Bol.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adidas Nations Counselors
G Bryce Alford (UCLA)
F/C Beejay Anya (NC State)
G/F Jabari Bird (California)
F Jonah Bolden (UCLA)
F Perry Ellis (Kansas)
G AJ English (Iona)
F Shaq Goodwin (Memphis)
G Josh Gray (LSU)
F Montrezl Harrell (Louisville)
G/F Zak Irvin (Michigan)
F Stanley Johnson (Arizona)
G Chris Jones (Louisville)
F Frank Kaminsky (Wisconsin)
F Shawn Long (Louisiana)
F Kevon Looney (UCLA)
G EC Matthews (Rhode Island)
G Jordan Mathews (California)
F Austin Nichols (Memphis)
F/C Landry Nnoko (Clemson)
F Kelly Oubre (Kansas)
C Tony Parker (UCLA)
F Terran Petteway (Nebraska)
G Norman Powell (UCLA)
G Terry Rozier (Louisville)
G/F Shavon Shields (Nebraska)
C Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona)
F/C Brad Waldow (Saint Mary’s)
G Derrick Walton (Michigan)
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I hope EC recruits Dillon Brooks while he is there...and maybe puts in a word with Thon Maker...I kid I kid
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Besides Brooks, there are URI "offered" recruits on team rosters……..NICE.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Only three kids from mid majors....URI, Iona, St. Mary's......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Well, Kev really went all out on this one……
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... s-camp.ece

But, wait ---- Ed Cooley's been busy…..
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow, why bother KMac? Why bother when you know your coverage of schools not called Providence College is so woefully inadequate compared to other news sources. I suppose those who still ONLY read the Projo think that it's the only news institution in the state. Luckily we know this not to be true.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jack Andrade at least covered it when it was first released. He also didn't feel the need to tell us that E.C. was the only A10 or Big East player selected.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/new-u ... lobal-camp
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The summary so far- solid but not spectacular. I'll take that from a sophomore in this environment against that level of competition.

E.C. Matthews working to improve his point guard skills.
As a freshman at Rhode Island, Matthews went from a player who factored into the rotation for head coach Dan Hurley to the Atlantic 10’s best freshman as he was named the league’s Rookie of the Year. Now with Xavier Munford out of eligibility Matthews has been working more on his ball-handling, as he’ll be expected to spend more time at the point guard position in 2014-15. When asked where he made his greatest strides last season, Matthews noted that he had a better understanding of what his role was as the year wore on.

“When the season started I really didn’t know my role,” Matthews told NBCSports.com on Friday. “But as the season [wore on] I got better and I knew what my role was, and that was to score and get everyone else involved. I’m looking to be a captain this year and I’ll be playing the one. I have to work on [strengthening] my right hand, but I think I’ll be able to [play the point].”

Through two days at adidas Nations, Matthews hasn’t been spectacular but he’s been solid, spending time at both guard spots on a team that includes LSU point guard Josh Gray. In Saturday’s night cap Matthews used his length well defensively, getting into passing lanes and even getting the game-saving block on a Terry Rozier jump shot attempt. The offense is still a work in progress when it comes to running the show, but his ability to get into the lane and finish was easy to notice. (RJ)

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... he-action/
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Interesting the 3 points covered there. Not being A10 specific in that article.

National press
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great news. What an honor and opportunity for EC.
Breakdown of where they guys are from:
PAC 12 - UCLA with 5 players represented
G Bryce Alford (UCLA)
F Jonah Bolden (UCLA)
F Kevon Looney (UCLA)
C Tony Parker (UCLA)
G Norman Powell (UCLA)
G/F Jabari Bird (California)
G Jordan Mathews (California)
F Stanley Johnson (Arizona)
C Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona)

Atlantic Coast Conference
F Montrezl Harrell (Louisville)
G Chris Jones (Louisville)
G Terry Rozier (Louisville)
F/C Landry Nnoko (Clemson)
F/C Beejay Anya (NC State)

Big 10
G Derrick Walton (Michigan)
G/F Zak Irvin (Michigan)
F Terran Petteway (Nebraska)
G/F Shavon Shields (Nebraska)
F Frank Kaminsky (Wisconsin)

Big 12
F Kelly Oubre (Kansas)
F Perry Ellis (Kansas)

AAC - American Conference
F Austin Nichols (Memphis)
F Shaq Goodwin (Memphis)

SEC
G Josh Gray (LSU)

F Shawn Long (Louisiana Lafayette)
G EC Matthews (Rhode Island)
G AJ English (Iona)
F/C Brad Waldow (Saint Mary’s)

No Players from the New Big East and only EC from the A10 representing a total of 24 teams from those 2 Conferences. Speaks for the respect that EC has garnered in only 1 year of College Ball. Outstanding accomplishment and certainly something that the URI Coaching Staff can and will point to in recruiting battles.
Great that EC is seeing time at the PG position, one that he really wants to excel at and sees as his greatest opportunity at the next level.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote:Only three kids from mid majors....URI, Iona, St. Mary's......
no, 4. Shawn Long is from Louisiana Lafayette of the Sun Belt Conference
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:The guy in that picture looks like Manute Bol.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/ ... rious-game
A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I have to give props to Raphielle Johnson, I tweeted to him asking how EC was doing and he responded. I then said I'd love to hear more on how he's doing and URI fans weren't getting much info. I was expected some tweets from him not it being a part of his article
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE