RI State Senate panel opens hearings on PawSox stadium proposal

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

RI State Senate panel opens hearings on PawSox stadium proposal

Unread post by OBRAM »

The Senate Finance Committee began its series of public hearings Thursday in an hours-long session that made clear this is only the first inning as the state considers whether to invest $23 million in an $83-million plan to build the Pawtucket Red Sox a new stadium in downtown Pawtucket.
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — On a night with plenty of baseball references, the Senate Finance Committee began its series of public hearings Thursday in an hours-long session that made clear this is only the first inning as the state considers whether to invest $23 million in an $83-million plan to build the Pawtucket Red Sox a new stadium in downtown Pawtucket.
Before Pawtucket Mayor Donald Grebien and PawSox Chairman Larry Lucchino even addressed the committee, five mayors from other Rhode Island communities, Rhode Island Commerce Secretary Stefan Pryor and Lt. Gov. Daniel McKee threw their support behind the plan. The mayors hailed from Johnston, Woonsocket, Providence, Cumberland and Central Falls, and North Providence’s mayor sent a key staffer.
Throughout more than three hours of presentations, senators asked key questions — before more than 70 members of the public even began to weigh in. All the while, Senate Finance Chairman William J. Conley Jr. promised everyone who signed in would get to speak.
Nearly four hours into the hearing, the committee heard from the first speaker opposed to the proposed deal: Pat Ford, chairman of the Rhode Island Libertarian Party and a self-described baseball fan.
-----------------------
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: RI State Senate panel opens hearings on PawSox stadium proposal

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Shit. Anybody going to propose a few dollars be sent URI's way to help fix the blight that is the East stands?

Right. Fat chance. As in slim and none.....and 'ol Slim you-know-what a long time ago.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Just call it Dunkin Donuts Stadium, and the public ( my neighbors think so), will think Dunkin Donuts built it instead of their tax dollars.
I want to see the new stadium, but if the state can spend money for McCoy and Dunkin Donuts Center, URI should be able to have much better facilities, and in the case of outside track, have an outside track.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

First you need a proposal. Let's get started, get the ball moving. Be proactive. Have a plan. Roll the plan out.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:Shit. Anybody going to propose a few dollars be sent URI's way to help fix the blight that is the East stands?

Right. Fat chance. As in slim and none.....and 'ol Slim you-know-what a long time ago.
I don't know why we have so many threads on this one topic, but as I said in the other thread, they're having one of the hearings at URI on 10/3. Pack the meeting and bring it up in the public comments.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Shit. Anybody going to propose a few dollars be sent URI's way to help fix the blight that is the East stands?

I don't know why we have so many threads on this one topic, but as I said in the other thread, they're having one of the hearings at URI on 10/3. Pack the meeting and bring it up in the public comments.
Excellent idea!!!
URI's Administration should be thinking this same way - use this as a golden opportunity.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think they do have proposals.

I've heard from someone who knows some things and they have many ideas about the bucket.

Between revitalizing the city/the stadium/the old stadium/the downtown area/ and the train station. I've heard some things.

I believe the model theyre going for is Amsterdam? Something like that. A European city centered around or I should say not centered on cars. An emphasis also on restaurants.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Excellent idea!!!
URI's Administration should be thinking this same way - use this as a golden opportunity.

The administration has to stay relatively neutral. However where oh where is our "illustrious" Fifth Quarter Club on this? Oh that's right, that would take work, organization, and mingling with regular fans, and they're too busy over at Ellery Pond congratulating themselves on how great they are.

You want to know why baseball facilities keep improving and football is stagnant, look at their booster organizations.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why does the administration need to remain neutral? Wouldn't the school administration Thorr and President Dooley be the key drivers of the concept? Plant the seeds?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well I'm sure they're saying they want this, but I don't think they can exactly take over the meeting with these plans. They would need to be neutral at the meeting. It's up to URI fans to pack it and bring up the problems with Meade.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pawtucket Red Sox stadium hearing stretches over 7 hours

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... er-7-hours
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:Pawtucket Red Sox stadium hearing stretches over 7 hours

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... er-7-hours
Wanted to match last night's Sox-Rays marathon...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pawsox stadium hearing at URI is tonight.

AGENDA
6-7:30 p.m.:

- Presentation: “Economic & Fiscal Benefits Analysis of a New Downtown
Ballpark” by Brailsford & Dunlavey

- Presentation: Representatives from Municap, Inc. will present details on tax incremental financing
and bonding as related to the proposed ballpark and ancillary development.

- Presentation: International League and Minor League Baseball officials will present on their fiscal
relationship with the Pawtucket Red Sox and how it relates to the proposed project.

7:30 – 10 p.m. - Public comment

Projo reporter will live tweet:
https://twitter.com/JournalKate
0 x