The "Hex" - World Cup 2018

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
The Dude
Tom Garrick

The "Hex" - World Cup 2018

Unread post by The Dude »

We don't play Mexico often, but when we do, we prefer dos a cero.
Stay thirsty my friends.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The "Hex" - World Cup 2018

Unread post by TruePoint »

Dos a cero!!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Cameron isn't on the roster for this due to injury
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
The Dude
Tom Garrick

I love the roster. I just hope JK puts the right ones on the field.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Welp.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we don't quality for the World Cup, Klinsman is gone........
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow, there's a big prediction.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
The Dude
Tom Garrick

USMNT has more talent than it's ever had in the past and yet JK still can't put the right 11 players on the field. I think JK should put one of the following line ups on the field.
Formation: 4-3-1-2
Yedlin-----------Carter-Vickers(or Besler or Cameron)----------Brooks-------------Johnson
----------Pulisic-------------------Cameron(or Jones)-------------------Green-------------
--------------------------------Kljestan(or Nagbe)--------------------------------
------------------------Wood-----------------------Morris---------------------------
OR Formation:4-3-3
Yedlin-----------Carter-Vickers(or Besler or Cameron)-----------Brooks------------Orozco
Gooch--------------------------------Cameron(or Jones)----------------------------Johnson
Pulisic----------------------------------------Wood--------------------------Green
OR Formation: 4-4-2
Yedlin------------Carter-Vickers(Besler or Cameron)-------------Brooks------------Johnson
Pulisic------------Cameron(or Nagbe)----------------------------Jones--------------Green
-----------------------Wood----------------------------Morris----------------------------------
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

He gone.

0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

It was time for Klinsmann to leave. He just wasn't getting it done. I think he did a good job of identifying talent and with giving young players a chance to contribute, but that's where it ends. In my opinion, Altidore, Bradley, Chandler, and Gonzales should never play another game for the USMNT. The USMNT has too much young talent to keep them on the bench. They are deeper than they have ever been. Now it's just a matter of finding the right coach who can put the correct 11 players on the field and who know when it's time to cut bait and move on from players who aren't performing well.
Last edited by The Dude 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Klinsmann was always destined to fail in my opinion. The US just doesn't have enough skillful players for a coach like Klinsmann. We rely heavily on our athleticism which will only get you so far in soccer.

Really hope Arena is not hired again, can't see us making any forward progress if he comes back.

And right after I posted this I just saw Arena got hired.
Last edited by josephski 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Massive coaching talent shortage... ugh. Add that to our on-field talent shortage.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

The prevailing thought of the analysts on TV seems to be that Arena may be simply the short term solution until after the World Cup, when the U.S. will have a chance to find a coach for the long term. I hope that is the case. I don't want to see Arena as the coach for the long term, since he's made some comments, about only wanting American born players on the team (which would exclude have the squad who have an American parent or who were raised in the U.S. but born somewhere else), that I don't agree with.
I'm ok with him being the coach until the World Cup is over though.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

anybody watching the Pulisic Show on FS1? US dismantling Honduras. Pulisic a goal and 3 assists, Dempsey returns to national team with a hat trick.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:anybody watching the Pulisic Show on FS1? US dismantling Honduras. Pulisic a goal and 3 assists, Dempsey returns to national team with a hat trick.
Wish I had
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Huge game Tues night at Panama. A win will put them up to 3rd place. If Costs Rica also loses then they'll be tied for 2nd!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wow big tough USA beating up on Honduras. So impressive!!!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Pulisic is unreal
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

US and Panama tied 1-1. Both goals late in the first half.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Mighty little Panama giving USA a hard time? We should win every game with exception of Mexico down there.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:Mighty little Panama giving USA a hard time? We should win every game with exception of Mexico down there.
Agreed, but Panama has been tough this Hex. I think they beat us like 4-0 in the fall.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The US has to be better than getting draws against teams like Panama....injuries or not.

They will likely end up qualifying for the WC....but not last long once there.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Anybody catch the Boy Wonder with two golazos last night in a big Hex win for the U.S.? Both were like real, world-class types of goals that you always see other countries score in international tournaments, unlike the stereotypical U.S. goals that come from relentless athleticism and opportunism.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So Pulisic is the real deal? He certainly seems to be producing well for his age as best I can tell and I see his name pop up on websites I follow, but I've always wondered how much is hype and people dying for us to have more world class players. I'm still very much learning a lot about soccer.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am nervous about overhyping Pulisic, but I feel like almost all U.S. soccer fans are in the wake of Freddy Adu and others more or less flaming out. Which in a way makes Pulisic's ascension even more incredible - people are resistant to anoint him prematurely, but he keeps producing: for one of the marquee club teams in one the world's best leagues, in the Champions League, and all he does is score goals for the USMNT. And not for nothing, and I am certainly not a professional soccer scout, but he just LOOKS so much different than every other player the U.S. has ever had, even guys like Donovan and Dempsey who have proven they could score goals in international play over and over. Nothing against those two guys, but when they would score goals they did it in a traditionally American Soccer kind of way. Pulisic looks like the kind of player that comes from one of the nations that usually produce world-class players, at least to me.
Last edited by TruePoint 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's great to hear. I'll definitely have to pay closer attention.

How do we stand in the Hex after last night? I'm assuming we're not going to get a great result in Azteca on Sunday.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If you assume a loss Sunday, I think 6 points in the last 4 games [2 wins[ gets them through to the World Cup, without sweating a 4th place finish in the Hex and a do or die playoff game in order to qualify.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Always good to get a point in Mexico
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Anyone else noticed the last two corner kicks (one by each) in stoppage time? Neither was played on net. It's as if each team had an "agreement" to tie and each get a point. There was no need for either to just essentially kick away in either corner.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The U.S. did not get a corner on the second-to-last possession of the game, even though the announcer said they had been awarded one. The U.S. throw-in was knocked around a little bit then went over the end line. It looked obvious to me that that should have been a corner, but the ref awarded Mexico a goal kick. But regardless, there wasn't a U.S. corner at the end of stoppage time there.

(side note: The announcer just went right along with all of this without acknowledging he had the call wrong initially or questioning the goal kick. The announcers might be the worst thing about U.S. soccer, which is saying a lot. The cluelessness of the announcers is exceptionally bad because most U.S. soccer fans are trying to get educated about the sport and could benefit immensely from smart, insightful commentary. At the same time, the U.S. soccer audience is uniquely unqualified to identify subpar announcing in which they are being misled or given bad information, as opposed to an American audience for football or baseball or basketball.)

As for the Mexico corner, the U.S. stacked the box because of the game/time situation. Mexico attempted to play the corner out to try to set up a shot or an entry pass from outside the penalty area, which may have worked but they ran out of time. One thing that is important to think about when watching soccer is that unlike every other sport, the players do not know exactly how much time they have left. It is one of the more quirky and quaint things about soccer, and they could obviously change it if they wanted to but they obviously don't for some reason.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:The U.S. did not get a corner on the second-to-last possession of the game, even though the announcer said they had been awarded one. The U.S. throw-in was knocked around a little bit then went over the end line. It looked obvious to me that that should have been a corner, but the ref awarded Mexico a goal kick. But regardless, there wasn't a U.S. corner at the end of stoppage time there.

(side note: The announcer just went right along with all of this without acknowledging he had the call wrong initially or questioning the goal kick. The announcers might be the worst thing about U.S. soccer, which is saying a lot. The cluelessness of the announcers is exceptionally bad because most U.S. soccer fans are trying to get educated about the sport and could benefit immensely from smart, insightful commentary. At the same time, the U.S. soccer audience is uniquely unqualified to identify subpar announcing in which they are being misled or given bad information, as opposed to an American audience for football or baseball or basketball.)

As for the Mexico corner, the U.S. stacked the box because of the game/time situation. Mexico attempted to play the corner out to try to set up a shot or an entry pass from outside the penalty area, which may have worked but they ran out of time. One thing that is important to think about when watching soccer is that unlike every other sport, the players do not know exactly how much time they have left. It is one of the more quirky and quaint things about soccer, and they could obviously change it if they wanted to but they obviously don't for some reason.
Watch it again...around the 90th min (maybe it was just before stoppage time, but I think it was after), the US was awarded a corner and (I don't remember the players) one kicked it into someone else right there and it went out. Unless that play was deemed not a corner so the play didn't really happen?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No, I was just referring to something later in the game, which I thought was what you were talking about. I'm not sure what happened with that one you just mentioned. But I'm pretty confident that whatever happened it wasn't because the US didn't want to score.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:No, I was just referring to something later in the game, which I thought was what you were talking about. I'm not sure what happened with that one you just mentioned. But I'm pretty confident that whatever happened it wasn't because the US didn't want to score.
Either way, both plays (one by each side) were at the very least dumb. Neither had a chance of a goal, especially given the fact that it was in stoppage time.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

failed to qualify...wow just wow

So embarrassing
0 x
Clapton is God
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Cameron, our best defender, has to be hurt, right? I'd say not playing him while freaking Trinidad and Tobago scored twice is a firing offense, but...

If you can't get the United States to qualify you should be fired no matter what. Soccer has really been coming on strong in this country but it still needs as much exposure as possible. This country really only cares about the World Cup, so to lose one cycle could really set things back. Pulisic could end up being the best player we've ever produced when all is said and done, so for him to miss a World Cup is criminal.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The people that care...really really care...no doubt about it.
Unfortunately, there just aren't enough of them to make a difference...
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

That was embarrassing last night. Cameron on the bench all night while Gonzalez played awful. Bobby Wood was lost all night and yet he stayed on the field. Time for an enima for US Mens soccer
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

WHAT? USA failed to qualify out of our crap confederation?? All those tiny little islands and poor countries are too good for dysfunctional US Soccer? Fire everyone.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

The US has no excuse. There is zero good reason for the US to not qualify for EVERY world cup! It should be between them and Mexico for the Concacaf 1 & 2. I can see it if they finished 3rd occasionally as Costa Rica is decent and there could be another team here and there that could make a run now and then. But really, this is a disgrace! I was looking forward to seeing Pulisic on this type of stage. We wasted Donovan (who should have been at least a sub in 2014) and Dempsey's USMNT's careers and now maybe Pulisic's? They've gone seriously downhill since 2002 (in which they completely outplayed Germany in a quarterfinal loss! I'm disgusted.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Imagine, the worlds Super power and we can't compete with islands and 3rd world countries. No excuse.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:Imagine, the worlds Super power and we can't compete with islands and 3rd world countries. No excuse.

Excuse = Not enough people care. Not to take anything away from those that do care...there just isn't enough of them.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Imagine, the worlds Super power and we can't compete with islands and 3rd world countries. No excuse.

Excuse = Not enough people care. Not to take anything away from those that do care...there just isn't enough of them.
Exactly, soccer is the only major sport in many of these smaller countries, its all they know, they dont have the money or infrastructure to support any other sport . Soccer has/will never be able to compete with the top major sports in the US (baseball, football, basketball and hockey to a lesser extent).
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Shinze88 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Exactly, soccer is the only major sport in many of these smaller countries, its all they know, they dont have the money or infrastructure to support any other sport . Soccer has/will never be able to compete with the top major sports in the US (baseball, football, basketball and hockey to a lesser extent).
Both you and NYGFan are talking out of your asses. It's nothing to do we people caring or not, it's about the currently development of players. Coaches are too focused on relying on athleticism rather than teaching the technical and tactical side of the game from an early age.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It does have to do with people caring...and the right people caring...and that's not happening right now. People - the right people, the ones that can make that boat float or not - don't care enough to invest in paying enough of the right experts enough to teach the "technical and tactical side of the game from an early age" (or, combating whatever the lack is these days). If the US was mediocre at something that enough of us cared about...we'd invest in getting better...but...we don't, so we don't... and the people who care, will remain outraged, and the rest (gi-normous majority)...will continue to not care.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:It does have to do with people caring...and the right people caring...and that's not happening right now. People - the right people, the ones that can make that boat float or not - don't care enough to invest in paying enough of the right experts enough to teach the "technical and tactical side of the game from an early age" (or, combating whatever the lack is these days). If the US was mediocre at something that enough of us cared about...we'd invest in getting better...but...we don't, so we don't... and the people who care, will remain outraged, and the rest (gi-normous majority)...will continue to not care.
When has the US ever not been good at a specific sport and then invested money into it to be the best? We have the best NFL players because we're one of the only countries that plays football. We have the best basketball players because the sport was invented here and slowly other countries started playing as well, same can probably be said for baseball. Hockey we have the best league but don't have the best players which I doubt will ever change. One thing I will say is that the money we put into basketball has definitely helped keep us ahead but it's not like we were ever playing catch up to other countries.

Also maybe you're not familiar with European soccer but the money that goes to coaches over there is more than most sports in the US. So not only would we need to invest, but we'd most likely have to invest more in soccer than any other sport.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:It does have to do with people caring...and the right people caring...and that's not happening right now. People - the right people, the ones that can make that boat float or not - don't care enough to invest in paying enough of the right experts enough to teach the "technical and tactical side of the game from an early age" (or, combating whatever the lack is these days). If the US was mediocre at something that enough of us cared about...we'd invest in getting better...but...we don't, so we don't... and the people who care, will remain outraged, and the rest (gi-normous majority)...will continue to not care.
When has the US ever not been good at a specific sport and then invested money into it to be the best? We have the best NFL players because we're one of the only countries that plays football. We have the best basketball players because the sport was invented here and slowly other countries started playing as well, same can probably be said for baseball. Hockey we have the best league but don't have the best players which I doubt will ever change. One thing I will say is that the money we put into basketball has definitely helped keep us ahead but it's not like we were ever playing catch up to other countries.

Also maybe you're not familiar with European soccer but the money that goes to coaches over there is more than most sports in the US. So not only would we need to invest, but we'd most likely have to invest more in soccer than any other sport.
Sums it up perfectly....and that (Euro-type cash) is never ever ever going to happen, so people that like soccer should get used to US being mediocre at it. If enough of the right people thought it was worth it, we'd be hiring away those foreign "tech tact ticians" to replace the coaches that are too focused on relying on athleticism...or, forcing those athlete coaches to get with the program, wouldn't we?

I get that you care about the sport but, until people that can influence it do...this is what you get...and not sure it's going to change any time soon.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!