NY Giants

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: NY Giants

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And the defense which was so good last season can't stop anybody in crunch time. Pathetic.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

One of the all time great N.Y. Giants

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... dies-at-90
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Article could have been written any week during this season, just swap out some names. Not sure how B McADoo keeps his job...the whole season has been a spectacular train wreck. Maybe they didn't have all the talent needed to avoid it being a regular train wreck, but as far as train wrecks go, this is spectacular. (I think it started with the slicked back hair Doo....but, who knows...)

When you suck this bad on the field, it takes some doing to actually have MORE off the field issues. Like...you don't see this in Cleveland or SF, do you? (Maybe you do, I just don't care enough to research it).

Be sure to watch the video embedded in the story, it's spot on...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/gian ... eam-rules/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Maras are proud people, this must sting to no end being basically the laughingstock of the league right now....even beating out those loveable losers in Cleveland and SF.....

The Giants aren't one to make quick or hasty decisions when it comes to team management, but it certainly looks like McAdoo and Reese should be shown the door......they will likely wait until after the season, but in Reese's case a new GM should be in place sooner rather than later, it takes time to build relationships at that level....

What worries me is that the Giants if they keep Reese could make more dumb personnel decisions concerning the 2018 draft....especially if they pick a QB.....a bad choice there will screw them over for years like it did the Jets...although even the Jets have a pulse right now, and are closer imo to becoming relevant again.

P.S. What I saw on that field last Sunday was a team that basically quit, especially on defense.

Not acceptable behavior on any level in any sport. The coach bears responsibility for that. Time to clean house.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The whole team seems to have quit, except for the rookie TE. And here's McAdooF saying they "have a run in them"...as the clever comment at the bottom of the story references...I think he meant 'they have the runs'... although, I think if they did, they might have a little more pep in their steps.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/gian ... -pep-talk/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they lose to SF, then batten down the hatches.....they are going for that number one pick in the draft.....now if there was some way to play and lose to the Browns they could lock that sucker up......tank time baby
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm surprised they're still employing McAdoo, since the team hasn't shown much of a pulse. Without OBJ to bail them out by turning 7-yard slants into 77-yard touchdowns, the offense looks pretty, pretty, pretty bad, and I think it's hard for any defense to stay motivated if they know they essentially need to have a shut-out to win. I'd hope the focus would be on getting some offensive line help - either for Eli, if you wanna stick with him for one more try, or to develop whoever the next QB will be.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I’m not sure the Maras have ever fired a coach mid season. Or a GM. They are patient and they have been successful for the most part
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Well other than that 15 year run they had in the late 60s and 70s for those of us who remember
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And they won't this season....fire anybody mid season that is.....just hope they do something after the season.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good thing I have a party to go to late this afternoon....won't have to watch 3 hours of bad football....titanic struggle for the 2nd pick in the draft as of right now....lmao
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well I watched some of it.....what a joke the defense is.

Jenkins should pay back his salary....he's quit....half speed all day....did Joe Montana just return?

The remaining 7 games should be a lot of fun.....don't see how this staff and Reese can last the season...and they shouldn't.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well...I don't usually get into the weeds in football (y'know, like...defense...or linemen... :lol: :lol: ), but I hear the Jints just picked up this linebacker from the Rams... hopefully he can help...

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So 208, who should the Giants draft with the 2nd pick?

That RB from Penn St. would be my choice.

Build that O Line with a couple of lower picks....this west coast shit didn't do anything for them.....give Eli time, and he'll be plenty good enough for a couple more years.

If they pick Darnold, I'll puke.....he's got all the tools, but his decision making is suspect....we don't need another Geno Smith.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I really don't know who they should pick in the draft, but they do need to keep Eli upright.
Sad to say, I don't usually know the names of the guys responsible for that ;)

I'm way more interested in QB's, RB's TE's and WR's :lol:
And to that, I would say....let's get Dez!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2321 ... ants-crazy
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah Dez and Beckham on the same team.....oy vey!!!!! Talent yes.....but

Need to hire a room full of baby sitters.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Giants got their man in the draft....Barkley....now go get a couple more offensive linemen....

If they do....I expect a huge turnaround next season.....
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Giants got their man in the draft....Barkley....now go get a couple more offensive linemen....

If they do....I expect a huge turnaround next season.....
I kind of think they got the order backwards there - get the linemen, then the running back - but I don't think it was supposed to be an especially strong draft for OL.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Giants need to hold a tryout for offensive linemen....their o line is truly offensive. How Flowers still has a job is mind boggling.

Anybody who can block a fire hydrant should get hired.

It's amazing to me why they don't seem to value that part of their offense. Eli is a pocket passer only, especially at his age now.

Until they address this issue, they will continue to suck and waste their playmakers' talents.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

OMG the Giants are awful......even the defense sucks......some day they will turn it around.....but it looks like when it does, there will be a new QB....Eli is done. Hopefully he will call it quits after this season.

Barkley is special though. Hope his career with the Giants isn't wasted.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The thing with Eli is that he was for a period of time maybe one of the most overrated QB's in NFL history. You cannot take away winning two Super Bowls/MVPs, but his problem was that while he would get hot and go on one of those unbelievable runs in the postseason, he would go years of struggling (personally or as a team). His career record is 112-108. If you take out the last two years, it only jumps up to 108-91. There were years the team could have been better, but he played quite awful. Take 2010 when the team finished 10-6 but he threw 31 TDs to 26 Ints or 2013 when the team finished 6-10 but he threw 19 TD's to 27 INT's. His candidacy to the HOF will be quite interesting as he has the postseason success/lore to belong, but some truly horrific statistics at times. There is a modern induction of Kurt Warner that could make for an interesting case sample. Going a little further back, you have guys like Warren Moon and Dan Fouts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I've always been an Eli guy, but he clearly has lost the last step he had. You can say some players lose "a" step, because they are not quite as quick as they used to be, but Eli really only ever had one step, and he's lost it. I don't believe I have ever seen a more immobile player in professional sports. Name a player in pro sports and I will take that guy in a 40 yard dash over Eli. I just had both knees replaced and I'm pretty sure I could catch him and force a fumble.

Yes, the o-line is not good, but, they actually look to be giving him more time this year than last. No matter, he still can't even get out of his own way. It's so bad now that, when he drops back, you don't worry about interceptions or sacks, you just hope he doesn't fumble because someone breathed on him. Sad...tough to watch. Once again, the Jints have played their last meaningful game of the year in October and I probably won't watch any NFL til playoffs, if then...

Eli should pack it in now and hit the commercial trail with his brother, do an SNL together, etc....

Thankfully, there's the Red Sox, B's and Celtics...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I don't think they'll ever win with OBJ on that team -- he has been a "me-first" player his entire career. Based on comments on recent weeks, I thought he wasn't even a factor on the offense (and I'll be honest I have not watched one Giants game this year), but I see he is on pace for 120 catches and 1,350 yards. He's just not getting the TD production (only 1 through 6 games), but he's getting the ball.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

OBJ is getting the ball two yards off or behind the line of scrimmage, or, if the wind is blowing right and, Eli has a clean pocket, an 8 yard slant with hopefully a lot of YAC. He is not any part of the problem at all. H'es "getting the ball", but Eli (my guy) can no longer get the ball downfield, so they can't even use the real threat that OBJ is. A receiver so good and so fast, the QB can't even get him the ball deep - not the problem. The jints even know it themselves, because they don't even have any TARGETS downfield*. I'll take my chances with OBJ on my team any day...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm no Giants fan, but if you made a list of the Giants major issues right now OBJ wouldnt even crack the top 10.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I'm no Giants fan, but if you made a list of the Giants major issues right now OBJ wouldnt even crack the top 100.
FIFY
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I'm no Giants fan, but if you made a list of the Giants major issues right now OBJ wouldnt even crack the top 100.
FIFY
Ha thanks! Originally I put "50" and then changed it because I didnt want to seem like I was exaggerating too much, but I agree with you 100 is probably even fair.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Giants have a lot of work to do, free agent wise and the draft, to get back to being anything close to a playoff team.

Not just a new QB and an o line, but the defense can't stop anybody especially late in games......got to get a pass rush......

Got to give the new regime a little time to get these things done.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

If I'm OBJ I'm pissed too!! The giants suck and have sucked the whole time he's been there, it's not just Eli obviously and OBJ is no dummy, he knows that, but if you take a below average QB (admit it, 'my guy' is done) and put him behind a bad line you get the results the Giants get.

Since you can't get a whole new O line mid-season, what's left but throwing other QB's out there to the wolves? THAAAAAAAA New York Football Giants SUCK!

Poor OBJ, it's only going to get marginally better for him when he ends up on the TB Bucks, this guy has the talent and the drive to be a hall of famer but has been stuck on the NFL's worst team (yes, even worse than the Browns) for half of his viable playing days. IDK if he's a free agent any time soon but he should go to the Chiefs for peanuts just to play where he would get the chance to show the world what he could do in a good offense. He'd get 2500 yards and 18 TD's in a season if you dropped him on that team.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I thought coming into this year, maybe with a better o-line, Eli would be better. Their line isn't great by any means, but it is better than last year, and Eli is not. I'd challenge anyone to name a more immobile current pro athlete than Eli. He makes Ben Roethlisberger, Sandy Leon, or even the one-legged Aaron Rodgers, look like Usain Bolt. It's sad to turn on a game and see the mobility that even 'average' quarterbacks have, knowing what the Jints are stuck with.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Giants 4th and 1 and don’t go for FG in 2nd Q?
Eli running from the 1 fails twice!! in last minute of game and NYG with no time outs left? Must passing downs considering no time outs left.
Giants are doing a great job of positioning for the 2019 Draft.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

wait...what...? There's NFL football still being played?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like the Giants have already raised the white flag on this season.

Trying to position themselves for next year's draft, and getting younger.

Makes sense, as long as they make the right choices....which is no sure thing with their recent history....not counting Barkley of course.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Looks like the Giants have already raised the white flag on this season.

Makes sense, as long as they make the right choices....which is no sure thing with their recent history....not counting Barkley of course.
2 trades Apple and now Harrison.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2506 ... round-pick
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Looks like the Giants have already raised the white flag on this season.

Or...maybe they're the Baltimore Orioles 2.0 - tank, trade away players to tank some more.
Oh, wait, they already can't tank anymore. Maybe ownership thought there was a risk they could win a couple games this year.

Not seeing much value in the picks they're getting (4th, 5th, 7th)...the salary dump + tankwork seems to be more of a driver.

The Justin Herbert sweepstakes is ON.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They need more than just an o line......QB obviously, but the defense can't stop anybody either. Other than Vernon, who's been hurt, no pass rush will get you beat and beat often in today's NFL.

They have pieces, but way too many holes in that puzzle.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

Or...maybe they're the Baltimore Orioles 2.0 - tank, trade away players to tank some more.
Oh, wait, they already can't tank anymore. Maybe ownership thought there was a risk they could win a couple games this year.

Not seeing much value in the picks they're getting (4th, 5th, 7th)...the salary dump + tankwork seems to be more of a driver.

The Justin Herbert sweepstakes is ON.
The picks are OK, but they probably don't have much leverage when it comes to trading anyway. Unless they're dealing Barkley or OBJ for some reason, who's giving up a first, second or third round pick for guys on a bad team? The deals seem to simply be to get out from salary and to get whatever return they can, and if they lose a couple more games in the process, that's fine. Usually better in the NFL to be 1-15 than 8-8.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not NYG related, but did anybody see the highlight reel TD catch by Moe Allie Cox of the Colts today?

Looks like he's adapted really well from his BB days at VCU to pro football.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Only 3 games out...run the table and they're in the tourney. 8-)
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

@Eagles, Home vs. Bears, @Skins, Home vs. Titans, @Colts , Home vs. Cowboys the rest of the way. I say we go 3-3 and finish 6-10. Woohoo.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago @Eagles, Home vs. Bears, @Skins, Home vs. Titans, @Colts , Home vs. Cowboys the rest of the way. I say we go 3-3 and finish 6-10. Woohoo.
I somehow think that both the Giants and Cowboys will go 8-8 and miss the playoffs, managing to maximize the dissatisfaction with their respective fan bases. (I jest, but only slightly.)
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If you aren't watching Giants-Bears right now, you could be missing one of the crappiest games of the year.
Perfect for those that love the efficient passing game - Combined QBR - both quarterbacks: 91.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Beckham threw a bomb
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jints can't decide if they want to tank or win the division.

Hey Cris, Al...is it Zippered Sweater Night in America or what?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Never a dull moment with that team.....somehow they won it.....if they had lost that game they would have to answer to the Jets on how to blow games every which way imaginable.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sooooo.....looks like the Gmen are still in it. Aye yi yi yi...

DAN SCHNEIER CBSSports.com:
----------
Giants path to win the NFC East: Here's who to root for/against

After an upset victory in Week 13 over the previously 8-3 Chicago Bears, the Giants now have a glimmer of hope. There is a slim and narrow path for the Giants to make the playoffs by winning the NFC East division and we will break that down here today. Let's jump right in.
STEP 1 IS ALREADY COMPLETE: EAGLES NEEDED TO DEFEAT THE REDSKINS
STEP 2: THE EAGLES DEFEAT THE COWBOYS (WEEK 14)
STEP 3: THE RAMS DEFEAT THE EAGLES (WEEK 15)
STEP 4: THE COLTS DEFEAT THE COWBOYS (WEEK 15)
STEP 5: THE JAGUARS DEFEAT THE REDSKINS (WEEK 15)
STEP 6: THE TEXANS DEFEAT THE EAGLES (WEEK 16)
STEP 7: TITANS DEFEAT THE REDSKINS (WEEK 16)
STEP 7: THE BUCCANEERS DEFEAT THE COWBOYS (WEEK 16
STEP 8: THE REDSKINS DEFEAT THE EAGLES (WEEK 17)
STEP 9: THE GIANTS DEFEAT THE COWBOYS (WEEK 17)

FINAL NFC EAST STANDINGS
Again, if the schedule plays out as outlined above, here's how the Giants end up winning the NFC East:
1. New York Giants (8-8)
2. Dallas Cowboys (7-9)
3. Washington Redskins (7-9)
4. Philadelphia Eagles (7-9)

------------

They might not make the playoffs, but, at least they aren't going to get a very good draft pick either.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Path to the playoffs update (wildcard) for your G-men:

The Giants win their final three games: vs. Titans, at Colts and vs. Cowboys.
The Vikings lose two of their final three games: vs. Dolphins, at Lions and vs. Bears.
The Packers lose one of their final three games: at Bears, at Jets and vs. Lions.
The Panthers lose two of their final three games: vs. Saints, vs. Falcons and at Saints.
The Eagles lose two of their final three games: at Rams, vs. Texans and at Redskins.
The Redskins lose two of their final three games: at Jaguars, at Titans and vs. Eagles.

Saw a tweet or something somewhere that said something to the effect of ..
"One of the best things about the NFL this year is watching how bad the Giants are at tanking."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well it might not be the smart thing to try to actually win games, but that's what Mara said they would do.....

Hey the O line is getting better, but a little too late to save this season.

Saw where Eli is 116-111 in his career.....not a good look for a possible future Hall of Famer to have a career losing record, is it?

Thank you Pats.

P.S. that Barkley fellow is a monster. Imagine if the O line was better from the get go this season.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

OBJ gone. Not really surprising. I do think the Jints can be just as bad without him next year as they were with him this year. On the other hand, the fact that Cleveland could be pretty good (3rd best odds behind KC and NE to win the AFC) sounds like something that could be fun to watch.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2624 ... obj-giants
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pretty surprised it was Cleveland that got him I thought it would be the 49ers or Rams

Giants got a lot for him though 1st 3rd and Peppers
0 x