NBA Draft Celtics #3 Pick Selection

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it

Who will the Celtics take with the #3 Pick Thursday night?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

Ben Simmons
No votes
Brandon Ingram
No votes
Kris Dunn
13%
Jamal Murray
7%
Marquiss Chriss
No votes
Dragan Bender
No votes
Jaylen Brown
13%
Buddy Hield
7%
They take one of above but trade
33%
They take someone other than the above list
No votes
They trade the #3 pick before the draft
27%

Total votes: 15

ramster
Frank Keaney

NBA Draft Celtics #3 Pick Selection

Unread post by ramster »

Predict the Celtics move
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Re: NBA Draft Celtics #3 Pick Selection

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I think they take Dunn and I cry a little.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Pick Dunn and trade him to Sixers. But anything can happen.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think they take Dunn, keep him, and get rid of Rozier in a move that I still don't fully understand.

Edited to add:

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't care if they pick done because of the PC thing. I loved Eric Williams when he was a Celtic. I just think there is basically no chance that Dunn turns into anything other than a NBA journeyman, second-unit type of player. I really liked him as a college player, but taking him #3 overall seems like drafting him half a round too early.

The reason I want to make the pick and not trade it for a Gordon Hayward type of player is that I want to roll the dice and see if you can steal a hall of famer. It isn't likely to hit, but it is possible. You could get Steph Curry, or Paul Pierce, or Dirk, or Kobe or Dwyane Wade. None of those guys were known to be the caliber player they turned out to be. So people that say that this class is two men deep are likely to be wrong. I'd like to take a shot at finding who outside the top two is going to be future star, and we have our pick of everyone outside the top two that we want. But I can just about guarantee that the sleeper hall of famer in this draft is not Kris Dunn.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can't see Dunn going so high as #3 because I would want a Top 3 pick to be a descent shooter. Dunn is not a great shooter. PC also has Thomas who had a very solid year. Could be Celtics are making it sound like Dunn is their pick at #3 just to see who comes out of the woodwork to try to trade up for him. Maybe a few teams behind them trade up for Dunn and the Celtics still are able to land their preferred guy. Lot of poker going on here through the media, etc. as well it should be.
I like Jaylen Brown with the 3rd pick and of course Simmons or Ingram if a huge surprise was that they did not go in the first two picks.
Brown was not as awesome as expected at Cal in his 1st year but was also teamed with Ivan Rabb and maybe the team chemistry just was not the best - only one year to judge. But I think Brown would go straight into the starting line up. He may turn out to be an excellent pro.

After Brown for big men I also like in order:
Domantas Sabonis - guy has huge upside potential
Jakob Poeltl - solid, physical, gifted player from Austria who will have a nice career
Marquese Chriss - huge potential
Thon Maker - and have no idea why Maker is down at the bottom of the 1st round in many mock drafts. I have seen Maker play AAU for 3 years now and always been impressed
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster I would sign up for Brown at #3 and I'd consider reaching on Maker at #16. I want to the upside and am willing to take risks to find it. Either (or both) of these guys could bust but I also think they have very high ceilings.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Chriss definitely has big upside, but he's a project that's probably about 2-3 years away from showing results of that upside. Not ideal for the Celtics who are likely looking to take a "win now" approach.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:ramster I would sign up for Brown at #3 and I'd consider reaching on Maker at #16. I want to the upside and am willing to take risks to find it. Either (or both) of these guys could bust but I also think they have very high ceilings.
I totally agree TP
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

If its up to me, I'm picking Jaylen Brown.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bingo. Jaylen Brown it is. I really like Brown as a Celtic. He was my choice all along. Now get Sabonis, Maker or Poeltl at 16 and I'll be elated.
Big surprise to Jay Bilas who was sure Dunn was going #3.
Phoenix then surprises many by picking Bender #4
Minnesota takes Dunn at #5
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like the Brown pick, the French guy was surprising to me. Disappointing overall with no trades earlier in the draft. This summer will be interesting with free agency for sure though so i'm not giving up.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: Thon Maker - and have no idea why Maker is down at the bottom of the 1st round in many mock drafts. I have seen Maker play AAU for 3 years now and always been impressed
I read an article yesterday (maybe on Deadspin) that talked about how Maker was off many people's radar because there was real concern as to how old he actually was. The range of years I think they mentioned was that people think he could be anywhere from 19-23. If you think he is 22 or 23, the highlight videos of him in HS seem a little less impressive given he was literally an adult in this videos. You can imagine my surprise after seeing the mocks, reading that article, and then seeing him then taken in the lottery.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I wanted the Celtics to get Maker at #16 but unfortunately he got grabbed early.
Maker was very highly rated in his Soph and Jr years - even as high as the best player or top 3 in some rankings
At AAU tournaments fans and coaches would crowd the floor to watch the game that Maker was playing in the past few years.
Maker could end up surprising a lot of people who have discounted him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What exactly does this trade mean? Does this mean if Memphis ends up with a lottery pick in 2019 that the Celtic do not get it? Under what conditions does it become a second round pick?

From a draft review site:

But a Celtics trade did finally happen in the second round. Boston drafted Michigan State’s Deyonta Davis with the 31st overall pick and sent him and the 35th pick to the Memphis Grizzlies for a first-round pick in 2019.
That 2019 first-round pick is lottery protected and could turn into a second rounder under certain conditions.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I thought the pick we got from Memphis was actually the Clippers pick that Memphis had gotten earlier.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I thought the pick we got from Memphis was actually the Clippers pick that Memphis had gotten earlier.
Yes, it is the Clippers 2019 pick.

Co how does this work when they say it is protected?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Clippers pick is lottery protected in 2019 in 2020. I see via RealGM.com that if the C's don't get any 1st, they get the Clips 2nd round pick in 2022.

Teams can basically set whatever stipulations they want. Top 3, Top 8, Top 12, Top 14, etc.

Boston even set Memphis a 2019 2nd round pick that's protected 31-55 and if they finish in that range, Memphis never sees anything.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Clippers pick is lottery protected in 2019 in 2020. I see via RealGM.com that if the C's don't get any 1st, they get the Clips 2nd round pick in 2022.

Teams can basically set whatever stipulations they want. Top 3, Top 8, Top 12, Top 14, etc.

Boston even set Memphis a 2019 2nd round pick that's protected 31-55 and if they finish in that range, Memphis never sees anything.
So RJ, bottom line go you think this trade of these two 2nd round picks was a great deal for Boston? Good deal? Fair or bad?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The issue for the Celtics heading into the draft was roster space flexibility. Not trading the top pick was just one more player to add to a crowded roster. 16 and 23 as Euros aren't always flashy but can be smart if they stash them overseas. 9 guys guaranteed to be back (barring trade) + 2 with player options + any drafted player + free agents. Can only carry 15. I don't think they maximized value with that trade because they were somewhat forced to make it. Teams knew they could use all the draft picks. I hated seeing them trade Davis because he is raw and at one point was a potential Top 10 pick. I don't think it's the end of the world but that pick could be anywhere from 24-30 assuming LAC keeps a core together and IMHO, those future picks don't have much value. Would they have been better with 31 now and letting him develop or 26 3 years from now? I'm sorry but the way this rebuild has gone, they are looking at the 45 year plan. The C's have a great base of young, complementary pieces, but they need a 1, they need a 2, and they may need a 3. They could realistically be 3 top guys away from being a Championship contender, and to this point it doesn't look like they've really improved that, at least short-term.
0 x