Copa America 2016

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Copa America 2016

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

After watching the Ecuador and Bolivia games I am cautiously optimistic about our chances in the Copa America. I think Klinsmann has finally found a lineup that can be dangerous. Columbia is going to be a huge challenge, but if we can steal a win or get a point I think our chances of advancing are high.

I'm pumped up for it to start! USA! USA!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Copa America 2016

Unread post by TruePoint »

Definitely a tough draw for the U.S. Our group looks difficult. But getting out of the group stage of the Copa on our home turf should not be too tall of a task for the U.S. if we are where we want to be at this point.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Will be interesting to see how we play. Columbia is probably the favorite to win our group but as you said TP, playing at home should really help us. If we finish second then we will most likely play Brazil so ideally we can pull off some upsets and finish first. Not finishing at least second in the group would be an awful showing for US soccer.

Also if anyone has the opportunity to go to any of the games at Gillette I'd high recommend it. I was able to see Spain play the US at Gillette after they won the world cup and it's truly impressive how much better at soccer the top countries in the world are than the US.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gotta have this one tonight
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Huge Huge game.... We lose this it's time to move on from Klinsmann
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

What a half!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The US under Klinsmann reminds me a lot of the Bruins under Julien. They're going to keep getting you to a point where you think that it's time to move on from the coach. And as soon as they get right to that edge, they do something to pull you back.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Then, it hits you and you remember..."oh yeah...it's soccer...who gives a rat's crack?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I enjoy watching soccer....and I am an old dude....having a harder time picking up lacrosse and it's rules...but I am trying because so many young athletes are playing it...

...these were sports for the effete intellectuals in the place I grew up....include tennis there as well....with a smattering of golf...

....if you were any kind of athlete it was baseball, American football, basketball...and then hockey (probably because of the costs involved in playing) that dominated our world...

I don't dismiss any sport however and try to find the joy it's aficionados have for it....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Then, it hits you and you remember..."oh yeah...it's soccer...who gives a rat's crack?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, hilarious. There's the insightful commentary we've come to expect from you. You know you don't have to comment on everything right?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

208 we get it you don't like soccer...it wasn't funny the first time and it's not funny this time... You really have nothing better to do?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:208 we get it you don't like soccer...it wasn't funny the first time and it's not funny this time... You really have nothing better to do?
I seriously believe some find it funny every time, but are afraid of the repercussions of admitting it...and depending on how the work week goes, sometimes I have better to do, sometimes I don't....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Then, it hits you and you remember..."oh yeah...it's soccer...who gives a rat's crack?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, hilarious. There's the insightful commentary we've come to expect from you. You know you don't have to comment on everything right?
Correct, but what would you do then? You'd block me if it wasn't for the fact you can't wait to read what I post next...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:208 we get it you don't like soccer...it wasn't funny the first time and it's not funny this time... You really have nothing better to do?
I seriously believe some find it funny every time, but are afraid of the repercussions of admitting it...and depending on how the work week goes, sometimes I have better to do, sometimes I don't....
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Great win now let's hope Costa Rica gets the upset
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
josephski
Tom Garrick

Huge upset by Costa Rica the other night to give us 1st in the group! Also a big win last night by Peru over Brazil to knock Brazil out of the tournament. In the quarterfinals we will play Ecuador and if we win that match we will most likely play Argentina who are looking like the favorite to win the tournament.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:Huge upset by Costa Rica the other night to give us 1st in the group! Also a big win last night by Peru over Brazil to knock Brazil out of the tournament. In the quarterfinals we will play Ecuador and if we win that match we will most likely play Argentina who are looking like the favorite to win the tournament.
Thursday 9:30pm EDT USA vs Ecuador will be a great game in Seattle
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Seattle is obviously a great venue for football, and the stadium is the same way for soccer. I've always wondered if Kraft would have had the stadium designed more like that one if the project started a couple years later. It feels like Gillette is a bit cookie cutter and the openness hurts crowd noise.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I highly recommend you take in the upcoming USA vs Ecuador game
If for no other reason but to watch Geoff Cameron from URI.
Geoff is a starting defenseman and easily the most successful soccer ever from URI
Consider Geoff plays in the Premier League for Stoke City and starts.
Only 3 other Americans in the premier league including 2 goalies who don't always start
Geoff is a truly great player.
He was amazing at URI
Soccer fans around the world know of Geoff more than most people in The US.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I would say he's the best ever, but I wouldn't say easily. Andy Williams put together a very long career in MLS and was a fixture for the Jamaican national team.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Geoff is a starting defenseman and easily the most successful soccer ever from URI
Only 3 other Americans in the premier league including 2 goalies who don't always start
He was amazing at URI
When is it/what channel? Perhaps will give it another try if there's no baseball....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:
He was amazing at URI
When is it/what channel? Perhaps will give it another try if there's no baseball....
Thursday night 9:30pm Fox Sports
Huge game. Geoff Cameron of URI starting defense
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I have tickets to the Red Sox, but am going to try to bail early and be home for the second half. I also have tickets to a quarter final Match of Group D winner (likely Argentina) and Group C runner up (currently Mexico, which will be great because my wife is Mexican, so she'll be excited).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Didn't realize there was another game at Gillette.....thanks Steviep...just got two tickets to the match....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

In SC, no Drive tomorrow and Red Sox not on, so maybe will try the soccer thing. After all, it's the most riotous sport on the planet!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Russia-fa ... os-2826971

“I don’t see anything wrong with the fans fighting,” Igor Lebedev, a member of the of the Russian soccer union’s executive committee, wrote on Twitter. “Quite the opposite, well done lads, keep it up!”

http://www.espnfc.us/russia/story/28941 ... -expulsion

Good times!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Who starts over Yedlin tonight ?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:http://www.espnfc.us/russia/story/28941 ... -expulsion

Good times!
I went to the Brazil-Venezuela match at Gillette in 2008 where Brazil suffered an unprecedented at the time loss. I don't know how they did it, but some Brazil fan was able to get a flare gun in the stadium and shot it off when they were unhappy with the play on the field. Like you said, good times.

Speaking of Venezuela and Gillette, Lionel Messi will be at Gillette Saturday night with Argentina for a match against Venezuela. He only played 45 minutes the last Argentina match, but this is a chance to see one of the two best players in the world in person.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Going to have to breakout my grandfather's two-TV approach tonight for Game 6 and Copa!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Game 6 Golden State vs Cleveland

USA vs Ecuador with URI's own Geoff Cameron in the starting line up

Red Sox vs Baltimore with both teams playing the rubber game of an important 3 game series and tied for 1st place

3 televisions needed tonight!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Baseball great on radio, anyways, ramster!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Eh, maybe not with the new announcer. Going from O'Brien to Neveritt was a massive drop off, to the point where listening on the radio is tough.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Neverett is bad but I think Merloni has been in the booth the last few games. He helps. Not sure why they didn't give it to him outright. He wanted it, apparently they wanted him on the station for middays.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I hope we can keep this 2-0 lead now at the 70th minute. Awesome game
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1st time for USA to COPA semifinals since 1995!!!!
The last 20 minutes were tremendous
Geoff Cameron played well.
Now do we see the worlds greatest player next?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Geoff did about a 6 minute interview after the game. He was superb!!
Just amazing how he talks so intelligently about the game.
He also received nice praise from the post game staff who specifically mentioned Geoff's precision passing in this game.
GO RHODY!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Good.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The Jones card was stupid - on his part. It's an automatic red to contact another player's face in a non-competitive situation. The Wood one was pretty weak but I also doubt a protest will get very far.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No Bobby Wood is going to hurt more than Jones. Him and Dempsey were forming a potent combo, and he is one of our true strikers that can get behind the defense. No one to replace what he was bringing of late. I hope they go with Nagbe in Bedoya's spot but I'm sure Klinsmann will opt for experience.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We can do this! Missing Jermaine Jones and Bobby Wood is a blessing in disguise. Nagbe and Pulisic are even better. Pulisic especially is the future of American soccer. People always ask "when are we gonna get a superstar? Where's the American Ronaldo?" Well this kid might be it. Time to put it all out there on the biggest stage. I really think we can win this tournament. Yes, it's gonna be tough, and I'd still be happy with 3rd, but this is the doorstep of the most exciting event in American soccer history. Let's win this shit!!!!!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Messi started tonight against Venezuela after having come off the bench in the previous two games due to injury. For sure he will start Tuesday night.
Dream match up for USA vs Argentina in the semis!!
Tuesday night 9pm
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think the players who stack up cards and are disqualified really hurt the team. Rarely do you say, "that was a good yellow card because it saved a goal". Lack of discipline could come back to hurt the "Yanks" in their next match.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I enjoyed my first international match at Gillette last night....wish the game had been closer so that the fans could have gotten into it.....chatted with RhodyRudder at the game...always a pleasure..
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Didn't watch the game but 4-0 is a slight embarrassment on home turf. It got pretty Messi out there.
0 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Zero shots on goal for the US, I could have done that.

I don't care that Bobby Wood and Jermaine Jones weren't playing that is an embarrassment to not put one shot on goal.

Not going to grow the sport if you can't even get a shot off nevermind a goal.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Very good teams can make decent teams look like bad teams. I don't have much else to add about the game last night. Overall, I think the tournament was still a success even though last night wasn't. Hopefully they can close it out with a win and take home third place, although that will be a tall order too.

Big picture, I think they have a pretty good core that will play in the next two world cups: Yedlin and Brooks in the back, plus Nagbe, Zardes, Pulisic and Wood are all under 25. Just need to keep finding guys to fill out the first team, and need those core guys to keep developing. Hopefully they all find homes with respectable Euro clubs (Zardes and Nagbe are still playing domestically, but the other 4 have homes abroad for now). You have to think Miazga will be a part of the above-mentioned core soon enough, and hopefully Julian Green and/or maybe Johannsson can get into the mix. There are promising guys in the system, need a bunch of them to hit.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

There are plenty of fire-hot takes today about last night, but I think this piece is pretty spot on.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/a-good-shi ... 1782414458
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Embarrassing but somewhat expected.

I read this somewhere else but every other team in the semis has a central midfielder who plays on a top club. Columbia has Cuadrado on Juventus, Chile has Vidal who plays for Bayern Munich, Argentina has Messi who plays for Barcelona, then the US has Michael Bradley who plays for Toronto FC.

The US desperately needs our better players to play in the best leagues possible. Pulisic playing for Dortmund will greatly help but when guys like Bradley leave Roma in Serie A and Dempsey leaves Spurs in the EPL to come back to the MLS it really hurts our development.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We all knew we were going to get beat by Argentina, but the lineup Klinsmann rolled out had zero shot of competing. Wondolowski is the latest Jason Kreis/Taylor Twellman. Outstanding MLS goal scorer, completely unable to translate his game to the international level. Michael Bradley shows all the promise in the world but crumbles in every big game. Dempsey can only do something with space. When he doesn't have a guy next to him that can get behind the defense (wood) he becomes a much weaker threat. Our guys just hit a wall and played against the best team in the world with the best player in the world on his A game.

The thing that annoys me most is Klinsmann wants the team to have a "Go for it!" mentality, but sabotages any possibility of that right from the start.

We still have a chance to end up third in a huge tournament. If you told me that before this started I would say our chances were slim. We can play with teams in the top 10 we can't play with teams in the top three.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING