NHL Hockey - Why offsides?

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NHL Hockey - Why offsides?

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Speaking of choking dogs, take the Bruins...please.

Seriously...why doesn't hockey get rid of offsides?
What is the worst thing that could happen?
And, maybe it's all bad...but what is it?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: NHL Hockey - Why offsides?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

"Forward passing within the neutral and defensive zones was first allowed in the NHL in 1927 but after a season of extremely low scoring in 1928–29, the league first allowed forward passing in all zones. The result was immediate and dramatic as the number of goals scored per game more than doubled immediately.[7] Under the NHL's new rule, there were no restrictions placed on where a player could be relative to the puck, resulting in players standing deep in their offensive zone while waiting for teammates to bring the puck forward. As a result, the NHL introduced the modern offside rule requiring that the puck precede attacking players on December 16, 1929, and which took effect six days later.[8]"

If you want to see hockey turn into a game more like soccer where forwards don't play much defense and defenders stay in their own zone with long Hail Mary passes between the ends of the rink being the whole game then getting rid of offsides is for you and Wayne Gretzky. Why do you want to get rid of it?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't know that I do want to get rid of it...not sure I understand what impact it would have. To me, it seems like it would increase scoring. You say 'make it like soccer'...not a soccer fan, but I think soccer should get rid of offsides, too...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Why does scoring need to be increased? And if scoring does need to be increased the best way to do it would be to limit goalie equipment sizes/increase net sizes.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Why does scoring need to be increased? And if scoring does need to be increased the best way to do it would be to limit goalie equipment sizes/increase net sizes.
I agree that would be the best way to increase scores...for me, the offsides isn't so much about increasing scoring as it is interrupting the flow of the game. Wasn't 'delayed' offsides a fairly new thing? Or, has that always been around? I love watching them go end to end...but don't like the stoppages for offsides, or even the circle backs and puck give-ups for delayed offsides. Still don't understand what the negative impact would be if they eliminated it?
0 x