Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote:As a Red Sox fan, I don't do no stupid sports curses.

(About to unload the Panda hopefully)

16/17 Rams are loaded like we haven't been in many, many years.
Lots of good things have happened to the Sox in the last dozen years or so...but, unloading the Panda...would easily be the best since October '13..... "We'll give you the panda and pay 95% of his salary. You give us one of those 5 gallon buckets to collect shagged balls in, AND promise not to return him under any circumstances."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: DeAndre' Bembry hires agent, declares for NBA Draft

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Sox 2 biggest defensive liabilities, by far, are at 1st and 3rd base. Otherwise they are rock solid.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

At least Ramirez is in theory athletic enough to play first, can hit, and would make a fine DH starting next year. Sandoval is a black hole of suck.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Every time I think about Pablo Sandoval I have to fight the urge to set myself on fire. And the most infuriating part is that EVERYONE understood before they signed him that it was going to be a disaster. It is the same thing as the stupid Carl Crawford signing and so many others like it before - Tom Werner's fingerprints are all over it, and that guy is one of the worst things to ever happen to a professional baseball organization. I don't blame Cherrington for the Pablo thing any more than I blamed Theo for the endless parade of bad free agent signings that he quite clearly did not want to make. Just look at what he has done in Chicago for all the proof you need about how he wanted to run the Red Sox. That thing is a juggernaut over there. They're going to be good for the next ten years just based on what they have in their system today.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Now TP, we wouldn't want you to set yourself on fire, now would we?

;) :lol:

Who could replace you?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Feel the burn.......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

"Black hole of suck"...good one. Have actually heard that Hanley is looking 'ok' to 'adequate' at first....(that would be a huge gift). I agree the Sandoval signing had disaster written all over it...but, I did think Crawford would be a good add at the time....(WRONG!)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You can count on Ramirez screwing up a number of times, especially under pressure with teams that like to run, etc.

He makes up for it with his hitting. I agree he will be a really good DH next season after Papi hangs them up....

All depends on the pitching, as to how far they go.......they have enough hitting I think.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:You can count on Ramirez screwing up a number of times, especially under pressure with teams that like to run, etc.

He makes up for it with his hitting. I agree he will be a really good DH next season after Papi hangs them up....

All depends on the pitching, as to how far they go.......they have enough hitting I think.
Hanley's offense has been in decline for a while now. Check the numbers.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:You can count on Ramirez screwing up a number of times, especially under pressure with teams that like to run, etc.

He did get off to a good start last year...was really the only guy with any pop in April. Then, his ineptitude in left caught up with him, I mean, he ran into the wall...oh wait...same thing, ne'er mind...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

He did get off to a good start last year...was really the only guy with any pop in April. Then, his ineptitude in left caught up with him, I mean, he ran into the wall...oh wait...same thing, ne'er mind...
He had great years in 06, 07 and 08. Since then, he's had a couple of decent years. And almost every year, he's landed on the DL, missing tons of games. He's one of the least motivated athletes I've ever seen. If you're counting on him to be 'the man' in the middle of the lineup, especially after Ortiz is gone, you're fooling yourself.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, he's not the greatest clubhouse guy, that's for sure.

As long as the Red Sox lack team chemistry, they won't win shit.

Wonder how things will be after Papi retires. Pedroia is on the downside too. He's still relatively young, but given how hard he plays and his size, he's going to get worn down [if he isn't a little already] at an earlier age.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:He had great years in 06, 07 and 08. Since then, he's had a couple of decent years. And almost every year, he's landed on the DL, missing tons of games. He's one of the least motivated athletes I've ever seen. If you're counting on him to be 'the man' in the middle of the lineup, especially after Ortiz is gone, you're fooling yourself.
In 2013 he had the highest OPS of his career, in 2014 he had a year right in line with the years you cited, and last year he was killing the ball until he hurt his shoulder going after a ball.

I feel like Hanley gets a bad rap from the media and fans. He never got enough credit for switching positions last year. And if Trot Nixon busted his shoulder going after a ball the fans and media would have given him a pass on poor production for three years after the injury.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:He had great years in 06, 07 and 08. Since then, he's had a couple of decent years. And almost every year, he's landed on the DL, missing tons of games. He's one of the least motivated athletes I've ever seen. If you're counting on him to be 'the man' in the middle of the lineup, especially after Ortiz is gone, you're fooling yourself.
In 2013 he had the highest OPS of his career, in 2014 he had a year right in line with the years you cited, and last year he was killing the ball until he hurt his shoulder going after a ball.

I feel like Hanley gets a bad rap from the media and fans. He never got enough credit for switching positions last year. And if Trot Nixon busted his shoulder going after a ball the fans and media would have given him a pass on poor production for three years after the injury.
So, you think he worked hard at learning that new position?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What's an average number of errors for a 1st baseman for a season?

15-20? 10-15? 20-25?

Whatever it is, expect HM to exceed it........
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

So, you think he worked hard at learning that new position?
LOL! HM has never worked hard at anything, has he? But, he still hit like a madman last April....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I guess I really knocked poor Bembry off the rails here with my sawx poach.

Ha ha ha

Oh well hate St. Joe's anyway so good....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:I guess I really knocked poor Bembry off the rails here with my sawx poach.

Ha ha ha

Oh well hate St. Joe's anyway so good....
Well played....very well played.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With Ramirez at first base Hurley cannot win the close games....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball - 2016

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This was originally split from the Bembry topic in NCAAs or Bust.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:With Ramirez at first base Hurley cannot win the close games....
Yep, and if Hanley keeps making errors, this will undoubtedly keep Rhody from making it to the big dance...and should lead to DH's ouster. NO EXCUSES.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Farrell can't win the close games. Oh, wait ...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And Travis Shaw has been named the starting third baseman. Farrell said that Shaw's defense, particularly his range, is what drove the decision. I hate Sandoval so much. He should have been embarrassed after last year and come into this year hungry. Instead he was hungry in the offseason and came in as big and terrible in the field as last year.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:And Travis Shaw has been named the starting third baseman. Farrell said that Shaw's defense, particularly his range, is what drove the decision. I hate Sandoval so much. He should have been embarrassed after last year and come into this year hungry. Instead he was hungry in the offseason and came in as big and terrible in the field as last year.
I'm thinking that this announcement may be a precursor to trading Sandoval to San Diego for Shields. Otherwise, we're looking at some interesting clubhouse dynamics to start the season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't think so, at least nothing seems imminent. Why risk having an angry Sandoval sitting around the clubhouse and why give up leverage in negotiations with another team? If they were that close on a trade there's no need to announce this decision, the trade would have sorted it out.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Copied from a poster on Sons of Sam Horn:

"With Panda getting benched, the Sox have $170MM remaining guaranteed salary committed to 5 reserve position players.

$75.0 - Sandoval
$56.5 - Castillo
$21.0 - Craig
$13.0 - Young
$ 4.5 - Hanigan

The Sox have EXACTLY the same $170MM of guaranteed money allocated to the 9 opening day starters.

$84 - Pedroia
$66 - Ramirez
$16 - Ortiz
$ 4 - Bogaerts/Holt/Betts/Bradley/Swihart/Shaw"

This just goes to show how awful the front office has been for a while, although it might give you hope in the future if their minor league system can be as productive as it's been with Bogaerts, Betts, and Bradley.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:And Travis Shaw has been named the starting third baseman. Farrell said that Shaw's defense, particularly his range, is what drove the decision. I hate Sandoval so much. He should have been embarrassed after last year and come into this year hungry. Instead he was hungry in the offseason and came in as big and terrible in the field as last year.
It is truly astounding that an elite player can show such a lack of pride in his performance.

I am shocked.....

Maybe the Padres will bail us out.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If he was hungry in the offseason he certainly was not hungry for long :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He knew exactly how to solve that problem
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I think Baseball Prospectus once had a study that suggested the worst free agent investments were in heavy first basemen, because if they slip even a bit on offense, they're completely worthless. Sandoval is showing it might not be great to invest in "thick" third basemen either. (Then again, the 1-in-whatever success of Miguel Cabrera will probably convince teams that Their Guy is the one worth investing in...)
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't think so, at least nothing seems imminent. Why risk having an angry Sandoval sitting around the clubhouse and why give up leverage in negotiations with another team? If they were that close on a trade there's no need to announce this decision, the trade would have sorted it out.
Any Sandoval "trade" would probably be a bit of an unofficial release. i.e. The Sox eat 75 to 90 percent of the money of his deal, and the Padres (or another team) send over a minor or non-prospect that gets cut.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
If he was hungry in the offseason he certainly was not hungry for long :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He knew exactly how to solve that problem
The hunger I was referring to in the offseason was for the buffet line.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
I think Baseball Prospectus once had a study that suggested the worst free agent investments were in heavy first basemen, because if they slip even a bit on offense, they're completely worthless. Sandoval is showing it might not be great to invest in "thick" third basemen either. (Then again, the 1-in-whatever success of Miguel Cabrera will probably convince teams that Their Guy is the one worth investing in...)
And part of that theory is that a heavy first baseman that slips athletically has nowhere else to go defensively on the diamond. Their only option is to be terrible at first or move to DH.

Sandoval, defensively, could only move to first or DH. The problem is his bat isn't really good enough to play at either of those positions, especially at that money. Plus we have better options at both positions. Maybe next year you can have Hanley at DH and Sandoval at first, but do you really feel great about that? And that doesn't solve this year.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:With Ramirez at first base Hurley cannot win the close games....
Yep, and if Hanley keeps making errors, this will undoubtedly keep Rhody from making it to the big dance...and should lead to DH's ouster. NO EXCUSES.
I heard Hanley can"t shoot free throws either.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think people are underestimating this sox team, there is a lot of talent. Mookie could be a future MVP, hes the entire package. The rotation is difficult to break down but its not bad. The linup has speed and power. Pablo was benched and we will be better without him, hes a defensive liability.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seems odd that the manager had to announce Sandoval would not be starting. Like it was close? The guy is horrible.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

lots of questions in that rotation, other than Price
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The Padres have a good young third baseman. Why the hell would they want Sandoval?
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Fundamentally Ramirez is one of the worst baseball players I've ever seen. Yeah he can hit but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote:
Ryan Howard. 125 million dollars.

Yay, Phillies.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
Ryan Howard. 125 million dollars.

Yay, Phillies.
Ha, yeah, that's who I was thinking of specifically. Keith Law at ESPN was crapping on that extension the second it was signed and took a laughable amount of heat from Phillies fans as a result.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Is Jake Arrieta becoming one of the best pitchers in the league?
He was awesome last season, his last 10 regular season starts (including last night) I think I saw on ESPN that he has given up 2 earned runs?
He's such an interesting story, 20-25 with a 5.46 ERA from 2010-2013 with the Orioles.
But in 2014 at age 28 with the Cubs, 10-5, 2.53 ERA.
Last year, 22-6, 1.77 ERA.
This year started out last night with 7 scoreless innings.
Glad to see guys where hard work pays off.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BROCK HOLT!
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Better get some starting pitching.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:Better get some starting pitching.
True dat.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PS...Is there a bigger bunch of choking dogs than the Boston Bruins?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bill Russell....still looks like he could cover more ground than Sandoval....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They moved the Bobby Orr statue that was in front of the TD Garden for renovations. So literally Bobby Orr's statue covers more ground then Sandoval.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If he was a Sumo wrestler, they'd make him lose weight. Maybe they think another California team will bail them out of this signing.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Very good :lol: :lol: :lol:

And...Don't look now, but...Hanley actually looks decent.
Not only has he been hitting but, better than adequate at 1B, too...
0 x