Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote:So,let's take what have you done for me lately
Pomeranz goes 5.1 innings last night
5Ks
1 walk
1 run
6 hits
Shuts down the Yankees in a big, big game with playoffs on the line
Farrell does his usual over managing and pulls him after 93 pitches and the bull pen Implodes

It's not Pommers fault Farrell is an idiot

Fact,is Espinosa has been far from a 15th ranked player since leavong and that is at single A.

I stand by the trade and nothing has changed my mind. I would do it again.

Maybe Espinosa will prove to be a Pedro Martinez, hope he does, but nothing indicates that to be the case since the trade.
What people keep trying to tell you, and I think you're ignoring, whether consciously or unconsciously - Espinosa has a value, let's call it X. It's high because he's volatile right now; there is a lot of variability in his outcomes. He could wash out, or he could be the next Pedro, and there are about a million outcomes between those two extremes. The potential return for him was probably greater than Pomeranz, who so far has been slightly better than Buccholz.

I also don't think Farrell was overreacting by pulling him after 93 pitches - his season high for innings is this year, and his season-high pitch count is 111 twice. He probably had another four batters at most. Of course, I don't disagree with you that Farrell seems scattered and overmatched this year, but there is plenty of real stuff to critique with him beyond pulling Pomeranz.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball - 2016

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote:
5Ks
1 walk
1 run
6 hits
Farrell does his usual over managing and pulls him after 93 pitches and the bull pen Implodes

Fact,is Espinosa has been far from a 15th ranked player since leavong and that is at single A.

Maybe Espinosa will prove to be a Pedro Martinez, hope he does, but nothing indicates that to be the case since the trade.
What people keep trying to tell you, and I think you're ignoring, whether consciously or unconsciously - Espinosa has a value, let's call it X. It's high because he's volatile right now; there is a lot of variability in his outcomes. He could wash out, or he could be the next Pedro, and there are about a million outcomes between those two extremes. The potential return for him was probably greater than Pomeranz, who so far has been slightly better than Buccholz.

I also don't think Farrell was overreacting by pulling him after 93 pitches - his season high for innings is this year, and his season-high pitch count is 111 twice. He probably had another four batters at most. Of course, I don't disagree with you that Farrell seems scattered and overmatched this year, but there is plenty of real stuff to critique with him beyond pulling Pomeranz.
SG,
What people have been saying since the trade is that they didn't like it. Sox gave up too much for Pomeranz.
Red Sox had to get a starting pitcher. That was a must because Kelly, Bucholtz and others have not grabbed the 4th spot.
Single A pitcher for a 2016 Left handed starting pitcher All Star.

I understand that the vast majority here would not have made the trade and thing we gave up too much. I simply don't agree, that simple.

You can't get a starting left handed 27 year old all star pitcher without giving up a quality player or players.

Strange that Espinosa has not pitched at all since July 31.

There may be a reason Sox traded Espinosa. I have huge faith in DD, little faith in Farrell or Cherington - glad that guy is gone. Should have taken his multi million dollar dud signings with him.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

still like the trade...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I still like it too, even more than I did 2 weeks ago.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: Strange that Espinosa has not pitched at all since July 31.
He is pitching tonight.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

5 ip, 6 h, 3 r, 4 k's, 0 bb.....not bad....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dang...another suck loss to the yankmes.....
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You guys might need to pump the brakes on even worrying about the playoff rotation at this point...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

lol this joke of a team is finito
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Idk this year 86-87 wins could get it done. Still talking .500 baseball. Not an unreasonable ask given their season of streaks.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote:
5Ks
1 walk
1 run
6 hits

SG,
Farrell just did it again last night pulling his starter who was going strong and had only 93 pitches. Two nights in a row.
Projo write up questions the move. Pitcher was professional with his response saying he is just doing what he is told.
Bull pen imploding night after night but starters rolling along get pulled early
If Farrell is so concerned about their health then the Steven Wright story defies all logic. The genius has him pinch run on Sunday, injures his shoulder diving back into 2nd base, and is now out. We lose a solid starter, having a very good year, in August during the stretch run with to Pinch running in a 9 inning game - not even a prolonged extra inning game.
John Henry was oddly in the post game interview area last night. Not a good sign.
The list on Farrell's mind boggling moves continues.
He is not long in Boston.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ramster, I don't disagree that Farrell isn't a great manager - I said so in my response to you. However, him pulling guys close to 100 pitches isn't one of his screw-ups, like having Wright run the bases. Yeah, he's logically inconsistent; that's part of what makes him a so-so manager.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramster, some of your complaints are valid, but the logic on Pomeranz is lousy.
He was at 93 pitches and had just given up a hit and a 5 pitch walk.
That's not exactly "going strong," especially when you consider he's probably nearing the end of his outing.
The guy he was pulled for, Clay Buchholz, immediately came in and got a double play to get out of the inning.
That move worked, since there is no way to guarantee Pomeranz would have gotten the same result.
And even if Pomeranz got out of the inning, there is probably no chance he is coming out for the 7th unless he also got the quick double play, which is entirely possible but far from a certainty.
The likelihood of the double play is probably the same as him giving up a run in that situation.
Therefore, Barnes is coming out for the 7th, probably regardless.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm sorry, but a pitcher is a pro athlete...he should be able to run the bases. And, he didn't even 'run' them, he got dropped off, on a spot, and hurt himself within 15 feet of the drop spot. Like, getting hurt waiting for the bus. I love S Wright, but wtf? :roll: ...2 steps + 'dive' + face-plant' = out of action...that makes soccer players look rugged...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Idk this year 86-87 wins could get it done. Still talking .500 baseball. Not an unreasonable ask given their season of streaks.
Exactly...nothing is ever that cut and dried with this team...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Idk this year 86-87 wins could get it done. Still talking .500 baseball. Not an unreasonable ask given their season of streaks.
Exactly...nothing is ever that cut and dried with this team...
FanGraphs Playoff Odds
Texas Rangers 92-70 (Rest of Way: 24-22)
Cleveland Indians 91-71 (Rest of Way: 27-23)
Toronto Blue Jays 90-72 (Rest of Way: 25-21)
-----------------------------------
Boston Red Sox 89-73 (Rest of Way: 28-21)
Baltimore Orioles 88-74 (Rest of Way: 24-24)
-----------------------------------
Detroit Tigers 86-76 (Rest of Way: 25-23)
Seattle Mariners 86-76 (Rest of Way: 26-23)
Houston Astros 84-78 (Rest of Way: 24-23)
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'm sorry, but a pitcher is a pro athlete...he should be able to run the bases. And, he didn't even 'run' them, he got dropped off, on a spot, and hurt himself within 15 feet of the drop spot. Like, getting hurt waiting for the bus. I love S Wright, but wtf? :roll: ...2 steps + 'dive' + face-plant' = out of action...that makes soccer players look rugged...
He's an athlete, but when's the last time he was asked to slide? I don't know, maybe they practice baserunning; some NL teams do. But he got injured on exactly the sort of baserunning "play" that would trip up a novice baserunner.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Fangraphs Updated Through Last Night (8/12)

Texas Rangers 93-69
Cleveland Indians 92-70
Toronto Blue Jays 90-72
-----------------------------
Boston Red Sox 89-73
Baltimore Orioles 88-74
-----------------------------
Detroit Tigers 86-76
Seattle Mariners 85-77
Houston Astros 85-77
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

If you're going to pinch run with a pitcher, do you really choose your best starter, and a 31 year old slow guy at that? That is hard to defend no matter what.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Doesn't some blame go on the player though?
Why did he have such a stupidly long lead?
Did he think the pitcher was just going to ignore him out there because he is a 31 year old unathletic big guy?
His job was to basically hold the base and run on contact, that's it.

Not a defense of Farrell, but there could be several factors at play that no one knew.
The only other options for SP's were Rodriguez, Porcello and Pomeranz.
Is it possible Wright was in cleats because he had done a bullpen earlier that day?
Rodriguez almost certainly wasn't dressed having pitched the day before.
Were Porcello and Pomeranz dressed?
Were they even in the ballpark? Perhaps one or both had traveled back to Boston early.
Porcello pitched Tuesday and Pomeranz pitched Wednesday.
I don't believe either would have been throwing on Sunday or had a reason to fully dress.
Perhaps Farrell looked down the bench and only saw Wright who looked like he was ready?
Maybe the other pitchers were taking tinkles in the bathroom because who would really expect to be put in that situation?

It's one of those decisions that's tough to second guess without knowing all the factors.
If you believe it was stupid to put a pitcher in that spot in the first place, easier second guess.
After that, slightly tougher to dissect, many potential variables at play.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I have to admit I've been out of touch for a few days, so i do not even know who he ran for, or why. IMO, one run in early August probably won't cost you the season. Losing your best starter will. I personally would never pinch run a front line starter, ever. Too many bad things can happen.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

UCH21377 wrote:I have to admit I've been out of touch for a few days, so i do not even know who he ran for, or why. IMO, one run in early August probably won't cost you the season. Losing your best starter will. I personally would never pinch run a front line starter, ever. Too many bad things can happen.
He ran for Papi.
Red Sox were down 6-4 in the 6th, 2 outs, 1 on (Benitendi on first).
Price was up, but he was replaced by Bryce Brentz (a righty), and the Dodgers countered by replacing Avilan (a lefty) with Joe Blanton (a righty), so Farrell countered that by replacing Brentz with Ortiz.
Ortiz walked to put 2 on, 2 outs.
Betts singled in Benitendi to make it 6-5, 2 outs, making Ortiz the lead runner on second, Betts on first.
That was when Farrell pulled Ortiz. I think he chose the cautious approach, obviously Ortiz has had foot issues all season but he had also played 5 and a half innings in the field on Saturday so I'm sure he was feeling it on Sunday.
Wright came in as the lead runner and Bradley struck out looking.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The view from the Boston Herald......
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_ ... ng_stories
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Doesn't some blame go on the player though?
Why did he have such a stupidly long lead?
Did he think the pitcher was just going to ignore him out there because he is a 31 year old unathletic big guy?
His job was to basically hold the base and run on contact, that's it.
I can't crush the manager here on this one.

Other stuff yep but not this one.....guy musta felt the spirit of Maury Wills.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What an insane 8th inning
Barnes walks 3 straight to load the bases. I swear the only person in the entire Park who did not think Barnes would walk the 3rd in a row was Farrell. Up 6-3 and Farrell leaves Barnes in for what was basically an automatic 3rd straight walk - nothing even close
But then for Zig to come in and strike out 3 straight was beyond belief.
Like the worst pitching performance and the best pitching performance of the year all in the same inning :-) Eck was beside himself
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great win this afternoon over the top AL Team Cleveland at Cleveland for only one game series.
Pomeranz with a huge, clutch performance without hot bats of Ramirez and Leon in the line up.

Now comes a BIG 2 games against Baltimore on the road.
Baseball in August with Boston, Baltimore and Toronto neck and neck and neck. Doesn't get much better that this.
And Ortiz with a huge HR today!!!!!! Wow!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yep, good start on another long roady after a B- home stand.
4 straight W's and looking for that 7-4 road trip....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can't believe I was routing for the Yankees tonight :roll: :roll: :roll:
They beat 1st place Toronto 1-0!!!!
What a race this is in the AL East!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Mookie....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes, Mookie again was phenomenal
Another big game tonight against Baltimore
Tillman was scratched due to shoulder issues and Bundy will now pitch for Baltimore tonight
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Supposed to announce team within 24 hours

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1731 ... m-24-hours
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like the Papelbon move if it happens. Another proven arm in the bullpen. He doesn't quite have the gas that he had when he last wore a Boston jersey but its good enough. Fans love him, he loves us. Cmon Johnny!
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree, I think that would be great. Sox need someone that will keep hitters loose and on their toes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another big win for Boston in a rain shortened game. Interesting that Red Sox asked Detroit 2 days ago if they would move tomorrow's game later than the 1:10 start and Detroit said no.

Now with the rain delay Boston has to hustle out of Baltimore and into Detroit.

I am sure Red Sox players, coaches and organization will not be too happy tomorrow.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Somebody told me the reason they couldn't move today's game is because the Lions have a home game tonight and the two teams share parking lots. Still poor planning.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

If I were Detroit I wouldn't change the start time regardless of the Lions game. It's a team you are competing for a playoff spot.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The league rule is they can schedule a game the afternoon after a previous night game if the flight time is 90 minutes or less.

The flight time from Baltimore to Detroit is 80 minutes.

The Red Sox Administration has been concerned about this game since the schedule was originally announced.

The 90 minutes might make sense but what about considerations for rain delayed games such as last night? What about games that might go extra innings?

Pretty tight scheduling.

Detroit likes Thursday afternoon games on their schedules and they go after these 1pm Thursday games - and Red Sox are paying the price.

I hope we get our 7th win in a row and blow them out.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I get the Red Sox fighting to change it but in the end, I love the move by the Tigers.
Rules are rules and honestly it's not their problem.
They are in a playoff race with the Sox and shouldn't be doing any extra favors to help them.
What's next? Sox want to set their lineup and the rotation?
I'd hope in the same situation, the Sox would do the same thing to an opponent.
At this point, they just have to stay focused on playing winning baseball and not the scheduling.
The beginning of the end of the 2011 Sox/Francona was the constant whining about how the schedule was set up in August.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sandy Leon is amazing. Game tying Home Run today.

52 hits in 135 times at bat for a .385 average
People keep expecting him to come back to earth with his hitting and it just does not happen
Now has 7 Home Runs and his career total before this year was 7
What a batting line up with Leon and Benintendi at the bottom - no rest for opposing pitchers
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I get the Red Sox fighting to change it but in the end, I love the move by the Tigers.
Rules are rules and honestly it's not their problem.
They are in a playoff race with the Sox and shouldn't be doing any extra favors to help them.
What's next? Sox want to set their lineup and the rotation?
I'd hope in the same situation, the Sox would do the same thing to an opponent.
At this point, they just have to stay focused on playing winning baseball and not the scheduling.
The beginning of the end of the 2011 Sox/Francona was the constant whining about how the schedule was set up in August.
Red Sox had to play a single make up game at Cleveland from weather back in April, then go to Baltimore for 2 games, then be in Detroit for a 1pm game today after rain delay last night.
Detroit said no, fine. Red Sox asked, fine.
Detroit pissed off that Dombroski is turning around the Red Sox fast after firing him, fine.
Love the fact that Detroit said no to moving the game to later afternoon?
Good Locker Room stuff.
I hope the Red Sox blow Detroit and their playoff hopes away by extending their own League Leading winning streak of 6 games to 10 by Sunday night.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Leon didn't even hit at the minor league level if you check his stats. What he is doing this year is nothing short of improbable.

Good story for a guy that was buried 4th on the Sox catching depth chart to start the year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Leon is truly an amazing story AND most amazing is that his feat just never ends. He needs to be in the line up every day.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

STC wrote:Leon didn't even hit at the minor league level if you check his stats. What he is doing this year is nothing short of improbable.

Good story for a guy that was buried 4th on the Sox catching depth chart to start the year.
I think that's how you know it's a wave ... I love people getting all juiced up about 150 AB's, in a normal baseball season that's 1/4 of the season. He was a career .191 hitter in 204 MLB at bats before this season. He's a career .238 hitter in 2,036 minor league at bats. In 115 at bats in Pawtucket this year, he was hitting .243. Last season he hit .184 in 114 at bats in Boston, .232 in 112 foreign league at bats, and .263 in 99 Pawtucket at bats. There is not one metric that says he can continue this trend. His splits are out of this world, the only bad ones on his report card might be 2 outs, RISP (hitting .294) and clutch and late at bats (hitting .261) and you'd take that and run.

Now I guess that's part of the fun, to see and root for him to continue this run through an improbable postseason run to the World Series. But I think we would all be stupid to be banking on it. For as good as it's been, it wouldn't be unrealistic for him to go on some sort of huge drought, go 4/50 with 15 K's, and be a huge hole in tight games. In the meantime, have to enjoy it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
STC wrote:Leon didn't even hit at the minor league level if you check his stats. What he is doing this year is nothing short of improbable.

I think that's how you know it's a wave ... I love people getting all juiced up about 150 AB's, in a normal baseball season that's 1/4 of the season. He was a career .191 hitter in 204 MLB at bats before this season. He's a career .238 hitter in 2,036 minor league at bats. In 115 at bats in Pawtucket this year, he was hitting .243. Last season he hit .184 in 114 at bats in Boston, .232 in 112 foreign league at bats, and .263 in 99 Pawtucket at bats. There is not one metric that says he can continue this trend. His splits are out of this world, the only bad ones on his report card might be 2 outs, RISP (hitting .294) and clutch and late at bats (hitting .261) and you'd take that and run.

Now I guess that's part of the fun, to see and root for him to continue this run through an improbable postseason run to the World Series. But I think we would all be stupid to be banking on it. For as good as it's been, it wouldn't be unrealistic for him to go on some sort of huge drought, go 4/50 with 15 K's, and be a huge hole in tight games. In the meantime, have to enjoy it.
Sure I'm juiced up if that is what you want to call it. Sox just had Leon be the designated hitter. How often in history has a catcher ever been slotted in the DH role? For any team, ever? It's now mid August with 6 weeks to go and Leon has shown no signs of cooling off.....no reason this can't continue.
In the what have you done for me lately category, Leon has not disappointed all season long.

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: Sure I'm juiced up if that is what you want to call it. Sox just had Leon be the designated hitter. How often in history has a catcher ever been slotted in the DH role? For any team, ever? It's now mid August with 6 weeks to go and Leon has shown no signs of cooling off.....no reason this can't continue.
In the what have you done for me lately category, Leon has not disappointed all season long.
I think they are simply riding the hot bat, they really don't have any other options. Holt, Hill, Merrero. One guys an AAA+ guy, the other is hitting .255 this year, and the 3rd is a 34 year old journeyman utility player hitting .270. Why wouldn't you let Leon hit? Catchers have DH'd before, but I think it's more rare because they get days off by design if they are any good, where the Sox have been trying to ease the workload. Victor Martinez DH'd a ton off the top of my head.

But I'm sure when it goes, it will go quick. Just look at Boegarts splits ... 7 day - 4/21, 14 day - 8/40, 28 day - 26/101. If you go May-August ... May - .395, June - .324, July - .288, August - .180. And he's a legtimate Big League hitter. For guys who aren't known hitters, they can literally go off the cliff at any point. But in the meantime, sure, ride the wave, but just know it's likely going to crash before the season ends, and hopefully there's a contigency plan just in case.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The hitting must continue to offset the horrendous relief pitching and Farrell's horrendous use of the relief pitching. Yesterday was just another example - a game we should have won.
If the hitting slows down heaven help the playoff hopes.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Another W..yee hah. 7 of their last 8 ain't bad.
Off to Greenville next week, not sure they have anyone left down there tho?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and 208, Baltimore lost to Houston, Cleveland hit two HRs in the bottom of the 9th inning to win 3-2 over Toronto. And believe it or not, the 2nd HR was a walk off HR but it was Inside-the-Park!!!!
Porcello was great tonight. Bottom 3 of the batting order with Leon, Holt and Benitendi is the strongest in baseball. Looked great tonight.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Fangraphs Playoff Odds
Cleveland 94-68
Texas 93-69
Boston 92-70
---------------------
Toronto 91-71
Baltimore 87-75