Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball - 2016

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This Adam Jones thing is blown out of proportion. Honestly. No one should ever use that N word no matter your color or background, but one dumbass yelling it shouldn't create a reputation for a city of over half a million people and beyond. Please. It's an immature conclusion. Followed by the fact that Fenway gave Jones a standing ovation last night.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhodymob05 wrote:This Adam Jones thing is blown out of proportion. Honestly. No one should ever use that N word no matter your color or background, but one dumbass yelling it shouldn't create a reputation for a city of over half a million people and beyond. Please. It's an immature conclusion. Followed by the fact that Fenway gave Jones a standing ovation last night.
The reputation was already created, this one dumbass just added to it.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

You're going to find dumbass fans everywhere ... Heck, have you seen the stories about fans of the Raiders and 49ers fans? I believe it was Real Sports with Gumbel a few years ago who did a profile on this ... Talking about how a dad and his two teenage daughters who were Green Bay fans went to a playoff game in SF, and were taunted and talked inappropriately to the entire time ... Or you have fan bases who on more than one occasion have shot opposing fans ... Again, I'm not defending anyone saying anything like this, just pointing out that there are ignorant fans in Boston who say ignorant things just like there are ignorant fans in SF who would verbally assault teenage girls. Unfair to paint the brush that all fans in Boston are racist, just like it's unfair to say all fans in SF verbally assault young girls.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Good point Rsuperfly! didn't a giants fan kill a dodgers fan at dodger stadium about 6-7years back? Yet I never saw ESPN whining that something needs to be done about the murderous California fanbase...

ESPN actually did a "Theres not enough Black people at Fenway park" article.

https://theundefeated.com/features/blac ... nway-park/

ESPN is from Connecticut so i assume these people are aware New England is a very white region and the black population tends to be concentrated in various cities or districts like south providence.. But people who write stories like this always prefer feels to facts.

I never really bothered reading any of this undefeated stuff before but it sadly seems to mostly be this sjw oppression stuff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Red Sox now with a 6 game winning streak!!
Every starter had gone at least 6 innings in each of these games.
12-3 win Rodriguez - 8 innings and 8 K's
11-6 win Porcello - 6.2 innings and 4 K's
9-4 win Sale - 7.1 innings and 6 K's
6-2 win Pomeranz - 6 innings and 11 K's
3-0 win Rodriguez - 6 innings and 4 K's
6-0 win Johnson - 9 innings and 8 K's

In the last 21 innings Red Sox pitching has not allowed a single run!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here we go boys and girls.................

Red Sox take last 2 games from the Orioles and the Yankees lose today to Toronto so Boston is now 2 games behind the Yankees with a big 3 game series at NY this week!

Tue, Jun 6 @ NY Yankees
7:05 PM MLB Network Pomeranz (5-3) Tanaka (5-5)

Wed, Jun 7 @NY Yankees
7:05 PM Porcello (3-7) Sabathia (6-2)

Thu, Jun 8 @ NY Yankees
7:00 PM Price (1-0) Pineda (6-3)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Long season......I think both Boston and NY make the playoffs, but who wins the division is a toss up at this point.

I think about 94 wins will won the division.

And it doesn't matter....the Astros are winning the whole thing unless they have a bunch of injuries. That's a scary team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Red Sox, having the better starting pitching, will probably win the division, and the Yanks will be a wild card.

But watch out next season.....right now the Yankees are in a home run or strike out mode....ask the Orioles, that doesn't work in the long run.

Yankees really don't have a number one starter...Tanaka is wildly inconsistent....and so is Pineda, although Severino is looking great and is probably their best right now.

However, they have some excellent minor league talent on the way...their farm system is among the best....a few years ago it was the Sox who had the talented farm system, but not so much anymore.

The Sox are built to win now, and the Yanks are a year or maybe 2 away from another WS......

It remains to be seen if the Astros are beatable though.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Wanted to give a shout out to my friend since childhood and Rhode Island native Jason Pare. After working for Cleveland followed by Toronto he got hired by Miami in a high profile role of Director of Analytics at age 30. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... story.html

I Remember talking over AIM each other during our college days and teasing him about becoming GM of the Red Sox. Amazingly it actually seems like it could be a real possibility in the future.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A shame with the team coming along so nicely.

https://sports.yahoo.com/light-shed-dav ... 18712.html
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:A shame with the team coming along so nicely.

He seems to be having some issues ...desperately wants to be loved, and doesn't seem to handle questioning (not even criticism) very well. His use of Twitter is strange and not helping him either. I don't think it's a shame, nor is it going to impact the team. All just my opinion and I don't really care...as long as he performs... but....Key line to me is: "the list of guys who have taken the sort of media relations approach he’s taken of late and done well by it is short. The list of guys who have managed to pull it off in Boston is non-existent."

Hopefully, he can be the first...it'll be interesting to see if he exercises his player option...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:A shame with the team coming along so nicely.

He seems to be having some issues ...desperately wants to be loved, and doesn't seem to handle questioning (not even criticism) very well. His use of Twitter is strange and not helping him either. I don't think it's a shame, nor is it going to impact the team. All just my opinion and I don't really care...as long as he performs... but....Key line to me is: "the list of guys who have taken the sort of media relations approach he’s taken of late and done well by it is short. The list of guys who have managed to pull it off in Boston is non-existent."

Hopefully, he can be the first...it'll be interesting to see if he exercises his player option...
I meant it as a shame for him personally, but also because the Sox shelled out a ton of money for him. Seems his issues may have been with him for some time. His performance in post season has not been good as was brought up last year.

He should be performing at a Sale level, good thing the Red Sox grabbed him. I have not cared much for Price since the beginning, not exactly sure why, but things just didn't feel right. Possibly the negativity coming his way now will toughen him up, make him mad (der) and more focused. He has been pretty shape lately for a change. That would be awesome if he could become a 15 - 18 game winner.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think the best option would be for him to pitch well enough that you can trade him in a relatively fair deal.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Price was good the other night and if he can continue to pitch well i don't really care about how he deals with the media.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Trade that was discussed a lot here last season. One year later assessment in this article, still could be considered too soon of course.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2017/7/5 ... dombrowski
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster looks like you may have been right in this one
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I never understood the hate for that Pomeranz deal personally. While its impossible to say who "won" that deal for another few years. I do think trading a 18yr old sub 6ft pitcher in low a ball for a good, cheap mlb starter under contract for 2 1/2th years is often going to be a pretty good deal for the team acquiring the major leaguer. Imagine how screwed this team would be without Sale and Pomeranz?

A more pressing issue is what do we do at 3b? Personally i would just bring up Devers as i can't recall any Sox prospect in the past 20 years putting up such a good season at the pate for a power hitter.

Martin Prado is someone we supposedly have interest in. My feeling is we cold get him pretty cheap if Henry is willing to take on salary and go above the Luxury tax. But i don't see that happening and his salary for this year and the next two is like 13m a year or so..
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This home run derby is the best in years. Amazing power. MLB still with the best all-star week in sports.
1 x
GO RAMS
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2004 ... assignment

Sox are dumping Sandoval. I've got to give management credit on this one, I didn't think that they'd be willing to potentially release him and eat the remaining money on his contract.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2004 ... assignment

Sox are dumping Sandoval. I've got to give management credit on this one, I didn't think that they'd be willing to potentially release him and eat the remaining money on his contract.
GREAT move.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Worst contract in Sox history? Carl Crawford and Rusney also come to mind.

Cherington did a great job identifying and holding onto minor league talent but good god was he horrific with the major league stuff.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

At least Crawford there was a good chance he'd be productive, it just didn't work. And Castillo they've been able to stash in the minors, so it hasn't hurt the luxury tax. Sandoval was an OK player already declining who was always likely to fall off the cliff young signed to an almost upper echelon player deal. It never made sense from day one
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Speaking of Cheringtons mistakes. Jed Lowrie would be a really good addition for the team. Not only would he be a really nice upgrade at 3b but he is cheap, can play SS, 2b, or 3b, and comes with a team option for 6m next year. He could be a great super IF sub next year as well as insurance incase Devers struggles.

I would put it to you the Lowrie for Melancon trade was one of the worse in recent history. It was the start of a series of disastrous transactions that likely cost Cherrington his job.

First we essentially gave up Lowrie for nothing and watched him be one of the best middle infielders in the game over the next 4 years.

Second, Melancon had a crappy year and was immediately traded for nothing. He would immediately reestablish himself as one of the better RP in baseball once traded. Why Cherington felt the needed to trade a cheap, cost controlled reliever he felt highly enough to trade real assests for a year before for nothing is beyond me

Lastly, if we kept Lowrie there is basically no way the team signs Panda since we would have a good homegrown 3b making a fraction of the Panda cost.

Overall, id say that Lowrie for Melancon and subsequent deals likely cost the Red Sox over 250 in value between the lost production of Lowrie and Melancon and the 100m sunk cost of Panda. Not to mention we would not have lost a 2nd round pick singing Panda, Could have gained a first rounder for letting Lowrie walk, or could have at least got another 1st rounder as compensation had we kept Melancon. I doubt we bother with the Kimbrel trade either if Melancon stays..
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

EGram wrote:Speaking of Cheringtons mistakes. Jed Lowrie would be a really good addition for the team. Not only would he be a really nice upgrade at 3b but he is cheap, can play SS, 2b, or 3b, and comes with a team option for 6m next year. He could be a great super IF sub next year as well as insurance incase Devers struggles.

I would put it to you the Lowrie for Melancon trade was one of the worse in recent history. It was the start of a series of disastrous transactions that likely cost Cherrington his job.

First we essentially gave up Lowrie for nothing and watched him be one of the best middle infielders in the game over the next 4 years.

Second, Melancon had a crappy year and was immediately traded for nothing. He would immediately reestablish himself as one of the better RP in baseball once traded. Why Cherington felt the needed to trade a cheap, cost controlled reliever he felt highly enough to trade real assests for a year before for nothing is beyond me

Lastly, if we kept Lowrie there is basically no way the team signs Panda since we would have a good homegrown 3b making a fraction of the Panda cost.

Overall, id say that Lowrie for Melancon and subsequent deals likely cost the Red Sox over 250 in value between the lost production of Lowrie and Melancon and the 100m sunk cost of Panda. Not to mention we would not have lost a 2nd round pick singing Panda, Could have gained a first rounder for letting Lowrie walk, or could have at least got another 1st rounder as compensation had we kept Melancon. I doubt we bother with the Kimbrel trade either if Melancon stays..
Cherington certainly made his fair share of mistakes, but I don't necessarily think this is one of the worst trades in recent history or even a series of bad trades.

Melancon had shown that he struggled in situations where the pressure/intensity is high (Boston) and had never showed any real ability to turn it around. Had they kept him, I think it is certainly a possibility that he would have continued to struggle until he had no trade value.

In trading him, they got a closer coming off of a couple of dominant seasons in Joel Hanrahan (who got hurt during his first season here - which I don't think is fair to hold against management) and Brock Holt, who has turned into a quality Major League utility player (although not starter-caliber in my opinion).

As far as trading Lowrie, while I was against it at the time, it probably was the right move. Lowrie has continued to be what he was in Boston, a talented, but injury plagued player, who shows flashes but has never been able to be a consistent Major League player. Going into this season, he has been marginally better in terms of value than Brock Holt, who was ultimately acquired through the series of moves. The big difference in their value over the last 5 seasons is that Lowrie has been healthy this year, whereas Holt has been hurt.

Additionally, since the initial trade, Lowrie has been paid approximately $31 million (or about $4.5 million cost to the team per win he added), while Holt has been paid approximately $4 million (or about $800k cost to the team per win he added).

Also, Lowrie became a free agent after the 2014 season (the same time as Sandoval) and the Sox would have never received a first round pick for Lowrie (they would not have risked paying an average, injury-prone player $15+ million in order to recoup a draft pick - especially since Sandoval was available). If the Sox wanted Sandoval as much as it seems, Jed Lowrie would not have prevented them from signing Sandoval. I tend to believe (right or wrong) that signing Sandoval was more of an ownership call (Tow Werner in particular) and not necessarily a Cherington call (though he rightfully gets the blame - since he was the GM).

All that being said, I think Lowrie would be a decent fit in Boston at this point as a trade target, though I'm warming to the idea of Todd Frazier (as long as they don't do something stupid like sign him to a new contract).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...is 3rd base locked down now...between Nunez and Devers?

So glad to see the Pommer working out this well...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:So...is 3rd base locked down now...between Nunez and Devers?

So glad to see the Pommer working out this well...
Probably Devers. Farrell has said Nunez will always be in the line up the rest of the way. So now Nunez is in for Pedroia due to injury. Nunez is absolutely on fire since coming to the Sox. Devers has hit well too. Most likely if Pedroia is back in then Nunez will be at 3rd. Nice situation to be in with depth at the 3B Position - a position that has been a problem for several years now.
Pommer pitched well in some games earlier this year that the bull pen could not hold on for the win otherwise he would have more than 11 wins.
Sox now with 7 straight wins in August to top the Major Leagues at this time
Pomeranz set to go @ NYY on Saturday at 4pm and Sale set to go @NYY on Sunday Night Baseball at 8PM ESPN!!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

8 in a row. Lets go!
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

serious roll.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:serious roll.....
Great bottom of the 9th. Loved going for the walk off win on Mookie's hit off the wall with 2 outs. Fact that the count was 3-2 with 1st and 2nd and 2 outs allowed runners to go on the pitch and thereby score from 1st base to win!!!

Yankees next again Friday, Saturday and Sunday!!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

one down....man...I love how the sox seem to own yankme closers....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

2 of 3 from the yanx again...beautiful...and what should be another great series starting tonight.
20 games in 20 days...great stretch of tv.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great to see Porcello win his 4th straight game to go to 8-14 from his previous 4-14. With Porcello coming on he can join Sale (14-5) and Pomeranz (12-4) in leading the Sox in September. 4 games in Cleveland will be Rodriguez, Fister, Pomeranz and Sale.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote:Great to see Porcello win his 4th straight game to go to 8-14 from his previous 4-14. With Porcello coming on he can join Sale (14-5) and Pomeranz (12-4) in leading the Sox in September. 4 games in Cleveland will be Rodriguez, Fister, Pomeranz and Sale.
I'd be happy with 2-2 against the Indians. That's still a good club. I figure Fister to be a loss and either Erod or Pomeranz (hoping his back is okay) may lose a close one.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not been high on Fister to date but wow. I thought "here we go again" when he gave up a HR to the lead off Cleveland batter, but, after the HR, he proceeded to basically pitch a "no-hit" game and Shut-out and going the full 9 innings, which in itself, is a rarity in today's MLB game.

Great to see Fister coming around when the return of Price looks more doubtful by the week.

Good match up tonight with Pomeranz (12-4) versus Kluber (12-3)
Thursday night matches up Sale (14-5) versus Bauer (12-8) to close out the 4 game series with Cleveland
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Great outing last night...a much needed night off for the bullpen. Am a huge Pommer fan, but a little nervous about his start tonight healthwise...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rich Hill is no hitting the Pirates through nine innings tonight. Unfortunately for him, the game is tied at 0, so it probably won't count as an official no hitter. He's a great story, so I root for him to succeed.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Rich Hill is no hitting the Pirates through nine innings tonight. Unfortunately for him, the game is tied at 0, so it probably won't count as an official no hitter. He's a great story, so I root for him to succeed.
Same here...big fan...unfortunately, he got the exact opposite result as Fister...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Loving how the Pommer is pitching ...is he the closest thing to Bruce Hurst since...Bruce Hurst?

Sad to see this: https://www.milb.com/milb/news/san-dieg ... -185364810

...but even if he was decent, still love the trade...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This staff is coming around at the right time.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

THUD!.... rough one last night...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Awhile ago, I got into a discussion of the Sox trading for
Giancarlo Stanton this winter.
I got a lot of flack, with "He's always injured","he's not
a very good player","He makes too much money, and the Sox
would have to go over the luxury tax".
Well, his biggest injury was taking a fastball in the face, so
it's not like a normal injury.
He has a good arm, and decent speed for such a big guy.
As for the luxury tax, who cares?
Even with a first place team, NESN is down 20% in the ratings.
Stanton would give the Sox a player who would get eyes on
their product, and create a real buzz every time he stepped to the plate..
He's 27 years old, and in his prime.
This season, he's on pace for 63 homers and 134 RBI, and he's hitting .290.
The Sox can't get Mike Trout or Bryce Harper, but they could
get Stanton for the right price.
The idea of him with a better lineup around him (poor Trout with his awful lineup)
playing in Fenway Park, would be awesome.
It would cost a Benitendi, and more, but to get the primier
home run hitter in MLB,in his prime, is worth exploring.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree, Rod. One of the big things the Sox are missing right now is the 'have to see' at-bat. The guy, who, if he was at the plate when you were flipping through channels, you stopped to see his AB, or if you were watching, you didn't leave. Seems they've almost always had someone like that...Ortiz, before that Ortiz, Manny, Jose Canseco, Jack Clark, Jim Rice....they have no one like that right now...hopefully they fix that soon. I still watch every game, and I know they're scoring runs, but would really like to see someone on the roster who was a threat to leave the building every time up... Stanton would bring that and more.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Stanton, I just kind of assume that the trades talks are all speculative, like the lazy ones last year that ESPN hyped incessantly for Trout. The Marlins have new owners, and they're no longer run by that ass clown Loria. I doubt Stanton is available unless the situation has deteriorated so much that he refuses to play, or something to that effect.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ESPN has mercilessly hyped Aaron Judge, as the second coming of Babe Ruth.
It was as if Trout no longer existed. A month and a half on the DL, and he was forgotten.
Judge has lost 50 points on his batting average, and is setting strikeout records, as
he's fallen back to reality.
Miami, even with Stanton, has been a disaster. Loria did spend money at times,
to no avail.
Florida is not a baseball hub, as evidenced by poor attendance in a new ballpark
in Miami, and the dump at Tampa.
It remains to be seen if new ownership feels they can actually build a winner
around Stanton, or do what the White Sox have done, by trading proven players
for younger players and prospects, and rebuilding from ground zero
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Right now...everyone on this team looks like they need a week off...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Beginning of another YUGE collapse?
Even Sale got lit up.
Fister, the stopper?
Anyway, Aaron Judge, (did you know he's big?)
hitting .182 since the All Star break, with 16 RBI.
Something about the HR Derby, just messes up player's
swings.
If Mike Trout didn't get hurt, he'd have had his best season
yet, crappy lineup around him, and all.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Supposedly the Rays television ratings have been good and Tropicana Field is located in a terrible area traffic wise. The thought is a new ballpark in a better area would be a huge boost for them
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Baseball is just full of excuses.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Supposedly the Rays television ratings have been good and Tropicana Field is located in a terrible area traffic wise. The thought is a new ballpark in a better area would be a huge boost for them
I don't think it's the traffic that's a problem there (it's much worse in Boston). The area is just not a 'destination' type place...couple bars and restaurants around, but really not much. Problem is, the facility is a dump...and the people all live in Tampa and don't want to cross the bridge...
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Eck is clearly the best color guy the Red Sox have, but I will say this about Jonny Gomes...
He's probably the only guy that can make you say, "you know...Salty really isn't that bad..."
0 x