Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball - 2016

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The only arguable hole in their lineup is catcher ... For some reason they have a thing with Vazquez, and they didn't really have a choice but to ride it out with the once hot Sandy Leon, but his fall was predictable.
Average by month (June/July/August/September-October/playoffs)
.467/.355/.306/.213/.100
I can't believe the JBJ hate, I thought his hitting was overrated especially early in the season (after the trade deadline I had someone tell me they would ultimately do it but would have a tough time trading JBJ for Chris Sale straight up), but if your 8 hitter can hit .265 with 20+ HR's and 65+ RBI's and play great defense, you are better off than about 29 other teams in MLB.
You aren't going to go perfect up and down the lineup, yes he was bad in the playoffs but ultimately you expect the top of your lineup to produce, you expect your MVP candidates in Betts and Ortiz to give you better than 3/19 (.157) with 1 RBI.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great pitching last night by Lester in a must win for the cubbies.
A shame the Red Sox didn't pay up for him.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redso ... story.html
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:You aren't going to go perfect up and down the lineup, yes he was bad in the playoffs but ultimately you expect the top of your lineup to produce, you expect your MVP candidates in Betts and Ortiz to give you better than 3/19 (.157) with 1 RBI.
I think the Red Sox have been vindicated slightly by how dominant the Cleveland staff has continued to be throughout the playoffs. I certainly didn't regard them as capable of this when they beat the Sox, I just chalked it up to the Sox not showing up.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I definitely think that is somewhat true ... The sweep is easier to take when that team is on the verge of winning the WS. That said, I think it can also be true that the Sox big bats significantly underachieved compared to regular season stats and postseason expectations.

I think the thing that might bug me more than anything, is that I didn't think the Indians were significantly better in that series, I thought they just got better situational hitting and pitching. How many times did the Sox have runners in scoring position or were in position to cash in on a huge inning and they left them stranded?

If the Sox had gotten more capable starting pitching along with a big hit or two, maybe they are the one's on the verge of another WS.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Sox had problems with clutch hitting in close games all season, except for the 11 game winning streak in September.

They cooled off at the end and blew home field advantage, then it bit them again against the Indians....

Wait till next year......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cubs no World Series Championship since 1908, Indians since 1948
Game 7 tonight in Chicago at 8am
Does Jon Lester pitch for the Cubbies tonight? He says he is ready for a relief appearance
Tons of Drama in this game tonight
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Pretty amazing it's gone to a Game 7 for these two teams. One fanbase is going to be HURTING tonight.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Lester is a gamer. Why can't we get players like that.

Watching this World Series is like watching a Red Sox alumni game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The game is in Cleveland tonight, not Chicago
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Lester will be the middle relief option for the Cubs tonight if needed. The pitching lines up quite nicely for the Indiand with Kluber and that bullpen rested up. Cubs are hot. Tough call, but I think the pitching for the Indians gets it done tonight.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

I'm going with the Cubs tonight, offense is hot and they've got all the momentum right now. Who would've thought that not have home-field advantage would be a blessing for the Cubs? That offense has such a different dynamic with Schwarber in the line-up, very fortunate for the Cubs that they'll be able to get him 4 AB's in this game.
Last edited by Shaolin Swat 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I can see the Cubs losing on a controversial or freak play. That's how it goes for teams like that. Remember?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramfan85 wrote:I can see the Cubs losing on a controversial or freak play. That's how it goes for teams like that. Remember?
"I have no idea what you are talking about"... said my avatar.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great inning by Lester. Why can't we get pitchers like that?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is crazy. This could go all night!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazing, and what are the odds to go to a 7th game, then to extra innings AND a rain delay?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The 30 for 30 that they do one day on this Game 7 is going to be epic.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Sox acquire Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1821 ... -prospects - Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Seems like a steep price to pay for a MR/closer, in terms of the prospects. Then again, I want absolutely no part of those crazy contracts for relievers this off-season.

The ESPN story dwells a bit too much on Travis Shaw for my tastes, too. His slash line was 242 / 306 / 421. I don't think that's going to be the hardest thing in the world to replace, whether you give Pablo half a year to see if he can bounce back from injury / being fat, or go with a stop gap until Moncada is ready.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sale to the Red Sox, giving up Moncada/Kopech among others.

I have no dog in this fight, not a Sox fan, but that seems like a lot to give up.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

High price to pay but love the move!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Great great day to be a Sox fan. They saw their pitching in the playoffs be a disaster and had to do something. I think they were down on Moncada from his brief stint with the club and I'm not sold on Kopech, most flamethrowers put up flashy numbers in low-minors.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Love the Sale deal - If you're going to trade an elite prospect like Moncada, then best to do it for the elite starting pitcher with a team-friendly contract. The White Sox have a chance at getting more from the trade long-term, since it's Moncada, Kopech and (probably) two low-level prospects, but Sale is the elite sort of arm that you do this kind of trade for.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOVE LOVE LOVE the move!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote:Love the Sale deal - If you're going to trade an elite prospect like Moncada, then best to do it for the elite starting pitcher with a team-friendly contract. The White Sox have a chance at getting more from the trade long-term, since it's Moncada, Kopech and (probably) two low-level prospects, but Sale is the elite sort of arm that you do this kind of trade for.
Yeah, you make a solid point. While I lean towards it seeming like a lot to give up, if you are going to do it this is the guy you do it for. The more I think about it the more I am coming around on the deal.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

They needed another top end pitcher if they were serious about winning it all. Sale, Price, Porcello now a very solid group. Probably could not have paid all the prospects down the line anyway. Shaw is no big loss IMO.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote:Sox acquire Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1821 ... -prospects - Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Seems like a steep price to pay for a MR/closer, in terms of the prospects. Then again, I want absolutely no part of those crazy contracts for relievers this off-season.

The ESPN story dwells a bit too much on Travis Shaw for my tastes, too. His slash line was 242 / 306 / 421. I don't think that's going to be the hardest thing in the world to replace, whether you give Pablo half a year to see if he can bounce back from injury / being fat, or go with a stop gap until Moncada is ready.
SG,
I liked Travis Shaw in last year's spring training, but as the season wore on it became more apparent that he was not the guy for 3rd base defensively and especially offensively. Then in the playoffs he folded like a cheap suit. I had zero confidence in him and zero desire to see him at 3rd base next season. So I love this trade. I can't stomach (pardon the pun) Pablo S at 3rd base either but believe or not I'll take Pablo over Shaw. Brock Holt to 3rd?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dave Dombroski is the man.
Great trade!
Price showed he is not the #1 starter the Sox need in the playoffs.
Sale #1, Porcello #2 and Price #3 - takes the pressure off price.................
Somewhat surprised he let Moncada go knowing that he just traded Shaw for Thornburg. But as RJ said, Moncada fumbled away his chance at 3rd base when given it. He did not field well and he did not hit well at all. They couldn't leave him. On the other hand, Benitendi absolutely made the most of his opportunity and then some. Red Sox did not find lightening in a bottle twice with Moncada.
I am thrilled that the Sox did not give up Benitendi - I absolutely love that kid - hope he stays in Boston his whole career.
Kopech is fantastic. I hate to see him go as he is my favorite minor league prospect for the Sox. Good move for him as he should get a very good look in Spring Training. He will be in the big leagues very soon. But you have to give up talent for a pitcher like Sale. Sale dis not come cheap - he was not on "Sale" :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wow sawx on fire!!!

Somehow I'm thinkin Dave D not done - 1 more deal to come!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Dave Dombroski is the man.
Great trade!
Price showed he is not the #1 starter the Sox need in the playoffs.
Sale #1, Porcello #2 and Price #3 - takes the pressure off price.................
Somewhat surprised he let Moncada go knowing that he just traded Shaw for Thornburg. But as RJ said, Moncada fumbled away his chance at 3rd base when given it. He did not field well and he did not hit well at all. They couldn't leave him. On the other hand, Benitendi absolutely made the most of his opportunity and then some. Red Sox did not find lightening in a bottle twice with Moncada.
I am thrilled that the Sox did not give up Benitendi - I absolutely love that kid - hope he stays in Boston his whole career.
Kopech is fantastic. I hate to see him go as he is my favorite minor league prospect for the Sox. Good move for him as he should get a very good look in Spring Training. He will be in the big leagues very soon. But you have to give up talent for a pitcher like Sale. Sale dis not come cheap - he was not on "Sale" :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1 on Benintendi
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:Sox acquire Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1821 ... -prospects - Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Seems like a steep price to pay for a MR/closer, in terms of the prospects. Then again, I want absolutely no part of those crazy contracts for relievers this off-season.

SG,
I liked Travis Shaw in last year's spring training, but as the season wore on it became more apparent that he was not the guy for 3rd base defensively and especially offensively. Then in the playoffs he folded like a cheap suit. I had zero confidence in him and zero desire to see him at 3rd base next season. So I love this trade. I can't stomach (pardon the pun) Pablo S at 3rd base either but believe or not I'll take Pablo over Shaw. Brock Holt to 3rd?
Shaw and Sandy Leon had similar issues to me - hot starts, or a hot couple of months, then severe regression to the mean. So yeah, if another team valued Shaw, go ahead and deal him. Pablo might be completely finished, but I think you can muddle through at 3rd with Holt and another utility guy (did they resign Aaron Hill?) for a year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! Dave Dombrowski never lets anyone down when it comes to making the
big moves.
The Sox also signed Mitch Moreland, who played for Texas,
and is coming off a bad season.
Good fielder with good power. Lefty to balance the lineup.
Still nothing makes up for the loss of Papi's bat.
Sale! Holy cow!
Could still trade Bradley and Buccholz for a big corner OF,
and move Benitendi to CF.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If the rotation stays healthy, I will have to admit, the Sox are loaded and I'm sure they'll add another bat...

The Yanks are playing for a wild card already....but they will be much better in a couple of years.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:If the rotation stays healthy, I will have to admit, the Sox are loaded and I'm sure they'll add another bat...

The Yanks are playing for a wild card already....but they will be much better in a couple of years.....
Rambone, I love to hear yankeefan talk like that...but have just seen too much Sox history to get cocky about it.
All I can say is I hope you're right!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Well Ortiz teased a return on instagram, doubtful to happen but you have to wonder... reports came out that he still works out at Fenway all the time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Probably wishes he would play this coming season, knowing that if he does, he'll probably get another ring......and the Red Sox won't need another bat.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Clay traded today for minor league infielder.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:Clay traded today for minor league infielder.
Essentially a salary dump, since it's a 24-year-old 2B in A-ball. I would have liked them to just keep him as depth, and see if maybe he'd agree to convert to the pen, but it's not my money either. Probably more valuable for the Sawx to avoid the luxury tax, vs. having him as an unhappy long man / seventh starter.
Last edited by SGreenwell 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Total salary dump. With the new rules tying the luxury tax to free agent draft compensation - lot of changes based on whether you're over and if x# years in a row" - seems it was more like, "don't be over the cap because of this guy..."
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Whoa!!!
A Farrell decision I can agree with! A couple more like this and could I become a Farrell supporter?

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... or-red-sox
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Whoa!!!
A Farrell decision I can agree with! A couple more like this and could I become a Farrell supporter?

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... or-red-sox
Guy's an awesome hitter...could slot him pretty much anywhere...2 sounds good (more AB's)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know it's only one game...but the Yanks sucked it today...great spring training means nothing....Tanaka horrible, and Sanchez left the world on base in key spots.

They will be good though as long as their starting pitching holds together. Maybe a wild card....next year I expect them to dive back into the FA market and become a serious threat to win it all.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

OK...how ridiculous is the baseball 'review' system? Why do the umps need to wear headphones connected to a gym bag for 5 minutes? If they aren't involved in making the call...why can't they just get a text message? Or...just have the replay area plugged into the scoreboard guy and let him post it...
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a great day for baseball.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:OK...how ridiculous is the baseball 'review' system? Why do the umps need to wear headphones connected to a gym bag for 5 minutes? If they aren't involved in making the call...why can't they just get a text message? Or...just have the replay area plugged into the scoreboard guy and let him post it...
Because...... Baseball
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good point
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Absolutely classless acts by some "fans" at Fenway......I'm sure it happens in a lot of places, but the numbers involved in yesterday's game aren't good.

Racist taunts in Boston? Who would have thunk it? [sarcasm]
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Absolutely classless acts by some "fans" at Fenway......I'm sure it happens in a lot of places, but the numbers involved in yesterday's game aren't good.

Racist taunts in Boston? Who would have thunk it? [sarcasm]
I read the Adam Jones story today, too...yep, totally classless, knuckle-dragging nitwits....
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Idiots having the ability to cause ugly incidents with racism is just the cost of an open society as I see it. You just eject the fans if you get proof, but otherwise there is nothing you can really do about it.

It's moronic to see all these people claiming boston fans are some awful racists because these incidents happen once every few years or so. This very small minority exists everywhere.
0 x