CELTICS and the NBA

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: CELTICS and the NBA

Unread post by ramster »

Just now at 8pm at the start of the Red Sox - Rangers Game on ESPN it was announced on the Players Tribune that Hayward will be going to Boston for 4 years, $128 million. So maybe now it's done
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote:Just now at 8pm at the start of the Red Sox - Rangers Game on ESPN it was announced on the Players Tribune that Hayward will be going to Boston for 4 years, $128 million. So maybe now it's done
The Players' Tribune is athlete-penned editorials and articles, so yeah, it's done.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

My cousin and I had a bet today. He said Woj would break it, I said it would come from Player's Tribune. I got bingo
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I hope we dont trade Smart but if Hayward wanted a max contract we cant just trade Rozier and have to ditch a core player.

Sucks we are losing Kelly but it could be very interesting to see how this team does next year. We have so many Wings now it's a bit nuts.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Anyone watch the summer league game the other night?
My guy to watch is Zizic.
We know Brown can play, and I think we know Tatum can score at this level, but at this point, Zizic is kind of an important piece.
C's have no backup bigs with any NBA experience.
It's Zizic and Yabousele in that role battling for 2nd team minutes.
I know I heard he was raw, but I have to say I was a little disappointed.
Just the way he plays (or at least how they positioned him the other night), he looks nothing like a Brad Stevens player.
Possession after possession, it was run down the floor, put his butt in the defender on the block, and try to carve out some space.
He had some advanced footwork, but was basically on the block except with the occasional pick-and-roll.
He did have a nice drive in the 3rd quarter where he drew a foul.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Cs finishing up a deal of Avery Bradley to Pistons for Marcus Morris. This will allow them the salary room to sign Hayward as Morris is on a very reasonable contract with 2 ears left at 5m per yr.

Morris looks like a stretch 4 who offers little help defensively. Not much of a rebounder either. 14ppg 4.5rpg in 32mpg last yr.

Fine addition i suppose. Hopefully Stevens can get the most out of him.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its unfortunate to lose him, but we had to shred some cash and got a respectable player in return.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think Morris is a great fit to fill Amir's spot in the starting lineup.
Amir was a better rebounder, but not significantly so.
I believe Morris is a 36% 3 pointer shooter for his career, which should be a nice upgrade for a Steven's offense.
Should get plenty of open looks with IT and now Hayward.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think Morris is a great fit to fill Amir's spot in the starting lineup.
Amir was a better rebounder, but not significantly so.
I believe Morris is a 36% 3 pointer shooter for his career, which should be a nice upgrade for a Steven's offense.
Should get plenty of open looks with IT and now Hayward.
I agree with you - I thought Ainge fleeced Detroit in this trade, considering that most of the league knew the Celtics had to trade Bradley, Smart or Crowder. Morris is a useful player, and I didn't think the Celtics would get much for Bradley's expiring contract, especially since they were under pressure to make a deal. (I also think this allows the Celtics to move Smart or Crowder at some point this year, if Brown and/or Tatum are contributing.)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saturday's Summer League Observations and Results.....

- Tatum looks great. In a win over the Lakers and Lonzo Ball Tatum 33 min, 27 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 TO, 9-19 FG, 1-1 on 3PG, 8-8 FT. Guy I wanted at #1 and Danny Ainge could be looking very good once this Upcoming Rookie Year season ends. Could end up a very astute move to unload that #1 pick to move to #3 to get the guy he wanted anyway.
- Semi Ojeleye, the Duke Transfer to SMU who played 1 year for the Ponies looked great yesterday. 29 minutes, 19 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 TO, 6-13 FG, 5-9 on 3PG, 2-4 FT. Semi shot 42.4% for SMU on threes last year. Celtics took Ojeleye with the 37th Pick in the Draft this year

- Munford with a nice game with Golden State yesterday. He started the game, 18 min, 6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 TO, 2-5 FG, 2-2 on 3FG. Finished with a +14. Playing against the much acclaimed Fultz who played 15 min, 8 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 TO, only 3-12 FG, 0-3 on 3FG, 2-4 FT and finished with a -16
- A10 Davidson's Jack Gibbs played well for Minnesota. 19 min, 17 points, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 TO, 7-12 FG, 3-7 on 3FG,
- Caleb Swanigan of Portland I thought went too low in the draft. 28 minutes, 16 points, 13 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 TO, 4-12 FG, 1-3 on 3FG, 7-8 FT. Portland plays the Celtics tonight at 8:30 on ESPN2
- Kris Dunn now at Chicago. 30 minutes, 11 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 TO, 3-12 FG, 1-3 on 3FG, 4-4 FT but finished with a woeful -24
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10's Deandre Bembry opening up some eyes in NBA Summer League Action

Bembry was solid today: 26 minutes, 16 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 steals, 3 TO, 4-6 FG, 8-10 FT for an impressive +18

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bulls with a disaster Summer Game shooting wise. Now have lost Kris Dunn for the rest of the Summer League as he leaves team for family reasons.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In games on Monday July 10:
Xavier Munford got the start for Golden State. 11 min, 0-3 FG, 0-1 on 3PG, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 TO for a -10
Deandre Bembry continues to play well. Started. 21 min, 19 points on 6-11 FG, 2-3 on 3FG, 3-4 FT, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, zero TO, +21
Cotton from PC not having a good summer league. 16 min, 0-3 FG, 2 rebounds, 1 TO
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

A couple days late on this but did anyone notice Brandon Austin is on the Sixers summer league roster. That guy just keeps getting chances.

Tatum looks awesome. I hope the Celtics hang onto the 2018 BK pick and the LA/Sacto pick and keep putting young talent around Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ojeleye really impressed the Celtics
Not bad for a 2nd round pick to sign a 4 year contract.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/rep ... -year-deal
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Big and huge. Hate giving up BK pick but we are better today than we were yesterday.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Love it...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Big and huge. Hate giving up BK pick but we are better today than we were yesterday.
Is it weird that that part made me the most nervous too? haha. Thomas' hip injury scares the hell out of me, so I'm happy dealing him while he's still at peak value, and before the Celtics had to make a decision about whether to give him a max. Even if Irving doesn't want to re-sign, two years of him, or one year plus whatever you can flip him for next year, I think that's worth the pick, Thomas and Crowder (kind of redundant given the other players on the roster now).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great trade!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Here's my take, I felt bummed for 20 minutes for Isaiah and crowder who helped the Celtics stay afloat the past few years. That said, IT had one year left, a hurt hip, and wants a huge max deal. Crowder is okay but nothing special, zizic is unknown and a picks a pick. For kyrie, who's 4 years younger then IT, and he's better, plus the Celtics still have the lakers pick next season.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the Boston Globe:

In the end, however, Irving is an upgrade. He is a marvelous scorer, ball-handler, and finisher on a reasonable contract and he will play with great motivation. He wanted out of Cleveland. He played to oppose James. He wanted a fresh start and he is the cornerstone that Ainge has been chasing for years.
Fans have asked for the past four years when Ainge was going to cash in these draft picks and get that superstar. Well, Tuesday was the night. It happened fast. It was a shocker, and the Celtics are a better team than they were 24 hours ago.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celt ... story.html

and this is also an informative article, particularly on Ainge....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celt ... story.html
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Nice posted letter...hard not to wish a guy like Isaiah well (until he plays the C's):

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/isaia ... cavaliers/

And even though I am not at all a Pats fan ...pretty cool thing for Brady to do....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

First pre season game in the books. So weird to see a former enemy as an ally (Kyrie) but he looked good along with Hayward and the rest of the gang. Lots of new names but I like love this squad.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tuned in last night for about 5 minutes....and was lucky(?) enough to hear this gem from Tommy, that went something like: "I'm tellin' ya...I took a look at this Baines guy in the shower and he looks like ALL of Australia...he's really put together." Ummm...what???

And, just caught a couple minutes of it, but imagine the WEEI-ers had a good old time with that this morning...
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well that was fun while it lasted.

Shockingly similar to what happened opening night here recently.

Yuk.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Horrible injury. Celtics forwards will need to step up quickly.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm going to be sick. Both for Celts season and for just seeing a guy's leg snap in half, again

From a fan perspective, it reminds me of seeing Brady go down in '08 and EC in '15. Just wipes out the excitement for the season in a matter of minutes. Over before it starts.

From an injury perspective, it looked a little like Kevin Ware's injury. I also saw it happen up close in high school. I forget who we were playing, but it was during the holiday tournament at Tolman. Dude went up in traffic and came down awkward, half of his leg went one way and the other half went the other way. Right in the middle of the shin, complete compound fracture and this one broke the skin (I don't think Hayward's did). Blood everywhere. I was maybe 8 feet away at the top of the key. They cleared everyone off the floor and we actually didn't finish the game because it was like a murder scene and we were up by like 30 points anyways. Former Rhody great Steve Mello threw up in the locker room. Was something I'll never forget. Totally get the reaction of the players on the court tonight.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Absolutely shocked then immediately depressed then went to the gym to blow off steam, Hayward is my new favorite player and I had to see that happen. Unbelievable but maybe it isn’t as bad as it looked. Hopefully he’s back for the playoffs but this Celtics team has heart!
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Highly anticipated first game of the season for expected star...nasty leg injury in the first few minutes...where have I seen that before?
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Wow i just saw the news about the injury today. Hopefully the guy gets better and can eventually get back to playing basketball once again. I would be shocked if he returns this season.

I'm not a doctor, but when i had a catastrophic leg injury back last summer i had little to do for a couple months but to read up on foot and leg injurys. Imo the scariest thing about an injury like this is in some ways not the fracture itself but the possibility of vascular, or even worse nerve damage as a result of the injury, or the resulting surgery. Just praying for the man and hope when he wakes up from the surgery tomorrow and can still has all the movement and feeling in his foot.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Highly anticipated first game of the season for expected star...nasty leg injury in the first few minutes...where have I seen that before?

I immediately thought back to EC's injury in game one vs American as well. Season with high expectations changes within minutes of its start.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good win for the C's tonight, nice performance by A-Ho.
Bucks seem like they should be pretty decent this year..the Freek, Middleton, Monroe, Snell...they have some talent.
How good of a coach is Kidd?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Another early season checkpoint for the C's... nice all around team efforts... hafta love what they're getting from Tatum and Brown
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Incredible win and what a comeback, this team is for real, with or without Larry Bird.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Very nice comeback, great win last night. Had to be one of Horford's best games as a Celtic last night.
Good to see the Kyrie Irving that torched them in the playoffs on this side. That 5 point play was sweet.
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Horford has got to be one of the most underrated stars in the game. His ppg and rpg numbers just don't come close to telling ho essential he has been for the team. Extending well beyond his clutch shooting, I simply can't recall another big an who is so valuable on offense even when he is rarely touching the ball.

I love the way he shoots open shots with little or no jump. I used to do this myself as a kid. I could never understand why my HS coach hated it as it's much easier to hit long shots this way imo.

Been really enjoying watching the Celtics this year. Has me rather eager for cbb season to begin!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

you hafta love Tommy..."there are problems in Cleveland...they just gotta bunch of old men".

As has been written a lot, it looks like Bron needs Kyrie more than vice versa....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

C's keep a-rollin'.....
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Did anyone know Kyrie Irving had defensive skills before coming to Boston? Top of the league for steals right now
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

All I know is...when it comes to the IT vs Kyrie matchup...I'd much rather be on this side than where they were last year...won't have to worry about taking your biggest offensive threat out of the game because he's a liability on D....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Completely agree 208. I loved the trade from the get go.
Also Celtics drafted the two guys I really, really wanted the last two years, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Love the 6'7" Brown at SG and Tatum could end up Rookie of the Year. Awesome that he is in the starting line up for the Celtics as a Rookie. Lot's of potential for improvement from both Brown and Tatum as the season progresses and they get more and more playing time under their belts
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

BleedBlue87 wrote:Did anyone know Kyrie Irving had defensive skills before coming to Boston? Top of the league for steals right now
He's played pretty decent defense in the finals and playoffs, so I had always assumed it was an effort / coasting thing, like the Cavs typically do in the regular season. Their swoon this year is interesting, though - it seems deeper than their past ones, and it's hard to project where the defensive improvement is going to come from, unless they're just going to bench some of the veterans.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think the Celts are the team to beat in the east...Cavs look to be on their way out. Even if IT comes back, he's not going to get the scoring ops with LeBron there, and he still won't be able to guard anyone. Only a matter of time before LeBron throws in the towel and they're toast...playoffs toast, but still toast...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yet Another win!
34 points on14-22 fg shooting for Kyrie
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nine in a row!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

9 in a row, yee-hah. Can't wait to see Marcus on Lonzo on Weds!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TEN!!!

Pen these C's in for The Finals...
0 x