NBA Draft 2015 Thursday June 25

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ramster
Frank Keaney

NBA Draft 2015 Thursday June 25

Unread post by ramster »

NBA Draft.net - New Big East and A 10 Candidates for 2015

There are no BE Players and 1 A10 Player predicted in the first 2 rounds for Thursday.
Will be interesting to watch to see where these Mid Major guys go - based on June 18th Mock Draft from NBADraft.net
Cameron Payne Murray State - 9th
RJ Hunter Georga State - 30th
Richaun Holmes Bowling Green - 36th
Treveon Graham VCU - 58th

http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2502 ... -prospects

For latest 2016 NBADraft.net of interest there is 1 BE and 1 A10 Player picked to go inthe first two rounds. Both playing in our home state. Not other BE or A10 Players.
EC Mathews URI - 15th
Kris Dunn Providence - 17th
Shawn Long - Louisiana Lafayette - 37th
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: NBA Draft 2015 Thursday June 25

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm not a fan of mock drafts more than a year out, too hard to project.

For example, Marquette landed a commitment from Top 10 recruit Henry Ellenson. NBADraft.net doesn't list him in their mock presumably because they don't think he'll go pro. Draft Express has him listed as a Top 10 pick. NBADraft.net lists Matthews as a potential lottery pick, Draft Express doesn't even have him on their draft board. I remember at one point before the 13-14 collegiate season, NBADraft saw Tyler Harris as a Top 25 pick.

Outside of the few clear, elite prospects, mock drafts are typically very subjective.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO Dunn not turning pro was a bad move, but he for sure will get picked ahead of EC next season -- I am guessing he is Top 10 versus going Top 20 this year if he came out, moving up 10 spots while risking another injury and the unknown of the international market and how that impacts next years draft seems like a risky move.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I see Dunn as a better pro than EC at this point......EC needs a monster year with improvements in his game to get into the first round....all
Dunn needs is a more consistent outside shot..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This Mock has Cady LaLanne from UMASS going #60 at end of the 2nd round this Thursday
Only A10 or BE player

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2015-nba-m ... 07348.html
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NBAdraft.net has the better URL, but both ESPN's mocks and DraftExpress tend to be better, if I'm remembering correctly from when I was more involved in hoops stats and the draft projection stuff. (Like 2008 to 2011ish.) However, I could be mixing them up with another site... Regardless, Dunn being behind Mathews on a draft ranking at this point is silly, and I say this as someone who did have them flip-flopped in Fall 2014. Dunn had a really strong year and proved he could stay healthy, while Mathews had a good but not great year and struggled through injuries and what not. I still think he's a draft prospect, but projects of him in the lottery and teens of the first round were done so with the belief that he would have a gangbusters sophomore year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dunn is a lock to go first round next year, EC needs a huge year to make the jump to first round.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Should be interesting for the #2 and #3 picks in the first round tonight to see what Danny Ainge cooks up, if anything.

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2015 ... _to_o.html
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

rumors are celtics trade (pending okafor falling to 3) 16 and sullinger to charlotte for 9. celtics would then send 9 and other ammunition (possibly smart) to the 76ers if okafor falls to 3
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Knick fans are not happy. Rumor that celtics move up to 9th pick gaining steam
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Fizzle. Head scratcher
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Bad pick by the Cs. They should've traded down to get Rozier, plus they have three point guards and AB now.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Big yawner.
I thought Decker would have been a solid pick.
Celtics are guard heavy.
So, they draft another guard with their second pick.
Is Danny Ainge channeling Danny Hurley?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Love the RJ Hunter pick - I think he'll be a useful player in the league for a while. Not crazy about the first pick, since best case scenario, Rozier becomes what Marcus Smart is. The Celtics have enough holes and question marks on their roster that it seems strange that their first pick is essentially a back-up on their current roster. It makes more sense if they pull off some major deal involving Smart, but I also think the Celtics get linked to way more rumors and potential deals than they ever are actually involved in each year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mickey a nice pick.
Then they grab yet another guard in the second round.
WTF!
Jalen Rose said they are going to play in the 6'7" and under league.
So far, ONE NBE and one A-10 player taken, and both in the 2nd round.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Mickey a nice pick.
Then they grab yet another guard in the second round.
WTF!
Jalen Rose said they are going to play in the 6'7" and under league.
To be fair to them, it's not like they have zero big men on the roster - Sullinger, Oleynick, Jerebko, Zeller. They're not stars, but they're serviceable, and we've seen two finals in a row where bigger players (Tiago Splitter, Andrew Bogut, Timothy Mizgov) were forced off the floor by smaller, nimbler lineups. It's easier to find quality guards later in the draft than quality bigs. Obviously, all these guards aren't going to make the Celtics, but Ainge has been a better-than-average drafter over the years.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Also, unless the Sixers or Hawks shock the world by taking an American college player, it looks like Cady Lalanne will be the A-10's lone draftee this year. He was taken #55 overall, 2-25, by the Spurs. Great landing spot for him, since they always seem to get the best out of their draft picks.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I missed a St, John's player getting drafted.
Mizgov was almost unstopable at times. No way Green or the small
GS players could contend with him. When did he get driven off the floor?
Bogut was replaced by 6'11" Festus Ezeli.
Splitter? He stinks.

Stephen A. Smith is going absolutely ballistic over the Knicks' pick.
He said Phil Jackson"hoodwinked" Knick' fans.
Love him. Real passion and no BS.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:I missed a St, John's player getting drafted.
Mizgov was almost unstopable at times. No way Green or the small
GS players could contend with him. When did he get driven off the floor?
Bogut was replaced by 6'11" Festus Ezeli.
Splitter? He stinks.
Mozgov played nine minutes in game five. Bogut was replaced in the starting lineup by the finals MVP. Bogut got DNPs the last two games, with Ezeli playing 11 and 3 minutes, and David Lee playing 1 and 9 minutes. A lot of the playoffs this year exposed non-two way players, since at various points, guys like Tony Allen, the more lumbering big men and the poor free throw shooters had to be sat.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, Mozgov was terrible. You win.
Lee was key in game 3.
They also had to take the series MVP out of the game at points when he
couldn't shoot free throws better than Stevie Wonder.
I can cherry pick,. too.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Cavs should have stuck to the big line up and grinded it out. They were right there at the end of 2 games and lost.

Their big lineup was very effective, to say the warriors were healthy and the cavs were not is true. I think the cavs bully lineup ran through the playoffs and dominated. They just came up short down the stretch both with coaching and the players focus.

Most of the teams that were at the top of the playoffs have/had great front courts.

Funny thing about Mozgov is he is an able post player and he got 28 in the finals. Imagine a player like Okafor in that position, he could have scored over 40. The NBA is a big man's league, if they are all healthy for a season or two it will be reflected even more.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look at all the bigs chosen as lottery picks, last night.
As for the Celtics, I haven't heard anyone, experts, pundits
or fans, who remotely liked their draft night.
Particularly the Rozier pick. Nobody had him as high as Ainge did.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That seemed like a weak draft pool, which makes it all the more odd that Kris Dunn decided to stay at PC. Seems to me he would have gone anywhere from #10-15 last night with any type of decent performance in Pre-Draft workouts. With his athleticism you would think he would have scored well in private workouts. The only way this decision makes sense is if he is a Top 5 pick next season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most all Mock Drafts had no players to be drafted from the BE and only 1 from the A10 (either Traveon Graham or Cady Lalanne)
Surprisingly, as it turned out BE got 2 and A10 1.

#38 Darrun Hilliard - Villanova went to Detroit
#53 Sir'Dominic Pointer - St John's went to Cleveland
#55 Cady Lalanne - UMASS went to San Antonio
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

To explain my reasoning a bit more clearly here - I still think there is a premium on size, and especially skilled size, when it comes to the NBA and drafting. However, as a result, I think those talents are scouted much better, and you're far less likely to find skilled size the later you get into the draft. Whereas with wings and guards, you can still get quality bench reserves. And as time has gone by, it's gotten harder and harder to "hide" players who have major defects on offense or defense.

So with that in mind, I'm fine with the Celtics using more of their picks - the first of which came at #15 - on guards and wings than big men who probably can't play anyway. It's probably too soon to evaluate the 2013 and 2014 drafts, but you have to go back to 2008 - Roy Hibbert - to find the last PF/C to be drafted past #15 to make an all-star team. In 2007, you had Marc Gasol who was taken in the second round, but who developed really late. Millsap was a second round pick in 2006. David Lee was 2005.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm willing to bet that Sam Decker has a better career than Rozier.
I haven't read or heard one person say they liked the pick.
The Celtics got killed on talk radio and Boston.com.
Now the Bruins are deservedly also getting massacred in
the same way.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

If the Celtics do what I think they may attempt to do, then I'm ok with the picks. I think the goal is to move guys like Smart, Sullinger, and picks to bring in talented, All-Star level bigs.

Then they can pair a traded player with a free agent or two they attempt to lure and build a talented front-court. If they trade for Cousins and somehow land Love and another big, things look a lot different.

Just play out some of the rumors to the depth chart ...

PG - Thomas/Rozier
SG - Bradley/Young/Hunter
SF - Turner/Pierce/Crowder/Wallace
PF - Love/Bass (FA)/Mickey
C - Cousins/Olynyk/Zeller

That's a team that would be a few slight, reserve moves away from contender (I think that team could win the East next year), and hopefully would be able to hold on to one or two of the Brooklyn unprotected picks. If that's the play, who cares about all the guard picks?

Their issue is going to be actually turning hopes and aspirations into acquisitions. Everyone thought it would be easy last summer and that the Celtics could lure Kevin Love from the Timberwolves with Rajon Rondo and lots of picks. Didn't quite work out that way.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

IF those moves were made, sure. The Celtics
become interesting and probably instant contenders.
Jalen Rose said 20 times the other night, that Love would not
stay in the East, because he didn't want to face Lebron.
I wonder if Kevin Love is that timid? Doubt it.
Always liked him as a player. He was a bad fit in Cleveland.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unless your picks are in the first 5 they are proving valueless. Everything else is a crapshoot
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'm surprised more people aren't interested in the Brooklyn picks ... Talk about a sinking ship over there. Those picks should have some value. Between the players on the back nine and how they want to basically gut the money from their team (they've tried to trade Lopez, Johnson, and Williams), they are only a few moves away from being a potential Top 3 pick.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:The Celtics got killed on talk radio and Boston.com.
Now the Bruins are deservedly also getting massacred in
the same way.
The Celtics are getting killed I believe partly on the pick, but mostly because of the expectations surrounding trades people expected them to make. Maybe what I'm about to say comes from not caring about the NBA and being a hockey guy, but I can't even put into words what's going on with the Bruins and it's unfair to the Celtics to compare the situations. The Bruins have been dying a slow death since at least the Seguin deal and a lot of people who closely followed the team knew judgment day would be coming if they didn't alter their philosophy. Well that started this past season. But what has happened the last 24 hours defies all logic, and I'd say I don't get the plan, but since literally no one can get it I'm left with the uneasy feeling that there isn't a real plan in place, and worse, my second favorite childhood athlete is largely responsible for running it all off the rails. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get any better.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Even as a non-hockey guy, I perceived the Bruins were heading in the wrong direction prior to this season and said so here (to much pushback from the Bruins fans among us).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011