Bad Yankees

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bad Yankees

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I know I'm a Yankee fan, but this season is shaping up to be the worst in a LONG time.

Too many old, broken down players, from Beltran to Texiera to Sabathia, and on and on....

Even Tanaka is going to blow his elbow out soon, and be done for at least another year. Too many pitches, even at a relatively young age.

Too many bloated contracts. The chickens have come home to roost.

Hey, it happens to the best of them. They can't, and won't hit their way out of a paper bag this season.

And I know it's only one game, but it's plain as day what's going to happen....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Bad Yankees

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't get why they didn't just do Tanaka's surgery over the winter so he could pitch all or almost all of 2016. They aren't going to be competitive this year whether he pitches or not. If he pitches until June then blows it out and has Tommy John in July he is not going to pitch until 2017.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I know, that made no sense whatsoever.

He's going to suck until he blows it out, then miss probably 18 months.

Stupid. A waste of a year, at least.

It's going to be at least a couple of years before they contend again. I think even Cashman knows that.

At least they are building their farm system, which was barren until recently.

The only way to succeed when it comes to signing free agents nowadays, is when a team only has one or two needs, and can fill them without overpaying some 30-something retread.

The Yanks have way more than one or two needs.....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I was watching MLB Network this week, and they said there seemed to be a wait and see with Tanaka's arm to see if he could embrace and succeed pitching with decreased velocity. They said tough to comment on command after one game where he got lit up. Problem they are going to run into is that by delaying surgery, they could box themselves into a corner where they lose him for nearly 2 seasons. I can understand not wanting to waste the money they spent on him, but they should not want to make the same mistake the Red Sox made with Lackey. The Sox basically got 1.5 good years out of Lackey (out of 4.5), but had to shut him down the 3rd year of that deal. That 2nd year with Lackey, I think he had one of the worst seasons in MLB history for a starter who threw X amount of games. It was basically a waste of a year, think his ERA was in the neighborhood of 6.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

My favorite baseball team is whoever is playing the pinstripes.

They can't lose enough for me.

(Just like the friars)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They will be eliminated by June.

Not that the Red Sox will be that great either. Maybe a wild card team....
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I turned on the Sox/Yanks game Friday night and I don't think there's any way I could sit and watch an entire baseball game. Whether on TV or at the park.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:They will be eliminated by June.

Not that the Red Sox will be that great either. Maybe a wild card team....
I don't think the Red Sox are a championship caliber team unless they trade for a top-of-rotation starter, but I think they'll win the division easily. Not a good division at all.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Sox have played 2 of the worst 5 teams in baseball this year (no one is expecting the Phillies or Yanks to be good)

Don't be too confident about the division TP, there are still good teams in the division
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I disagree. Baltimore is a less talented version of the Red Sox. Toronto is Toronto. Yanks and Rays are punchless.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just to clarify, I don't love this Red Sox team as it is currently constructed at all. I just like the rest of the division less.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Taylor Swift wrote:I turned on the Sox/Yanks game Friday night and I don't think there's any way I could sit and watch an entire baseball game. Whether on TV or at the park.
As long as baseball is run by a bunch of elderly gentlemen who make serious $$$ today, they won't make any significant changes to bring time-wasting under control.

When everyone 15-30 is 45+ yrs old, MLB will be in big trouble at this pace. NOBODY can watch a 3hr 15m baseball game 6/7 days a week. It's hard enough to just carve that much time out in one day never mind follow the team and support those ridiculous TV network contracts.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:I turned on the Sox/Yanks game Friday night and I don't think there's any way I could sit and watch an entire baseball game. Whether on TV or at the park.
As long as baseball is run by a bunch of elderly gentlemen who make serious $$$ today, they won't make any significant changes to bring time-wasting under control.

When everyone 15-30 is 45+ yrs old, MLB will be in big trouble at this pace. NOBODY can watch a 3hr 15m baseball game 6/7 days a week. It's hard enough to just carve that much time out in one day never mind follow the team and support those ridiculous TV network contracts.
Agreed! I almost think three hours is on the low side for today's typical MLB game. No one has the time or attention span for that every night. I've also been hearing that some town Little Leagues and high schools are having a hard time putting together a baseball team. I know around here in South County a lot of kids are more interested in playing lacrosse as their spring sport.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ATPTourFan wrote:

Your description applies to each professional sport, and NCAA football and basketball. ;) They're all getting longer because they're all getting more commercials. Baseball is the longest of the major sports, but in a way, I'd argue that its leisurely pace is probably a benefit in some respects. It's a good casual program to leave on in the background while you do other things, with the intensity racketing up during the later innings of individual games and the playoffs in the context of the season. I'm OK with a game being anywhere from 2 to 5 hours, as opposed to rigidly timed - as George Carlin would say - in professional football.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Carlin's comparison of baseball and football was pure genius.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote:I know around here in South County a lot of kids are more interested in playing lacrosse as their spring sport.
:-(
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm an old dude......I like baseball....the way it is......the longer the better.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Football is the best sport to watch but baseball is, by far, the best game.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Taylor Swift wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:

I've also been hearing that some town Little Leagues and high schools are having a hard time putting together a baseball team. I know around here in South County a lot of kids are more interested in playing lacrosse as their spring sport.
Because of Coach Carr a lot of SK's best athletes switch to tennis.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I never got "the longer, the better" comments, whether from older fans, traditionalists, or players. Back in the early 1990s, the average game lasted 2:30. Now, it's a tick under 3 hours. It's an extra 30 minutes per game a night. The game has changed. Sabermetrics and the "Walk Theorem" mean significantly more pitches, longer plate apperances, and more relief changes. Why people can't accept a shorter game is beyond me. I love a good, close ball game. But I'd love it more if that 11 inning thriller took 3 hours instead of 4. I'd love to be able to watch a close game take closer to 2 hours than 3. Has nothing to do with drastically changing the game, but it's just like basketball. When offenses continuously exhaust the shot clock and reduce offense, nudge it along by slightly by lowering the shot clock. If players are taking too many charges close to the basket, talk about moving the restricted area out. You mention changes for baseball, it's like Taboo "How dare you change our precious game" The fans with the attention spans for a 4 hour baseball game aren't going to be along forever. So shouldn't we change it to try to make it more appealing to everyone, rather than appease a small group of people? But alas like everything else in the country .... SELFISH...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think I ever recall anyone arguing that a longer game is better. The biggest baseball fans are the ones most concerned about the length of the games, because they feel it is killing the sports' popularity. I think everyone would love to shorten the games, the issue is how to do it without too fundamentally changing the nature of the sport.

The lengthening of the game hasn't resulted from any rule change, but from the game evolving within the rules that have existed for a long time (i.e., the players and managers have found strategic advantages in doing things that lengthen the game, like stepping out of the box and changing pitchers for every late-game situation).

It probably isn't realistic to expect it to further evolve in a way that shortens the games, so some rules adjustments are going to be required. They've already instituted some. The trick will be to do it in a way that has a real effect without too fundamentally changing the nature of the sport which has remained the same for generations.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Longer stinks.
Look, I started following baseball in the 1961 season.
So many greats played during that time.
Batters didn't have to step out after every pitch.
Pitchers works very quickly, not acting like every pitch was with two outs
and bases loaded.
Check the times for those games.
Now you get someone like Papi crying about him not being able to think,
if he can't back out and spit all over himself.
Mantle, Mays, Clemente, et al, never needed this routine to put up their
great numbers.
Warren Spahn pitched 259 inning when he was 42 years old and won 23 games, with a 2.60 ERA and
22 complete games!!!
Now, we have pitch counts, pitchers who can't go 6 innings, loads of stopages for
pitching changes, and mound visits.
MLB exces should find game films from the 50's and 60's and see the difference.
Baseball is one game that clearly hasn't gotten better, and has declined in every way.
I loved baseball. It was the first team game I played, and
the first pro sport I followed.
Now, I hardly ever watch an entire game. I'm sure I'm not alone.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Well, I think the biggest change that will be adopted is the pitch clock for when runners are not on base. Good pitchers who don't allow a lot of base runners would probably be sped up 5-10 seconds per pitch. If you multiply that by 70 pitches without a runner on base, there is 6-12 minutes. Over the course of an entire game, I think you are talking 15-20 minutes comfortably that is just "Hey ahole, pick it up a little bit, you aren't more important than anybody else." I would start thet clock on receiving the ball ... I was at McCoy the other night, they waited for the guy to step on the rubber. No way, he gets the ball, and the clock starts. A guy like Steven Wright was consistently throwing it with 9-11 seconds left on the clock. If you started when he got the ball, there would have consistently been 3-5 seconds on the clock. If he can do it, so can everyone else.
0 x