The Patriot Way

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

The Patriot Way

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Well, The Pats had quite a day. They lost their best back and BOTH cornerbacks. (Revis goes to the Jets).
Looking forward to seeing Dennard and Ryan at the corners next year.
Bye bye Super Bowl.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Patriot Way

Unread post by TruePoint »

Haha someone made a post like this after the KC game last year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Does your quarterback have functioning knees? Mine doesn't.

The Eagles way? Become Oregon.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

After that game, they got their interior line back. If they didn't, there would have been more KC type games. They also had Revis and Browner.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The rest of the AFC Least has finally woken up, and realized they had to make some serious moves to have a chance to dethrone the Pats.

Doesn't mean they will, but the gap is closing. Looks like the Jets finally have some people in their front office that have a clue.

They still need a QB, though. Geno Smith? Pul-eeze. Same for the Bills.

That's where the Pats still have their biggest edge over their rivals. Well Gronk too.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:After that game, they got their interior line back. If they didn't, there would have been more KC type games. They also had Revis and Browner.
OK fine, sit the season out if it makes you feel better.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This Revis news registers right above deflate gate on the meter.

He's good. Hes 30. He isn't worth that percentage of a cap for a team looking to win a Super Bowl.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would have loved to have had him back, but that number is insane. I'm glad the Pats don't do that. It is what has allowed them to remain elite for a decade and a half.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Normally, I'd feel the same way, TP. It's a lot of money for one player. I'm just looking at how long Brady has left.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This is like the most New England'y thread ever. Related: http://media.weei.com/a/83334645/the-mo ... boston.htm
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:Does your quarterback have functioning knees? Mine doesn't.

The Eagles have a quarterback?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

Whatever. Don't even act like you're not jealous of a quarterback trifecta of Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, and Matt Barkley.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Needs more Ducks.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint wrote:I would have loved to have had him back, but that number is insane. I'm glad the Pats don't do that. It is what has allowed them to remain elite for a decade and a half.
The Pats just over-extended themselves on McCourty, so you should be consistent and hate that signing, right?

The Jets gave Revis huge guarantees his 1st two seasons ($33 million), and a partial his 3rd ($6 million). For an all-time CB, they committed themselves for 2, maybe 3 years at a number not much higher than what the other great corners are getting.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I would have much rather signed Revis to the deal the Jets signed him to and let McCourty go, rolling the dice at safety.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Devin is 27 at the beginning of his prime where Revis is 30 and exiting.

The price point was higher for Revis also. IMHO I think McCourty does more on the field too. He is also a guy drafted and a locker room leader.

I don't understand how anyone could clear cut say Revis was a better option than McCourty given the money.

Revis is suddenly this darling after the Jets declined him twice and he floundered in Tampa. If the Pats don't throw him a lifeline there is noway he is where he is today.
0 x
banderson1311
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by banderson1311 »

:D Only in New England would fans give up on the defending champion's season less than 24 hours into free agency.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Because people saw McCourty play pre-Revis where he was basically just another guy on a really bad defense, and we saw how much better the defense looked as a whole with Revis out there and how the entire secondary set better with a dominating #1.

McCourty is good at what he does, but he was allowed to set into a much better role of "deep" safety because a lot of times he was set to Browner's side because you never really had to worry about Revis or his man.

The Patriots have plenty of money to spend, and they keep cutting away and trimming the fat on the roster. Where do they plan on spending it? Over-paying Revis on a 2/3 year deal wasn't a big deal given the space they have available.

Instead they'll probably continue to cut the fat, and open up space for extensions and try to save face that way. They'll overpay on someone like C. Jones and convince us how he's the next coming, even though 3 weeks ago they were pissed off at him. 7 playoff games, 1 sack, sign him to 4 year, $36 million extension. "See, that's why we couldn't sign Revis."
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's just silly talk. Revis was let go by the Jets because of his knee injury. Greg Schiano was so dumb in Tampa Bay that he played Revis in zone coverage. Then the Jets didn't take him back because Idzik had no idea how to construct a roster. Two of the dumbest franchises in football screwing up roster decisions doesn't make me look at Revis any differently.

Also, I'm not worried about the age difference. There's only three guaranteed seasons on Revis' deal, which takes him to 33, he'll have no problem playing at an elite level at 33. And the price point is higher because Revis is a significantly better player and cornerback is significantly tougher to play and far more important than safety. As proof of that, look at how McCourty flamed out at CB before he became a top safety.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

McCourty will be 28 when the season begins, Revis will be 30. McCourty is expendable, Revis is a hall of famer. You can figure out safety when you have Revis locking down one side of the field. Does anyone remember any of the safeties Revis played with when the Jets made it to back to back AFC Championship games?

McCourty got $28.5M guaranteed, Revis got $39M. You let McCourty walk and you figure out the where the extra $10.5M in guaranteed dough is coming from. I'll take my chances with Revis and some rando playing safety over McCourty and the scrubs the Pats have leftover at CB.

McCourty is a nice player don't get me wrong, but Revis is a game changer. Feel like the Pats are back to where they work between 2005 and this season, awesome head coach and QB that will need to rely solely on their offense to win games and when it gets to playing the premiere teams in the NFL the Pats will lose.

What a wild first day of free agency it was, really like what Seattle has done.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

STC wrote:McCourty got $28.5M guaranteed, Revis got $39M. You let McCourty walk and you figure out the where the extra $10.5M in guaranteed dough is coming from.
Exactly. Although I do believe if they wanted to, they could have afforded both. The deals with Vince, Browner, Amendola, Mayo, etc. make sense. They carried over a ton of money from last season, as well as an increased salary cap this season. They were more than capable of carrying the hit for a few years with both players.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

McCourty has been an all pro at both CB and S. Revis is an all timer, but its not like his first year in the league. He has played many years and only made one Super Bowl.

He was lights out this year. He also got picked by the ref in the Super Bowl. Savy move from the receiver, not savy from Revis. He isn't bullet proof.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Who cares that McCourty was all-pro at corner? If he was still that caliber player he'd be a corner. He couldn't stop a nose-bleed which is why he became a safety.

Revis gives up one completion in the Super Bowl and gets knocked? McCourty played a lousy SB but no one talks about that. He got abused as help safety, but it's one game.

Both were very good all season, but in this NFL a strong corner is more important than a strong safety.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Let's see....the Pats let the best player in the NFL at his position go, and it's OK.
After all, he's 30 year old! So, he'll be one year older than
what you saw this year.
Does anyone really feel he's going to just turn into a pumpkin, because he's 30?
You've let Revis, Browner, Wilfork, and Vereen go.
You signed McCortey. BFD!
So, Brady restructured his contract, why?
Reminds me of the Florida Marlins winning the World Series and
just dumping many of the the guys who got them there.
Oh, there's still the draft! Belichick will stockpile choices for 2035.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I wish you guys were awake last night when I posted this thread. I felt like I was in the middle of a gang bang.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Read some comments on WEEI.com. They're doing what Boston fans
like to do with players who leave town.
TRASH THEM!
Revis is a money whore, who's old, and Blah! Blah! Blah!
The same fans who were abandoning ship after the KC game, and now
defending management and acting as if it were their money Revis
was asking for.
Some things never change.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Part of being a Patriots fan is to not fall in love with the players, except Brady......because they are all subject to the cold-hearted decisions of the Belichick administration...eventually Brady may suffer this same fate......it is also part of being a Patriots fan to see how Belichick builds his roster and if he can continue to be the best coach in the NFL and lead the team into the playoffs and to championships....

....I don't fall in love with players and agonize when they are let go or move on for more money somewhere else....it will be interesting next year....and more interesting to see if Belichick can win without Brady some time in the future....or will they both ride off into the sunset together....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

Whatever. Don't even act like you're not jealous of a quarterback trifecta of Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, and Matt Barkley.
Hey, it's Tebow Time for you Ace!
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I guess at least they're in the news! Was talking Eagles QB tonight with an Eagles fan. Better than nothing i suppose. Bradford may surprise, as for the rest of them...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Speaking of the Pats:

0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Is Gronk standing on the bar? He could be our center...
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

The Pats got a good one tonight in Malcolm Brown. A very versatile player, considering his size. Didn't expect him to be there for 32.
It's apparent that they're focusing on the front 7 now to make up for their weaker secondary. Tomorrow should be interesting.
They should be able to get a few quality offensive linemen. Unfortunately, this wasn't a good year for corners (especially corners without problems).
For selfish reasons, I'd love to see them get Tyler Lockett (receiver). I don't think they will, however.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Front seven now loaded with first round talent
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Didn't like tonight's picks at all.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramfan85 wrote:Didn't like tonight's picks at all.
Loved the Brown pick but I also did not care for the picks last night. Makes no sense to grab a guy several rounds earlier than expected to go.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
Loved the Brown pick but I also did not care for the picks last night. Makes no sense to grab a guy several rounds earlier than expected to go.
Well I remember they did that a few years ago, drafted a guy in the second round, most thought he would have been a 6th or 7th round pick. Don't believe ESPN even had highlight film of him to queue up. What was his name? Oh yeah ... Tavon Wilson. That was a great pick. :lol: :lol:
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Well I remember they did that a few years ago, drafted a guy in the second round, most thought he would have been a 6th or 7th round pick. Don't believe ESPN even had highlight film of him to queue up. What was his name? Oh yeah ... Tavon Wilson. That was a great pick. :lol: :lol:
To be fair, Logan Mankins was a projected 4th round pick when the Pats took him in round 1 and that pick turned out ok. Hope this pick is more Logan Mankins and less Tavon Wilson
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Point is they could have made this pick several rounds later.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

It's probable that they felt someone else was relatively high on him and would pick him before he was projected to go. Could they have dropped down and picked him a little bit later? Probably, but there's no guarantee that he'd still be there and the Patriots must have given him a round 3 grade. You have to give the Patriots credit for the fact that, no matter the player, they assign a specific value and they stick to it. I think that in their eyes it wasn't a reach at all and was where he should have been drafted.

Also, it's important to remember that these projections are coming from outside sources and not the Patriots. For all we know, the Patriots and a couple of other teams could have been in on him in the middle rounds. If we know one thing, it's that the Patriots don't operate like most teams. If the Patriots had a late round grade on him and then proceeded to draft him in round 3, then I'd be suspicious, but I highly doubt that was the case.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Another year, another meltdown from Patriots fans who have better knowledge of college players and how they will fit into NFL systems than Bill Belichick. When do you guys think you are going to get your own team? Must be soon, don't go too far from your phones.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ramster wrote:
RJ,
Just to be clear, I think that you are saying that Tavon Wilson did not live up to expectations as a 2nd round draft pick, right?

Tavon Wilson was picked 48th - so mid second rounder - back in 2012. It was a shocker that the Patriots picked him mid 2nd round. Since then Wilson has started a total of 4 games in the past 3 years. There was no reason for the Patriots to draft Wilson that early because nobody else was going to. Wilson was expected to go 6th or more likely 7th round. You would expect a mid second round pick to be starting by now.
The jury is of course out on Richards, but it's a similar pattern where he would have gone 6th, 7th or even 8th round. Sometimes I think Bill just likes to pull everyone's chain from time to time.
Meanwhile I love the 1st round pick Malcom Brown DT from Texas and I'm good with Geneo Grissom DE from Oklahoma in the 3rd round.
Then the 4th round is awesome:
4th round, 2nd pick - Tre Flowers DE Arkansas
4th round, 12th pick - Tre Jackson OG Florida State
4th round 32nd pick - Shaq Mason C Georgia Tech
so 3 good defensive linemen in the first 4 rounds
And two good offensive linemen in first 4 rounds
What a great 4th round the Pats had - 3 potential starting linemen

Only the 2nd rounder I question - a high level pick to roll the dice on, but the rest of the draft so far looks outstanding
Last edited by ramster 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Another year, another meltdown from Patriots fans who have better knowledge of college players and how they will fit into NFL systems than Bill Belichick. When do you guys think you are going to get your own team? Must be soon, don't go too far from your phones.
It's only one guy for me, the second round pick. Love all the rest of the picks so far. Is Belichick not to ever be questioned?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NFL just dropped the hammer on the Pats for Deflategate.

Well deserved. Their arrogance in the whole situation, and Brady's failure to cooperate, likely made the penalties worse than they would have been otherwise.

One million dollars? Chump change to Kraft. Loss of a 1st round pick? Now that hurts!

4 games for Brady? Not going to make them miss the playoffs, but it sends the right message.

The integrity thing, will live with Brady the rest of his career. He still will be a Hall of Famer, and not affect his SB wins, but this is going to hurt his legacy no doubt.

And I think most Pats fans will agree.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Makes the NFL look dumb to railroad the Patriots over this, but everyone saw it coming. Hit a woman in the face, get two games. Commit a minor and inconsequential equipment violation (allegedly), get double the games plus a first round pick a million bucks. As absurd and unfair as it is, at the end of the day just gives Bill more ammunition for another "Fuck You" campaign. The last time the league got big for their britches the Pats went 16-0.

It is a good precedent the league has set, though. If you can't beat someone on the field, make them the victims of sham investigation over a minor rules violation, then regardless of what that sham investigation uncovers issue a punishment wholly unrelated to the alleged violation so some of the better teams have a small chance of beating them in the future. Reward the rats and whiners; punish the successful and the innovative. Cool league.

If this gets to a neutral arbitrator, most of this hilarious penalty will be overturned, if not all of it.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It's going to drop to 2 games....Garoppolo is going to be fine and the above mentioned campaign is game on.

Watch out league.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TP is right on.

If Gisele was your wife would you give up your phone or email?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree with TP also, for the most part. Brady knew something about what was going on, although there is no real proof. 2 games for Brady, maybe a fine for the team, would be more appropriate. The league just wants to come off as tough (far too late of course).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The rule book says that tampering with the balls after the refs have inspected them is grounds for a $25k fine. Why have rules if you are going to just arbitrarily make it up as you go along. He deserves a 25k fine, and that is all he deserves. Hell, if you want to assume he did it for every game last year, make it a $450k fine (we know he didn't for the SB). But suspending a guy because they took the weight of a dollar bill worth of air out of a ball is the definition of absurdity. This whole exercise has been an embarrassing witch hunt from the beginning, and it's obvious now that the fix was in. We'll be fine though.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I feel that this is the best rebuttal: www.yourteamcheats.com
San Diego adds stick'em to their towels, and receives a simple fine. Patriot staff members may or may not have intentionally deflated balls to gain an advantage (and to mess with Tom, judging by their texts), and it's this garbage punishment. Appeal should drop it to 2 games.
I'm hoping Brady throws 100 touchdowns this year - he's on another level when he plays angry.
0 x
Go Rhody!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Way too severe a penalty. In a court of law, this wouldn't stand up. However, the NFL is a dictatorship.
There's no guarantee an independent will even be assigned. If not, everything will remain. Goodell could hear the appeal, himself. That's fair????
It's like Andy Taylor in Mayberry. He's the arresting officer and the judge. Only, this isn't funny.
Having said that, Spygate and the Pats" arrogance made this worse than it had to be.
Too bad they didn't take a second round pick instead of a first (also ridiculous). That's always their worst round anyway.

Looking at their schedule, I think if they can go 2-2, they'll be ok. I know one thing, the game with the Colts will probably be the most watched game in history. I only wish it was being played here.
If I'm in the huddle that night, and the Pats are leading 60-0 in the fourth quarter, I'd be saying "Keep passing."

FUCK THE COLTS!!!!
0 x