Pawsox Sold, Moving to Worcester

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it

What do you think of the Pawsox sale?

It's bad, and I wish they would stay in Pawtucket.
55%
I'm in favor of the team moving to Providence.
27%
I'd prefer that the team move to Massachusetts.
7%
I don't care.
11%

Total votes: 56

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Pawsox Sold, Potentially Moving

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:RF1, yes. At this point , are there any near shovel ready projects in the pipeline for those types of jobs?

Possibly not now. But you are forever preventing it (any future high paying job on that site) by assigning that land to a seasonal entertainment operation.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't think the new owners understand what they bought. The PawSox are a blue collar experience playing in a stadium aptly located in a blue collar neighborhood/city. There is nothing pretentious with the current operation. Ben Mondor built this franchise up by appealing to families and seniors by providing them a low cost night out. Free parking, low price tickets, and no frills. It was just simple entertainment. The fans did not go to McCoy to see a skyline or patronize local restaurants and bars. They went to see baseball in a more pure form than the big leagues. I fear a move to Providence will disenfranchise a good portion of the present PawSox fanbase. While a new stadium may be just 5 miles away, it will be totally different. The new owners, despite any assurances, will not be able to keep ticket and concession prices low given they spent 20m to buy the team and plan to spend near 60m for a stadium. The lack of plentiful parking will also be a drawback. I think many fans will go to less games given the inevitable steeper cost. I also think many seniors will opt out for reasons other than cost. They make up a big portion of the season ticket base. They will not want to navigate downtown Providence traffic at the end of the rush hour and have to park further away and make a longer walk. I think many current customers will make far less trips to this new park. Ownership will then have to replace these fans. I think they are very ill informed about their franchise and don't understand what made it work. In my view they are taking a very big risk that is very unnecessary. Why change something that very clearly works? You don't want to mess with success.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I don't think their intended foot print would take all/most of the available land, the stadium could possibly fit in the waste lands off Allens Ave?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:I don't think their intended foot print would take all/most of the available land, the stadium could possibly fit in the waste lands off Allens Ave?
Their target parcel (as shown in a post above) is directly across from the Garrahy courthouse on the opposite river from Hemenways. This area is (will not be) a waste land. It is a very valuable pierce of land given its close proximity to the heart of downtown.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The folks on the I-195 commission should be going out and doing economic development of this land.....I thought they went to Pittsburgh to see the area of town where they created industry based upon medical related businesses.......It is easy to let the market drive the projects....but you are left with projects like college dorms or hotels coupled with retailing....nothing to create long-lasting good paying jobs that college grads are interested in....

....and if the extortionists who bought the PawSox are demanding huge public assistance for their project....then let them go to Foxboro and build there....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Feb. 24, 2015 6:18 PM ET
Loss of PawSox will devastate city, officials say
By AMY ANTHONY, Associated Press

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/wedding ... 8e9f9c5b22
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

RF1 wrote:Feb. 24, 2015 6:18 PM ET
Loss of PawSox will devastate city, officials say
By AMY ANTHONY, Associated Press

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/wedding ... 8e9f9c5b22
Agree or disagree with the move, what else would you expect them to say?
0 x
Go Rhody!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Let's pass a hat.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The new owners proposal to build a new stadium entirely with their own money ends up being very hollow. They want a subsidy of 4million/year from the state to help them out. This would be another huge burden to the RI taxpayer. Taxpayers are still paying off the RI Convention Center and Dunkin Donuts Center. These facilities can not even meet operating expenses and their administrators spend lavishly on perks for themselves. Can RI afford another entertainment venue?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I saw this coming as soon as I saw Skeffington was part of the group,
and Mattielo was chirping, "This is great for Providence!" (screw Pawtucket)
Now they want money that dwarfs 38 Studios funding.
Their leverage is that they'll move the team to MA or CT.
Let them. Let's see if those states can pony up 120 million plus.
RI can't afford to be subsidizing millionaires trying to pull a sweetheart
political deal.
This kind of deal is why RI is at the bottom of the economic barrel.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, is Ben Mondor still around?

If not, he's got to be on the spin cycle in his grave, with this typical RI bullshit involving his old franchise.

It never ends, does it?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rodfromcranston wrote:I saw this coming as soon as I saw Skeffington was part of the group,
and Mattielo was chirping, "This is great for Providence!" (screw Pawtucket)
Now they want money that dwarfs 38 Studios funding.
Their leverage is that they'll move the team to MA or CT.
Let them. Let's see if those states can pony up 120 million plus.
RI can't afford to be subsidizing millionaires trying to pull a sweetheart
political deal.
This kind of deal is why RI is at the bottom of the economic barrel.
It really wouldn't bother me if the Paw Sox moved to MA or CT at this rate. I think it's a ludicrous idea to build a park in Providence for AAA baseball. For the majority of the year the stadium will just sit there idle. Pretty soon RI won't have any taxpayers left to subsidize these plans that do nothing do grow the economy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The state should just call these idiot owners' bluff.

Unfortunately, given the history of RI politics....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

My take is, through Skeffington, the political part of this
was known before the team was purchased.
When a pol or ex pol is referred to as "a Godfather like figure", count
on some back room deals that will profit nobody but this person
and his associates.
A parking garage? McCoy parking is free.
I guess you can't rape the taxpayer by upgrading McCoy,
which is a perfectly fine venue.
I like how Don Orsillo was touting the proposed ballpark on
the Sox telecast, complete with the artist rendering of the park.
Too many people already in bed on this one.
Let's see if Raimondo follows or puts a stop to this madness.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I hope Gina does put a stop to it, Rod. It's ridiculous. "Look how pretty this looks in an artists rendering". It's like brainwashing with the Kool Aid.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How about millions of dollars to re-route sewer lines and
other things?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

URI FB to get use of new stadium in Providence

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

12-14 college football games, for Brown University and the University of Rhode Island,

What a great idea-15/20K per game-easy.

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150419478
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: URI FB to get use of new stadium in Providence

Unread post by TruePoint »

People are in the other thread killing the Providence Stadium idea. I don't particularly love it, either, but if they're going to build it I love the idea of us playing some games there. Hopefully football-use would be considered in the design of the stadium.

Also, I'm not going to post this in both threads, but regarding the stadium generally I'll just say that while I don't love the idea and would've liked to have seen the PawSox stay in Pawtucket, I'd like to see the actual details before I get totally enraged about it. RF1 says that the stadium would look for about $4M/yr from the state and calls that "a huge burden on the RI taxpayer" - I disagree, for $4M/yr the stadium would be a steal. That is a couple of bucks per taxpayer, not exactly a huge burden. My main issue is with taking the team from the people of Pawtucket. I'm not going to sharpen my pitchfork about a stadium in Providence until it is made clearer to me that it is a boondoggle. (I can certainly understand, given the state's history, why people would assume it would be, I'd just rather evaluate each situation separately.)
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I'm as pro-development/construction and pro-stimulus as anyone, but I just don't see where a taxpayer investment would be equaled by the economic benefits produced. With the recent influx of residential development and the amount of cultural activities and commerce already in the city, downtown Providence is not a ghost town after 5pm as it once was and does not need a "revival". The small incremental benefit to city businesses may be offset from the increased public services the stadium will need, nevermind the subsidies the PawSox owners are looking for. All that this relocation does is allow the owners to increase ticket prices and make a profit from parking revenues.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:People are in the other thread killing the Providence Stadium idea. I don't particularly love it, either, but if they're going to build it I love the idea of us playing some games there. Hopefully football-use would be considered in the design of the stadium.

Also, I'm not going to post this in both threads, but regarding the stadium generally I'll just say that while I don't love the idea and would've liked to have seen the PawSox stay in Pawtucket, I'd like to see the actual details before I get totally enraged about it. RF1 says that the stadium would look for about $4M/yr from the state and calls that "a huge burden on the RI taxpayer" - I disagree, for $4M/yr the stadium would be a steal. That is a couple of bucks per taxpayer, not exactly a huge burden. My main issue is with taking the team from the people of Pawtucket. I'm not going to sharpen my pitchfork about a stadium in Providence until it is made clearer to me that it is a boondoggle. (I can certainly understand, given the state's history, why people would assume it would be, I'd just rather evaluate each situation separately.)
Agree, good post.

(my boondoggle antenna is up tho)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I may be the only one but I love the idea of the stadium in Providence.
Right by the river
Keeps the Red Sox Triple A Team in Rhode Island
Land that was available anyway
Central location
Helps tourism for the city of Providence and the State in General
Gives Rhode Island a new arena - first one since the Ryan Center
Corruption and hand outs are part of Rhode Island history - not going to change quickly - but not enough or a reason to me to just rebuke the Stadium and lose the Red Sox Triple A Team to another state.
There are plusses and minuses but there is NO way the Paw Sox are going to remain in Pawtucket - that ship sailed
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Looking at this from the owner's perspective, if I wanted to build a new ballpark and the state of Rhode Island asks me to keep the ballpark in Rhode Island and I was dumping 85 million of my own money into it, why would I not ask for some form of taxpayer subsidy--especially since all minor league ballparks around the country are partially subsidized by taxpayers? I'm not saying I agree with this proposal but I am really curious on the projected return on investment (i.e. sales tax revenues, local economy, etc.) that would cover or exceed that $4 million/year.

I think most RI'ers have 38 studious in the back of their heads and I don't blame them for being skeptical to fork over another $120 million over 30 years. It will be interesting to see how the governor, mayor and GA handle this in the coming months.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm with you Ramster, but I'm not a fan of the state providing the owners with $2-$4 million every year.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:I'm with you Ramster, but I'm not a fan of the state providing the owners with $2-$4 million every year.
In terms of public money, that really is a minuscule amount.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Last year when I was saying it was time to cure or kill the football program, several posters said we can't kill the football program because of the value the program brings in allowing people to be on campus in the fall and tailgating and all those great things. Now those same people are saying that it's a great idea to play our games in a baseball stadium 37 miles away from campus where you can't tailgate.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Providence doesn't need a AAA baseball team. If they want to purchase the land and build there? I guess thats fine.

But the city shouldn't court the Pawsox.

Stadium's aren't an economic boon when they house pro teams, let alone the Pawtucket Redsox. People went because you could eat a hotdog and find a cheap seat. Its a family thing.

They would have to book a ton of other events to make it worth it. Baseball across the country is on the decline, let alone the AAA market. Hotdog and a seat.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I thought I heard Skeffington say that the 4 million number was incorrect and that it was 2 million. Being from MA, I don't really care, but my preference, if I was still living in RI, would be to stay in Pawtucket.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Providence doesn't need a AAA baseball team. If they want to purchase the land and build there? I guess thats fine.

Stadium's aren't an economic boon when they house pro teams, let alone the Pawtucket Redsox. People went because you could eat a hotdog and find a cheap seat. Its a family thing.

They would have to book a ton of other events to make it worth it. Baseball across the country is on the decline, let alone the AAA market. Hotdog and a seat.
I've been to probably ONE maybe two PawSox games in the past 20 years, and I believe that one was a work outing. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's seasonal low wage jobs, the clientele of the games is not going to be rushing for a meal on Federal Hill or at Hemenway's after the game. If anything if it's a group of 20-somethings they may go to Whiskey Republic after? Other than that I really do not know anyone who goes to games at McCoy as it is. I don't see a big influx of fans to a game if the team were to move to Providence.

What they should do is give incentive to companies who are looking to expand to RI (wishful thinking, I know). I've actually met people from MA and CT who are actually surprised that "young professionals" like myself actually still live in RI. Now that's depressing and embarrassing that the state has Detroit-level reputation.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would like to play some, not all, of the games in Providence. Seems like the perfect solution, actually.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote:I thought I heard Skeffington say that the 4 million number was incorrect and that it was 2 million.
The number is $4 million per year. He's saying it will only cost the state $2 million per year because he's assuming $2 million that the state will generate from other channels such as workers taxes and revenue generated around the ballpark, which is optimistic and can't be assumed at all. He's being totally disingenuous about that fact along with many others. He's also claiming that this is being built with all private funds and they're taking all the risk. Again, that is false. Instead of having the state build the ballpark with state money and then leasing/renting to the team, the team will build the ballpark with their own up front money but the $4 million per year over 30 years represents the team getting their entire ballpark built by state money plus 2.39% interest. There's no risk to the team, their entire $85 million will be recouped and then some. The state takes all the risk in this transaction because if keeping the team in RI and associated income doesn't top $4 million, which the team itself admits it won't by at least half then the state loses that money. And by doing it this way the team can capture all parking, ticket, concessions, and venue naming rights revenue without sharing with the state, because "they're building it with their own money". And that's just the ballpark financing, that doesn't even get into Pawtucket representatives demanding their city be "made whole" from losing the team to Providence and Providence's city politician's demanding to be "made whole" for the property taxes that the team won't pay on this land according to their plan. It's a tremendous fleecing of the state at every level.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The team is saying 12-14 college football games a year. URI has 5 home games scheduled for 2015, Brown has 5, and Bryant had 6 last year. They're not looking for a game or two, they're looking to be the primary home for all the teams in the state. At most we should play two games in the new stadium a year, the annual game against Brown and an annual game against Bryant. Anything extra is A. Unacceptable and B. Completely kills the argument pro-football people have been making. And that doesn't even get into the fact that baseball stadiums are terrible venues for watching and playing football.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I honestly do not have time to flesh out detailed rebuttals to all of your points, but I would make a heavily-caveated argument that if the right balance could be struck between games in Kingston and games in Providence, and if the stadium could be built in a way that is football-friendly, that playing a few games in a new stadium in Providence could help the program with exposure and in recruiting. The value of having a football atmosphere on campus is still there, IMO, but if you could get some of the benefit of having a new stadium without having to spend any money in the process, then sacrificing a little of that value is reasonable. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Taylor Swift wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Providence doesn't need a AAA baseball team. If they want to purchase the land and build there? I guess thats fine.

I've been to probably ONE maybe two PawSox games in the past 20 years, and I believe that one was a work outing. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's seasonal low wage jobs, the clientele of the games is not going to be rushing for a meal on Federal Hill or at Hemenway's after the game. If anything if it's a group of 20-somethings they may go to Whiskey Republic after? Other than that I really do not know anyone who goes to games at McCoy as it is. I don't see a big influx of fans to a game if the team were to move to Providence.

What they should do is give incentive to companies who are looking to expand to RI (wishful thinking, I know). I've actually met people from MA and CT who are actually surprised that "young professionals" like myself actually still live in RI. Now that's depressing and embarrassing that the state has Detroit-level reputation.
Yeah, I don't live there. I do hold on to some delusion that I could move back. Maybe I will get hired selling something in the new stadium.. if my cousin or uncle can get me in.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Not interested in watching football in a baseball stadium.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Skeffington's fleece.

Can't help but think of the character Frank Skeffington from the book the Last Hurrah (based on James Michael Curley) when I hear his name.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I love the fact that they state that other venues are quite willing to pony up the money to get them to move there....so go....please.....don't extort us.......a bunch of rich old white guys looking to prop up their investment with public money....see ya
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brown might use the stadium but I doubt URI and Bryant would play many games there each season. I think this is just more crap to throw out to gain more support. It may appeal to fans of the schools and would counter the seasonal argument generally associated with a baseball stadium. I think it is more blarney to help get this passed and wouldn't really come to fruition.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

My daughter is graduating law school next month.....maybe she can get a high paying job selling peanuts and popcorn in this vital part of the I-195 land.....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It just seems like they're tossing out bullshit ideas to try
to lure anyone in.
I have never seen a baseball stadium that was suited for football.
Maybe The Mistake By The Lake in Cleveland, because it was bowl shaped and
held 86,000 people.
Like URI is going to draw flies in Providence.
As for 4 million a year being nothing, how many real jobs could that pay for?
I'm not for the public sector being a jobs creator, but I'd rather see money spent
on people, who would pay taxes, than a bunch of millionaires lining their pockets.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You knew they were going to pull the extortion trick.
So, is Worcester in a position to bankroll them?
Is the MA Legislature ready to jump in bed, just because
it's a Red Sox affiliate?
Is Hartford ready to do the same.
Fuck them. Let them go.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote:I love the fact that they state that other venues are quite willing to pony up the money to get them to move there....so go....please.....don't extort us.......a bunch of rich old white guys looking to prop up their investment with public money....see ya

Worcester has been cited a a possible location for the Paw Sox. I however don't buy that it is a plausible option. Massachusetts has generally been an exception to using public funding for pro sports venues. Fenway Park, TD Garden, and Gillette Stadium were all entirely privately financed and there are no subsidies. All that was provided were infrastructure improvements. I don't think the state of MA would go for this type of deal and the Worcester area has very little clout in state politics (everything in MA is centered on the Boston and the area within Rte 128). I also don't think that the City of Worcester could swing this on their own.

I went to college in Worcester. It is only the 2nd largest city in New England because its land mass is so large (2x Providence area). It is not a big metro area. It has no tv station and its newspaper has a small reach. Media promotion of a team would be tough. The city really seems to gravitate all its energy toward Boston and not within. Furthermore, pro sports teams have not fared well in Worcester as support has been spotty. They will soon lose their 2nd AHL team in the last 15 years.

I think the other town threat is a bluff. I call them on it.

Some statistics on the cities and metro areas of New England and a comparison of the towns/cities around Providence and Worcester.

CITY | LAND AREA SQ MILES | POP | DENSITY | METRO POP
Providence | 18.5 | 177,994 | 9,621 /sq mi | 1,604,291
Hartford | 17.3 | 124,893 | 7,219 /sq mi | 1,212,381
Bridgeport | 16.0 | 147,216 | 9,201 /sq mi | 939,904
Worcester | 37.6 | 182,544 | 4,855 /sq mi | 923,672
New Haven | 18.7 | 130,741 | 6,991 /sq mi | 862,477
Springfield | 32.1 | 153,060 | 4,768 /sq mi | 698,903
Manchester | 33.1 | 110,378 | 3,335 /sq mi | 403,895

Cities/Towns near Providence
Warwick 82,672
Cranston 80,387
Pawtucket 71,148
East Providence 47,037
North Providence 32,078
Johnston 28,769

Cities/Towns near Worcester
Shrewsbury 35,608
Grafton 17,765
Holden 17,346
Auburn 16,188
Millbury 13,261
West Boylston 7,669
Paxton 4,806
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Foxboro would make sense if it fits into Patriot Place.......smaller venue than Gillette.....another set of dates for people to travel there and some up and coming outdoor concerts that wouldn't fill the big stadium......the infrastructure is already there....let them build it with their own money....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hartford is a no go. They just broke ground for a 56 million dollar stadium in the city for a AA team (would move from New Britain). It will seat only 9000. In addition, the Red Sox name does not have as much value in CT as Hartford is basically the dividing line between allegiance to the Boston or NYC teams. I don't see them going there.

The Providence metro region is the 2nd most populous in New England, is easily accessible to the Boston area, and has strong connections to the Boston pro sports teams. It is no coincidence that the Red Sox and Bruins currently have their farm teams here or why the Patriots and Celtics had training camps in RI in the past. The location of Gillette Stadium halfway between Boston and Providence is another indicator of the significance of the RI market. This market is very important to the Boston teams. The Paw Sox have a history of great success and tradition/connections in this market. Moving them elsewhere would be a big gamble that I don't think would be a wise business decision. Most all of the new ownership has strong ties to RI making a move highly unlikely. I think moving out of state is a calculated but idle threat being thrown out to tap into the insecurity (or inferiority complex) of Rhode Islanders.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We don't need a AAA team. We already have a AAA General Assembly.

They should have tried this when Don "I love pro athletes" Carcieri was Gov.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Last year when I was saying it was time to cure or kill the football program, several posters said we can't kill the football program because of the value the program brings in allowing people to be on campus in the fall and tailgating and all those great things. Now those same people are saying that it's a great idea to play our games in a baseball stadium 37 miles away from campus where you can't tailgate.
Yep
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Move PawSox to Providence? 'Nooooooooo,' say fans

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... 2/BUSINESS
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's all negotiation 101. Always the threat to pack up and move comes up.
0 x