Pawsox Sold, Potentially Moving

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it

What do you think of the Pawsox sale?

It's bad, and I wish they would stay in Pawtucket.
53%
I'm in favor of the team moving to Providence.
31%
I'd prefer that the team move to Massachusetts.
7%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 45

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Re: Pawsox Sold, Potentially Moving

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 3 months ago

SGreenwell wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I see the issues with the funding aspects, although they have been transparent and created some interesting diagrams showing who pays what, and about the possible return on investment. Everything in life is a risk, but it just seems like a good enough deal to me. I just wish people would stop seeing this as "why help a billionaire"....because he can give us what any sports fan wants, a beautiful new stadium so we can continue those same traditions since the early 70s and to give the dying city of Pawtucket a jump start. Not to defend him (luhccino) but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to make money in life.

Pretty much every study on ballparks and stadiums shows that it doesn't have much of an economic impact, though. On game days, sure, you do OK with people in the immediate area. But even MLB teams only play 81 home games, meaning you usually have prime city real estate dormant for the other 180 days (365 minus weekends). The jobs you're creating are usually seasonal or temporary as a result.

I understand there can be a prestige or pride thing associated with having a pro sports team, but if you wanted to actually improve the city, a better option would just be to give the check to Google or Amazon or Good Business Of Your Choice Here, and tell them it's $40M free as long as they stay for X years. (This option usually isn't politically tenable though, whereas in the past it was usually easier to pass or get support for some sort of stadium bond.)

As Ramster points out, RI did this with 38 Studios. I'm not against that, I just kind of wish the state had chosen an established company in a growing industry, instead of giving it a guy with almost no experience in a new field that's incredibly volatile.

This may also help answer some questions, I'm especially excited about the first few bullet points about it being an "park in the park that is accessible year round to the public"
Attachments
20376164_1460556273983360_851151938449446654_n.jpg
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 3 months ago

I'm really surprised URI fans are in favor of this. I'd love the PawSox to stay if the deal is right, but make no mistake, this stadium is our enemy. When it comes time for URI to request money for Meade, critics will say we can't afford it and the state already has an empty stadium in the fall and they'll point to UConn and UMass and how they play off campus. The only way this stadium helps and doesn't hurt URI is if a powerful legislator is able to include an amendment that includes Meade funding in any bill that gives the PawSox money.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

RF1
Sly Williams

Unread postby RF1 » 3 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm really surprised URI fans are in favor of this. I'd love the PawSox to stay if the deal is right, but make no mistake, this stadium is our enemy. When it comes time for URI to request money for Meade, critics will say we can't afford it and the state already has an empty stadium in the fall and they'll point to UConn and UMass and how they play off campus. The only way this stadium helps and doesn't hurt URI is if a powerful legislator is able to include an amendment that includes Meade funding in any bill that gives the PawSox money.

The opposite logic ruled back in the late 1990's when McCoy had its big renovation. The state investment in McCoy was used as leverage FOR the Ryan Center. The argument was that the state must certainly have money for a sports venue for its state university if it had been able to spend some ten million on a sports stadium for a private concern. Some lawmakers were actually shamed into supporting the Ryan Center based on their support for a renovated ballpark.
1 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

Paw Sox Final Home Attendance from today's PROJO

Pawtucket’s season attendance finished at 409,960, an average of 6,406 over 64 home dates. That’s a slight uptick from last year’s total of 407,097 — the fewest fans the PawSox had drawn since 1991 — and considerably more than the average of 6,067 over 67 home dates.
0 x

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 months ago

One less argument against a new stadium. People obviously still love pawsox games. Great to see.
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

Rhody74
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhody74 » 2 months ago

0 x
“What comes next is going to be big, and it’s going to be beautiful.”

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

They're holding one of the hearings at URI. Might not be a bad idea to pack the Swan Auditorium and say what about a new Meade Stadium
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

RF1
Sly Williams

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:They're holding one of the hearings at URI. Might not be a bad idea to pack the Swan Auditorium and say what about a new Meade Stadium

Even better. Move it to Meade Stadium. Make the RI state senators sit in the east stands.
2 x

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

Right at the top before the press box!
0 x

Return to “All Pro Sports”