Pawsox Sold, Moving to Worcester

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it

What do you think of the Pawsox sale?

It's bad, and I wish they would stay in Pawtucket.
55%
I'm in favor of the team moving to Providence.
27%
I'd prefer that the team move to Massachusetts.
7%
I don't care.
11%

Total votes: 56

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Pawsox Sold, Potentially Moving

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:Move PawSox to Providence? 'Nooooooooo,' say fans

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... 2/BUSINESS
The projo is not helping by doing this piece and including mostly quotes from the type of consumers that businesses don't value. If you want to make the ownership question the move, get quotes from a bunch of 25-35 year olds talking about how moving out of Pawtucket "isn't cool." Otherwise, the people making the decisions don't care. The fact that they didn't (and likely couldn't) is part of the reason this is going to happen, I'm sure.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would have to call their bluff. Why would Skeffington purchase the team to just move it far from his home? Worcester? I'm not sure that is even a lateral move from Pawtucket.

https://www.rifuture.org/is-jim-skeffin ... -team.html
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:

The projo is not helping by doing this piece and including mostly quotes from the type of consumers that businesses don't value. If you want to make the ownership question the move, get quotes from a bunch of 25-35 year olds talking about how moving out of Pawtucket "isn't cool." Otherwise, the people making the decisions don't care. The fact that they didn't (and likely couldn't) is part of the reason this is going to happen, I'm sure.

Those customers that you claim businesses don't value are the very people that have been patronizing games at McCoy for decades. The quest to add a few thousand more younger customers with a stadium in the city could very well alienate the far larger numbers that have supported the team all these years (namely families and retirees). Furthermore, there is no real evidence that these younger fans will actually consistently go to games. The fans that were interviewed have already demonstrated support.

I personally do not think these new owners know their team's customer base. The people that have supported the PawSox for these last few decades are mostly families with kids and retirees. They want an inexpensive no hassle night out. They are not looking to go out for dinner before or after games. They are not looking to frequent nearby bars. They do not want to fight city rush hour traffic to go to a game. They want inexpensive tickets and to park for free close to the stadium. Their idea of dinner is a few dogs at the park. While a new stadium in Providence may attract some new customers, I feel it risks alienating far bigger numbers. Prices would without a doubt go up. People would have to pay for parking and likely park further away. With most games at 7pm on weeknights, city rush hour traffic would be an issue. Families and retirees will not especially like these changes and likely go to far less games.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Those customers that you claim businesses don't value are the very people that have been patronizing games at McCoy for decades. The quest to add a few thousand more younger customers with a stadium in the city could very well alienate the far larger numbers that have supported the team all these years (namely families and retirees). Furthermore, there is no real evidence that these younger fans will actually consistently go to games. The fans that were interviewed have already demonstrated support.

I personally do not think these new owners know their team's customer base. The people that have supported the PawSox for these last few decades are mostly families with kids and retirees. They want an inexpensive no hassle night out. They are not looking to go out for dinner before or after games. They are not looking to frequent nearby bars. They do not want to fight city rush hour traffic to go to a game. They want inexpensive tickets and to park for free close to the stadium. Their idea of dinner is a few dogs at the park. While a new stadium in providence may attract some new customers, I feel it risks alienating far bigger numbers. Prices would without a doubt go up. People would have to pay for parking and likely park further away. With most games at 7pm on weeknights, city rush hour traffic would be an issue. Families and retirees will not especially like these changes and likely go to far less games.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, but the Yale MBA types that are going to be running the team now don't care about any of that. It is all about demographics. I'm not advocating for that way of thinking, I'm just saying that is what is going on.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: URI FB to get use of new stadium in Providence

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Thinking about this some more, I think if this stadium gets built it will become URI football's primary home going forward. They might play one game a year on campus, but the vast majority of games will be at the Providence stadium. If this gets built there will be tremendous pressure to hold as many events in the stadium as possible and partial owner Tom Ryan will use considerable behind the scenes pressure to make sure URI football is helping to fill up dates.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not happening.
URI would have to pay rent, leave their students behind,
people would have to be in traffic and pay parking.
No pressure Ryan could put on Thorr and Dooley would allow this
farce to happen.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is possibly the most Rhode Island argument ever. "Hey would you like your football program to get a brandy-new stadium for which it won't have to pay any of the construction costs (just marginal rent costs) and that is much closer to both the general population center and a larger base of alumni, instead of playing at possibly the worst football facility in North America?" "NO. IT WILL COST TAXPAYERS APPROXIMATELY $3 PER YEAR EACH AND SOME PEOPLE MAY HAVE TO DRIVE ALMOST 20 MILES TO GET THERE!!!!"
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Skeffington is the public face of the team, but I believe the primary owners are actually Larry Lucchino and Fenway Sports Group. So with that said I don't think moving the team is a bluff, I think moving the team is actually their goal, but because Rhode Island makes up a large portion of the Red Sox fan base they can't just move the team without giving RI the chance to keep the team without turning off a lot of Boston Red Sox fans that they count on. So they proposed this crummy deal for the state thinking it's a win-win, either they get a free ballpark built for them in Providence or they get to move the team and say they tried to make it work but RI was unwilling.

I think their desired goal is to move the team to Hartford. A new ballpark is already being built and it's supposedly designed to be expandable for a AAA team. So a brand new ballpark with no work to be done to negotiate with other places like Worcester or Foxboro. Also, again, remember the Lucchino/FSG angle. They're desperate to gain ground from the Yankees in CT and Lucchino hates the Yankees. Moving the PawSox to Hartford, right on the doorstep of Yankee country gives them a chance to try and solidify their support in central CT and chip away at the NYY dominance of western CT, which would not only help their baseball team, but also their network, NESN.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Typical knee jerk, "everything else is better" argument.
How many people came to see URI basketball at the PCC?
Look it up. Even with Harrick and Lamar.
coming off an Elite 8, they drew flies, unless they were playing PC.
Like the alums in Greater Providence are so enraptured in football.
Give me a break.
You don't even live in this state, so don't tell us what we should pay
our taxes on!
Why aren't you asking for some bullshit deal with the State to fix up Meade?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Anybody that's watched the NFL over the last 30+ years know that baseball stadiums suck for football both for players and fans. It's why the trend of sport specific stadiums started. The viewing angles are terrible for fans and playing football where there was a dirt infield makes for a sloppy mess early in the football season and makes for terrible footing late in the year when sod covers where the infield was. Let's not act like this stadium will be good for URI football. It will be brand new and have a lot of seats, that doesn't mean the stadium will be good for football.

Also, Ryan wouldn't necessarily need to charge the team rent, look at UMass football's agreement with Bob Kraft. The team plays in Foxboro for free with Kraft making his money on concessions. That would be the model for Ryan and the new stadium. And with how much Ryan donates and his ability to shut off future contributions, he absolutely has the power to make this happen.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I have not seen Tom Ryan's name mentioned with the Pawsox
new ownership.Maybe I missed it.
I don't see him putting the squeeze on the school for whatever small percentage
that Skefington and Lucchino don't own.

Edit: OK, I got the list and there's TEN owners, including four with Red Sox connections.
So Ryan is likely a 5%or less owner, who like Terrance Murray, lent his name and likely
not much money to this project.
Not enough on the line to put his reputation to the test.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Tom Ryan is in the new ownership group along with Terry Murray along with Skeffington, Lucchino and Fenway Sports Group.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Typical knee jerk, "everything else is better" argument.
How many people came to see URI basketball at the PCC?
Look it up. Even with Harrick and Lamar.
coming off an Elite 8, they drew flies, unless they were playing PC.
Like the alums in Greater Providence are so enraptured in football.
Give me a break.
You don't even live in this state, so don't tell us what we should pay
our taxes on!
Why aren't you asking for some bullshit deal with the State to fix up Meade?
I don't live in the state, and part of the reason I don't hate this idea is because this would make it 100X easier for me to get to games. Having said that, I would much prefer to fix/replace Meade with a real stadium. If given that choice, I'd be with you 100%. But we don't realistically have that choice.

As far as URI playing at the Civic Center in the 90s, I'm probably biased about this but I think it was the right thing to do to play bigger opponents there. I loved the atmosphere in Keaney as much as anyone, but it was too small. As soon as they built the Ryan, it stopped making sense to play in Providence, so they stopped doing it.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

:lol: :lol: :lol: So Rhody football is now playing the Pawsox!? Maybe we can get a win!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Tailgating is good or very good at Meade,not great.
I see a lot of the same faces at FB games regardless of the policy.
Attendance was great ( for a team that one game) last year,not good.
A big part of that is the marketing,URI has done a very good job with its outreach.
Part of that is scheduling,who you play and where. Look at Harvard being added,getting some buzz.
I plan on being in meade game this year and Boston. College FB belongs primarily on campus,playing two or three games in providence at new field would help though (under lights,maybe). The issue will be who pays for this? The real hammer is the Paw Sox leaving.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Skeffington is the public face of the team, but I believe the primary owners are actually Larry Lucchino and Fenway Sports Group. So with that said I don't think moving the team is a bluff, I think moving the team is actually their goal, but because Rhode Island makes up a large portion of the Red Sox fan base they can't just move the team without giving RI the chance to keep the team without turning off a lot of Boston Red Sox fans that they count on. So they proposed this crummy deal for the state thinking it's a win-win, either they get a free ballpark built for them in Providence or they get to move the team and say they tried to make it work but RI was unwilling.

I think their desired goal is to move the team to Hartford. A new ballpark is already being built and it's supposedly designed to be expandable for a AAA team. So a brand new ballpark with no work to be done to negotiate with other places like Worcester or Foxboro. Also, again, remember the Lucchino/FSG angle. They're desperate to gain ground from the Yankees in CT and Lucchino hates the Yankees. Moving the PawSox to Hartford, right on the doorstep of Yankee country gives them a chance to try and solidify their support in central CT and chip away at the NYY dominance of western CT, which would not only help their baseball team, but also their network, NESN.

I disagree. The ownership group includes Rhode Islanders other than Skeffington. Tom Ryan and Terrence Murray are also part of it.

I also don't think Hartford is in play given the value of the Red Sox brand is much less there than it would be in RI, MA, NH, or ME. Furthermore, much of the PawSox customer base comes from the area near Boston. Most all of these fans would be turned off with the added distance if in Hartford. I haven't heard anything about Hartford as a possibility. Worcester or Gillette Stadium seem to be the two locations most referenced.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My sources indicate the politicos in Providence are hot for the Pawsox to move there.......as they are hot for this new electric trolley system being explored....both bad ideas in my humble opinion....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Public transportation is always a good idea. Providence should be embarrassed not to have a subway or a trolley.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramulous wrote:My sources indicate the politicos in Providence are hot for the Pawsox to move there.......as they are hot for this new electric trolley system being explored....both bad ideas in my humble opinion....
I like the trolley system more than the stadium. As TP says, at least with public transit, there are accessory benefits that probably aren't easy to measure. (i.e. Getting more cars off the road lightens the congestion for the rest of us.) Public subsidiaries for stadiums are pretty much always a horrible investment, although they gain support usually because the sports team is such a visible part of the community. "Four million to keep the Sawx in Rhode Island!" is probably an easier sell in some ways than "four million to create a great office park!", even if the latter will provide a much more tangible benefit.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Providence should be embarrassed to not have a subway!?

That is a delusional comment.

There is also a subway right across the street from the Biltmore.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You need a subway or a trolley or something. It doesn't matter if it is above or below ground, but you aren't a real city without one.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Thinking about this some more, I think if this stadium gets built it will become URI football's primary home going forward. They might play one game a year on campus, but the vast majority of games will be at the Providence stadium. If this gets built there will be tremendous pressure to hold as many events in the stadium as possible and partial owner Tom Ryan will use considerable behind the scenes pressure to make sure URI football is helping to fill up dates.
No way. I think you are way off base.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Let me ask this:
1.Do the esteemed members of this board think the state will try to keep the Paw Sox ?
2. Is a new stadium a must for Paw Sox to stay or are they bluffing?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Let me ask this:
1.Do the esteemed members of this board think the state will try to keep the Paw Sox ?
2. Is a new stadium a must for Paw Sox to stay or are they bluffing?

See PawSox stadium discussion thread on ALL PRO SPORTS board:
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4517
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm just so glad this state has no real say over URI. The db's in the state house would screw up making kraft mac and cheese. It's all for pay. The state government (if you could call it that) are all shyster lawyers looking to line their pockets. Luckily we send about 2 per year to jail for corruption. But many get away. And I'm sure some will go away after this is done.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote:I'm just so glad this state has no real say over URI. The db's in the state house would screw up making kraft mac and cheese. It's all for pay. The state government (if you could call it that) are all shyster lawyers looking to line their pockets. Luckily we send about 2 per year to jail for corruption. But many get away. And I'm sure some will go away after this is done.

Haha! Well said.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

URI football should be in Kingston

Unread post by OBRAM »

Part of the whole Idea of URI football, is going to Kingston in the nice fall air, tailgating. I am not in favor of playing more than one game a year in Providence, and even 1 game may be to many for me.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Skeffington is the public face of the team, but I believe the primary owners are actually Larry Lucchino and Fenway Sports Group. So with that said I don't think moving the team is a bluff, I think moving the team is actually their goal, but because Rhode Island makes up a large portion of the Red Sox fan base they can't just move the team without giving RI the chance to keep the team without turning off a lot of Boston Red Sox fans that they count on. So they proposed this crummy deal for the state thinking it's a win-win, either they get a free ballpark built for them in Providence or they get to move the team and say they tried to make it work but RI was unwilling.

I disagree. The ownership group includes Rhode Islanders other than Skeffington. Tom Ryan and Terrence Murray are also part of it.

I also don't think Hartford is in play given the value of the Red Sox brand is much less there than it would be in RI, MA, NH, or ME. Furthermore, much of the PawSox customer base comes from the area near Boston. Most all of these fans would be turned off with the added distance if in Hartford. I haven't heard anything about Hartford as a possibility. Worcester or Gillette Stadium seem to be the two locations most referenced.
People on message boards might reference Worcester or Foxboro, but Hartford is the leading candidate by far between those locations. It's currently building a park just shy of AAA requirements that is easily adaptable to AAA standards. Worcester and Foxboro don't currently have fields that could be upgraded to anything close to AAA standards.

The teams owners aren't just interested in building a ballpark, they'll want to be actively involved in developments around the park. There are two buildings around the ballpark that say future development on the ballpark map submitted by the PawSox in addition to their proposed garage. The Hartford ballpark is looking for people to develop the surrounding area. Any ballpark in Foxboro will just serve to funnel business to Robert Kraft's developments, that's not attractive at all to the new owners.

As for geographic location. Foxboro is in the middle of nowhere with no population density to draw from and there aren't enough MBTA funds to have a dedicated train line to any stadium, so they're out. You mention the other RI owners, but if they're willing to move to Worcester they'd be willing to move to Hartford.

Finally, fan base. Businesses in every field are constantly looking to expand their base. How often do you see deals for existing customers? Now often do you see ads from companies looking to give people a great deal if they switch from their current service? Larry Lucchino and Fenway Sports Group would have no interest in Worcester because it doesn't expand their base. It's just drawing people that are already Red Sox fans. Hartford allows Lucchino, FSG, the Red Sox and NESN an entry way to expand their base and help turn more and more of CT into Red Sox territory, while weakening their archrival's hold. It's Providence or Hartford.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As I wrote in other threads, I strongly disagree that Hartford is in play for the Boston Red Sox AAA team. The park there is being built for a AA team which is moving from nearby New Britain. It is far along in the process (well before the PawSox were sold) having already had its groundbreaking. Furthermore as I stated before, the Red Sox brand is weaker in Hartford and CT than any other state in New England. I don't see the new ownership seriously considering Hartford. In fact it seems no media is even mentioning Hartford.

The new ownership has three very high profile RI people in its ranks - Skeffington, Ryan, and Murray. I doubt that they bought the team with the intent to move it out of state.

Furthermore, if the PawSox were to ever move to Hartford, the RI market (including McCoy) would then be available for another farm team to move to since the geographic exclusivity rule would not apply given the distance to the next nearest team. Given the good track record of minor league baseball in this area, it would be an attractive option. I can't see new ownership wanting another team in the region closer to Boston.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A cautionary tale of a downtown minor league ballpark in a large northeast city

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/ ... again.html

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Following RI tradition, the new owners of the Pawtucket Red Sox will meet with the I-195 Commission Monday 04-27-15 in a back room behind closed doors. I guess the new owners don't really care much for transparency. One wonders what they want to hide. If they want the public to pick up the tab, why then do they keep them in the dark?

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... aking_ajax
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I guess the new owners have changed course and are now asking for an open session meeting. I would think their PR firm advised this action in consideration of their appeal for a handout from taxpayers.

Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:Following RI tradition, the new owners of the Pawtucket Red Sox will meet with the I-195 Commission Monday 04-27-15 in a back room behind closed doors. I guess the new owners don't really care much for transparency. One wonders what they want to hide. If they want the public to pick up the tab, why then do they keep them in the dark?

Either that or the I-195 Commission didn't care for the transparency either - this is the Rhode Island Government we are talking about after all.
Commission may want Providence Red Sox season tickets for life? or maybe Boston Red Sox season tickets for life too?
Don't underestimate RI Government Officials in closed door meetings - they didn't read the book - they wrote the whole series.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would seem it is not the commission that is against transparency. They want details but the new owners are still trying to keep some info private despite their plea for a public handout. "We're certainly willing to have discussions with them, but as a private company, our financial information is confidential," Skeffington said.

195 panel seeks details from PawSox owners
By Kate Bramson

Journal Staff Writer
Posted Apr. 24, 2015 at 11:15 PM

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RF1 wrote:It would seem it is not the commission that is against transparency. They want details but the new owners are still trying to keep some info private despite their plea for a public handout. "We're certainly willing to have discussions with them, but as a private company, our financial information is confidential," Skeffington said.

By Kate Bramson

Journal Staff Writer

"We really don't want to reveal how much money we really have," Skeffingtonius allegedly said, "and as an oligarch, the public has no right to know anything anyway. Just remember this: The Circus is coming back to Providence, and there's plenty of bread for everyone!"

Is it any wonder that Ancient Rome was built upon seven hills -- as was what has become Ancient Providence??????

You can make-up this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:
RF1 wrote:It would seem it is not the commission that is against transparency. They want details but the new owners are still trying to keep some info private despite their plea for a public handout. "We're certainly willing to have discussions with them, but as a private company, our financial information is confidential," Skeffington said.

By Kate Bramson

Journal Staff Writer

"We really don't want to reveal how much money we really have," Skeffingtonius allegedly said, "and as an oligarch, the public has no right to know anything anyway. Just remember this: The Circus is coming back to Providence, and there's plenty of bread for everyone!"

Is it any wonder that Ancient Rome was built upon seven hills -- as was what has become Ancient Providence??????

You can make-up this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plenty of bread for everybody? That's awesome, do we get water too?

How about exercise time thrown in and it's a deal �
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Providence councilman assails PawSox stadium proposal as 'squeeze play'
By Jennifer Bogdan

Journal State House Bureau
Posted Apr. 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dog and Pony show today.
Faux hearings, prior to the rubber stamping of
this disgusting project, to soak the taxpayers.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Providence councilman assails PawSox stadium proposal as 'squeeze play'
By Jennifer Bogdan

Journal State House Bureau
Posted Apr. 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM

The kind of wordplay used by the councilman is nauseating. I think he is probably right in what he is saying, but make your points like an adult.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Big city stadium use,under discussion

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... e=printart

Starting with last years great Meade attendance,glad to see they are in discussions with Red Sox!!
Shows ala adding Harvard,they are really marketing FB!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pointed questions, sharp criticism aimed at PawSox stadium proposal
By Kate Bramson

Journal Staff Writer
Posted Apr. 27, 2015 at 11:15 PM

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150429277
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Big city stadium use,under discussion

Hal Kopp wrote:http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... e=printart

Starting with last years great Meade attendance,glad to see they are in discussions with Red Sox!!
Shows ala adding Harvard,they are really marketing FB!!
How is playing Harvard or talking to the PawSox marketing the football program? Nobody cares about a game against Harvard, no one in the state is talking about the game, and no one in the area cares about Ivy League football. Last year Brown only got 13,511 for their game against Harvard, but that attendance was built on hyping a night game against one of their two biggest rivals and around their 250th anniversary celebration. Not exactly a massive box office triumph all things considered. So if Harvard only drew 67.6% capacity last year in RI with all those things in place, why should we expect it to be anything other than a standard non-conference game for us attendance wise with none of those things in place?

And talking to the PawSox, ie moving the games to Providence, isn't about marketing the program either. It's Tom Ryan trying to get extra money for him and his co-investors and the State trying to recoup some of the money they'll spend on building the stadium and doing so at the expense of the program you love. If the football team is going to play most of their games in a baseball stadium 35 miles from campus, killing the only good thing about the program in the process by keeping fans off campus, then there is no sense in even trying to cure the football program, it should be killed immediately.

It's comments like yours that make no sense and make so many of URI's football fans look like mindless honks. Not everything the football program does is good. In fact, based on its record, the vast majority of the things it's done over the last three decades or so are very poor.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

James Skeffington (age 73), the well connected Providence lawyer that was the President and lead person for the new ownership group of the PawSox, died last night at his home in Barrington while exercising. He was the person that was spearheading the team's effort to build a stadium in downtown Providence.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

That's a curveball.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Attleboro Sun Chronicle had a story titled "If not Providence, then where for PawSox?"

Based on their list, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of REAL VIABLE options.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/loc ... 88267.html

Excerpt:
INTERESTED, BUT...

Worcester, Massachusetts - In March, some members of the Worcester city council expressed an interest in luring the team to Worcester, New England's second-largest city after Boston. But in a statement to The Associated Press, Worcester City Manager Edward Augustus said officials there have no intention of using any public money for a private stadium. He said he'd be open to discussing deals that use private funds and make use of the city's existing facilities.

New Bedford, Massachusetts - In May, members of New Bedford's city council said they wanted the team to consider moving to the Whaling City. But Mayor Jon Mitchell told The Standard-Times later that month that the potential cost to the taxpayers makes the PawSox stadium proposal a "non-starter." A spokesman for Mitchell told The Associated Press the mayor had not had any contact with the team, and that he stood by his original comments.

---

NO COMMENT

Springfield, Massachusetts - A spokesman for the mayor told The Associated Press he hadn't heard anything about the possibility of bringing the PawSox to Springfield, which is about 24 miles north of Hartford, Connecticut. The spokesman said the team hadn't contacted the city, but he wouldn't respond to follow-up questions asking whether the city had contacted the team or whether officials there would support public money for a PawSox stadium.

New Britain, Connecticut - A spokesman for New Britain Mayor Erin Stewart said she wouldn't comment on whether the owners of the PawSox had reached out to the city, whether the city had reached out to the PawSox or what the city will do with its now-empty stadium, citing "confidentiality requirements." The New Britain Rock Cats, the Double-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies, is moving five miles away, to Hartford.

---

ALREADY OCCUPIED

Hartford, Connecticut - Connecticut's capital city recently acquired the New Britain Rock Cats by agreeing to build a new stadium, which will be funded by the city. A spokesman for the mayor said the team has signed a 25-year lease for the stadium, which broke ground in February.

Lowell, Massachusetts - Lowell is already home to the Lowell Spinners, a short-season Single-A team affiliate of the Red Sox. Mayor Rodney Elliott said officials there hadn't reached out to the PawSox and probably wouldn't, because the city is happy with the Spinners.

Burlington, Vermont - The largest city in Vermont, Burlington is home to the Vermont Lake Monsters, the short-season Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. A spokeswoman for the mayor said the city has not approached the PawSox and is happy with the Lake Monsters.

Officials from Manchester, New Hampshire, home to the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, and Portland, Maine, home to the Portland Sea Dogs, the Double-A affiliate of the Red Sox, did not respond to requests for comment.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Lucchino's bluff is all hot air.
This is turning into a joke.
The Mayor of Pawtucket demanded to see the plans showing that
it would take 68 million to renovate McCoy Stadium.
Crickets from the Pawsox group.
These people just seem to throw things out and believe that people
are stupid enough to buy into their lies.
Then again, maybe they're banking on the usual RI sheep mentality,
when it comes to politics.
Mattiello is knee deep in all this, so I'm betting they get their insane
sweetheart deal at taxpayer's expense.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The threats to go elsewhere are mostly idle in my opinion. The new owners will do everything possible to keep the team in the metro Providence market. The Providence metro region is the 2nd largest population center in New England. It is easily accessible to the larger Boston metro area. It is also predominately dominated by Red Sox fans (unlike areas of CT). The AAA Sox have a history of success in RI. I do not think that new ownership would want to take on the big risk of moving elsewhere. Given the ownership group won't likely get a sweetheart deal elsewhere, I don't think we will see them move to another market.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rodfromcranston wrote: Mattiello is knee deep in all this, so I'm betting they get their insane
sweetheart deal at taxpayer's expense.

That's the RI way!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Keep it in Pawtucket.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I have been President of the anti-Larry Club since Theo quit due to his meddling (the first time) in 2006. The guy is a jackass.
0 x